[ROOT] ZTE z990g Merit (An avail variant?)

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Root for ZTE z990g aka ZTE Merit
by jcase - jcase@cunninglogic.com - http://twitter.com/TeamAndIRC
June 16 2012 - Copyright 2012 CunningLogic
Do Not Distribute or republish without permission. (Sad that this is needed, but people/blogs like to profit off the work of others without credit)

Want to support my work? Donations are always appreciated, but never required:

Paypal: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=LZ62YFU3XCEK8
Amazon Giftcards: jcase@cunninglogic.com

Required files:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699733/chainsdd-su.zip

Unzip chaindsdd-su.zip and then get a shell with adb

Code:
adb shell

Set up the dirs, so shell owns them prior to logging. If shell does not own them then we can not control them. If the logs dir already exists, you may have to do a factory reset to remove them. They should not exist unless someone attempted this previously.

Code:
mkdir /data/local/logs
mkdir /data/local/logs/kernel

Open emode's logset activity. First button should be for enabling log set, enable it. Do not exit the activity, but if you do just repeat the below command.

Code:
am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.zte.emode/.logset

Confirm the log_kernel.txt file exists, if it does not wait a minute and check again.

Code:
ls -l /data/local/logs/kernel/log_kernel.txt

If it exists, delete it and immediately symlink it to /data/local.prop, logset may recreate it, if it does delete and try symlinking again.

Code:
rm /data/local/logs/kernel/log_kernel.txt
ln -s /data/local.prop /data/local/logs/kernel/log_kernel.txt

Now we want to wait for /data/local.prop to be created, it may take a minute or two. Keep checking until it exists.

Code:
ls -l /data/local.prop

Now once /data/local.prop exists, go back to the logset activity and disable logset. If you don't disable it, it will slowly eat away at all the disk space, and possibly overwrite the local.prop before you get root. Now lets set qemu=1 then reboot.

Code:
echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop
exit
adb reboot

Once you have rebooted, remount, install su.

Code:
adb remount
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

Clean up your mess!

Code:
adb shell rm /data/local.prop
adb shell rm -r /data/local/logs

Reboot, install the Superuser app from the market and enjoy

Code:
adb reboot

bitshifter52

Apr 9, 2012
Might Not Work As Expected

I just tried this procedure from JCase at the RootzWiki dot com site with mixed results. The phone is a ZTE Merit Z990G from Straight Talk.

I went through all the steps and everything performed as expected. When I start start an app that requires superuser permissions, the app reports that the device has not been properly rooted. I have repeated the process as outlined four times, including downloading the SU file, and have the same results. Titanium Plus, Busy Box Pro and Root Check Basic report that the device is not rooted.

However, a couple of the Google apps - music, movies and reader seem to think the phone is rooted. Any ideas or suggestions will be very appreciated.

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
I just tried this procedure from JCase at the RootzWiki dot com site with mixed results. The phone is a ZTE Merit Z990G from Straight Talk.

I went through all the steps and everything performed as expected. When I start start an app that requires superuser permissions, the app reports that the device has not been properly rooted. I have repeated the process as outlined four times, including downloading the SU file, and have the same results. Titanium Plus, Busy Box Pro and Root Check Basic report that the device is not rooted.

However, a couple of the Google apps - music, movies and reader seem to think the phone is rooted. Any ideas or suggestions will be very appreciated.

Sounds like band permissions on su, try

adb shell ls -l /system/xbin/su

if the permissions come out as "-rwsr-sr-x" then you are rooted, try updating su with the suepruser app, or finding a different copy of su.

If the permissions are different or it says it doesnt exist, then you need to repeat the instructions as you missed one or two

bitshifter52

Apr 9, 2012
Sounds like band permissions on su, try

adb shell ls -l /system/xbin/su

if the permissions come out as "-rwsr-sr-x" then you are rooted, try updating su with the suepruser app, or finding a different copy of su.

If the permissions are different or it says it doesnt exist, then you need to repeat the instructions as you missed one or two

Thank you for the fast response. Here are the permissions for the SU file and based on what you are saying they look good:

C:\SDK>adb shell ls -l /system/xbin/su
-rwsr-sr-x root root 22364 2012-06-17 12:47 su

I have located and downloaded a couple of "su" files from XDA and similar sites and the files are identical. I will continue searching for a different "su" file and see if that makes a difference.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Thank you for the fast response. Here are the permissions for the SU file and based on what you are saying they look good:

I have located and downloaded a couple of "su" files from XDA and similar sites and the files are identical. I will continue searching for a different "su" file and see if that makes a difference.

I looked around and did not find any "su" files that were different than what I downloaded according to the root process. Just for grins I copied the "su" file from my Noot Tablet which is rooted and tried that file. Sadly, it did not make a difference.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide or if you would like me to try something else.

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
What happens when you open the Superuser app (note this is not supersu) and go to settings/options and attempt to update su?

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

I looked around and did not find any "su" files that were different than what I downloaded according to the root process. Just for grins I copied the "su" file from my Noot Tablet which is rooted and tried that file. Sadly, it did not make a difference.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide or if you would like me to try something else.

bitshifter52

Apr 9, 2012
It Worked - But Don't Know Why...

What happens when you open the Superuser app (note this is not supersu) and go to settings/options and attempt to update su?

I re-installed Superuser and Superuser Elite and now the phone says it's rooted. I've been in IT for over 35 years and it makes me nervous when software "magically" fixes itself. But now that it's working I won't question it and proceed from here. I appreciate your help and your effort.

Cheers

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
I re-installed Superuser and Superuser Elite and now the phone says it's rooted. I've been in IT for over 35 years and it makes me nervous when software "magically" fixes itself. But now that it's working I won't question it and proceed from here. I appreciate your help and your effort.

Cheers

Generally you have to run superuser once to get it to work I've found, at least recent builds (or maybe its recent android builds)

Reactions: bitshifter52

MikeyIsOG

Jul 6, 2012
Problem.

Hello, i have followed this entirely but at parts it says "Access denied" when im on certain parts when i tryed to check if the Kernel log was there it said "access denied" same with some folders.

ezpcrox

Jul 17, 2012
root or no root

followed steps, ended up with this...

$ ls -l /system/xbin/su
ls -l /system/xbin/su
-rw-rw-rw- root root 22364 2012-07-15 09:25 su

the superuser app shows all blank under apps and logs, when i try to update it, it says "checking" for a few secs and then nothing... also wondering how to do a factory reset cuz if i didn't screw the phone up yet, i will :) thx in advance

HDRider420

Jul 25, 2012
Charlotte NC
Has you can see I'm new here. I'm old and retired I would love to root my ZTE Merit 2.3.5 but this is over my head.
I was wondering if there's any accomplished phone rooters in the NC area that would be willing to walk me through this or do this for me
I'd be more than willing to make a donation to make this happen,

Last edited:

crcdud

May 22, 2012
custom recovery

I was wondering if someone would make q custom recovery for this phone because the stock recovery is really bad

Univarseman

Aug 25, 2012
Not working

I can't even get past step 2, I have the file installed and unzipped on both my computer and my smart phone. The only thing I can find to put in the codes is command prompt which says "error: device not found" when I type in adb shell. My ZTE Merit phone has very low internal memory due to all the retarded system apps that came on the phone, I would very much like some assistance removing them from my phone. I also downloaded superuser elite onto my phone and it doesn't show up with ANYTHING. The first page says
superuse v3.1.3(46)
tap to display changelog
elite installed
su binary not found
a check in the box "outdated binary notification
unchecked box, temp unroot (When tapped it does nothing)
unchecked box ota survival (Again when tapped it does nothing)

I scroll over to the apps section of the program and it says "No apps in list"
What am I doing wrong? This lack of space is quite irritating

SIM Carrier unlock a ZTE Merit Z990G Straight Talk

I'm currently a T mobile prepaid customer and received the Merit from a friend of mine for doing some painting. I have looked for a month now and had a few unlock websites fail at attempting to unlock the phone via the IMEI (which the phone does have ). I have attempted to put my tmobile sim in the Merit but there is NO place to enter an unlock code. I really DONT wanna change my service to straight talk and would be willing to pay a decent amount to anyone that is capable of unlocking this phone for use with tmobile. If you think you have what it takes PM me and i will give you the IMEI and we can work out a deal. I challenge ANYONE achieve the impossible and get me the unlock code and a way to input it into the phone.:eek:

Reactions: bamx2

rpicaso

Nov 30, 2010
Fort Worth
Cannot get local.prop

I have waited 20 minutes after trying to create the local.prop file and it simply won't create it. Any suggestions?

DragonBunny

Oct 16, 2012
Can't get SU to upload

Hey I'm new to rooting android. I get to the point of installing SU but windows keeps telling me file not found. Would really like some help in fixing this issue. I have installed SU file to C:\Android\android-sdk\SU. Up to this point everything works fine.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thnks

jjflappy

Oct 30, 2012
Help getting Started

Hey Anyone and everyone that may be online, I have a real quick and probably REALLY EASY question for ya... I'm trying to get started Rooting my ZTE Merit and I need to find out how to get to or where to find the screen where I type in the commands. I already downloaded the chainsdd zip file. So now I'm supposed to get shell with adb. If someone would be so kind and put me in the right general direction, I sure would
be grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

daveom25

Jan 10, 2010
Louisiana
Not a Damn thing...

Rather sad....I have everything going as it should....all input correct...still no root after final reboot...I followed every step to a T several times -rw-rw-rw- grrr...ive rooted many devices none this big of a pain in tha butt!

Used updated su binary on root just for fun...same result

Last edited:

mrdreamers

Oct 16, 2009
Texas
Help plz!

im a noob to this but have been messing around with ubuntu for some time now can someone show me step by step on how to root my zte merit plz? is there a video tut on how? i tried all the quick methods but they don't work, this one obviously does on this page, can someone help start me out plz, im learning still and love to learn more!:confused:

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

I can't even get past step 2, I have the file installed and unzipped on both my computer and my smart phone. The only thing I can find to put in the codes is command prompt which says "error: device not found" when I type in adb shell. My ZTE Merit phone has very low internal memory due to all the retarded system apps that came on the phone, I would very much like some assistance removing them from my phone. I also downloaded superuser elite onto my phone and it doesn't show up with ANYTHING. The first page says
superuse v3.1.3(46)
tap to display changelog
elite installed
su binary not found
a check in the box "outdated binary notification
unchecked box, temp unroot (When tapped it does nothing)
unchecked box ota survival (Again when tapped it does nothing)

I scroll over to the apps section of the program and it says "No apps in list"
What am I doing wrong? This lack of space is quite irritating

help me, whats the first step then i can get the gearz in motion, i have not a clue on how to start this but if i do i can usually figure it out from them sometimes ;)

ljbew

Dec 6, 2012
Start menu

Hey Anyone and everyone that may be online, I have a real quick and probably REALLY EASY question for ya... I'm trying to get started Rooting my ZTE Merit and I need to find out how to get to or where to find the screen where I type in the commands. I already downloaded the chainsdd zip file. So now I'm supposed to get shell with adb. If someone would be so kind and put me in the right general direction, I sure would
be grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Start menu then type CMD hit enter

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root for ZTE z990g aka ZTE Merit
    by jcase - jcase@cunninglogic.com - http://twitter.com/TeamAndIRC
    June 16 2012 - Copyright 2012 CunningLogic
    Do Not Distribute or republish without permission. (Sad that this is needed, but people/blogs like to profit off the work of others without credit)

Want to support my work? Donations are always appreciated, but never required:

Paypal: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=LZ62YFU3XCEK8
    Amazon Giftcards: jcase@cunninglogic.com

Required files:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699733/chainsdd-su.zip

Unzip chaindsdd-su.zip and then get a shell with adb

Code:
    adb shell

Set up the dirs, so shell owns them prior to logging. If shell does not own them then we can not control them. If the logs dir already exists, you may have to do a factory reset to remove them. They should not exist unless someone attempted this previously.

Code:
    mkdir /data/local/logs
    mkdir /data/local/logs/kernel

Open emode's logset activity. First button should be for enabling log set, enable it. Do not exit the activity, but if you do just repeat the below command.

Code:
    am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.zte.emode/.logset

Confirm the log_kernel.txt file exists, if it does not wait a minute and check again.

Code:
    ls -l /data/local/logs/kernel/log_kernel.txt

If it exists, delete it and immediately symlink it to /data/local.prop, logset may recreate it, if it does delete and try symlinking again.

Code:
    rm /data/local/logs/kernel/log_kernel.txt
    ln -s /data/local.prop /data/local/logs/kernel/log_kernel.txt

Now we want to wait for /data/local.prop to be created, it may take a minute or two. Keep checking until it exists.

Code:
    ls -l /data/local.prop

Now once /data/local.prop exists, go back to the logset activity and disable logset. If you don't disable it, it will slowly eat away at all the disk space, and possibly overwrite the local.prop before you get root. Now lets set qemu=1 then reboot.

Code:
    echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop
    exit
    adb reboot

Once you have rebooted, remount, install su.

Code:
    adb remount

Clean up your mess!

Code:
    adb shell rm /data/local.prop
    adb shell rm -r /data/local/logs

Reboot, install the Superuser app from the market and enjoy

Code:
    adb reboot
    Start menu

be grateful.

Thanks in advance,
    Jason
    Start menu then type CMD hit enter
    root cwm rom zte merit z990g

androidforums.com/introductions/670495-zte-merit-root-cwm-rom-no-pc-needed-root.html

this is the best method i have found. it has worked countless times for my friends and myself. hope u like it

Cheers

Generally you have to run superuser once to get it to work I've found, at least recent builds (or maybe its recent android builds)
    SIM Carrier unlock a ZTE Merit Z990G Straight Talk

I'm currently a T mobile prepaid customer and received the Merit from a friend of mine for doing some painting. I have looked for a month now and had a few unlock websites fail at attempting to unlock the phone via the IMEI (which the phone does have ). I have attempted to put my tmobile sim in the Merit but there is NO place to enter an unlock code. I really DONT wanna change my service to straight talk and would be willing to pay a decent amount to anyone that is capable of unlocking this phone for use with tmobile. If you think you have what it takes PM me and i will give you the IMEI and we can work out a deal. I challenge ANYONE achieve the impossible and get me the unlock code and a way to input it into the phone.:eek: