[KERNEL] Stock KitKat kernels & White Lines issue fix

Search This thread

Cloudyfa

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 16, 2005
HCM City
Stock KitKat Kernel

Info
You guys already know our G2's issue with LG's official KitKat upgrade. It forces us to use the new bootloader which is loki-killer, that means no custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, Philz), no custom kernel anymore. Right now there's no way to bypass that new bootloader in order to install those stuff. Anyway we still have a workaround to deal with that issue by patching the new kernel so it can work with the old bootloader (which still has loki support) thanks to @JackpotClavin, @Savoca, @xdabbeb​

Upgrade to KitKat
For best experience with KitKat, you should follow these steps:
  • Upgrade to KitKat first (KDZ/TOT/OTA)
  • Root by ioroot25
  • Use AutoRec to have recovery
Then you can flash any ROM you like

*D801 must root before taking KitKat OTA

Return To JellyBean
It's real simple when you wanna return to your old ROM or your NAND backup (JB base). All you need is downloading the old JB Baseband and flash it, then your ROM / backup. You can find old JB Baseband here in @autoprime 's thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2451426

White lines issue
Some devices use different panel hardware (JDI instead of LGIT) and you will have white lines after using patched kernel. You must use those kernel with "_jdi" in its name. More info: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52414185&postcount=122

Download

*Special thank to all the DEVs here in XDA that involved in the KitKat research.

XDA:DevDB Information
[KERNEL] Stock KitKat kernels & White Lines issue fix, a Kernel for the LG G2

Contributors
Cloudyfa, Savoca
Kernel Special Features: Working with Old Bootloader

Version Information

Created 2014-03-14
Last Updated 2014-05-04

htcm7

Jul 7, 2013
Currently, on Earth
A noob question, what if, after update to KK baseband an ROM, want to go back to JB.

Is it enough just to flash JB ROM/restore JB backup ROM or need to restore via download mode + JB's kdz file?

prking07

Oct 8, 2008
levittown
Quick question, since in the d803 canadian g2 on 4.2.2 i can flash tmo d801 basebands just fine and they work excellent, would it be a possibility for you to make a test d803 canada kitkat kernel so we can test with tmo 4.4 basebands?

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Lowresolution

Dec 28, 2011
So i just have to flash the KK Baseband ? ( I am on Philz with Stock 4.2.2 ) . Then just download any rom and flash via Philz ? and then i can go back to my nandroid of 4.2.2 ?

Do i need to flash the patched kernel as well ?

Reactions: ali_ign

ChrisM75

Nov 2, 2013
Thanks a lot for this!

I guessing that if we flash one of the root patched Stock ROMs all we need do is flash the ROM, then the patched kernel, then reflash the recovery again. Once done it should all work as before?

somboons

Apr 25, 2011
Bangkok
work!!
I use TWRP

attachment.php

takeoff342

Oct 3, 2010
Mannheim
what i dont understand. in OP stand, at first to Flash the KK baseband.....
But when i Flash a kitkat Rom, the KK baseband will be installed automaticlly. Logical.
i write how i would Flash, maybe others correct my idea:

- stock 4.2.2 Rom
- root it
- Flash recovery
- install KK Rom (give enough on Forum)
- Flash the Special kernel.
- reboot
- Flash you recovery as u do it on 4.2.2

is that correct?

Reactions: maorosh

Cloudyfa

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 16, 2005
HCM City
@Cloudyfa i flashed successfully with twrp 2.7.0 without any errors at all :) working just fine here ! i guess we can add twrp to the supported recovery list

I am 2.6.3.3 and 2.7 successfully too.

Nope, if you just flash your device's kdz (extracted system) or moded one, its not a problem. But it's a pain when dev wanna overwrite something in their flashable patch. Only Philz have no issue for KK right now.

@ ALL: If you're posting here asking for a guide, you're doing something very wrong, this thread aims to DEVs only. If your favourite DEV didnt upgrade his ROM to KK yet, or still using the new bootloader (lost recovery), you just need to point this thread to him so he can know all the needed info and update his new version with a working recovery and remove all useless parts inside.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stock KitKat Kernel

Info
    You guys already know our G2's issue with LG's official KitKat upgrade. It forces us to use the new bootloader which is loki-killer, that means no custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, Philz), no custom kernel anymore. Right now there's no way to bypass that new bootloader in order to install those stuff. Anyway we still have a workaround to deal with that issue by patching the new kernel so it can work with the old bootloader (which still has loki support) thanks to @JackpotClavin, @Savoca, @xdabbeb​

Upgrade to KitKat
    For best experience with KitKat, you should follow these steps:
    • Upgrade to KitKat first (KDZ/TOT/OTA)
    • Root by ioroot25
    • Use AutoRec to have recovery
    Then you can flash any ROM you like

*D801 must root before taking KitKat OTA

Return To JellyBean
    It's real simple when you wanna return to your old ROM or your NAND backup (JB base). All you need is downloading the old JB Baseband and flash it, then your ROM / backup. You can find old JB Baseband here in @autoprime 's thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2451426

White lines issue
    Some devices use different panel hardware (JDI instead of LGIT) and you will have white lines after using patched kernel. You must use those kernel with "_jdi" in its name. More info: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52414185&postcount=122

Download

*Special thank to all the DEVs here in XDA that involved in the KitKat research.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [KERNEL] Stock KitKat kernels & White Lines issue fix, a Kernel for the LG G2

Contributors
    Cloudyfa, Savoca
    Kernel Special Features: Working with Old Bootloader

Version Information

Created 2014-03-14
    Last Updated 2014-05-04
    Stock kernel patched with Knock Code supported:

D802: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=14195

I and @Savoca will try to adapt this KC to other variants soon.
    Some devices use different panel hardware (JDI instead of LGIT) and you will have white lines after using patched kernel. You must use those kernel with "_jdi" in its name.

For Devs:
    You should make another version of your kernel to fix that issue for those using JDI panel. By using this cmdline appending:
    "mdss_mdp.panel=1:dsi:0:qcom,mdss_dsi_g2_jdi_cmd" instead of
    "mdss_mdp.panel=1:dsi:0:qcom,mdss_dsi_g2_lgd_cmd"

For Users:
    Show your favourite Dev this post and he'll know what he should do in order to fix the issue.
    If you're using Stock kernel, flash these kernel instead: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=14480
    Any chance for LS980??

D803 sources are out on lg

Sent from my LG-D803
    In progress :)
    @Cloudyfa Now that d803 KitKat has been released, can we have patched kernel and new modem as well?
    I have extracted bin files with firmware extractor but don't know how to extract further to img file for submitting here, to save you from downloading 1.6gb file.

Sent from my LG-D803
    Maybe, please pm me the modem.bin and boot.bin you extracted.