Tips for coping with an un-rooted device

Search This thread

cbrinnny

Sep 24, 2013
Anyone got a working "volume rocker skip"? I've seen the double press ones that work as a service..seems wonky.

--
Stephen

I downloaded from the play store Pocket Skip Track https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.silentlexx.volbtntrackctrl and has been working ok on my phone.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Anyone know how to remap buttons ? I highly doubt there is a way without root but not having a menu button is killing me

I use Nova Launcher, don't know if it has anything to do with it but if I press and hold the menu button the actual menu comes up.

dave1977nj

Aug 24, 2010
I've tried adblock plus and the settings are correct but I still get ads in apps, web etc.... :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are a lot of threads here and in the VZW forum about how terrible this device is, etc, without root. I'm a former flash-a-holic and my last several devices have all been Samsung on stock, albeit rooted, firmware. those of us preferring touchwiz have our reasons, and those who prefer aosp have theirs, but this isn't a "why we can't have aosp" thread, this is about making lemonade with what we have.

so, my reasons for wanting root, and how I worked around them:

1. ad blocking. I LOVE adaway, its seriously the first app I'd install on a new device after rooting. without root, give adblock plus a try. you can turn off the status bar notifications in the app and by ticking the box in the app manager.

its simple enough to disable apps on WiFi, just input the proxy host name and port and you're done. I hadn't ever found a clear and concise instruction on how to do this with mobile data, so here it is- create a NEW APN and copy all of the info from the stock APN, and add the proxy host name and port. done, you now have ad blocking on WiFi and mobile data, without root, and without persistent notifications.

2. de-bloating. first, the s5 has less bloat than the s3 or s4, but its still there. it is INCREADIBLY easy to disable or uninstall on this device. go to the app drawer and press the settings icon (or long press the app switcher button) and select uninstall/disable apps. if its ATT or Samsung, and you don't want it, odds are you can either uninstall or disable it. just make sure that in Samsung Apps you disable automatic updates over WiFi. you can also hide them.

myth busting time: IF you were rooted, and IF you manually removed bloat apps, you do NOT gain ANY additional usable space in device storage.

3. tether bypass. there are multiple threads here on how to do this. I have a 10gb plan so its a non issue here.

4. Writing to extSDcard. most built in apps like the browser, email, and camera will save to the ext SD card. so will my files, which is actually a LOT better than on the s3 or s4.

5. removing bloat bookmarks from the stock browser. I prefer the stock browser over chrome, call me crazy. I also don't like the 4 pre-loaded bookmarks being in my list. I saw a tip here to just create a folder called My Bookmarks or whatever you like and put your bookmarks there. the bloat is still there but its not staring you in the face.

so what else have you guys been doing to get functionality that was easy and convenient with root, but still attainable without?
    so what else have you guys been doing to get functionality that was easy and convenient with root, but still attainable without?

Speed- I find that a lot of people nag about speed, my phone is fluid in all ways. Three factors play into this, using the TW launcher, animation speed, one last tricky one-- S-Voice has a delay on the home button waiting for the possible hook in for user prompting it. My standpoint is you can get from a TW rom the kind of speed or more that you can with a rom somebody else pre-tweaked for you.

Remedies below.

1. Get Nova Launcher (you can look into others if you like, if you want an experienced users perspective on speed, use Nova it flies)

2. Enable Developer Options(click About Device, click build number until it says Dev mode is enabled), Turn OFF animations for Transition window animation scale, transition animation scale and animator duration scale.

3. Open up S Voice (through the double-tap shortcut or in the app drawer). Tap the menu button in the top right corner (three dots) and find the "Open via home key" option under "Wake-up." Disable for slightly faster home button response.

Some people may find this abrupt transition between applications off putting at first but once you give it an hour the phone is flying so fast I could never go back. Enjoy!
    Awesome app called quick click,let's you map your volume buttons for flashlight and a lot of others actions,just throwing it out there missed using xposed,mods with that.

SENT FROM DJMOUSE'S SM-G900A