Review of UAG Note 2 Case with lots of pictures!

Search This thread

eddie3130

Sep 12, 2009
Could someone that has this case an also the commuter case please compare the lips size. By that i mean how deep the screen is recessed in the case.

sent from my Cricket Note 2

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Could someone that has this case an also the commuter case please compare the lips size. By that i mean how deep the screen is recessed in the case.

Looks almost the same.

UAG:

uag-n2-30_zps066eeab7.jpg

Commuter:

commuter-n2-3_zpsefd05609.jpg

eddie3130

Sep 12, 2009
Thank you very much sir. I believe i will jump on this case cus i think the cover flaps from the commuter is putting pressure on my charge port an headphone jack.. Might just be over thinking this but it would give me piece at mind when charging my phone. Plus the commuters slippery an honestly a bit of a Ugo compared to the Uag.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Thank you very much sir. I believe i will jump on this case cus i think the cover flaps from the commuter is putting pressure on my charge port an headphone jack.. Might just be over thinking this but it would give me piece at mind when charging my phone. Plus the commuters slippery an honestly a bit of a Ugo compared to the Uag.

I agree, micro-usb port cover flap on Commuter is thick and puts pressure on the connector. I don't own Commuter, the one in a picture I tested in Sprint store. I did have Defender (similar port cover), and it was rough on a connector since I use my GN2 in a car as GPS every day connected to a charger. Of course, you can also cut it out. Slippery back and generic look was also a no-go for me.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Here is IMHO a must have MOD with CONVERT holster :) This is adhesive credit card pouch (3 pack for $5.99 from Amazon. Although designed for iPhone size, it fits perfectly inside of the holster, sticks very well even so it's not a flat but rather textured grid surface. Material is stretchy and soft, and easily holds 3 cards and a few bills. When phone is in, it doesn't even touch the screen, and even if it does - material is very soft. So now, you have your phone in a holster and no need for a wallet if you throw in your driver license, credit and atm card, and some money!

This is how it looks with UAG case:

holster_pocket_general-1_zps027ee1b5.jpg

holster_pocket_general-2_zps0292409b.jpg

holster_pocket_general-3_zps1f6890ea.jpg

holster_pocket_general-4_zps60ceee74.jpg

holster_pocket_general-5_zpsabdb1c50.jpg

uag_holster_pocket-1_zpsb083928f.jpg

uag_holster_pocket-2_zps85be27f6.jpg

uag_holster_pocket-3_zps3b1c1e22.jpg

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
@vectron - bro, that's a solid setup!

Once it gets warmer, I'm actually considering clipping this holster on my belt or maybe just hanging off my front pocket. I never thought I would actually carry my Note 2 on a belt lol!!! I remember when I tried Defender, it really felt like a laptop on your belt. I might even try something like a lanyard around the belt clip to carry it around my neck. I think the combination of exposed back of UAG case and cutout shape of this holster makes it kind of cool. The adhesive pouch with id/cc/money is just another bonus to leave a wallet at home and just carry everything in one bunch, especially when you don't have pockets with mesh sport shorts...

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
Once it gets warmer, I'm actually considering clipping this holster on my belt or maybe just hanging off my front pocket. I never thought I would actually carry my Note 2 on a belt lol!!! I remember when I tried Defender, it really felt like a laptop on your belt. I might even try something like a lanyard around the belt clip to carry it around my neck. I think the combination of exposed back of UAG case and cutout shape of this holster makes it kind of cool. The adhesive pouch with id/cc/money is just another bonus to leave a wallet at home and just carry everything in one bunch, especially when you don't have pockets with mesh sport shorts...

Yeah, that's true - the Note 2 is big but worth it - that's also why I have an 18.4" laptop :D. However, wearing it around the neck? That would look very interesting, haha. My Case-Mate Tough that came in was not completely done right so I asked them to just send me the standard (grippy) black/black version - they did without any charge (great customer service). I actually like it a lot better than my custom ones. I currently have that and am sporting a TGT money wallet (currently holding two credit cards and my license. It's really convenient. It's actually the same size as the the card adhesives and holds my stuff really well. I can carry around my phone without the weird feeling of a pouch on the back now, so it's pretty nice. My favorite cases right now are the UAG, Case-Mate Tough (original), and my Duzign cases (though they don't offer the best protection, they are the best feeling/looking out of the slim cases I own/have seen- plus they fit perfectly without damaging my phone).

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Yeah, that's true - the Note 2 is big but worth it - that's also why I have an 18.4" laptop :D. However, wearing it around the neck? That would look very interesting, haha. My Case-Mate Tough that came in was not completely done right so I asked them to just send me the standard (grippy) black/black version - they did without any charge (great customer service). I actually like it a lot better than my custom ones. I currently have that and am sporting a TGT money wallet (currently holding two credit cards and my license. It's really convenient. It's actually the same size as the the card adhesives and holds my stuff really well. I can carry around my phone without the weird feeling of a pouch on the back now, so it's pretty nice. My favorite cases right now are the UAG, Case-Mate Tough (original), and my Duzign cases (though they don't offer the best protection, they are the best feeling/looking out of the slim cases I own/have seen- plus they fit perfectly without damaging my phone).

Been using Brookstone ultra-thin card wallet http://www.brookstone.com/ultra-thin-card-wallet for a few years now and LOVE IT!!! On a back it also has a mesh see-through pocket for driver license. Highly recommend, plus in store it's under $20.

Optimistic Pessimist

Mar 22, 2013
Sydney
Measurement of case, i.e. width, etc

Port openings are very generous; mic openings big enough for a clear sound, micro-usb opening is wide enough to accommodate after market connectors, headphone jack should accept a connector up to 3/8".

Thanks for the review, very informative.

Was wondering, if you could provide a measurement of the width/height of the actual case.
The reason I ask is that I am currently using a RAM mount X-grip universal mount and my N7105 with a cheap TPU case (which has a width of 8.5cm or 3.346inches) fits in it quite well, despite supposedly accepting a max of 3.25inches.
I've tried the UAG website, but that provides next to no information at all, as well as search of the threads here on XDA, and got nothing.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Got digital caliper at home for a more precise measurement (sh!t, I even got a digital scale just for these damn case review lol!!!). At work now and here are the approximate measurement (only have access to metric ruler) across faceplate for the widest part of the bumper: 158 mm x 87mm so that's about 6.2" x 3.4"

Optimistic Pessimist

Mar 22, 2013
Sydney
158 mm x 87mm so that's about 6.2" x 3.4"

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

It should just fit in the X-grip mount.

I presume that the other cases that you have, particularly the Case Mate Tough, is somewhat smaller in size to the UAG.

Been thinking about grabbing the Navigator, to go with my Titanium grey N7105.
I guess if I don't like it that much, I could always mod it with some carbon fiber vinyl.

Last edited:

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

It should just fit in the X-grip mount.

I presume that the other cases that you have, particularly the Case Mate Tough, is somewhat smaller in size to the UAG.

Been thinking about grabbing the Navigator, to go with my Titanium grey N7105.
I guess if I don't like it that much, I could always mod it with some carbon fiber vinyl.

Correct, Case-mate Tough is slimmer and overall smaller in dimensions.

UAG will not be easy to mod with CF stick-on vinyl on top of the case because of the grill cutout and those 4 torx stand-offs. But you can certainly make CF insert to show through the grill. Someone else posted a picture of it and it looked pretty cool with 3D texture through the grill.

... actually just ordered 4"x8" black carbon fiber 3D vinyl adhesive piece, was only $0.99 on ebay shipped within US :) Once I get it, will post a picture how it looks with my white UAG Navigator case.

Last edited:

Optimistic Pessimist

Mar 22, 2013
Sydney
UAG will not be easy to mod with CF stick-on vinyl on top of the case because of the grill cutout and those 4 torx stand-offs.

Very true, won't be easy with all those, but a bit of patience and some skill with an X-acto blade, I might just be able to pull it off. Or end up cutting the case to shreds :laugh: .
I've even wrapped one of the battery covers for my Note 2, which turned out pretty good.

... actually just ordered 4"x8" black carbon fiber 3D vinyl adhesive piece, was only $0.99 on ebay shipped within US :) Once I get it, will post a picture how it looks with my white UAG Navigator case.

Nice, can't wait to see.

Last edited:

IsolatedAbyss

Jan 9, 2013
Correct, Case-mate Tough is slimmer and overall smaller in dimensions.

UAG will not be easy to mod with CF stick-on vinyl on top of the case because of the grill cutout and those 4 torx stand-offs. But you can certainly make CF insert to show through the grill. Someone else posted a picture of it and it looked pretty cool with 3D texture through the grill.

Can you share a link to the carbon fiber?

w4rmk

Jul 8, 2003
Thanks for the recommendations on this UAG case. I just ordered the black version from Amazon for $25 with free prime shipping. Looks like a great way to protect the Note 2 without adding a lot of bulk.

planetbeen

Oct 13, 2011
Virginia Beach
I too have just ordered the black version from Amazon based mostly on this review. Thank you very much for the detailed description and photos as well as the info about using the convert holster. I plan to buy that as well when I feel like spending the 29.95 for the add-on kit (seems to be the cheapest way to get the convert holster)

Just a couple of days ago I went to best buy and got the blue and black surface cases with the intention of using those and buying the convert add on kit. It wasn't until I put the blue one on yesterday that I realized that I'd have to remove my FlyGrip if I ever needed to remove the case/access the sd card/battery.

DUH! It's not like I didn't know how the case went together! I just didn't put 2 and 2 together until I had it on my phone. I was bummed because the holster with the surface case is AWESOME! It actually fits my phone with it's current flip cover/tpu mod but I wanted more protection.

I can't wait to try out the UAG with my flip cover!

A couple of questions, has anyone tried the UAG with a FlyGrip yet? Any pics? I don't see why it wouldn't work but who knows...
Second question, has anyone actually cut *eeek!* the UAG to use it with the flip cover? (making it possible to fold the cover back) Any Pics?

Thanks again for the detailed reviews!

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
I thought exactly the same about FlyGrip and UAG case, in addition to CONVERT holster and adhesive card pouch that would have been an ultimate solution. But I think you might want to go with Bunker Ring for that or a copy of that bunker ring. Look into my signature link for FlyGrip review and also scroll through "almost real" thread review to see pics of that bunker ring copy. It uses reusable gel adhesion pad which sticks very strongly to my UAG case. It's not as elegant as FlyGrip, but it also non-permanent and has a bigger surface for attachment when in contact with grilled cutout of UAG back. With FlyGrip the footprint is not that big. In theory, you will need to place it in lower half of the phone anyway so half of it will go over UAG logo (a shame to cover it lol!!!) and half will be stuck over the grill cutout.

Regarding flip case mod, I will never cut my UAG case lol!!! It would be a sin :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know we already have a huge thread about UAG, but those are 65+ pages of people waiting/speculating/complaining and maybe 3-4 good reviews with pictures. So, I figured maybe to start an official review thread for UAG Note 2 case http://www.urbanarmorgear.com/collections/galaxy-note-ii

Since I don't own iPhone or S3, my experience with previous UAG cases was based on reading only reviews from others, and it seems those cases were quite popular with a huge fan base. Note 2 case introduced a new design, and that generated a mixed reviews. I'm personally looking at the case as is without comparing it to previous models.

The case came in a nice packaging box, nothing too fancy but with a clear display and highlights of the features. In addition to the case, UAG included a screen protector, a small screen cloth and a squeeze for sp installation. I can't comment on sp since I already have one installed, but I have a feeling its a basic one. I can comment it had a good cut, although didn't feel as thick as some other 3H film screen protectors.
    Also, as part of new "vent" design, it came with 2 inserts in orange and black. Those are interchangeable and you can use either one. There has been a lot of discussion about quality of material used on these inserts and perhaps some people had higher expectations. These inserts are cardboard cut outs with diamond textured design and some thin laminating layer on color side. Each insert is colored on one side, while white on another side. In theory you can make your own inserts. Those have two side cut outs that align with guiding small pins inside of the case. Once you put down the insert, you better keep the case horizontal while inserting the phone, otherwise the insert will move. When phone is inserted into the case - inserts stay dead on, although if you shake the phone you will hear it move a little bit. Don't get me wrong, it looks cool as hell, and could be easily fixed with a little piece of scotch tape holding it down. The vent itself should keep air circulating which is a good idea while charging the battery.

The case is VERY light - amazing considering the high level of protection it offers at a minimum added bulk. Of course, just like any case it adds some bulk, but when you compare to other case with equivalent level of protection - this is feather-light! The construction is composite where inner protection bumper and outer shell are molded together. Yes, I would consider the inner rubber (hard TPU material) to be a bumper since it doesn't wrap around the back of the phone. The outer shell made of a very high quality impact plastic material, definitely not some cheap brittle stuff. The inner side of the plastic shell has honeycomb pattern, while the outer side is smooth and has sort of sandblasted finish. I do have to note, plastic does feel a little slippery in your hands. I have heard this will go away with time, but I still have to point it out. But since they have vent cut out in the back and also hard rubber bumper around the edges of the screen, you still get an acceptable grip when holding it in your hand. The rubber bumper doesn't pull away and fits around the edge of the phone very snugly. The only place where it pulls a little bit is at the bottom in the aread of micro-usb connector, but very slightly. It also offers a very nice lip to protect the screen of the phone when faced down, and a VERY good corner protection with some extra material while still keeping it slim and not exaggerated around corners like some other designs do. Furthermore, the back of the phone has 4 subtle stands in a shape of a torx screw head. Those are of course not real screws but rather rubber bumps, but functionally it's brilliant since you can put your phone down on the back and it will keep it from sliding!!! This little design detail is so subtle yet brilliantly functional and adds to "urban" style of the phone.

Port openings are very generous; mic openings big enough for a clear sound, micro-usb opening is wide enough to accommodate after market connectors, headphone jack should accept a connector up to 3/8". S-pen opening deserves a special mentioning. It's not your typical rectangular opening, and narrows down while still giving enough room for a nail to grab the edge of s-pen when pulling it out. Just a very nice detail. Speaker grill has a cross line which makes speaker design with a battery cover of the phone to look partitioned and cool next to the grill design. Camera and led flash openings are partitioned - a very clever idea for glare-free flash photos! Volume and power buttons have a very unique design to make them look like a separate external buttons. These buttons have a separate slit opening along one side to make them push easier. I very clever idea! I have documented all these details in my pictures.

Another comment I would like to bring up is the color of the case itself. Since I choose Navigator to compliment my white GN2, I want to mention that white of the case is a few shades brighter than white of the phone - not a big issue since those two colors don't come in contact. I do want to mention also, there is a little flex when you push down on the vents. I assume that was always part of the design even with solid back on iPhone/S3 cases. With vents cut outs, it's more visible now. I would say it could be looked as positive and negative point. Positive since it absorbs some shock if case falls down flat on its back, and negative since you are opening back door to lint and dust getting under the vent.

Overall, its a very unique design that offers both a visual eye candy and a decent level of protection to the phone. I tried to be fair in my review and describe all the positive and negative points I found, IMHO. But in my personal opinion - I highly recommend it!

As usual, I will leave the rest to the pictures. Please keep in mind due to case being white, my camera had a hard time focusing.

I'm sure some will share my opinion, others might disagree or want to add comments. If you can, please don't reply with all the pictures in the post to duplicate it.

uag-n2-01_zpsc31a457e.jpg

uag-n2-02_zpsdad7663a.jpg

uag-n2-03_zpsfcef2796.jpg

uag-n2-04_zps1b62f50e.jpg

uag-n2-05_zpsc54ed143.jpg

uag-n2-06_zpsd5cb2a28.jpg

uag-n2-07_zps424c547d.jpg

uag-n2-08_zps2c071e2b.jpg

uag-n2-09_zpscfdc56c5.jpg

uag-n2-10_zps5f97ecc9.jpg

uag-n2-11_zps456f0efc.jpg

uag-n2-12_zpsb284ea8d.jpg

uag-n2-13_zpsd310d2e0.jpg

uag-n2-15_zps5e23780c.jpg

uag-n2-16_zps6a0af4e0.jpg

uag-n2-17_zps4464d007.jpg

uag-n2-18_zps383221bc.jpg

uag-n2-19_zpsc323db2b.jpg

uag-n2-20_zpsbfee7fa3.jpg

uag-n2-21_zpsc9c0e9e0.jpg

uag-n2-22_zpscd49fae1.jpg

uag-n2-23_zpsd70946ac.jpg

uag-n2-24_zps40af0b7b.jpg

uag-n2-25_zps8dd4bf2f.jpg

uag-n2-26_zps00cd3745.jpg

uag-n2-27_zps8ce26f66.jpg

uag-n2-28_zps3c6b1a66.jpg

uag-n2-29_zpsf0fc296e.jpg

uag-n2-30_zps066eeab7.jpg

uag-n2-31_zps3b919d3c.jpg
    I guess you can consider this as the first mod. Actually someone else done it before, but I'm elaborating on details with more pictures!

Yes, you can have GN2 in OEM Flip case going right into UAG case and it works! Of course, there are some limitations. You can flip the cover all the way around, unless you modify UAG case by cutting it's side (which nobody in their right mind going to do). And, because the left side is covered by flip case, UAG volume buttons will not be pushing directly on phone's volume, which makes it a lot harder to work BUT it WORKS!!! So here you go, an alternative to add flip cover to your UAG case:

uag-n2-flip-1_zps40270258.jpg

uag-n2-flip-2_zpse88f0208.jpg

uag-n2-flip-3_zpsec9ec30c.jpg

uag-n2-flip-4_zps932a6505.jpg

uag-n2-flip-5_zps1a62b630.jpg

uag-n2-flip-6_zpsb1ed0f4f.jpg
    Here is IMHO a must have MOD with CONVERT holster :) This is adhesive credit card pouch (3 pack for $5.99 from Amazon. Although designed for iPhone size, it fits perfectly inside of the holster, sticks very well even so it's not a flat but rather textured grid surface. Material is stretchy and soft, and easily holds 3 cards and a few bills. When phone is in, it doesn't even touch the screen, and even if it does - material is very soft. So now, you have your phone in a holster and no need for a wallet if you throw in your driver license, credit and atm card, and some money!

This is how it looks with UAG case:

holster_pocket_general-1_zps027ee1b5.jpg

holster_pocket_general-2_zps0292409b.jpg

holster_pocket_general-3_zps1f6890ea.jpg

holster_pocket_general-4_zps60ceee74.jpg

holster_pocket_general-5_zpsabdb1c50.jpg

uag_holster_pocket-1_zpsb083928f.jpg

uag_holster_pocket-2_zps85be27f6.jpg

uag_holster_pocket-3_zps3b1c1e22.jpg
    Good idea and nice pics...I'd like to add my review from yesterday here so if it helps anyone good stuff.. I'd like to add day 2 and the feel is better IMO less slippery and fit seems to have settled in nicely..Keeper ..

What up peeps..Just wanted to give a small overview of the case I received today. I will test drive it for a few days(week) and let y'all know how it flows for me..Haha

Excuse my noobness to the video making world..

Part 1: Case without phone..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfwqpcw278kob47/UAG_reviewPart1.mp4

Part 2: Case with phone...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yf62xa2oimqstb8/UAG_reviewPart2.mp4
    Still trying to decide between Navigator (white) and Scout (black) for my white Note 2. Since my OP has pics with Navigator, I'm adding a new set of pics with Scout. Maybe some will find it useful for their own comparison.

uag_blk_note2-01_zps28e96bc5.jpg

uag_blk_note2-02_zps6a9af868.jpg

uag_blk_note2-03_zps28ce44bc.jpg

uag_blk_note2-05_zps4df10be1.jpg

uag_blk_note2-06_zps8a7672de.jpg

uag_blk_note2-07_zps6c5c6a29.jpg

uag_blk_note2-08_zps23df99ce.jpg

uag_blk_note2-09_zpsc470b024.jpg

uag_blk_note2-10_zps4b1fad81.jpg

uag_blk_note2-11_zps221982fa.jpg

uag_blk_note2-12_zps9bfb02c8.jpg

uag_blk_note2-13_zpsa8affc2f.jpg