[kill write protection] MotoWpNoMo

Search This thread

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
Introducing MotoWpNoMo. The purpose of this application is to disable the pesky write protection on BL-locked motorola devices. After successfully running this application, you will no longer need to boot recovery or use other methods to temporarily remove write protection. This exploit is permanent in the sense it will survive factory resets, reflashing the device, etc. However, like with any exploit, you should not expect it to survive OTA's or other updates. This application will work with many motorola devices, however I'm only posting it here to keep the files and feedback consolidated (plus, I'm lazy). THIS IS NOT A BOOTLOADER UNLOCK, IT ONLY REMOVES WRITE PROTECTION. Let's get started....

Credits and terms:

beaups and fuses for MotoWpNomo application. jcase for root and gunnyman and brianr134 for testing. MotoWpNomo MAY NOT BE REHOSTED, REPACKAGED, INTEGRATED INTO A ONE-CLICK, BAT, SHELL SCRIPT, OR ANY OTHER APPLICATION. THE ONLY PLACE TO ACQUIRE THIS APPLICATION SHALL BE RIGHT HERE, IN THIS THREAD. THIS IS NOT OPEN SOURCE, DON'T ASK!

Pre-requisites:

1.) Working root (su). Jcase's methods are fully supported here
2.) Working adb and fastboot drivers. Yes, that means WORKING. Don't clutter this thread with driver issues
3.) Linux (32 bit) or windows
4.) Disable all firewalls/internet security/antivirus before running. This is the #1 issue encountered when running the application

Instructions:

Linux (preferred):

1.) download the application: motowpnomo
2.) extract the archive: tar -xf [filename]
3.) run the application: sudo ./wpbegone
4.) follow the on-screen prompts

Windows:

2.) extract the archive
3.) run wpbegone.exe as administrator

After the application is complete, you can verify with:

adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect

If you see "0", that pesky write protection is gone

Donations are appreciated and can be made to (paypal): motowpnomo@gmail.com

support is available in #MotoWpNoMo on the freenode and andirc networks.

Last edited:

Ctrl-Freak

Oct 15, 2013
Wow... Sounds great.

So... What part of the phone is changed? How do you revert to stock?

Thanks!

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
If you are running this on a Mac in a VM, each time the phone reboots and the program is waiting for adb, unplug the phone and plug it back in once the phone is started up again or else the process will fail.

Reactions: Gundabolu SC

RobertsDF

Oct 19, 2009
Sounds great but is there no way to get back to write-protected other then OTA? Will flashing the FXZ restore it?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

beaups

Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
cool. i will. if it works ill let you know so you can setup a thread in the droid ultra/maxx forum if you would like

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

oh, so are you guys flashing your stock recovery back after this w/o issues?

Recovery will not affect this. If you get issue on other device, pm me. Should be able to add support.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

TheWhiteChallenger

Mar 7, 2013
Recovery will not affect this. If you get issue on other device, pm me. Should be able to add support.

ok ill let u know via pm, im trying something else right now if that works i should be able to tell you in a couple hours. and i was wondering if stock recovery could be re-flashed to re-enable a standard factory reset not to remove mod. so that should work right?

beaups

Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
ok ill let u know via pm, im trying something else right now if that works i should be able to tell you in a couple hours. and i was wondering if stock recovery could be re-flashed to re-enable a standard factory reset not to remove mod. so that should work right?

Yes you can flash stock recovery after this.

shane1

Nov 22, 2010
After running it said no su fu after rebooting su binaries weren't up to date and su couldnt fix. Ran adb and got the 0 so it worked then had to run a couple commands from the root thread and all is well again.

rmead01

Sep 6, 2012
Ran into an issue and jumped in your IRC. Hopefully someone is around to help.

AdhvanIt

Aug 8, 2009
Grand Rapids, Mi.
Code:
Please wait....
Checking for updates......
Test 1: Rebooting into bootloader
Waiting for fastboot (4/120)
Waiting
Test 2: Booting device
Waiting for ADB (37/120)
must play a little while longer...

it's so cold in here
hmm, hold please
[*********************************************]
ERROR: looks like device is not rooted.  su or FU!!!
adhvanit@Lisa ~ $ adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

Any idea what would cause it to not work? If there's a way for me to pull a log of what failed specifically, I could probably be of more help.
VZW Moto X locked BL running 4.4.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing MotoWpNoMo. The purpose of this application is to disable the pesky write protection on BL-locked motorola devices. After successfully running this application, you will no longer need to boot recovery or use other methods to temporarily remove write protection. This exploit is permanent in the sense it will survive factory resets, reflashing the device, etc. However, like with any exploit, you should not expect it to survive OTA's or other updates. This application will work with many motorola devices, however I'm only posting it here to keep the files and feedback consolidated (plus, I'm lazy). THIS IS NOT A BOOTLOADER UNLOCK, IT ONLY REMOVES WRITE PROTECTION. Let's get started....

Credits and terms:

beaups and fuses for MotoWpNomo application. jcase for root and gunnyman and brianr134 for testing. MotoWpNomo MAY NOT BE REHOSTED, REPACKAGED, INTEGRATED INTO A ONE-CLICK, BAT, SHELL SCRIPT, OR ANY OTHER APPLICATION. THE ONLY PLACE TO ACQUIRE THIS APPLICATION SHALL BE RIGHT HERE, IN THIS THREAD. THIS IS NOT OPEN SOURCE, DON'T ASK!

Pre-requisites:

1.) Working root (su). Jcase's methods are fully supported here
    2.) Working adb and fastboot drivers. Yes, that means WORKING. Don't clutter this thread with driver issues
    3.) Linux (32 bit) or windows
    4.) Disable all firewalls/internet security/antivirus before running. This is the #1 issue encountered when running the application

Instructions:

Linux (preferred):

2.) extract the archive: tar -xf [filename]
    3.) run the application: sudo ./wpbegone

Windows:

2.) extract the archive
    3.) run wpbegone.exe as administrator

After the application is complete, you can verify with:

adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect

If you see "0", that pesky write protection is gone

Donations are appreciated and can be made to (paypal): motowpnomo@gmail.com

support is available in #MotoWpNoMo on the freenode and andirc networks.
    Wow... Sounds great.

So... What part of the phone is changed? How do you revert to stock?

Thanks!

1.) a magical part
    2.) you don't
    I cannot seem to grasp the big picture of the benefit gained by this procedure. On a razr m with an non-unlockable boot & root access what is the benefit in the form of an example? That would mean running SafeStrap & compatible 4.1.2 roms.
    Or how does this differ from root access?
    I assume then that this gives the file system benefit of an unlock but without the recovery freedom....

Starting with the MotoX, Motorola started applying low level write protection to parts of the flash memory (in this case just /system). Root alone does not give us the ability to modify anything in system. My original hackjob that we used to bypass this has been fixed in Android 4.4. This is required if you want to actually install su into the /system partition.
    Here is my personal copy >> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B67RS0BDBp_iajNtTGEtZ191Ykk/edit?usp=docslist_api

sent by my 4.3_14.14.14
    XT1028 (aka) Moto-G
    The LAST American Cell Phone.!
    Allow me to understand your posts please..

You started with Rooted 4.2.2, attempted the 4.4 retain Root from 4.2.2 then failed, had 4.4 No ROOT..

FXZ'd back to 4.2.2

Ran the 4.2.2 process, from 4.2.2 to 4.4 and now have successfully completed the process, and now have 4.4 Rooted.?

Are you positive.??

Do you own the DEV version device.??

sent by my MZ617-32 XYBoard 10.1_SafeStrap v3.12_Jelly Bean 4.1.2

Please donate to: jcase & Hashcode (if you can)

I have a Moto Maker VZW version of the phone.

I started at 4.4 originally since it shipped with that.
    Downgraded to 4.2.2 via RSD
    Rooted via RockMyMoto
    Removed WP succesfully (after I realized WF was still active and I deactivated it)
    Verified WP was removed. Showed a '0'
    Ran RSD again to get a clean install of 4.2.2
    Ran SlapMyMoto to the step where I need to take the OTA
    Took the OTA
    Finished the process
    Installed SuperSU to verify I had root
    Installed XPosed Module
    Having fun customizing my rooted phone :)