[Q] Which prepaid plan can I use with my Motorola Photon 4G in the US?

Search This thread

Chris300HP

Sep 23, 2011
Buenos Aires
Hi,
I'm planning a trip to Los Angeles, USA in the near future. I bought an unlocked Motorola Photon 4G on Ebay, and currently use it in Argentina. It is in my understanding that USA domestic GSM towers are blocked. I currently have it running Gingerbread 2.3.5. It is also in my understanding that Sprint offers only plans under a contract (Correct me if i'm wrong). What options do i have to use my phone under a prepaid plan with voice, sms and data during my trip?

atroph

Sep 14, 2011
Not entirely true. You should be able to put the kddi radio on 2.3.5 and use any GSM carrier you choose.

...I believe. Let me go read...

Ok here is an important question. Does your phone say unlocked at the top when you first turn it on?

Last edited:

maxon_yalta

May 19, 2012
Sevastopol
You can't unlock bootloader on stock 2.3.5 Photon firmware, so you are not able to flash KDDI radio and wont get GSM service in the US.

heywired

Dec 23, 2010
Kenosha
You can't unlock bootloader on stock 2.3.5 Photon firmware, so you are not able to flash KDDI radio and wont get GSM service in the US.

From what I've read you are able to unlock the bootloader on 2.3.5, As long as you didnt update it from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5 with RSD Lite. BUT (if my memory serves me correct) you have to "rollback" or re-flash it with 2.3.4.

SO technically you cant if you still have 2.3.5 on your phone, so in order to unlock the bootloader you just have to re-flash 2.3.4 back on it.

Hope that helps/Makes sense :)

Chris300HP

Sep 23, 2011
Buenos Aires
I already called Sprint and i have a clean esn number. They told me that they offer prepaid services with Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile but you have to buy a phone from them, so i can't use my Motorola Photon with them. I don't want to mess around with my phone to unlock USA GSM bands. The first reply offered me a solution, to go with a virtual operator under the Sprint Network such as Eco Mobile that allows me to bring my Sprint phone.

Sent from my MB855 using xda app-developers app

InsanePostman

Sep 14, 2012
Milwaukee
As far as I know unless you're on factory 2.3.5 or 2.3.4 and are able to unlock your bootloader, the photon is only able to use international GSM networks. You need to unlock your bootloader and install the KDDI radio to use US GSM networks.

DXM31

Jun 18, 2012
Midlothian
Platinumtel

I bought my Photon off of Craigslist new and activated it on Platinumtel for $40.
The phone needs to have clean ESN and not be on Sprint account.
The later is the hard part, the ESN can be clean but the phone can still be on an account and not be active.
I went through 3 phones from Cowboom to find the last part out, which is why I found a new never activated one.
If the phone is on your account and you still have an account with Sprint you have to call to make sure they take the phone off of Sprint.
I pay about $3.33 a month for PlatinumTel and use Google voice and GrooveIP on wifi.
cheap deal:D

Top Liked Posts