I2_hisc wakelock?

Search This thread

magicbumm328

Dec 8, 2011
I have this wake lock that ate up almost and hour last night. I went to sleep with 56% battery woke up with 25%. My phone has never been good on battery life but I don't have a clue what this is. Searching return one result with no help. Anyone know what this wakelock is?

On tasks tomorrow with fluxi kernel if it matters

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

jthatch12

Mar 24, 2012
Florida
Hello. I'm commonly known as Google search. I've been known to help people from time to time, like that one time I searched for betterbatterystats. Yah. It was epic.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

He's asking a question on the Q/A forum, so instead of being an asshole, help the guy out or don't post anything

Last edited:

elherr

Jul 26, 2011
Isla de Malhado
I've not seen a whole lot said about what l2_hsic wake does, but it appears here in kernel tree. ;-)
android_kernel_samsung_smdk4210/drivers/misc/modem_if/modem_link_device_hsic.c

HSIC appears to be part of the hardware tying CPU to RIL (Radio Interface Layer) and other hardware. HSIC is 'High Speed Inter-Chip' and is a variation on USB. I'm assuming (and you know what that means :) ) that L2 stands for Layer 2. For seven layer OSI model please read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

HSIC:
http://www.synopsys.com/dw/dwtb.php?a=hsic_usb2_device

Reactions: Simba501

Nizda1

Nov 12, 2011
I had the same wakelock killing battery too. You don't need to learn the osi model to diagnose this :). What's happening is after reviewing the bbs stats somehow our or my phone is losing/regaining data connectivity at night. Now this could be atteibuted to many things, however after switching kernels and modems around I'm back to normal. Or simple fix just turn data off at night.

magicbumm328

Dec 8, 2011
Hello Google search it seems I used you to find an answer before I posted this question in the Q/A forum and it seems you sucked at returning me any result that answered my question so...thanks

magicbumm328

Dec 8, 2011
I had the same wakelock killing battery too. You don't need to learn the osi model to diagnose this :). What's happening is after reviewing the bbs stats somehow our or my phone is losing/regaining data connectivity at night. Now this could be atteibuted to many things, however after switching kernels and modems around I'm back to normal. Or simple fix just turn data off at night.

Thanks you this was helpful got what I was looking for I believe thanks again

diamondpillow

Nov 25, 2011
l2_hsic possible solution

hey guys,

I found out smth else this morning, maybe some others have already found out too. Nevertheless I will share with you first, before confirming my result

1. Go to settings
2. go to Wi-fi
3. press your menu button (lower left capacitive button)
4. press advanced (thats the only choice that pops up)
5. under "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" -> choose never
6. Restart your phone.

as before, it was kept as "always" and I am thinking it caused the l2_hsic issue that prevents my phone from sleeping.

As of now, after 30 mins, l2_hsic is only 2m awake. The change might be due to the reboot, I am not sure. I will report back in 2 days.

Previously, I reseted back to factory setting, it didnt appear before the first charge, so I shld see what happens after the first charge

I've also tried using juice defender to narrow down the app (disabling app for connectivity when slp), but it seems to me its not an app, but rather the settings, or the modem or router or possibly hardware issue

It shldnt be an app because i monitor my data usage, i didnt seem that there is an increasing data usage which suggest that with or without the wakelock the data usage is largely based on my own usage.

heres the link where I read further for layer 2 hsic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAN_switching

I can be completely off, if l2_hsic don't stands for layer 2 hsic. haha.

all the best ppl

elherr

Jul 26, 2011
Isla de Malhado
I don't believe HSIC is used for talking to WLAN interface. The I777 has a Broadcom BCM4330 Bluetooth and WLAN chip that appears to connect to CPU via MMC/SDIO.

From what I have read it appears that HSIC is used to talk to cell baseband via Radio Interface Layer (RIL), so you'd probably see more l2_hsic wakes when using cell data, NOT wifi.

diamondpillow

Nov 25, 2011
I don't believe HSIC is used for talking to WLAN interface. The I777 has a Broadcom BCM4330 Bluetooth and WLAN chip that appears to connect to CPU via MMC/SDIO.

From what I have read it appears that HSIC is used to talk to cell baseband via Radio Interface Layer (RIL), so you'd probably see more l2_hsic wakes when using cell data, NOT wifi.

I am not particularly sure too. But I know l2_hsic is awake when I am using tethering.

and so far after the first charge, everything seems fine, l2_hsic is only @ 1.1% compared to previously >80%

I read somewhere that changing the baseband will work and completely solve the issue.

anirudhgargi

Dec 3, 2010
Bangalore
HSIC is used for communcation from RIL to Modem not Wifi

I've not seen a whole lot said about what l2_hsic wake does, but it appears here in kernel tree. ;)

HSIC appears to be part of the hardware tying CPU to RIL (Radio Interface Layer) and other hardware. HSIC is 'High Speed Inter-Chip' and is a variation on USB. I'm assuming (and you know what that means :) ) that L2 stands for Layer 2. For seven layer OSI model please read this:

HSIC:

Yes, HSIC is an hardware along with its device driver used for Inter Processor Communication. Here other processor is the modem (Not the wifi chip that uses SPI 2.0/3.0/4.0 technology), this HSIC is an on-chip hardware, which works on standard usb 2.0 protocol ,in simple terms the outer 2 lines for power stripped off.

Main principle is Android RIL communicates with help of hsic driver to communicate to the CP (modem) chip. And vice-versa. Modem chip also has the same hsic at there side also.

That L2 does not stand for L2 of OSI layer. It stands for L2 power state in HSIC Link of USB , please refer USB power saving spec. There are 4 states (L0(active),L1,L2,L3) state of power saving in USB link also , hsic also uses the same convention.

Hit thanks if it was helpful.

Reactions: 2851 and elherr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello. I'm commonly known as Google search. I've been known to help people from time to time, like that one time I searched for betterbatterystats. Yah. It was epic.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

He's asking a question on the Q/A forum, so instead of being an asshole, help the guy out or don't post anything

HSIC is used for communcation from RIL to Modem not Wifi

I've not seen a whole lot said about what l2_hsic wake does, but it appears here in kernel tree. ;)

HSIC:

Yes, HSIC is an hardware along with its device driver used for Inter Processor Communication. Here other processor is the modem (Not the wifi chip that uses SPI 2.0/3.0/4.0 technology), this HSIC is an on-chip hardware, which works on standard usb 2.0 protocol ,in simple terms the outer 2 lines for power stripped off.

Main principle is Android RIL communicates with help of hsic driver to communicate to the CP (modem) chip. And vice-versa. Modem chip also has the same hsic at there side also.

That L2 does not stand for L2 of OSI layer. It stands for L2 power state in HSIC Link of USB , please refer USB power saving spec. There are 4 states (L0(active),L1,L2,L3) state of power saving in USB link also , hsic also uses the same convention.

Hit thanks if it was helpful.
    I've not seen a whole lot said about what l2_hsic wake does, but it appears here in kernel tree. ;-)

HSIC:
    l2_hsic possible solution

hey guys,

I found out smth else this morning, maybe some others have already found out too. Nevertheless I will share with you first, before confirming my result

1. Go to settings
    2. go to Wi-fi
    3. press your menu button (lower left capacitive button)
    4. press advanced (thats the only choice that pops up)
    5. under "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" -> choose never
    6. Restart your phone.

as before, it was kept as "always" and I am thinking it caused the l2_hsic issue that prevents my phone from sleeping.

As of now, after 30 mins, l2_hsic is only 2m awake. The change might be due to the reboot, I am not sure. I will report back in 2 days.

Previously, I reseted back to factory setting, it didnt appear before the first charge, so I shld see what happens after the first charge

I've also tried using juice defender to narrow down the app (disabling app for connectivity when slp), but it seems to me its not an app, but rather the settings, or the modem or router or possibly hardware issue

It shldnt be an app because i monitor my data usage, i didnt seem that there is an increasing data usage which suggest that with or without the wakelock the data usage is largely based on my own usage.

heres the link where I read further for layer 2 hsic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAN_switching

I can be completely off, if l2_hsic don't stands for layer 2 hsic. haha.

all the best ppl