[APP] z4root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

kobrien52

Nov 9, 2010
Hi RyanZA,

Just wondering how long should this take to complete?

It has been running on my SGS (3 Ireland) for about 5 mins now on the "Running exploit in order to obtain root access" screen.

I've had problems in the past trying to use the OCLF.

I have run the "Root recovery device 2e" option and it completes its operation successfully.

I then reboot the phone using the 3 button method and attempt to install the Update. This appears to work successfully but when I return to the OCLF app no new options are available.

The only hiccup I get is when I'm in the boot menu. On the lower segment of the menu some text is highlighted in red "multicsc: cannot acess /system/csc/3IE/system/". The operation still appears to complete successfully though.

Also, the Superuser Permissions app lists no apps.

Tearing my hair out with this as the lag is really starting to bug me especially now that I know it can be fixed.

dkratter14

Oct 4, 2010
New York, NY

b16a2smith

Apr 25, 2010
Bad News...

I CAN READ, I am just letting you know it doesn't work for the Archos 70 internet tablet, it is running 2.1 update 1 and we should be seeing the 2.2 soon, so if you can let me know why and if you need any info on the file system (EXT3) let me know.

b16

It just sits there saying it is running the exploit, is it supposed to?

lucky_guy

Nov 10, 2010
+1 - worked well (z4boot, then OCIF) on Froyo JP0 in Hong Kong. Huge difference in speed of most apps - exception is System's Mail app which remains almost useless (very slow; then hangs without reason but with SORRY message, use another instead). YMMV.

OwLOwLOwL

Apr 8, 2010
I can also confirm this root-method works on the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i with 2.1 - Eclair. It took about 5 min to complete and after the automatic reboot it was rooted!

My firmware:
2.0.A.0.504 with kernel 2.6.29 and baseband 2.0.46

Thanks! Will pass the word!

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
is anyone reading? it says in the first post it is for FROYO!!!!!!! (2.2) NOT 2.1 NOT ECLAIR NOT ANY OTHER VERSION!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, not true. The flaw this uses to root you doesn't depend on OS version. However, some devices block it I believe.

It will probably work on about 50% or more of currently available Android devices - I only have an I9000 though, so I can't test it on anything but that. I'll hopefully be able to build a table of 'supports' vs 'not supports' in the future when I get more reports.

At this point, all I can say is give it a shot and maybe it will work. :)

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
hi i have market paid oclf, will this work with 2.2 froyo or should i use z4 for root.

ryanza thanks for all your hard work.

Market OCLF will have this included in it soonish, plus this app will be on the market soonish too. I can only do this in my free time though, which isn't that much, so it's not an instant process. :D

w17chm4n

Nov 10, 2010
[Noob alert!] I assume that after applying z4root, rebooting my Samsung Galaxy I5700 and getting "su: not found" in Better Terminal Emulator root did fail ?

jeronz

Jul 1, 2010
I have an HTC desire (GSM) and have just used your application.

I have a couple questions.

Because I have a desire will this only be giving me shell root, not full root? (i.e. same limitations and super one click?)

How do I tell if it worked?

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
I have an HTC desire (GSM) and have just used your application.

I have a couple questions.

Because I have a desire will this only be giving me shell root, not full root? (i.e. same limitations and super one click?)

How do I tell if it worked?

You will have a superuser app in your app list.
And yes, same limitations as superoneclick - if your device has specially locked down NAND, then the only way to fix that is to modify the radio firmware apparently (pretty awful of HTC I must say), and this app doesn't do anything so dangerous. ;)

[Noob alert!] I assume that after applying z4root, rebooting my Samsung Galaxy I5700 and getting "su: not found" in Better Terminal Emulator root did fail ?

Sounds like it didn't - which is strange, since you'd think the galaxy T5700 would not be locked down. Might just be some incompatibility somewhere, but I don't have one of those to test with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Froyo is a bit of a pain to root! Well, this fixes that.

Credits

z4ziggy
    Sebastian Krahmer's rageagainstthecage

What this does

It is an app you install from the market or by side loading, that has a single button that will root your device.

How safe is this?

Should be 100% safe - nothing on disk is changed besides the root binaries, so if something goes wrong, simply rebooting the device should fix up any and all issues. Let me know if you find any bugs!

[size=+1]The new temporary root option works on 99% of available Android devices - no list yet of which specific devices are incompatible with the temporary root option - I am still trying to find out.[/size]

Here is the list so far of known compatible and incompatible devices for the permanent root option. I haven't actually tested these myself - I only have a Galaxy S device - but this list has been created by reports from users.

Compatible with [size=+2]PERMANENT[/size] root option

Samsung Galaxy S (All variants)
    Backflip
    Sony X10
    Xperia Mini
    Droid 2
    Galaxy Tab
    Galaxy I5700
    Galaxy 3 I5800
    Droid X
    Samsung Acclaim
    Cricket Huawei Ascend
    Motorola Cliq
    Huawei 8120
    Hero
    G1
    Optimus T
    Droid 1
    Garmin Asus A50
    Motorola Defy
    LG Ally
    Motorola Flipside
    Motorola Milestone 2
    Dell streak
    X10 Mini Pro
    Smartq v7 android 2.1

Incompatible with [size=+2]PERMANENT[/size] root option

Desire (requires nand unlock)
    Desire HD (requires nand unlock)
    Magic (unknown)
    Evo (requires nand unlock)
    G2 (requires nand unlock)
    Archos 70 (unknown)
    myTouch 3G (unknown)
    Wildfire
    Droid Incredible

z4rootscreenshot.png

Changelog

V1.0.0 : Initial Release
    V1.1.0 : Will now open the application settings page if USB debugging is not enabled.
    V1.2.0 : Unroot support, fix for devices with small max file size such as I5700, binaries in xbin rather than bin
    V1.2.1 : Back to /system/bin for support for some devices. Fix for QVGA devices.
    V1.2.2 : Adverts added (can be permanently disabled with menu option). Hopeful fix for devices such as Moment (Did not work).
    V1.3.0 : Force unroot option, temporary root option.

Market

This application is available directly from the market. Search for 'z4root'

Donations

If this app helps you out, you can donate here:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...=PP-DonationsBF:btn_donateCC_LG.gif:NonHosted
    if it works i expect it will be blocked with the next android update as usual
    will test on my girlfriends i5800 as soon as it´s back from service, its there for pin request issue...
    Thanks !!!
    This is great news !!!