[Q] how to root tmobile galaxy s3 SGH-T999L?

Search This thread

MotoDefier

Aug 4, 2011
Flower Mound
If you aren't running stock firmware what are you running?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999L using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

If your not on stock firmware what are you running?

If you don't want to reset your phone motochopper is the way to go in my opinion, it doesn't take more than a few minutes.

Reactions: enveous

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Odin does not wipe anything. If you were on stock MD5 (4.1.2), and you followed the root66 instructions, when you reboot it will be exactly as it was before, only rooted.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

MotoDefier

Aug 4, 2011
Flower Mound
Odin does not wipe anything. If you were on stock MD5 (4.1.2), and you followed the root66 instructions, when you reboot it will be exactly as it was before, only rooted.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

@doc. Just wondering here, why is root66 your preferred method? Has it been proven safer? Is it just that you have more knowledge of how it works? Obviously I would rather be giving that same advice if it has been proven safer, just looking for better education on this.

Edit: I have always recommended motochopper because I used it for my T999L and I liked the fact that it was fast and obviously that it didn't brick my device.

Last edited:

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
@doc. Just wondering here, why is root66 your preferred method? Has it been proven safer? Is it just that you have more knowledge of how it works? Obviously I would rather be giving that same advice if it has been proven safer, just looking for better education on this.

Edit: I have always recommended motochopper because I used it for my T999L and I liked the fact that it was fast and obviously that it didn't brick my device.
I too recommend Root66. I know there are other equally good methods but this one seems far too easy to explain. Also It is fairly noob proof in my opinion. Galaxys3root.com even has a video tutorial. So makes easy as well.

MotoDefier

Aug 4, 2011
Flower Mound
I too recommend Root66. I know there are other equally good methods but this one seems far too easy to explain. Also It is fairly noob proof in my opinion. Galaxys3root.com even has a video tutorial. So makes easy as well.

Huh, so its really a potato pototo kind of thing. Motochopper is as easy as, and fairly noob proof. DL motochopper, tick debugging, run script hit enter, auto reboot, done.

Does root66 trip the flash counter?

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Huh, so its really a potato pototo kind of thing. Motochopper is as easy as, and fairly noob proof. DL motochopper, tick debugging, run script hit enter, auto reboot, done.

Indeed its Potato vs pototo thing. Aptly put! Root66 does not trip counter.

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012

root66 won't trip the flash counter, but the custom recovery is going to do that the first time you reboot. Flash counter can't factor into the argument unless you aren't going to be using a custom recovery.

It's faster to Odin recovery and flash SuperSU with it. And no more dangerous.

MotoDefier

Aug 4, 2011
Flower Mound
Indeed its Potato vs pototo thing. Aptly put! Root66 does not trip counter.

The only thing I wonder about is... With motochopper there are no extra options available that could assist you in bricking, while ODIN does infact have additional options that when used improperly can cause a brick I.e. flashing to phone, recovery, modem, CSC instead of PDA. Or simply flashing with the .pit option with no available .pit file, I know that's a very rare mistake but its a mistake noobs have the option to make, and have made multiple times in the past because they had a different OS version than that of the person writing the guide.

(DISCLAIMER: of course we all know any time you attempt to modify your device there is always some assumed risk, and no matter how well it has been documented for one method or another, there is always that one device or one desktop OS that has some rogue anomaly or environment variable not present in most that can cause a brick. ALWAYS DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING, IF ITS NOT CRYSTAL CLEAR ASK THE PERSON WHO WROTE IT TO CLARIFY BEFORE PROCEEDING.)

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
I always recommend root66 for several reasons:

• It's about as easy as it gets. (You only have to flash one thing to gain root)
  • You don't have to worry about whether or not the person you are helping wants to flash a rom after rooting, or if they just want stock rooted.
  • It ensures people are on the latest build.
  • After rooting, people wont have to ask "How do I update my firmware?", or "Why can't I flash anything? I keep getting status 7 errors in recovery?"
  • EVERYONE who is going to root or mess around with their device like we do NEEDS to know how to use Odin! Better they get familiar with it now!
  • They also need to know that firmware exists and where to find it! And that it is different than a ROM.
  • Oh, and I also wrote our Firmware thread, I don't want to let it go to waste now do I? ;)

There are a few other minor reasons, but those are the main, most important ones.

I don't really call it the safest solution anymore, especially since the toolkit is gone!
Motochopper, IMO, served its purpose by helping us gain root without writing over the stock recovery on your T999L. While it certainly is good to know about it, I don't generally recommend using it for two main reasons:

• I do feel using Odin is a little safer than using any exploit. This is mostly just my personal opinion/feeling about it. I don't have proof either way, and I'm not saying Motochopper is not safe to use, just I don't think it is as safe as using Odin.
  • Motochopper has been patched against in Samsungs latest builds. It will work for current ones, but will essentially become useless for any of our future updated ones. Better to teach folks a method that we know will continue to work.

There are benefits to Aerowinders preferred method too though. The noob user still learns a little about Odin, and if they plan on flashing a custom rom, they simply just flash recovery in Odin, then flash the rom they want. Provided they are already updated to LJC or MD5, of course.

Hope that explains it well enough!

MotoDefier

Aug 4, 2011
Flower Mound
Looks like I need to do a little more research myself! Thanks for the thorough explanation. Great points, we are all lucky to have an RC with your knowledge.

EDIT: I don't know that I would call motochopper a true exploit though, after digging through its resources and its batch script it seems to use the same "security hole" as a lot of one clicks do which is just pushing the superuser.apk and su binary to the /data/local/tmp folder at least on every device I have ever had this folders permissions don't get patched or changed I know I don't understand what exactly goes on after the files get pushed which may mean I'm simply to stupid at the moment to understand, but it doesn't make sense to me that simply pushing the necessary files to the temp folder allow it to install superuser rights if that's the case anyone with a medium level knowledge of adb could root it within a few minutes without a one click app. Any thoughts as to why this works?

Last edited:

honeycomb93

Oct 16, 2011

Just flash cwm or twrp using odin, then flash the supersu zip.
Everything you need is in my sig.
Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda premium

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Also, the motochopper exploit will work.

Hi, my name is Ben. I only did this twice, and I followed detailed, much more step by step tutorials. Is there a chance you could make a tutorial, or guide, or something.

SixStringSW

Feb 8, 2015
The Recovery way works just fine, 4.3 or not.

The Recovery way works just fine, 4.3 or not.

Just to be sure (I bricked my phone and just got it back from the shop). It's a Galaxy S3 T-999L and now has SlimKat 4.4.4, but came back to me improperly rooted (or not rooted at all, maybe). I can root it using the Recovery Way with Odin 3.09 and installing CWMS3Tmobilerecovery.tar, is that correct?

Last edited:

aquatarkus

Feb 18, 2011
Toronto
What's the quickest and least painful way of rooting an S3 which is running Samsux's OTA-updated version of KK 4.4.2? Is motochopper going to work with KK? I used saferoot successfully on my Gnex, but I've read reports of it bricking S3s with 4.3, so maybe it's not safe with KK either.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Use motochopper, it only takes around two to three minutes total, and it leaves you with stock recovery in case you need to go back for waranty purposes, motochopper also does not trip the flash counter, or change the system binary to custom. besides that with the T999L you dont need a custom recovery as the stock recovery has adb sideload support( see Edit at the Bottom For further citation), you just wont be flashing any custom roms until we get some odin roms built, personally I wouldn't flash any custom rom until DocHoliday77 has a true stock odin built, and that won't be until we can get our hands on the stock firmware, which won't happen until the T999L gets an update or at least until sammy releases the firmware, which is pretty much the same time.
    EDIT:
    after modding a few system files, and getting stuck in a boot loop @ the T-Mobile splash screen, i have found that in fact you don't need a custom recovery for anything but flashing custom Roms/Kernels, the stock recovery not only supports the new Adb Sideload function, the dept of adb support seems to be full adb support all the way down to shell support as i was able to use the following to delete the modded system files and get my device back and running from the recovery menu (no options selected)

adb devices
    adb shell
    su
    rm /system/framework/multiwindow.jar
    rm /system/framework/multiwindow.odex

i was allowed to use the rm function of the shell to delete the two files i added to the system/framework folder.
    You're good to use the T999 roms. Just do not flash any modems or firmware not specifically for your model.
    Aldo, many CM/AOSP roms may not flash. There is a way to solve this and as devs update their roms I'm hoping they start adding the T999L to the script to allow it.

Please read forum rules before posting
    Questions and Help issues go in Q&A and help section
    Thread moved
    Thank you for your cooperation
    Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
    Just read this. Thanks MotoDefier, do you mean that we can't flash custom rom for T999L yet?

Yes/no if you flash a custom rom you will have to flash a custom recovery to do so, which means you will lose your stock recovery, Docholiday77 is currently working on making all the data we pulled from my T999L compatible with odin, which once its done you won't have to worry, but if you flash custom recovery, custom rom at this stage, you will be essentially locked out of your warranty until we have everything ready for odin, also we just pulled all the info for rom development just about a week ago so I doubt anyone has really had the time, or resources to build a custom rom specifically for the T999L which means you will be flashing at the risk of paid Samsung factory repair if it soft bricks, I'm not sure but I think doc has enough on a rom now to help you out if you brick with cwm or twrp, and with the stock adb sideload support you might be able to push the stock recovery we pulled but you should definitely ask doc for specifics as to what he has to help you if something doesn't go right with a custom rom.
    Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda app-developers app
    Actually let me clarify I seriously doubt anyone besides doc has has been able to make a custom rom specifically for the T999L