Nexus 5 Dropped it in the toilet -_-

Search This thread

M4ttz

Dec 18, 2012
I know there are many threads about this but some didn't cover my questions and they don't say what to do when you have done things you aren't supposed to do.

So I dropped it in the toilet, I don't even know how but as soon as I did I took it straight out, dried it with a towel and TRIED TO TURN IT ON AND CHARGE IT. I later found out that I shouldn't have done these things. Anyway afterwards I put it in a container of rice with the lid shut. It seems to be much drier now but still isn't working, however the computer makes a sound when I plug it in. I then went and took the back cover off and saw one of the wires (on the right side) seemed to have a busted resistor, I was wondering if that was the problem and it could be fixed?

P.S. When I charge it all I get is a red light.

I'm from Australia so country related help would be great.

UPDATE: I just plugged it into the computer again and the screen seemed to light up a bit for about 30 seconds and the phone vibrates when I hold the power button.

UPDATE 2: I can hear noises like the screenshot noise and the volume up and down noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: teonagode

AppleInc

May 9, 2014
You forget tot wipe the sh!t of. What about the rice? Stil beable to eat it? Or taste it like sh!t? Wrong forum btw.

M4ttz

Dec 18, 2012
I am getting notifications and the notification LED is working but the screen just lights up without anything on it.

KoRoZIV

Aug 27, 2010
Ploiesti
Keep it a few more days in the rice. I hope you didn't fried it. Do not try to charge or connect to pc yet, don't power on for some time. After 2 or 3 days on rice, try to start it up. If it vibrates but not starting you need to wait some more time on rice or just go to a repair shop. Don't try to charge the damn thing !!!
I had to keep my x10i about 7 days on rice, I almost abandoned it, but it's working just fine now.
God luck.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: M4ttz

M4ttz

Dec 18, 2012
Keep it a few more days in the rice. I hope you didn't fried it. Do not try to charge or connect to pc yet, don't power on for some time. After 2 or 3 days on rice, try to start it up. If it vibrates but not starting you need to wait some more time on rice or just go to a repair shop. Don't try to charge the damn thing !!!
I had to keep my x10i about 7 days on rice, I almost abandoned it, but it's working just fine now.
God luck.

Thank you, I just took it off charging straight away. Is there a specific way I should do the rice and will it still work if I have been charging it but it still vibrates etc as you described?

Ubichinon

Nov 17, 2012
Rule number 1 after dropping electronics in water:

turn off and leave to dry for at least 3 days before turning on again.

If you follow this rule, you'll have luck in 80% of the cases.

KoRoZIV

Aug 27, 2010
Ploiesti
Should be completely covered in rice. Vertical positioning is recommended, keeping about 2 or 3 centimeters from the botom of the jar ( or bag or whatever ). Shake it slowly every day then put it back on rice. I have no idea if it will work or not, even without charging it, it's about how much water got inside.

M4ttz

Dec 18, 2012
Should be completely covered in rice. Vertical positioning is recommended, keeping about 2 or 3 centimeters from the botom of the jar ( or bag or whatever ). Shake it slowly every day then put it back on rice. I have no idea if it will work or not, even without charging it, it's about how much water got inside.

Ok, thanks, I don't think very much water got inside, when I opened it there was just a bit on the back cover and some condensation on the front-facing camera.

KoRoZIV

Aug 27, 2010
Ploiesti
I hope you get lucky. I didn't disassemble mine completely, just the back cover, battery, sim and SD card, but it wasn't a nexus.

D

Darth

More than likely you're out of luck cause you turned it on and even plugged it in directly after. It's likely shorted out now.

M4ttz

Dec 18, 2012
More than likely you're out of luck cause you turned it on and even plugged it in directly after. It's likely shorted out now.

It seems like everything but the screen is working. As I said it seems like a resistor blew, couldn't I just replace that little cable?

mrbubba999

Mar 28, 2010
Google Pixel C
I had to leave my sons iPod touch in rice for two weeks before it finally fired up and started working as normal (even after I charged it and switched it on as soon as it hit wet)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bushako

Mar 16, 2007
Dubai
I thought it was also important that you take out the batteries

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You forget to wipe the sh!t off. What about the rice? Still be able to eat it? Or will it taste like sh!t? Wrong forum btw.

Sorry about the wrong section I didn't realize that there was a troubleshooting one there. Please use proper English next time.
    I know there are many threads about this but some didn't cover my questions and they don't say what to do when you have done things you aren't supposed to do.

So I dropped it in the toilet, I don't even know how but as soon as I did I took it straight out, dried it with a towel and TRIED TO TURN IT ON AND CHARGE IT. I later found out that I shouldn't have done these things. Anyway afterwards I put it in a container of rice with the lid shut. It seems to be much drier now but still isn't working, however the computer makes a sound when I plug it in. I then went and took the back cover off and saw one of the wires (on the right side) seemed to have a busted resistor, I was wondering if that was the problem and it could be fixed?

P.S. When I charge it all I get is a red light.

I'm from Australia so country related help would be great.

UPDATE: I just plugged it into the computer again and the screen seemed to light up a bit for about 30 seconds and the phone vibrates when I hold the power button.

UPDATE 2: I can hear noises like the screenshot noise and the volume up and down noise.
    God luck.

I had to leave my sons iPod touch in rice for two weeks before it finally fired up and started working as normal (even after I charged it and switched it on as soon as it hit wet)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app