Possible 13/14.3.2.3.2 root

Search This thread

Faznx92

Nov 18, 2013
Notice: Towelroot works!
Added to the toolkit.

It is possible 13/14.3.2.2 can be rooted. Talk between a few devs confirm this.

id suggest keeping your kindle in offline mode for the next couple of months. perhaps until the xda developers conference? the exploits were shown to amazon's team, so they will patch it before it is released. hence the keep it offline
he has it working and will have it. he likes telling companies their bugs so they can patch it and make a more secure device once its patched he releases root. should be about 90 days or so, but once its patched i believe he plans on releasing the root then so there wont be any need to let people know as it will be posted. its just a matter of letting them know to not accept updates (which you can only do by never connecting). so people who sit offline are fine enough, just sucks for anyone who wont. i thought about posting "If anyone was serious about wanting root they would keep their device off the internet until the next root was found".
(I didn't include a name because I don't want to name drop anyone unexpectedly)

As you can tell, if you can bide without a net connection, it's worth the possible wait. Just keep your device disconnected from the net. Give it some time. If you do connect, be vigilant of it updating. Do not leave it connect to the internet unintended or on standby.

Update:
I highly suggest if you are going to wait, don't mess around with filtering connections. Before I was almost sure I blocked all out and inbound connections (with android firewall(a config front for iptables)) from Amazon but people were updated.

Last edited:

ferrouskid

Mar 12, 2014
wow thanks man
also,if the new root comes out wouldn't it be wise to use rom manager instead of safestrap? That way I think the other ROM would be always turned off and you wouldn't need to have it on airplane mode all the time.
I'm interested weather that would fix the problem?

Faznx92

Nov 18, 2013
wow thanks man
also,if the new root comes out wouldn't it be wise to use rom manager instead of safestrap? That way I think the other ROM would be always turned off and you wouldn't need to have it on airplane mode all the time.
I'm interested weather that would fix the problem?
Haven't seen anybody test it when we had root. It's a sure thing to block ota updates, but until we get root, that's when we'll see. Wait to get root, block the updates then make a backup of the (ota blocked) stock rom and use that for future rom needs.

Last edited:

Faznx92

Nov 18, 2013
Just to clarify I'm not releasing it, a (unnamed) person is.
I however, will be testing it once released and possibly add it to my root tool if all goes well.

Faznx92

Nov 18, 2013
Btw, has anyone heard from the vroot people? Are they working on something? More then likely not.

Last edited:

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Hehe lol. Is this serious ?

Envoyé de mon KFTHWI en utilisant Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

That's crap, I did just spent around 20 minutes to write a wonderful speech about this crap with quotes, endgaget, pspupdatea, xda articles about me to say I'm a nice, cool and old school hacker which can say this man is crap by just teasing this crap.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

In the meantime this post was really, really faster :)

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

He... I did forget to say that this 20 min crappy speech was lost by this crappy taptalk app and that English is not my primary language (I did spent a very very few time at school) and that I'm a little drunk, which is not very interesting here !

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

I just want to say this guy is not a guy like us/me. You have no interest in waiting to release something cool except getting some attention. This can lead to a long debate but this is my point.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

Well I should drink more as I'm not far to update just to find an exploit and **** this crap.

iMJets

Sep 25, 2012
New York
The above person needs to stop drinking and typing on forums :confused:

As for this root, I find it hard to believe that a random person has found a exploit, and is going to utilize it to get everyone root. But I am going to wait patiently, just like I do with everything, and I will continue trying to work on my own in airplane mode.

Reactions: txgranny

txgranny

May 29, 2014
North of Galveston, Tx.
Itchy fingers..

My 8.9 is a week old and I'm dying to get at it. Will be waiting for the brains out there to make it possible. Meanwhile I'll keep it offline and be checking this forum 3x's a day!!!!

Faznx92

Nov 18, 2013
As for this root, I find it hard to believe that a random person has found a exploit, and is going to utilize it to get everyone root. But I am going to wait patiently, just like I do with everything, and I will continue trying to work on my own in airplane mode.

I'm just spreading the word what was pm to me. I'm not looking for fame. I just want this bad boy cracked, rooted, and everything in between. But if people decide to leave thanks, that's their doing. I'm just trying to help keep talk active.

To further clarify, I received news/quotes that 13/14.3.2.2 may be rootable and that someone found it. But the person seems to be waiting to inform Amazon, then decide to release it. All I'm really saying is if you want to wait for the possible root access, now is the time to wait. If you're blocking ota, just wait around. If your not blocking updates, you should keep your device disconnected and wait.

Please see the word possible and not mistake it for probable. Patience is the best thing for now.
But regardless, please inform others.
iMJets this isn't towards you, I'm just addressing the question

Last edited:

plasticarmyman

Apr 13, 2011
Long Beach
I was the person who notified faz that there might be a root released soon.
I was PMed information from a verified XDA developer who provided me information about a /possible/ root getting released for this update in the near future.

The person who PMd me and the person who provided them with the information want to remain anonymous for their own reasons.

I am not a recognized developer or a person of interest in the development community. Which is why I provided the information I had to Faz.
What you do with this information is up to you.
I personally believe in the spirit of Open Source and think that information like this should be shared, I did not think any of you would believe me if I said anything so I reached out to Faz.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Reactions: Faznx92

iattilagy

Nov 28, 2011
Budapest
I personally believe in the spirit of Open Source and think that information like this should be shared, I did not think any of you would believe me if I said anything so I reached out to Faz.

+1 I have never seen anyone here on xda being such on idiot that after finding a root exploit (likely a lot of work), he makes sure that it is patched up in the latest version and realease it later. I think GPL should be modified to disallow usage of locked bootloaders.

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
mine

My 8.9 is a week old and I'm dying to get at it. Will be waiting for the brains out there to make it possible. Meanwhile I'll keep it offline and be checking this forum 3x's a day!!!!

I received my new 8.9 last week and I skipped setup turned on airplane mode and checked firmware it came with the rootable one .so u should check unless u let it go to wifi already then i t probably updated.

txgranny

May 29, 2014
North of Galveston, Tx.
I received my new 8.9 last week and I skipped setup turned on airplane mode and checked firmware it came with the rootable one .so u should check unless u let it go to wifi already then i t probably updated.

Thanks, but alas my excitement over my new toy was my doom... and I know better. I am sure the brilliant minds will come through with root for us though - just hard to be patient since I think this device has so much potential.

ferrouskid

Mar 12, 2014
Thanks, but alas my excitement over my new toy was my doom... and I know better. I am sure the brilliant minds will come through with root for us though - just hard to be patient since I think this device has so much potential.

Well the thing is next time I think it could be wise to ask the devs to maybe work on different ROMS, for example optimising the paranoid android ROM maybe? The thing is, that way the Amazon ROM would be off all the time, right?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Notice: Towelroot works!
    Added to the toolkit.

It is possible 13/14.3.2.2 can be rooted. Talk between a few devs confirm this.

id suggest keeping your kindle in offline mode for the next couple of months. perhaps until the xda developers conference? the exploits were shown to amazon's team, so they will patch it before it is released. hence the keep it offline
    he has it working and will have it. he likes telling companies their bugs so they can patch it and make a more secure device once its patched he releases root. should be about 90 days or so, but once its patched i believe he plans on releasing the root then so there wont be any need to let people know as it will be posted. its just a matter of letting them know to not accept updates (which you can only do by never connecting). so people who sit offline are fine enough, just sucks for anyone who wont. i thought about posting "If anyone was serious about wanting root they would keep their device off the internet until the next root was found".
    (I didn't include a name because I don't want to name drop anyone unexpectedly)

As you can tell, if you can bide without a net connection, it's worth the possible wait. Just keep your device disconnected from the net. Give it some time. If you do connect, be vigilant of it updating. Do not leave it connect to the internet unintended or on standby.

Update:
    I highly suggest if you are going to wait, don't mess around with filtering connections. Before I was almost sure I blocked all out and inbound connections (with android firewall(a config front for iptables)) from Amazon but people were updated.
    Wait, wuttt? Is this for real? Has he and his team already done it or just working on it? Is this the same kinda deal as like s off, something like 25 bucks for each device to use the software to unlock the tablet? Are you on the team? What info can you provide for us beyond this tweet? I mean, with a bootloader unlock and cm or asop or pretty much any custom Rom I feel like this could potentially be the best tablet I've ever owned. Don't tease a nerd like this.

I can confirm that the unlock is real.

It should be noted that users should NEVER EVER get or take another update from Amazon. This usually involves an upgrade to the "aboot" partition which will IMMEDIATELY RELOCK the device.

Once the device is unlocked several key changes take place in the functionality:
    - The device no longer checks for signatures on recovery or boot images. This would allow for custom recovery and the potential for full AOSP ROMs.
    - If powered on with both volume buttons pressed, fastboot mode is started for easier recovery of the device.

The unlock, may only apply to certain versions of the OS (*.3.2.1 etc). Some tests for downgrading and then running the exploit need to happen over the weekend and I'm sure that's why you don't see this released yet.

Also, there is probably going to be a fee to unlock, that's a new business model for devs to still make some money off unlock exploits while keeping that exploit from being patched by the OEMs.
    So rather than use vroot or some otehr chinese crap load up towelroot.com and install the apk, should work to root yall :)
    Please hear me out.

You people who keep commenting 'I'm sick of waiting', 'fu*k Amazon', 'bla blaa blaaaa' please, return it. No one is holding you down and forcing you to keep the device. You spent the money and so you can return it, sell it, or trade it for a Nexus 7. This way of reasoning is compared to people who do not research who they vote for and then are protest when they aren't represented. I find it sad we stooped to this level. Now, there are us who knew what we were putting are hard earned cash towards and still took a bite out the pie. We knew the hdx may never be developed but we're in it for the struggle. We knew it would be a game of cat and mouse. And so, we dance.

We can try to nudge Amazon all we want but the truth is they are a corporation valued by shares in the market. Their one and only goal is to make money and make more of it faster. There's no beating around the bush. If you're angered by not getting what you want faster, then vote differently with your money, that's all.

My point is, complaining about xyz is not fully productive. All of you, place your xyz's in Amazon's lap and let them respond. Complaining can motivate people to do xyz faster but only to an extent. At this moment we (xda/hdx) are at a limit. The rules of the game are to wait between the rocks or get caught in the stream passing by.

Can't handle it? Fail and be sad in a corner.
    Your choice.
    +1 I have never seen anyone here on xda being such on idiot that after finding a root exploit (likely a lot of work), he makes sure that it is patched up in the latest version and realease it later. I think GPL should be modified to disallow usage of locked bootloaders.

the irony....