[S-Off] Facepalm S-Off for HTC One XL

Search This thread

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
The first attempt looks ok. The error 99 on the other attempt is a problem, but when you get that just force a reboot to bootloader by holding volume down and power and start again and you should get error 92 again. Some folks have reported it taking a few attempts for this to work. What ROM are you on while attempting it?

Sent from my Evita

finallygreen

Mar 13, 2010
The first attempt looks ok. The error 99 on the other attempt is a problem, but when you get that just force a reboot to bootloader by holding volume down and power and start again and you should get error 92 again. Some folks have reported it taking a few attempts for this to work. What ROM are you on while attempting it?

Sent from my Evita

Stock. Per your advice, I was going to achieve the S-OFF and then go ROM hunting.

thedailyl3af

Apr 16, 2012
The Moon ;)
Ok. You could try flashing a ROM to get s-off, sometimes a ROM change does a world of good. There are several ROMs you could flash without really needing to alter anything first.

Sent from my Evita

Almost always had success with viperxl 3.2.8 and the people I've told. I'm pretty sure clean rom 4.1.1 would work as well.

edit: I ment to do a double quote but I forgot lol

Sent from my Evita

Last edited:

finallygreen

Mar 13, 2010
Well, this is getting a bit scary because I've followed every instruction to the letter and now I think I might have a brick :(

I went ahead and tried to install a ROM like you told me to (wiped data and installed via TWRP), and now my phone's just sitting at the white HTC screen.

What do I do now??

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Well, this is getting a bit scary because I've followed every instruction to the letter and now I think I might have a brick :(

I went ahead and tried to install a ROM like you told me to (wiped data and installed via TWRP), and now my phone's just sitting at the white HTC screen.

What do I do now??

You don't have a brick, your phone is powering on. A brick is when the phone won't power on and you get zero response from it. Which ROM did you flash? Did you flash the boot.img via fastboot afterwards? You're s-on do you need to do that when flashing ROMs/kernels.

Sent from my Evita

Reactions: 954wrecker

finallygreen

Mar 13, 2010
You don't have a brick, your phone is powering on. A brick is when the phone won't power on and you get zero response from it. Which ROM did you flash? Did you flash the boot.img via fastboot afterwards? You're s-on do you need to do that when flashing ROMs/kernels.

Sent from my Evita

OK, I got back up and running, and I restored the backup I made yesterday when we were unlocking in the first place.

I'm searching high and low and I can't find the correct procedure for flashing a ROM while I'm S-On. I have the zip and I get that I need to extract the img from the zip and flash it from the PC, but I can't find the proper order of steps for this anywhere. Could you point me in the right direction for that?

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Scratch that...I figured that part out and seem to have successfully installed my first custom ROM. Once I've verified that, I'll go back and see if I finally have or can get S-Off.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

OK, I got back up and running, and I restored the backup I made yesterday when we were unlocking in the first place.

I'm searching high and low and I can't find the correct procedure for flashing a ROM while I'm S-On. I have the zip and I get that I need to extract the img from the zip and flash it from the PC, but I can't find the proper order of steps for this anywhere. Could you point me in the right direction for that?

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Scratch that...I figured that part out and seem to have successfully installed my first custom ROM. Once I've verified that, I'll go back and see if I finally have or can get S-Off.

Ugh..well, at least I'm not bricked....installed the latest CleanROM and all seems fine, but...I still can NOT get the dang S-Off, despite following every direction to the letter. Now for whatever reason, I'm getting "error: device not found" whenever I try this process. Why is this happening?

thedailyl3af

Apr 16, 2012
The Moon ;)
Ugh..well, at least I'm not bricked....installed the latest CleanROM and all seems fine, but...I still can NOT get the dang S-Off, despite following every direction to the letter. Now for whatever reason, I'm getting "error: device not found" whenever I try this process. Why is this happening?

Try restarting your computer. The cmd and adb like to keep the last attempts ending results lol. Who knows might even help you get s off lol

Sent from my Evita

sbacham

dont worry

guys im gonna show you some tricks for who are getting troubles in s off.(these are my experiences)

1.install htc driver(no need sync only drivers)
2.switch off phone and on with power+vol down for bootloader(remember uncheck fast boot in settings+power)(dont do adb reboot bootloader for going to bootloader i got troubles thats why m saying do it manually )
if u even dont get s off then try this
3.change usb port back to front or other ports of pc/lappy
4.be sure your phone rooted then do factory reset in settings not in recovery.(its also imp cuz ive tried 30 times without success then i did factory reset and tried voila succeed) then enable usb debug and try all above once again.
back up your data befor doing facrery reset.

try this i hope you will succeed by trying above(ofcourse they are not in particular order).
keep posting your experiences cuz that help others alot.

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
You probably should have mentioned that doing a factory reset in bootloader will corrupt the sd card and will require it be formatted in order to work again. That's pretty important if you ask me because someone not knowing that would lose all of their data upon following your instructions. It isn't even necessary, it might have worked for you (possibly even a complete coincidence) but it certainly isn't a must for achieving s-off. Also, saying it will definitely work is a bit extreme, there can be many contributing factors to the s-off process not working, many of which aren't mentioned in your post.

Sent from my Evita

sbacham

You probably should have mentioned that doing a factory reset in bootloader will corrupt the sd card and will require it be formatted in order to work again. That's pretty important if you ask me because someone not knowing that would lose all of their data upon following your instructions. It isn't even necessary, it might have worked for you (possibly even a complete coincidence) but it certainly isn't a must for achieving s-off. Also, saying it will definitely work is a bit extreme, there can be many contributing factors to the s-off process not working, many of which aren't mentioned in your post.

Sent from my Evita

thanks ,edited.

Zehmistah

Oct 25, 2012
Mississauga
Whenever I type a command with fastboot, it stays at (waiting for device) forever. Ugh, any ideas? Phones running ViperXL 4.2 and when I go into fastboot it says "One of the usb devices attached to this computer malfunction and windows does not recognize it".

EDIT: FIXED THE PROBLEM, PLUGGED IT INTO ANOTHER PORT. NEW PROBLEM!! How do I get SuperCID on Rogers HOX? I tried the link provided and still have the Original CID

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNswkPGYtLc

note: updated 2/20 @ 9:20 EST, better ICS compatibility.

Welcome to Facepalm S-Off for the HTC One XL.

Credits and terms:

Exploit by beaups. Full guide, testing, and concept by jcase and beaups. Thanks to dsb9938 and dr_drache for support and testing. Thanks also to all of the regulars at teamandirc.

Both beaups and jcase will collect the applicable active bounties. Further donations are greatly appreciated and can be sent to:

beaups - Donate to beaups
    jcase - Donate to jcase
    dsb9938 - Donate to dsb9938
    dr_drache - Donate to dr_drache

You can also come by irc for support or just to say thanks: #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm

While this process shouldn’t be too risky, bricks can happen. None of us will be accountable. If you are worried, don’t do it.

This is a pretty simple method, however, you will need to have a working adb and fastboot environment. This method will work on any operating system that supports adb and fastboot. You should understand how to use a terminal window in your O/S. If you don’t understand adb and fastboot, you probably don’t need S-off.

Lastly, the work herein should not be stolen, repackaged, one clicked, bat’d, etc. soffbin3 is not GPL and may not be reused, integrated into other work, reposted, or redistributed without our permission.

For this to work, you must be rooted and have superCID (unlock/custom recovery is optional), see the threads below for help and information regarding obtaining superCID, unlock, root, etc. Note these threads are provided for convenience only. Please look for support for them in each respective thread if you need it, do NOT clutter this thread with support requests regarding obtaining superCID and/or root! If you try this process without superCID, it will not work, and you may have issues!:

HTC One XL: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1952038 (2.2)

Once you have confirmed you have SuperCID, get started (read it through first so you understand it all):

1.) Download patcher and unzip it in your working directory:
    soffbin3.zip soffbin3.zip Mirror

2.) Download the zip below

OneX.zip = MD5: 99a8eced1010543e12cbd4e4e8f9638f, Mirror

3.)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    (wait for bootloader)

4.)
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    (wait for black HTC Screen)

5.)
    Code:
    fastboot flash zip PJ8312000-OneX.zip
    After a while, You should see the following error “FAILED (remote: 92 supercid! please flush image again immediately)”

6.) Immediately issue the following command:

Code:
    fastboot oem boot

You may see some errors, just wait for the device to boot into Android (only now, you should be booted into Android with no eMMC write protection of any kind active).

7.) Issue the following 3 commands to update the security partition with S-off flags (one command at a time!):

Code:
    adb push soffbin3 /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell chmod 744 /data/local/tmp/soffbin3
    adb shell su -c "/data/local/tmp/soffbin3"

(wait for a few seconds)

8.)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

9.) You should see what you are looking for!

If you need help or just care to say thanks, join us on IRC: #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm

Enjoy.
    Fix for error 99, that doesn't involve flashing roms hoping it solves the problem:

fastboot oem writecid 11111111
    power down completely, go to fastboot
    continue from the fastboot oem rebootRUU command

thans attn1 and jcase for the help
    Ok folks thanks to c5satelite and other helpful folks at S OFF PARTY AND IRC we figured out how to fix this whole "error 99" shenanigans.

Step 1. Download the latest stockish ROM (I used Viper 3.2.3)

Step 2. Boot into bootloader and fastboot flash the kernel.. then reboot back into recovery

Step 3. Wipe /system and factory reset in TWRP

Step 4. Install rom in TWRP

Step 5. For *Viper Only* Don't wipe in Aroma, and uncheck reboot at the end.

Step 6. Reboot into bootloader from recovery (Don't boot into the ROM)

Step 7. Follow the instructions in the OP to a T ... read reread.. go get some coffee.. and try again.. hopefully you see Error 92 and not 99

This worked for me with ViperROM on hboot 2.14

Thank you to all the folks involved you guys are rockstars from Mars! :highfive:
    For those with PJ8310000 Model IDs, do it anyway. That zip works regardless of One X/XL Model ID.
    I tried it and am now S-Off'd. My Model ID is PJ8310000.

Also, thanks so much to those involved!!
    we will add more hoxl model id's and zips shortly