Bootloader Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Walter.White

Nov 28, 2013
This time around it looks like AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile will have S5 with locked bootloader. (Only Sprint's S5 will have unlocked BL).

1. AT&T started with S4 and continued the tradition there after (G2, N3 etc.) (Also no dev edition AFAIK)

2. T-Mobile started with LG G Flex and looks like it will continue the tradition with S5. (Source) (Also no dev edition AFAIK)

3. Verizon started who knows when? (At least verizon is nice enough to have Dev edition, albeit expensive as hell).

What does all this mean?

Well you can't have "traditional" custom recovery so that means NO ASOP, NO custom Kernels etc.

You can have a recovery called "Safestrap" which will allow you to flash only TW based ROMs and simple MODs such as bootanimations but nothing more.

Last edited:

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
This time around it looks like AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile will have S5 with locked bootloader. (Only Sprint's S5 will have unlocked BL).

1. AT&T started with S4 and continued the tradition there after (G2, N3 etc.) (Also no dev edition AFAIK)

2. T-Mobile started with LG G Flex and looks like it will continue the tradition with S5. (Source:) (Also no dev edition AFAIK)

3. Verizon started who knows when? (At least verizon is nice enough to have Dev edition).

What does all this mean?

Well you can't have "traditional" custom recovery so that means NO ASOP, NO custom Kernels etc.

You can you have a recovery called "Safestrap" which will allow you to flash only TW based ROMs and simple MODs such as bootanimations but nothing more.

Wow! Thanks for the info. I am shocked T-Mobile locked theirs down too. I would just love to ask, why? I wonder what changed T-Mobile's mind on bootloaders. The Note 3 shipped with an unlocked bootloader.

Anyway, as long as I have root I am fine. If TW is smoother this time around, I'll have no plans to eventually root. Still shocked on T-Mobile's move. See, they're growing and getting bigger and perhaps more greedier now.

Walter.White

Nov 28, 2013
Wow! Thanks for the info. I am shocked T-Mobile locked theirs down too. I would just love to ask, why? I wonder what changed T-Mobile's mind on bootloaders. The Note 3 shipped with an unlocked bootloader.

Anyway, as long as I have root I am fine. If TW is smoother this time around, I'll have no plans to eventually root. Still shocked on T-Mobile's move. See, they're growing and getting bigger and perhaps more greedier now.
Look at the source. It explains "their reasoning" behind locking it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. T-Mobile started with LG G Flex and looks like it will continue the tradition with S5. (Source) (Also no dev edition AFAIK)

3. Verizon started who knows when? (At least verizon is nice enough to have Dev edition, albeit expensive as hell).

What does all this mean?

You can have a recovery called "Safestrap" which will allow you to flash only TW based ROMs and simple MODs such as bootanimations but nothing more.