[Developement] Computer App to Control Phone

Search This thread

q426669

Sep 25, 2007
Chicago
Sounds good so far.

Seems like progress is going smooth so far. =)

I wish that I knew more Java, I wrote my first app (Hello World!) a few days ago, but I doubt I will know enough to contribute at this rate!

I hope I will at least be able to help you do some testing when it gets to that point. ;)

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
I've been doing Java for about 4 or 5 years now, nothing to fancy, but anyway,

Code:
int key = evt.getKeyCode();
switch (key)
{
case 65: 
Runtime.getRuntime().exec("adb shell input keyevent 29"); // I dont know if this is what you "run" variable is referring to. and you would need quotes around your command as it takes a String parameter.
break;
thank you for that, that should get me on my way, i'm not 100% as to how i am doing this, mainly i am (re)learning as i go. i am officially chnging the title of this thread to [Development] Computer app to control phone since this went from asking if there was such an app to this to actually creating the app. i assume that i can write and compile this in eclipse since i already have that installed.

@@brian7590 i will try to upload source at google later today, and hopefully we can get a few people looking at it and giving ideas on what to do. i will attach the keyevents map for android, that way we can all see what code to type to "press" a key on the phone.

keyevent map is now attached, i includes trackball deirections, "chin" buttons(call, home, menu, etc) and also loads of other keys. hope this helps out

Last edited:

UnkzDomain

Nov 9, 2008
Louisville
unkzdomain.com
Yeah, I could help out with the backend, but I really don't know how to use Eclipse for GUI design. I normally use Netbeans... Whats the google code url for your project?

Also, I'm not a highly experienced Java coder so if someone could look over any code that I submit and see if it could be further optimized, please do so (when I actually submit anything).

Last edited:

brianb7590

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Yeah, I could help out with the backend, but I really don't know how to use Eclipse for GUI design. I normally use Netbeans... Whats the google code url for your project?

Also, I'm not a highly experienced Java coder so if someone could look over any code that I submit and see if it could be further optimized, please do so (when I actually submit anything).

I've done quite a bit of gui coding in java. I could possibly help out with that part as well.

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
i haven't gotten around to posying on google code yet, i was out for a while and just researching some crap through my phone(geez that kills the battery fast) not sure i know how to even start the source project, i am uploading what i havae here, all the stuff i added is marked with a comment, mainly just added the case switch at the bottom

Last edited:

Mikey

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Wheaton, Il
Google Pixel Fold
tubaking182,
I think it would be a better idea if you keep editing your first post with the attachment in that post.
Instead of us/them checking pages for the text file :)

brianb7590

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Sandy Springs, Georgia
I looked at the code you have so far. I cant make much sense of the first half....but i corrected some imports and some other minimal things. marked them as comments with my name at the end.

Do you mind explaining to me the purpose of the first section of code?

Attachments

• Andcontrol.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 13

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
I looked at the code you have so far. I cant make much sense of the first half....but i corrected some imports and some other minimal things. marked them as comments with my name at the end.

Do you mind explaining to me the purpose of the first section of code?
everything above the comment by me is from the DroidEx app, it basicall creates an applet that is constantly refreshing the picture. this is done by taking a screenshot and extracting it to display in the window on the computer. it refreshes currently at 6 frames per second which cranted is pretty slo but i personally don't plan on playing android games on my computer with this app. mainly i want to use this to send texts and do other simple actions. also if we try to speed it up too much it will slow down the phone since the screenshot command is being sent to the phone and the phone is doing most of the work. thanks for having a look at the code thusfar, i will add comments to each case to say what key is being pressed at that point. i am working on that right now.

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
You guys amaze me daily :)
we haven't completed this yet.

this is mainly an update on where i have been this week, i haven't been working on this because i the theme competittion deadline is almost up and well i have a few finishing touches on my theme before it is ready. on the 13th i will be back to working on this so long as my fiancee doesn't get too mad that i am on the comp. she's been getting on me lately so we will see what happens

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
first post has been updated with the latest text file i have been using, i added comments to most of MY stuff. there are still some errors that i am trying to work through when compiling this, including errors in just the droidEx stuff. i am off work for a week so hopefully i can sleep in and work on this. anyone willing to help please feel free to do so, i don't know enough to get this running on my own.

if you see problems in any parts of it then just point them out to me and i will have a look see, i really hope we can get this app up and running

nicksen782

Jan 28, 2009
::bump:: Please don't let this thread die! This program is such a good idea. At the very least the ability to type out SMS messages from the PC would be super, even if I would need to physically choose the SMS message on the phone itself.

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
::bump:: Please don't let this thread die! This program is such a good idea. At the very least the ability to type out SMS messages from the PC would be super, even if I would need to physically choose the SMS message on the phone itself.
right now i have decided to postpone this to see if maybe the cupcake update will allow multiple words with the input command. i'm stuck because i can't figure out how to make the computer read what i typed and enter it as a series of commands breaking the sentence into one word segments and putting a space between words. don't worry i haven't forgotten about this

ESKIMOn00b

Apr 16, 2009
alabama
now that cupcakes basically here anyone got any new ideas for this?

you still even working/thinking on this tubaking?

my java knowledge is minimal at best and rather stale too but any thing i can do to give you a hand on this is no problem

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
sorry i haven't played with this in a while, i have been looking at the available commands in cupcake, but been really distracted touching up my java knowledge on an app for the phone which i think many of you will like and trying to make a simple widget to go with the app. i am still tring to work on this and i think now that i remember a little more java i can get somewhere with it. not sure on a release since i wanna finish my app and widget, the app is almost ready for release and the widget is a learning project