Screen Flicker - Response from HTC

Search This thread

jsmith_00

Jul 17, 2008
I have had my One X since last week on O2, I have noticed the screen flicker on full brightness. So I decided to contact HTC about this and they told me that there must be a problem with my device and to send it back to O2 and get a new one.

If that true then the new 1.28 OTA will not fix the problems that we myte have and it’s a hardware fault 

fletchem

Apr 13, 2012
What do you class as a flicker? I notice my screen dimming and brightening fairly regularly under artificial light. Is your flickering more regularly?

Frozen-GPU

Jul 6, 2008
You are right. Go and return it for a new one... HTC told me the same!

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA

PaulBelfast

Apr 10, 2012
I'm the same.

Had an undranded One X from phones for you with terrible screen flicker.

I phoned HTC and they said it was def not normal or something that could be fixed with a software update.

I'm just back from exchanging it for a new one and this one is flicker free.

zerozoneice

Dec 18, 2010
seems there are different types of screen flickers...

i experienced once something like a bad analog tv reception on a very small rectangular portion in the upper left corner when using the browser. you couldn't figure out what was "underneath" it.

it disappeared the same way it appeared...out of the blue

Vasily87

Apr 13, 2012
Hi, guys. What do you mean by screen flicker? Im finding that with mine on full brightness it appears as if the backlight part is flickering. Is this what you guys have had? thanks

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
I have had my One X since last week on O2, I have noticed the screen flicker on full brightness. So I decided to contact HTC about this and they told me that there must be a problem with my device and to send it back to O2 and get a new one.

If that true then the new 1.28 OTA will not fix the problems that we myte have and it’s a hardware fault 
When you say screen flicker is this happening all the time? I mean are you talking on the home screen and in apps or just when things are loading etc...?

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
seems there are different types of screen flickers...

i experienced once something like a bad analog tv reception on a very small rectangular portion in the upper left corner when using the browser. you couldn't figure out what was "underneath" it.

it disappeared the same way it appeared...out of the blue

this is not a flicker this one is the browser glitch

silly game HTC is making us play really....more n more i realize i was stupid not to keep the grey that was running perfectly

Last edited:

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
I just can't see how it can be hardware...

Mine is flickering at times too.It seems like just about every device that is out there is doing it. I still think its software based, and probably a setting to do with the LCD display. If its hardware then HTC are going to run out of phones...

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
Thinking back to when my MacBook had a flickering problem a few years back and when I remember a Dell laptop at work having had an issue before too; I am sure Apple/Dell simply released firmware updates to fix the problem as it was an update that had caused the problem.

Surely something similar can/will be done with the HTC? Maybe its not happening on all devices and is inconsistant so HTC are telling people to DOA there devices whilst they work on a fix for it (maybe OTA)?

I just find it hard to believe that I have had 2x devices now and both have suffered different issues that it could always be the hardware. It would have to be seriously bad luck for 2x phones to come with issues down to the hardware; usually when this many people are having problems its a software issue over hardware (isn't it?).

I mean mine is flickering slightly on certain screens or during certain actions, I don't want to DOA a second device just to get this problem again as I really do love the phone. If the flickering can/will be fixed then I am happy to wait for that, but as mentioned before at this rate everyone with be DOA'ing devices just for the sake of it as different devices just seem to have the same and/or similar issues.

Last edited:

joplayer

Aug 1, 2008
Valence
I have this problem. What is weird is that if I charge the phone fully the problem disappears until discharge at reaching like 80% where it starts to appear again and gets worst over discharge. I'd like to know if I'm alone. If not there are chances an OTA can solve it as it would be some kind of bad power management of the screen. And we all know our power management has some troubles

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
I have this problem. What is weird is that if I charge the phone fully the problem disappears until discharge at reaching like 80% where it starts to appear again and gets worst over discharge. I'd like to know if I'm alone. If not there are chances an OTA can solve it as it would be some kind of bad power management of the screen. And we all know our power management has some troubles

Well I didn't notice it at all today, but I have noticed it when my device got to around 68% battery. Although it could of triggered before but I might not have been on the device. Whilst I was using it from 100% down to 86% everything was running perfectly fine with no flicker at all.

Could it be an app/widget in the background that is causing it? Then again probably not as we would all of had to install that same app/widget so ignore me there (thinking out loud).

PaulBelfast

Apr 10, 2012
It seems a lot of the initial launch day stock have the flicker.

I got mine on the 5th from Phones4U and my phone and some others sold that day have been returned to the same store.

The one I got today is totally flicker free on all colours. The screen seems totally different. It's not as blindingly bright as my original one but of a much better quality.

It may be software related but this would suggest otherwise.

joplayer

Aug 1, 2008
Valence
If the thoery of it appearing while battery is going down it could just be some underpowering of the screen. That sounds logical and solvable via OTA.
I don't think any app could do that

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
If the thoery of it appearing while battery is going down it could just be some underpowering of the screen. That sounds logical and solvable via OTA.
I don't think any app could do that

Yeah it does... As I said thinking back to Macbook/Laptop and the flicker (which had LCD screens) they were sorted via a firmware upgrade as I mentioned; which really would lead me to think OTA could sort it and that HTC are saying to DOA devices simply because they don't have a solution right at this moment in time.

Reactions: joplayer

joplayer

Aug 1, 2008
Valence
Yeah it does... As I said thinking back to Macbook/Laptop and the flicker (which had LCD screens) they were sorted via a firmware upgrade as I mentioned; which really would lead me to think OTA could sort it and that HTC are saying to DOA devices simply because they don't have a solution right at this moment in time.

Wasn't aware of this MacBook case. Nice to hear.

As I had some troubles with HTC i can tell you that (at least in France it works this way) their support service is like a different company. There is no communication between them and that is wanted for you not to be able to go far in complains. The people at these support center just read there scripts and know less of the product than we do. They can't be aware of early releases issues this way so for them the only solution is a new device. In the end that is stupid because they loose money and their good reputation :)

DazNoonan

Apr 10, 2012
Hull
Wasn't aware of this MacBook case. Nice to hear.

As I had some troubles with HTC i can tell you that (at least in France it works this way) their support service is like a different company. There is no communication between them and that is wanted for you not to be able to go far in complains. The people at these support center just read there scripts and know less of the product than we do. They can't be aware of early releases issues this way so for them the only solution is a new device. In the end that is stupid because they loose money and their good reputation :)

Thats exactly how it happens over here mate; would rather do the quick fix (handset exchange) than worry about the problem as they are reading from a script and probably don't even really understand the problem... By giving you another device they can simply bide time to report the problem to the technical team to work on a resolution.

ajftl

Mar 30, 2010
I get that flicker only at lock screen when the notification lock screen its select it. Other than that none. So I can't use that lockscreen

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK guys, the more that's reported, especially the intermittent nature of the problems, the more I'm convinced the issue is Teg3 related.

I followed the Asus Prime's launch from the beginning and it had very similar issues that all turned out to be either code or drivers related to Teg3. It took Asus/Nvidia four updates to finally stabilize everything.

The One XL is out now and even though there aren't a lot in people's hand you'd think this would have popped up on at least one if it was common to the One X family. The One XL has a different SoC, kernel, and graphics drivers than the international version while I'm assuming the majority of the rest of the s/w is the same. So as long as it's unaffected you can draw the conclusion that the international version's issues are either Teg3 h/w or related s/w.

The good news is that the majority of issues were eventually resolved on the Prime. But just like Asus, HTC is dependent on Nvidia to identify, isolate, and release new code to correct the issues because their s/w and drivers are proprietary. Having two companies involved is certainly not going to speed up the process. Just like the One X, not every Prime had the issue(s). And when early updates were released devices that were fine suddenly had problems and devices that were broken were fixed. No one from Asus or Nvidia ever explained why devices with identical h/w and s/w behaved differently. My guess is that there are unforeseen variances between individual Teg3 chips and the s/w adjustments were made to enable the s/w to account for them. So while this isn't an answer or a fix hopefully it helps better frame the problem.

I snipped some posts from the Prime forum so you can see that a theme similar to what we're experiencing exists. The first couple are from an Asus manager that participates in the Prime forum.

~~~~~~~~~~
    3/22/2012 Update –

The next firmware update is in qualification testing now. We are also working on solving some flickering problems reported by a few users and hopefully that will be addressed in this next release.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    4/2/2012 Update -

In addition, I have gathered additional details from a few users who are seeing locks or weirdness after playing a Tegra 3 optimized game after a few hours. I will be in California next week to work with NVIDIA and Google on this problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    2/1/12 Update - We received new code from NVIDIA today and are in the process of testing it. If this code is acceptable and provides a solution to the lock/reboot problem after the ICS update, we will release it in beta form for additional testing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    2/7/12 Update - We received another new code update from NVIDIA for testing today. Hopefully we will be able to release a beta patch or OTA update shortly. I will have an update after testing is completed tomorrow.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    THE INITIAL ANDROID 4.0 UPDATE (BUILD 9.4.2.11) CAUSES FREEZES/REBOOTS FOR SOME. BUILD 9.4.2.13 FIXED THIS, BUT INTRODUCED A NEW BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE FOR SOME OTHERS. A FIX IS EXPECTED VERY SOON.

it is now believed that bugs in nvidia's tegra3 video drivers were the cause of freezes and reboots that some experienced after making the initial ICS update (build 9.4.2.11).

asus shipped new drivers with build 9.4.2.13 on 2/8/12 that fixed these issues, but a new battery drain issue was introduced that affects some others. this battery drain has been referred to as the "sleep of death"

asus confirmed on 2/14/12 that a fix has been developed for the battery drain and should be released within a week
    ~~~~~~~~~
    I went 36 hours after the initial ICS update without a problem and then a sudden reboot. I then had no issues for another day of normal use. Then a reboot. No pattern at all and definitely not when playing games when the CPU/GPU was being stressed. So not a thermal issue. This reeks memory issue whether the storage or ram and could be bad code or bad memory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Wondering if any one else has had this issue. The left edge developed a series of blocks that would disappear when I touch he screen, and then reappear when I stopped touching the screen.. The issue persisted into app browser, but reappeared while playing a video in mx player.. It appeared again after I quit mx.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I took screenshots, via the app switcher button throughout, and I can see the corruption in the shots, and so I suspect its a software issue and not something in the display itself. Screenshots will follow once I compression them a bit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Today I was playing zen pinball and i pressed hardly for the right flipper and this screen flickering again. Starting with the bezel when I apply pressure to the right bottom part of the tab the screen flickers into white. I don't think it is a common issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I find I can replicate screen flickering just by tapping the recent items button after having a dozen apps/pages stored there. A reboot fixes it but it comes back later.
    I just can't see how it can be hardware...

Mine is flickering at times too.It seems like just about every device that is out there is doing it. I still think its software based, and probably a setting to do with the LCD display. If its hardware then HTC are going to run out of phones...
    Oh i see, my serial starts HT24
    You are getting me a little worried about this flickering.
    When I check the brightness adjust screen (at 100%) the grey area around the box has a tiny tiny little flickering - as in it seems like the brightness dims a little and turns the brightness up very little 1-2 times a sec, but it is nothing I notice during usage, only at this particularity place when I look for it. It is from HT23 batch.

It it this you are talking about, or is it much more visible?

And well, just checked the screen while it charged and I would say it was gone...

No.. on my second phone it is like that.. it does not go away when charging though.

On my first it was constant flicker no matter which brightness setting it was set to... Much much worse than on the One X that I have now..
    Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    You have been connected to Olga.
    lalit sehgal: hi htc how r u?
    Olga: Hi lalit, thank you for contacting HTC Support. How may I help you today?
    lalit sehgal: well i have jst one queery regarding one x
    Olga: Yes of course, what is it?
    lalit sehgal: well i got this yesterday and really pissed off coz of screen flickering
    lalit sehgal: specially when gray colours are produced
    lalit sehgal: its so annoying
    lalit sehgal: is it software or hardware related......
    lalit sehgal: coz if its hardware i will return this piece of crap....
    Olga: I am not quite sure as this isnt something i have come across, have you tried anything to resolve this at all?
    lalit sehgal: well there are forums loaded with this issue
    lalit sehgal: many across globe are facing it
    Olga: yes but i am afraid as customers dont come to us directly, we have no way of knowing about such issues.
    lalit sehgal: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1597448
    Olga: you can certainly try the full factory reset as a last resort to see if it helps.
    lalit sehgal: i did
    lalit sehgal: no help no use
    Olga: If you still have the problem then it is most likely a hardware fault
    lalit sehgal: i am not sure why all of us are facing this
    Olga: and in this case would be best if you returned the phone to the store
    lalit sehgal: u mean hardware faults with so many sold......
    lalit sehgal: what abt quality check?
    Olga: as i have mentioned we are not aware of this issue.
    Olga: We do not know how many devices are affected.

HAHAHAHA response frm htc.....can u believe this