Improved Google Email app released

Search This thread

DogzOfWar

Feb 17, 2009
Google has released an updated email (not GMail app) for the Nexus and Play Store devices.

What's interesting about the X is that our phones use that email app, but since our phones aren't Nexus or Play Store devices, we can't get this app via the Play Store.

However, if you follow that story you can sideload the APK. If you do so, you'll end up with 2 "Email" apps in your app drawer. For me, this app fixed a number of issues and seems quite a bit faster. Also, the UI has been revamped a bit in line with the other Google apps.

If you're a non-Gmail email user, it's definitely worth checking out.

klobkelosh

Jan 25, 2011
Phx, AZ
Unfortunately, the nexus/gpe (googlemail.apk) email app does not update the Moto x app (aosp mail.apk), so if you use the mail app for exchange, like I do, it won't pair with the correct exchange.apk, so there is no exchange support.

Edit: apparently you can have exchange support by installing the Google exchange app. I ripped one from my nexus 7 2013 on 4.4.3 and installed as a normal app. It works just fine. I disabled the system mail and exchange just to be on the safe side. I'll upload the apk here shortly.

Last edited:
Reactions: icon123

vikramkhalsa

Mar 7, 2012
www.amasingh.com
Unfortunately, the nexus/gpe (googlemail.apk) email app does not update the Moto x app (aosp mail.apk), so if you use the mail app for exchange, like I do, it won't pair with the correct exchange.apk, so there is no exchange support.

Edit: apparently you can have exchange support by installing the Google exchange app. I ripped one from my nexus 7 2013 on 4.4.3 and installed as a normal app. It works just fine. I disabled the system mail and exchange just to be on the safe side. I'll upload the apk here shortly.

Yeah i read about that too, I was about to install it until I realized there was an extra step, and wasn't sure if it would be worth the effort. IF you could upload the apk here after confirming that it works, that would be great!

Thanks!

Reactions: klobkelosh

gammite

Mar 13, 2007
I have a nexus 7. Not seeing a speed difference with my exchange acct and any GUI changes are super minor. Still considering loading the apk but not sure if its worth the effort.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    exchange apk attached. Yes, it works.
    Google has released an updated email (not GMail app) for the Nexus and Play Store devices.

What's interesting about the X is that our phones use that email app, but since our phones aren't Nexus or Play Store devices, we can't get this app via the Play Store.

However, if you follow that story you can sideload the APK. If you do so, you'll end up with 2 "Email" apps in your app drawer. For me, this app fixed a number of issues and seems quite a bit faster. Also, the UI has been revamped a bit in line with the other Google apps.

If you're a non-Gmail email user, it's definitely worth checking out.

Yeah i read about that too, I was about to install it until I realized there was an extra step, and wasn't sure if it would be worth the effort. IF you could upload the apk here after confirming that it works, that would be great!

Thanks!