[Q] Developer Edition vs Unlocked

Search This thread

xsk8er9000

Nov 24, 2011
This is going to be a fairly stupid question, and it seems that similar questions have been asked but never really fully answered.

I will be purchasing the new HTC One M8 and I cant understand the difference between the unlocked and developer edition. I am aware that the developer edition has an unlocked bootloader, but couldn't I just get the unlocked variant bootloader unlocked from HTCDev.com?

If that is the only difference, it seems they wouldn't make two different variants and just direct developers and those who wish to modify their phones software to HTCdev.com. I feel like there has to be some other difference.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

onthezone

Mar 12, 2007
This is going to be a fairly stupid question, and it seems that similar questions have been asked but never really fully answered.

I will be purchasing the new HTC One M8 and I cant understand the difference between the unlocked and developer edition. I am aware that the developer edition has an unlocked bootloader, but couldn't I just get the unlocked variant bootloader unlocked from HTCDev.com?

If that is the only difference, it seems they wouldn't make two different variants and just direct developers and those who wish to modify their phones software to HTCdev.com. I feel like there has to be some other difference.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

With the m7 the only difference was the bootloader was unlocked from factory and for us type people that like to mess with there phones but unlock variant of the phone is for the people that are happy with the software and have a secure phone with bootloader locked. Now that being said about the m7, I'm assuming the m8 is going to be the same.

Also yes you can unlock the bootloader with the unlock phone. There might be a difference in the warranty also....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: xsk8er9000

jtc276

Jul 9, 2011
Ripley, WV
Developer comes bootloader unlocked with a warranty. Unlocked comes locked and, if you choose to unlock the bootloader, you lose the warranty.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

xsk8er9000

Nov 24, 2011
Developer comes bootloader unlocked with a warranty. Unlocked comes locked and, if you choose to unlock the bootloader, you lose the warranty.

This is along the lines of what I was figuring, but even when you go to HTCdev.com It says if you unlock it that you MAY lose your warranty if any damage was deemed related to you doing so. So if I mess up the phone on the dev edition it doesnt matter?

3alaawi

Oct 4, 2011
Sitrah
This is along the lines of what I was figuring, but even when you go to HTCdev.com It says if you unlock it that you MAY lose your warranty if any damage was deemed related to you doing so. So if I mess up the phone on the dev edition it doesnt matter?

On the dev edition you won't need to go to htcdev. You go through htcdev to unlock the bootloader, on the dev edition the bootloader is already unlocked.

On the unlocked version, they mean a different thing by unlocked. I'm guessing it is network unlocked (sim-free), whereas the developer is bootloader unlocked, two separate things.

Reactions: xsk8er9000

xsk8er9000

Nov 24, 2011
On the dev edition you won't need to go to htcdev. You go through htcdev to unlock the bootloader, on the dev edition the bootloader is already unlocked.

On the unlocked version, they mean a different thing by unlocked. I'm guessing it is network unlocked (sim-free), whereas the developer is bootloader unlocked, two separate things.

I understand the difference of what is being unlocked. Just seems silly to me to make the developer edition if you can just take the carrier unlocked version of the phone and unlock the bootloader anyway.

3alaawi

Oct 4, 2011
Sitrah
I understand the difference of what is being unlocked. Just seems silly to me to make the developer edition if you can just take the carrier unlocked version of the phone and unlock the bootloader anyway.

You know what, you got me, htc sell both the unlocked and developer version for $700 on their website. If its a case of warranty not being voided for the developer edition, it would make no sense for anyone to buy the unlocked at the same price. And seeing as htcdev provides a simple enough guide for any noob to unlock his bootloader I don't see why a skilled "developer" would need to buy a developer version.

I'm curious now.

CB620

Jan 6, 2009

Close the thread. You have the answer to your question.

xsk8er9000

Nov 24, 2011

Confirmed with HTC today that this is pretty much it. The rep said that if you get the Carrier Unlocked edition and unlock the bootloader from HTCdev.com that you may not be eligible for your warranty if it was deemed that damage was related to you doing so. Where as the developer edition keeps the warranty as it comes bootloader unlocked from the factory.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

With the m7 the only difference was the bootloader was unlocked from factory and for us type people that like to mess with there phones but unlock variant of the phone is for the people that are happy with the software and have a secure phone with bootloader locked. Now that being said about the m7, I'm assuming the m8 is going to be the same.

Also yes you can unlock the bootloader with the unlock phone. There might be a difference in the warranty also....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app