[MINI PRO][SK17][CICADA] Continuous electrostatic noise when the device is active

Do you have that noise?

• yes

Votes: 98 62.4%
  • no

Votes: 59 37.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Linkinsoldier

Jun 26, 2009
Munich
I think about returning the phone! I love it, the size is perfect, keyboard works well but:

- microphone is getting worse again
- bad 3G network coverage
- mine often loses the network for a few seconds
- small glitches on phone
- GPS accuracy is REALLY BAD

and the problem is: its getting worse (or at least it looks like it!).

I hope there is going to be a hardware revision which works fine, because I see no other phone with similar properties... but for now... I think its inacceptable...

kenaih

May 12, 2009
Does it really get worse?
It's not the first time I read that comment, so I wonder if this is happening to most or just a few of you...

Sent from my SK17a using XDA App

EL_BELLACO

Jan 27, 2011
Kenaih you think that is safe to buy that xperia mini pro sk17a black form amazon?

I really dont record videos whit the phone, only take photos, but not videos.

What do u think, right now i have xperia x8 and i want a phone whit keyboard and xperia mini pro sk17a is just what i whant.

sorry for my bad english.

Linkinsoldier

Jun 26, 2009
Munich
Does it really get worse?

Well, thats hard to say because thats something you can easily get wrong. but i can say this:

On my last sk17i, i didnt hear much noice but in the end I could hardly make a call without problems (partner could not hear me).

On this phone, the noice is hardly noticeable during calls (thank you!), but in the last few days i got a few complains during call and more calls got interupted because of network failure.
But this could be a coincidence on this phone. On the other phone, I'm REALLY sure it got worse... but this could have been a faulty phone.

Do you guys have GPS problems as well or is it just my phone?

kenaih

May 12, 2009
Kenaih you think that is safe to buy that xperia mini pro sk17a black form amazon?

I really dont record videos whit the phone, only take photos, but not videos.

What do u think, right now i have xperia x8 and i want a phone whit keyboard and xperia mini pro sk17a is just what i whant.

Hola EL_BELLACO,
This phone is way better than x8 (I had a xperia x8 before too), until now i've been able to speak without any problems with the amazon mini pro: skype, internet calls, local calls, everything is fine....
The cracket sound while recording videos is not so noticeable on my phone, I didn't notice anything odd while doing videoconference either, so I'm really happy in general terms.

The only thing that worries me is the fact the noise can get worse 'till the point to really be noticeable even in calls as some people reported...

So, in a nutshell, that noise problem DOES exist on the amazon xperia too, but is really tiny, and a fix is supposed to be released next month... so I would personally go for it, but if you want to be sure... wait 1 month more 'till the fix is released... also, if my phone starts getting problems I will report it here, so you can be up to date.

sorry for my bad english.
No problem, I'm not an english native speaker either :)

Linkinsoldier said:
Do you guys have GPS problems as well or is it just my phone?

GPS goes just perfect for me, actually the response is faster than my old xperia x8

Last edited:
Reactions: EL_BELLACO

Linkinsoldier

Jun 26, 2009
Munich
GPS goes just perfect for me, actually the response is faster than my old xperia x8

Ok thats odd. I'll double check mine in the next few days. Maybe it was not happy to be awake at 6 am ;)

The only thing that worries me is the fact the noise can get worse 'till the point to really be noticeable even in calls as some people reported...

The noice is not making it hard for me, but for the person on the other end, because sometimes the mic is not as good... I would definitely keep my phone if it wasnt for the mic problems and the network problems. But especially the network problems can be related to network problems which arent the responsibility of the phone.

So again: i think if you have your phone for about 2 weeks and you dont have problems, I THINK (cant guarantee it... sorry!) you are fine.

If its getting worse, to me it seems like its only in first 10 days..

prinzhernan

Sep 3, 2010
Hi. I bought this phone just yesterday. It's made on week 33. Tired to reproduce the noise but I can't hear anything.

Edit: when recording video, the cricket sound comes out

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Last edited:

EL_BELLACO

Jan 27, 2011
Hola EL_BELLACO,
This phone is way better than x8 (I had a xperia x8 before too), until now i've been able to speak without any problems with the amazon mini pro: skype, internet calls, local calls, everything is fine....
The cracket sound while recording videos is not so noticeable on my phone, I didn't notice anything odd while doing videoconference either, so I'm really happy in general terms.

So, in a nutshell, that noise problem DOES exist on the amazon xperia too, but is really tiny, and a fix is supposed to be released next month... so I would personally go for it, but if you want to be sure... wait 1 month more 'till the fix is released... also, if my phone starts getting problems I will report it here, so you can be up to date.

No problem, I'm not an english native speaker either :)

Ohh thx for all man, i think im buying one this week :D

kenaih

May 12, 2009
Ok thats odd. I'll double check mine in the next few days. Maybe it was not happy to be awake at 6 am ;)

The noice is not making it hard for me, but for the person on the other end, because sometimes the mic is not as good... I would definitely keep my phone if it wasnt for the mic problems and the network problems. But especially the network problems can be related to network problems which arent the responsibility of the phone.

So again: i think if you have your phone for about 2 weeks and you dont have problems, I THINK (cant guarantee it... sorry!) you are fine.

If its getting worse, to me it seems like its only in first 10 days..

Good to know, I hope nothing odd happens in the next few days, because I love this phone so far.

THANK YOU

Sent from my SK17a using XDA App

prinzhernan

Sep 3, 2010
So is it really a hardware problem? I'm not sure if I believe that it's just the software.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

panamamike

Jan 27, 2011
Mine doesnt do it anymore :O
ive done a lot of flashing, restoring, repairing and the static noise just stopped :O

Have you checked for a low ticking sound? I did a few more tests of my phone to determine if I could hear the static noise. I don't get the obvious static noise, but if I do a quiet environment recording and turn the volume all the way up, I can here a very consistent ticking noise. It actually shows up on the equalizer as a low frequency tick.

In reality, this shouldn't be an issue since normal sound should mask the ticking, but it is a bit of a downer.

But really, who am I kidding, if I had to pick between low resolution video and 720p with this low lick, 720p wins. Additionally, I'm more let down by the low light video dithering noise than the ticking.

Mike

Izzy Stinson

Aug 12, 2011
Wtf? No offense, but I dont have this problem on my xperia mini pro. Am I lucky? Lol :D

Sent from my SK17i using XDA App

brapicoco

May 29, 2011
crap, im really excited to buy this unit and all the complaints about the product prevents me from purchasing the phone. i really like the phone because it resembles the size of my x8 and i hope that this is more likely to be a software issue, i think SE should call for a product recall.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!

I've got some strange electrostatic noise from the back side of my mini pro (when the screen is on and even off - just listen to it longer). And it turned out that the problem is common for new mini pro (some people just doesn't mention it). Looks like it is hardware one, so it could harm overall device work in the future (no one know when). So this thread was started to collect all related info: reasons, workarounds, solutions, official comments etc. If you're sk17 owner, please, take part in this thread (check instructions below).

Sony tells that the problem was solved. So if you have this issue:
    1. Update the software of your device via SEUS or PC Companion
    2. Visit repair centre if the problem remains
    3. Having troubles with the repairment? Contact Johan-SEAnswers on official SE forum

Noise samples
    Audio:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17067629&postcount=74
    Video (sorry for Russian comments :)):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-BKIxDxOdc (with back cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71UresimhaQ (without back cover)
    Another sample (not mine) with SE comment:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rapg47uyQU

News
    • 27.oct.2.3.4 update launched. They removed the noise from videos. But it's just a workaround. You can still hear it by putting the backside of your sk17 to your ear with the screen turned on.
    • 05.oct.Cricket Team rebranded to Cicada Team. More info...; firmware update time shifted to late October - early November.
      12.sep.: SE promises to solve the problem via software update (check this post for details). The same day me and BlackArty got similar emails from Russian SE Customer Support, which promised to launch that update in mid-October.
    • SE really approved the problem? Check Linkinsoldier post for details.
    • Thanks to sxxorp we have massive update. Check the official thread.

All sk17 owners! Please contribute to the related thread on SE official community! Don't let them to forget about the problem.

==> http://communities-origin.sonyericsson.com/thread/22121?start=0&tstart=0 <==

You can use the following template (bold text should be replaced by the data of your sk17):
    My mini pro has electrostatic noise when the device is active.

Device model: sk17i (your country)
    SI 1249-4753
    Prod. week: 11W28
    All the info could be found on the sticker under the battery.

What devices have this problem?
    At the moment both SK17i and SK17a are reported to have this issue. Production weeks mentioned: 11W28, 11W29, 11W30, 11W31, 11W32, 11W33, 11W34, 11W35, 11W36, 11W37, 11W38.

How to check the device?
    1. Listen to samples to know what kind of noise we're speaking about.
    2. Turn the screen on, place the backside of your mini pro near your ear and here it is (the best part of the backside to 'enjoy' that sound is upper left corner, right under the headphones jack). Though sometimes you can hear it even when you're calling someone if the environment is quite enough. And it's still here when the screen is off (not continuous if there's no active apps; several short clicks with silent intervals). Actually, the noise is here when the device is active (even with the screen off). For example, connect headphones, start the music player, lock the screen and check the noise.
    3. Please, share the results of your tests in comments below and take part in SE community discussion mentioned above. This could help us to know more about this problem and get it faster to solve the issue. If you do not have the noise, please, make a short video in silent environment, upload it to youtube or somewhere else and share the link with us!
    4. Contact SE support in your country with the problem description via email, twitter, facebook etc. If you'll get some interesting info from them, please, share it with us.
    The device is checked. What to post?

Please, first of all contribute to the related thread in official SE community (look at the BIG red text above).
    1. Do your device has that noise or not? If not, proove it by video sample.
    2. Info about your device: SK17i or SK17a, country, SI and production week (a string like "11W28", which means 28th week of 2011; you may use the template under the BIG red text). All could be found at the sticker under the battery.
    3. (optional:))Some extra info that could be useful for other sk17 owners: probable reasons, workarounds / solutions, official SE answers, comments etc.

Official information
    • Here's the related discussion on official SE Community:
      http://talk.sonyericsson.com/thread/22121?tstart=0
    • We've got more info. SE promises to solve the problem via software update (check this post for details). The same day me and BlackArty got similar emails from Russian SE Customer Support, which promised to launch that update in mid-October.
    • I sent an email to Russian SE Customer Support. They told me to go to service. Without any comments. It was done on August, 20.
      UPD The phone got back on August, 25 with software reinstalled and noise persisted. Though they told me that 'there's no described problem'.
      sxxorp has got a little bit more info from them. Check his posts: #31 and #32.
    • Somewhat like the first official approval of the problem: SE left the comment under one of the 'noisy videos':
      Hi Everyone, we are investigating this noise that some people are hearing. Please be sure to check out our forum at our website for any more news. - Jeff
      There's the similar comment in the official thread.

Probable reasons

No ideas for now.

Workarounds / solutions
    • Removing the back cover reduces the noise.
    • Looks like plugging USB-cable in (doesn't matter if it's plugged into laptop or charger) removes the noise. But still some quite clicks (not so annoying though).
    • (thanks to BlackArty)The noise disappears when the processor is loaded heavily. For example, run the StabilityTest (could be downloaded from Market for free) and check your device. You'll hear only 'metronome clicks'.
      Check post #3 and #10 by sxxorp to find out what else we've tried to do.