[Q] OTA after root and s-off

Search This thread

itkowitz

Sep 12, 2013
My M8 keeps wanting to update OTA. I rooted with weaksauce and got s-off with firewater. Is it safe to do the OTA update? If so will I still have root / s-off after the update? Sorry, I'm new to Android rooting.

Apr 1, 2014
I'm a beginner too, don't do what I say

From what I know, it should work if you flash the stock recovery through ADB from this thread:
AIO VZW M8 Developer Resource Thread

And then installing the OTA.
From what I (think) i (might possibly) know: An OTA installs "stuff" through the stock recovery, therefore if you have a custom one it wont work.

As I said, I'm a beginner too. If you do what I said above, there is a decent chance it wont work. That's because I'm guessing.

So if you are bored and have 500 spare M8s laying around, go for it.. Otherwise wait for a more experienced guy to find this thread.

(this post is my way of saying that I'm curious too.)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Last edited:

The Stig 04

Mar 6, 2013
This is a question that has been answered time after time. You will NOT lose S-OFF. You need the stock recovery in order to take it and will need a custom recovery to flash super zip or install weaksauce and superuser.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: Schedonnardus

itkowitz

Sep 12, 2013
This is a question that has been answered time after time. You will NOT lose S-OFF. You need the stock recovery in order to take it and will need a custom recovery to flash super zip or install weaksauce and superuser.

Sorry, all the posts I found had people who flashed a custom recovery. I didn't flash a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP. So if I do the OTA, I need a custom recovery afterwards in order to install weaksauce and superuser? When I first rooted, I just installed weaksauce (not from recovery) and it worked fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The root you get from weaksauce and superuser is just a partial, temporary root. For a full root, you need to flash a custom recovery through fastboot, and then flash a supersu zip through your custom recovery.
    Check out this thread: How to Achieve Permanent Root and S-Off