*** skyrocket ics port q&a ***

Search This thread
Modem Descriptor can [peel paint, but cannot fork over data.

OK. This is the second time this has happened:
I flashed my Tmobile SGS2 to...anything with racer's kernel, .... and it borks the modem. I followed the directions, using kernel Cleanser, Superwipe, and so on.. Here is what I see:
I cannot connect to the tower in my home town (We only have edge here). I drive to the next town over, it registers on the network.
I have tried....Kitchen Sink....Nada.

My SIM works fine in other dumb phones and Android Phones.
Please help...

I think we have had the same issue. I first thought it was the Embryo 6 ROM but none users reported extended data failures. Then I thought it was one of the modems I flashed. I flashed every one (LH1, LI1, LI4, ULVG3, Blaze, Et al.) with no avail. I ODIN'd. No go. I called Straight Talk. No Go. APN Settings were Defaulted. Manually inputted. Verified Unlock status.
Flashed CM10 and used *#*#INFO#*#* and looked everything over. Varied Carrier Bands. Checked HoFo. Rootzwiki, ST Forums, T-Mobile Support Discussions, Called T-Mobikle, Called ST Phone Support, Called Samsung.

There is seriously no good goddamn reason one can find that would "explain" this issue. The best I got was that somehow the phone was no longer able to activate or write APN settings to internal memory. It seemed plausible but there was no supportive indicator or usage scenario that backed it up.

I just ODIN'd to the LI4 update and got all connected and whatnot again.
Phone detects SIM, knows IMEI, connects to Mobile Network, cannot address itself an IP.

Then I noticed it. My Carrier Text in the Notification Dropdown says "HOME", despite all other indicators like PhoneInfo.apk, About:phone, etc. reporting T-Mobile (ie Straight Talk).

I don't recall with surety if this Port or the Embryo ROM had a parameter in Mobile Networks settings which toggles "HOME Only" and "Automatic" but that, I think, has fuxored the modem settings in some fashion.

I absolutely beg and plead to experienced Developers or the powers of telephony greater than myself to dig more deeply into this. I am more than willing to offer more info, do some testing, and share user experiences.

This completely removed my data capabilities for about a week and killed umpteen hours of my time. It may be a relatively small userbase that experiences this dead-end, but it's seriously a mindfark and all the "usual" nuclear options to shoot for a do-over on a device are entirely epic fail.

I hope this helps someone out there who wants to throw their phone @ a wall.

webterractive

Feb 10, 2013
Lower Mainland
JTAG Repair

Please post your questions and answers regarding my port here....

UPDATE: 5/24/2012

Won't be doing any work on this for a while. Phone got run over and can't afford a new one right now. Using my SGS4G as a backup until I can get a good price on an s2 or possibly a new S3.

UPDATE 4/5/2012

Good News is I got my phone back from JTAG repair... BAD NEWS is they messed up my usb port. Phone boots and all but I have no way to charge it.. When I plug it in it flashes a warning saying Battery is too hot or too cold, charging has been canceled. Was able to get in download mode and did a wipe to see if maybe it was a firmware issue but it did not help. Went back to download mode to see if I could flash a new boot.img and get this error:

Claiming interface... Failed. Attempting to detach driver...
Claiming interface again... Success
Setting up interface... Success
Beginning session...
Failed to initialise usb communication!
Re-attaching kernel driver...

Now my battery is completely dead so I can't try anything until I can get an external charger if they make one... will update as I can

UPDATE 3-28-12 5:24 p.m. est

For those of you who keep sending me PM's asking to test...

Go to the thread in the Development forum and download it. The Thread was closed but links are still active.

UPDATE #2 3-28-12

I won't be able to work on this for a few days.
Bricked my phone working on a different kernel and modem.
Will send it out for jtag repair and have it back sometime next week hopefully...

Guess I will jump back to the sgs4g forum and work there for a few days.. Have that phone with unbrickable mod...

If anyone knows if unbrickable mod is available for this phone let me know.
I Have no problem tearing it apart and performing the mod.

Update 4/1/12 Turning down in call volume will cut down on in call echo.

Thanks

Did the JTAG repair get you your original boot loader? Because mine is fine hardware-wise but my boot loader is the Samsung one from I9300 phone. ODIN mode key combos don't work since the capacitive home button isn't a hardware button like the I9300. I can still do the volume keys+battery insert+USB trick. But Using ODIN is a hit and a miss since it fails around system or cache. I had it fail right away before and it was scary because I just got the phone back.

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
Why is anyone still using any ics ROM that is a skyrocket port? This was only needed a year ago when there was no ics source available for the T989. No matter what you do none of the sensors will work right by the way. The sensors for the skyrocket and Hercules are installed upside down physically when compared with the other phone. There are tons of fully working ics ROMs built specifically for our phone.

yes even a fully working Jellybean ROM (I am currently running it right now) available in development section called ParanoidAndroid (android 4.1.2). Been using this one for about 4-6 months as my only ROM with no problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

bobbyphoenix

Mar 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
yes even a fully working Jellybean ROM (I am currently running it right now) available in development section called ParanoidAndroid (android 4.1.2). Been using this one for about 4-6 months as my only ROM with no problems.

Actually there are multiple 4.1.2 ROMs now. Even an official CM 10 with CM 10.1 just around the corner.

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
Actually there are multiple 4.1.2 ROMs now. Even an official CM 10 with CM 10.1 just around the corner.

Yup, just highlighting the one I know from personal use and experience that is stable enough to be a daily driver. I am sure there are others (hopefully paranoid gets rebuilt to match that projects move to 4.2.1 in our near future).

Dhanu@xdadev

Jul 8, 2012
Katunayake

Won't be doing any work on this for a while. Phone got run over and can't afford a new one right now. Using my SGS4G as a backup until I can get a good price on an s2 or possibly a new S3.

UPDATE 4/5/2012

Good News is I got my phone back from JTAG repair... BAD NEWS is they messed up my usb port. Phone boots and all but I have no way to charge it.. When I plug it in it flashes a warning saying Battery is too hot or too cold, charging has been canceled. Was able to get in download mode and did a wipe to see if maybe it was a firmware issue but it did not help. Went back to download mode to see if I could flash a new boot.img and get this error:

Beginning session...

Now my battery is completely dead so I can't try anything until I can get an external charger if they make one... will update as I can

Go to the thread in the Development forum and download it. The Thread was closed but links are still active.

UPDATE #2 3-28-12

Will send it out for jtag repair and have it back sometime next week hopefully...

Guess I will jump back to the sgs4g forum and work there for a few days.. Have that phone with unbrickable mod...

Thanks

Is this rom working on shv-e110s?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SHV-E110S using xda app-developers app

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
Is this rom working on shv-e110s?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SHV-E110S using xda app-developers app

Since this is not the forum for that device and I do not recognize the model number off hand, all I can say is visit the forums for your specific device and see if that same ROM is listed for your device there.

Even if the same ROM is in both places any found here will have been setup for use with the T989 and if you are looking for an ICS ROM just look at the forums for your specific device and see what ICS ROMs are in the development section if not in the general section. Reading the OP should tell you if there are any issues or not with the specific ROM.

I use a Jellybean based [4.1.2 ParanoidAndroid] and love it to death and it is only in the development section yet is solid enough it should really also have a listing in General, not to mention the OEM Samsung firmware is not even Jellybean based [may or may not even happen].

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012

That was the last update, don't see the need for this thread to be stickied anymore.

----------------------------------------------
Phone: Galaxy s2 t989
Rom: PACman 20.1
Kernel: Stock

I'm full of great idea's, but don't have the time to create them or learn the coding to create them. If you want to make one of my ideas a reality just message me and I will give you my idea as specific as possible.
ideas:
-launcher/lock screen
-line rider type game where you control the character
-2d fighting game like art of fighting for the SNES
-multiplayer fps where you create your own map with a creative mode (minecraft style)
-roller coaster tycoon style game
-get phone out of sleep mode
-many more! :)
Just message me which idea you want info on and I'll tell you!
----------------------------------------------

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UPDATE 4/5/2012

Beginning session...

UPDATE #2 3-28-12

Thanks
    Moderaters are working on that thread i guess. Do you have link?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

http://www.4shared.com/zip/t-6_CgWt/Superuser-307-efghi-signed.html

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
    I wanted to share how I flashed which worked perfectly.

Flashed:
    [1] Made TB of all apps
    [2] Rebooted in CWR
    [3] Nandroid backup
    [4] Wipe Data Factory reset
    [5] Wipe Dalvik Cache
    [6] Flashed samsung_ultimate_kernel_cleaning_script_by_lippol94
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1166954
    [7] Flashed DarkSide Super Wipe
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1477955
    [8] Flashed Rom
    [9] Reboot Phone
    [10] Let sit about 10 minutes after reboot was fully done
    [11] Rebooted again so data started to work (takes second reboot)
    [12] Once 2nd reboot was done I gave it another 5 mintues before I messed with it.

Bugs or non-bugs:

[1] Camera worked perfect
    [2] Google play worked perfect, downloaded on data and wifi and had no issues.
    [3] Skype went crazy. I installed new beta but after it auto updated with the dragon add-on it went postal, caused messaging to stop functioning and ultimately I just started over with flashing
    [4] Superuser had and gave root access to all apps, I did not have to reflash. On initial setup i just opened su, went to preference, su binary and clicked update anyways making sure I clicked "allow".
    [5] I was able to change wallpaper from gallery on screen and lockscreen with no issues as reported by others.
    [6] I did have echo from caller point of view, wife helped, speaker on had no issues. I was not able to try the fix as posted above.
    [7] tethering worked perfect
    [8] I had no delay on dialer or phonebook
    [9] Apex launcher worked awesome
    [10] I had no issues removing att crap with TB, it uninstalled fine

Hope that helps some. My install steps are very excessive but I have done those steps on all roms and never had any issues.
    Just wanted to post and Update on the kernel issue. I have now verified that the rotation issue is specific to just the boot.img I did this by flashing back to stock gingerbread and flashing my port kernel and it gives me the rotation problem in gingerbread. So now I am going to try and tear it, and the gingerbread stock kernel apart and see what I am able to change. Will update if I make any finds....
    +1 on Xperties advice... When I first created the rom and flashed it I had alot of the issues people are having...

I then Wiped then double wiped then Darkside wiped and cleared dalvik and that made a huge difference. I think most of the issues that are coming up are because people are not wiping the phone good enough. Follow the above instructions and people will have a better experience.

Also the new link in the Dev section contains an updated zip with alot of the Bloat removed.
    I was able to do this before I bricked my phone... Once I get it back I will be able to work on this some more...