ICS 4.0 Sources Out - All discussions here!

Search This thread

neovdr

Jun 28, 2011
I tend to strongly disagree with this. My example is the linux kernel. Linus Torvalds invented it and let people use it as they like. Hence now we have Android and all the other great distributions. I can go on like this forever with the scientific discoveries and theories. They are also inventions and other people are completely free to use them practically or do whatever they want with them.
You claim scientists will stop inventing things if there were no patents and this is clearly not the case. They way you describe it scientists invent new technologies and hardware with the thought "Oh, I will so patent this thing that people won't be able to use it for free!". Again - this simply is not the case. There has been inventions even before the current strict state of the patent system, can you imagine that?!?
I see the patents as a way for corporations to cripple competitors, to deny them the opportunity to use an invention as a base for an even better invention. Imagine if someone had patented the automobile and has decided it's just gonna stay this way and if someone else want to make a similar machine, he has to pay the inventor like $5000 per vehicle. Would we now have the quality of the new cars?

Actually without MINIX Linus wouldn't have "invented" anything...

LarsPT

Nov 16, 2009
On The Run
I tend to strongly disagree with this. My example is the linux kernel. Linus Torvalds invented it and let people use it as they like. Hence now we have Android and all the other great distributions. I can go on like this forever with the scientific discoveries and theories. They are also inventions and other people are completely free to use them practically or do whatever they want with them.
You claim scientists will stop inventing things if there were no patents and this is clearly not the case. They way you describe it scientists invent new technologies and hardware with the thought "Oh, I will so patent this thing that people won't be able to use it for free!". Again - this simply is not the case. There has been inventions even before the current strict state of the patent system, can you imagine that?!?
I see the patents as a way for corporations to cripple competitors, to deny them the opportunity to use an invention as a base for an even better invention. Imagine if someone had patented the automobile and has decided it's just gonna stay this way and if someone else want to make a similar machine, he has to pay the inventor like $5000 per vehicle. Would we now have the quality of the new cars?
My friend, you should see this movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1054588/
You might want to reconsider about what you said.

henkspank

Feb 27, 2012
what if LG was planning on releasing ics this week but they are now building Jelly bean and we have to wait till next year haha

if it comes out within a week I will buy someone an icecream sandwich :p

ime95mos

Aug 14, 2009
My O2X will be in bits and pieces on monday if there's no ICS. I promised to run it over with the car (I'll try to arrange a video for you guys!)

Only a Idiot with a Ego-Problem buy a Iphone. All intelligent People have a Android.

Now, i can wait for ICS when LG fix the USSD-Bug. I heared many Rom for P990 include this Bug. With Bitdefender USSD Wipe Stopper you can test and stop this crap Problem

Zlatan_61

Sep 22, 2011

I agree with Lars, patents are... I wont say good, but neccessary. First of all, you cant just patnent anything, so you can't patent theories or scientific discoveries or a whole car. There are limits to what can be patented.

The key is for the patent offices to be consistent and be rational in which patents they approve. Some of apple's patetnts (especially software patnetns) are ridiculus and have only been awarded in the US, but not inEurope, where the conditions are a bit stricter.

And it is not about iindividual scientists whether they wil continue to explore or not. Of course they will (and as I said, you cant patent scientific discoveries or theories) it's about who will invest in the research, especially when it comes to comemrcial products.

Imagine this: a new dru, modern drug for some illness costs around 1 billion dollars or more and 8-10 years to develop. All the money goes into researchm clinical trials, etc. Once you have the product, its very easy and cheap to copy it. Who would invest a billion dollars knowing that they will be copied by a competitor who had no expenses and who will sell the drug for 1/10 of the price? Noone. While you would have cheaper drugs you would have worse drugs, i.e you would have no innovation.

Reactions: LarsPT and orgler

sturmtruppler

Sep 10, 2012
My O2X will be in bits and pieces on monday if there's no ICS. I promised to run it over with the car (I'll try to arrange a video for you guys!)

My brother did that with his Samsung, but not with a car, he used his John Deer truck. And he was surprised: the phone only had a scratch on the back! Display is still ok and the phone works like nothing happend.
So don't be disapointed if nothing happens... ;)

Sent from my Optimus 2X using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: LarsPT

Regash

Aug 8, 2012
so guys we never get ics for our device... LG is a piece of ****, the Sony announced the ics update for the xperia u to release end of the q3 and today released it, the LG announced the ics for the o2x to release end of the q3 and we haven't got any info but i think we cannot get it because today it is friday and the weekend doesn't roll out, and monday it is the q4 so we ****ed up and screw you LG

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got a free wifi pass at my hotel so I thought let's do a quick read through xda.
    I read the 30 new pages in this thread as well, do you think I need psychological help? :D

Anyways, as someone else (mustangtim) wrote about it in the G2x section I can finally write it without some stupid hints here as well:
    Ricardo has a fully working P990 CM10 version (yes, with hwa). He got an earlier su660 ics dev leak directly from LG, even before leaks were on their server.
    The leak was a little different though, he was able to boot with the kernel.
    Long story short: jb runs great. He can't release it as he can't damage his good relationship to LG, I think you can understand that - so don't bug him about it.
    I'm just writing this to answer the people who have doubts.
    We will get cm10 as soon as the su660 kernel source drops. And it does run great on our hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    Hello everyone.

I have seen the tweets from LG Canada posted here and since then those tweets have propagated through out other web outlets but I think way too much has been made of the LG Canada ICS update statement. The OP either did not understand the context of the statement or just had a "I'm the first to get an official answer from someone at LG" moment and got a little excited posting the info. So I thought I would give some insight into the statement so people, particularly worldwide, can understand what is going on and why that statement came from LG Canada.

In Canada phones are sold through carriers. There are no companies that sell unbranded phones, well there are small shops that import phones but their sales are so small that they are not worth noting and they are almost considered grey market as they will not support the phones officially. Since there are no unbranded phones in Canada the carriers control the availability of a phone model which also means they control the updates to their branded model. If the carriers are not interested in supporting the phone it does not get any support period. There are Galaxy Nexus owners still on 4.0.1 when using carrier updates!

Now specifically to the Optimus 2x in Canada. The phone was not that popular and was really only picked up by carriers to use the "first dual core phone" LG marketing hype to make them look like they are cutting edge. From what I remember the phone was only picked up by three carriers. Two AWS carriers (which are small players) Mobilcity and Wind, and one major carrier Rogers which put it under their "budget" sub-brand Fido. Mobilicity dropped the phone quite awhile back so they are out of the picture. Wind has recently EOL the phone and they did not even bother with the GB update so they are out. That leaves Fido.

Fido did get the GB update but never shipped the devices with the GB update. I got my 2x in March and it still had Froyo on it. My guess is Fido had not reordered stock from LG since after the GB update so that is quite awhile ago. The only way to get the upgrade is if the customer does it themselves via LG tools. This should give you an indication of how many they are selling and how well they support the device. :rolleyes: While Fido still offers the 2x they recently dropped the price which usually means they are trying to get rid of their stock before they discontinue the device so they are 2/3 out. Carriers are not interested in spending time/money updating devices they are either not selling or about to stop selling. They want to sell new phones hopefully with new/renewed plans. Updating a phone could cost them a sale. This is not LG's behavior but the carriers.

When a phone is banded by a carrier usually the carrier sends the specs (boot animations, artwork, network configs, apps to included, etc.) to LG and LG preps a ROM build which is put on the phone at shipping for the carrier. Since all the phones in Canada are branded and none of the carriers are requesting an update LG Canada does not need to consult LG HQ about the standing of ICS for the 2x. My feeling is When the LG rep on Twitter was asked the question they looked up the status of the 2x with the carriers. The status probably mentioned that there is "no future orders" and no request for ROM updates. That made it safe for the LG Canada rep to say on Twitter that there will be no ICS updates for the Canadian 2x. The rep did not contact LG HQ about the ICS update. Basically the LG Canada's statement is not based on technical reasoning but market reasoning.

What these means for us Canadians is that we are out of luck for an official carrier branded ICS update. We can now add carriers to the nVidia / LG list of people to ***** about for the lack of an ICS update. Our only option is to go with an unofficial ROM but quite frankly the carrier ROMs suck. The ROMs created by the XDA community are far superior and I would have gone with an unofficial ICS build anyways. From what I understand as long as one country gets an ICS build the drives can be used to build general ROMs that Canadians can use. From observation the 2x is still popular in other areas. I think if there is an update the first will probably be Korea. I would say look there for more accurate information.

TL;DR version:

1. LG Canada does not control updates in Canada, the carriers do.

2. The carriers have either dropped or are in the process of dropping the 2x thus the carriers are not interested in updates.

3. LG Canada was able to safely give an official statement about the 2x Canada at this time based the carriers not wanting an update, not based on technical information from LG HQ.

4. LG Canada statement should not be viewed as an early indicator of LG's general position on the ICS update for the 2x. This is not a leak.

I hope that explains the situation better and how to read the meaning behind the LG Canada tweets. For people who have been using the LG Canada statement as "ZOMG this is the beginning of the end, EVERYONE PANIC!!! LG SUCKS!" fodder, and that includes you tech bloggers reading this, please stop and understand the situation. LG may still not deliver an ICS update but this is not the sign that it is not coming. Look else where.

Also people stop assaulting the LG Canada feed with questions about your country or LG world wide. I know that LG Canada seems to be the only one responding to questions but LG Canada can only speak for the situation in Canada which as outlined is somewhat unique. Bug your own country LG reps as that might yield more interesting information for everyone.

I will also mention that I think people are being really impatient with LG. Many companies are still in the process of updating their own devices from the same generation to ICS and last I heard only around 10% of devices have ICS or JB. I agree people should be pissed with LG because of LG's failure to live up to their promises (which BTW if they don't deliver could be grounds for a class action suit) but LG is not unique in anyway with their lateness of ICS updates. If anything I think LG trying to be the first one with a dual core, LG likes to be the first at things to keep up appearance i.e. dual core, 3D, LTE, etc., and in that rush probably either pressured nVidia to pump out a rushed chipset or nVidia offered them a first gen chipset to beat everyone. As such to make the commitment technical details probably were not completely sorted out thus we have a unpopular first gen chipset that most manufactures skipped over and nVidia doesn't want to waste much time on.

That being said I do believe that an ICS update will eventually come from LG but this is my last LG device.

Good first post ? ;)
    Once RC releases the initial cm10 in the github for p990, I would suggest all kangers/rom devs don't just use RCs stuffs before RC even releases cm10 officially for p990.

Don't repeat same mistake as per p970.

I don't represent all but this is my personal opinion.
    ICS Camera HAL for P990/SU660

this is a ICS camera HAL for P990/SU660.

based on Raviprasad V Mummidi for Qcom camera
    https://github.com/rapmv78/android_hardware_qcom_camerahal

tested on the SU660 (Optimus 2X model in Korea)

Please see also:
    - [Dev] ICS Camera Driver Development by zivan56 @ xda: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1379368
    - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20281617&postcount=17
    - https://github.com/Andromadus/android_hardware_qcom_camera

----
    It is needed to revert "MemoryHeapBase: Save and binderize the offset"
    commit f24c4cd0f204068a17f61f1c195ccf140c6c1d67
    It break binary compatibility of libbinder.so with CM7/GB.

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/f24c4cd0f204068a17f61f1c195ccf140c6c1d67

and some simple wrapper functions are needed (please see libui.patch included in the attached tarball)
    like as
    Code:
    extern "C" status_t _ZN7android7Overlay13dequeueBufferEPPv(void* buffer)
    {
        return NO_ERROR;
    }

camcoder(video encoding) does not work now :)
    I'm surprised there isn't a port of LG's SU660 ics stock rom.

There are, Kostja_V's and Harsh's rebuilds.

I got some time over the weekend.
    If arcee won't release CM10 I will play around with the Stock ROM.
    I already repacked (read: decluttered) the ROM to fit it into the stock system partition, I'd only need to compile a new kernel which uses the old bootloader and have to check the partition stuff.
    If it works as expected you won't have to use nvflash to change the partition layout anymore - a simple CM10 flash would be enough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app