Problem with constant restarts

Search This thread

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
My wife's 7" Kindle Fire HD keeps rebooting into the TWRP recovery. I had rooted it and installed a custom ROM several months ago, but could never get it stable and working correctly. So I gave up and restored the original images backup and all was well for several months. She used it quite regularly without issues.

Then a couple of weeks ago, she would charge it up 100%, use it to read then go to bed. By the next evening it would be as dead as a door nail. So thinking it was a bad battery I did some investigating and found that when she puts it into standby mode it will eventually reboot and go into TWRP. Of course it never enters sleep mode while on the recovery screen and the battery will eventually run down.

A couple of notes - If I reboot it to the system from TWRP but never unlock the screen it never reboots to recovery. Only when I unlock the screen and enter the Home screen, or open ANY program will it eventually reboot to TWRP.

I am suspecting that some program updated itself and that is causing the problem, but since she has numerous programs and I had auto update installed it is impossible to know which one is the culprit.

It is running software version 7.4.8_user_4849020, TWRP 2.6.3.1

Has anybody seen this issue? Any suggestions?

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown
Amazon'n software doesn't want to play nice with the 2nd bootloader and recovery. I suggest you to flash a custom rom like CM. The unofficial builds and monthly snapshots are pretty stable.
Oh,and you need to upgrade TWRP to 2.7.0.0 to install CM 11.

Reactions: pastorbob62

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
Amazon'n software doesn't want to play nice with the 2nd bootloader and recovery. I suggest you to flash a custom rom like CM. The unofficial builds and monthly snapshots are pretty stable.

Not going to happen. I went down that obstacle course several months ago and had nothing but problems with CM. Never could get the tablet stable and working in spite of following all of the suggestions and tweaks.. That is why I went back to stock. It worked without issues for several months so as far as I'm concerned it is a problem that can be fixed. It is just going to take me a while to solve it. In the meantime, it seems that as long as she is in the Kindle Reader software and actively using it the reboot doesn't happen. If it gets to where it is not usable I'll just bite the bullet and buy her a new tablet.

Ph0enix_216

Not going to happen. I went down that obstacle course several months ago and had nothing but problems with CM. Never could get the tablet stable and working in spite of following all of the suggestions and tweaks.. That is why I went back to stock. It worked without issues for several months so as far as I'm concerned it is a problem that can be fixed. It is just going to take me a while to solve it. In the meantime, it seems that as long as she is in the Kindle Reader software and actively using it the reboot doesn't happen. If it gets to where it is not usable I'll just bite the bullet and buy her a new tablet.

So far no one has found a way around Amazon's bootloader checks, so there's no way to solve it. And CM has become much much more stable now (we're considered official now :D ). So CM may be worth another go :)

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
So far no one has found a way around Amazon's bootloader checks, so there's no way to solve it. And CM has become much much more stable now (we're considered official now :D ). So CM may be worth another go :)

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<

Hmmmm. Well, I may give this a shot after I replace her Kindle for her. I have about $100.00 in my Amazon account that I can apply to the price of a new tablet (not another Kindle, she wants a REAL Android device ;)). Then I can experiment as much as I desire and if things go badly, she will still have a tablet.

Thank you for the feedback!

Bao289

Mar 23, 2014
Hmmmm. Well, I may give this a shot after I replace her Kindle for her. I have about $100.00 in my Amazon account that I can apply to the price of a new tablet (not another Kindle, she wants a REAL Android device ;)). Then I can experiment as much as I desire and if things go badly, she will still have a tablet.

Thank you for the feedback!

Cm11 has changed ALOT in the past 9 months. It's very stable, and has the latest android version 4.4.4. Also think about upgrading your Twrp version to 2.7.0. :)

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
Cm11 has changed ALOT in the past 9 months. It's very stable, and has the latest android version 4.4.4. Also think about upgrading your Twrp version to 2.7.0. :)

Upgrading to TWRP 2.7.0 is understood. I had to do that in order to run a Kit-Kat based ROM on my Asus TF300. (Which, by the way, is MUCH easier to customize than this Kindle.)

The main problem I previously had with CM was getting the Kindle app to work without crashing and causing a reboot. or locking the tablet up. Has that issue been resolved?

Bao289

Mar 23, 2014
Upgrading to TWRP 2.7.0 is understood. I had to do that in order to run a Kit-Kat based ROM on my Asus TF300. (Which, by the way, is MUCH easier to customize than this Kindle.)

The main problem I previously had with CM was getting the Kindle app to work without crashing and causing a reboot. or locking the tablet up. Has that issue been resolved?

Yes that issue has been resolved. Hascode changed the build prop file to make amazon apps work. I can acess books, apps but NOT prime videos.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
NO one can access Prime videos outside of a Kindle OS. It seems like the one thing devs can't crack yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
Yes that issue has been resolved. Hascode changed the build prop file to make amazon apps work. I can acess books, apps but NOT prime videos.

Okay, I bought my wife a new tablet (Asus 10.1") and I am finally at the point where I am ready to give this a try.

Just to recap, I am running software version 7.4.8_user_4849020, TWRP 2.6.3.1.

Can I just flash TWRP 2.7.0.0 from TWRP 2.6.3 and then flash CM 11 from TWRP 2.7.0.0? I was able to do that with my Asus tablet without any issues. Or do I have to go back through using fastboot.

Bao289

Mar 23, 2014
Okay, I bought my wife a new tablet (Asus 10.1") and I am finally at the point where I am ready to give this a try.

Can I just flash TWRP 2.7.0.0 from TWRP 2.6.3 and then flash CM 11 from TWRP 2.7.0.0? I was able to do that with my Asus tablet without any issues. Or do I have to go back through using fastboot.

flash twrp 2.7.0.0 using fire flash app DO NOT FLASH TWRP IN OLD TWRP. So that you have the latest twrp version. Make sure you do a full back up then clear davalik, cache (factory reset) in twrp. THEN flash cm 11 with gapps.

Bao289

Mar 23, 2014

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield

Bao289

Mar 23, 2014
Thank you. I had TWRP 2.7.0.0 but could not find fire flash.

At the bottom of the fireflash app youshould be able to boot into recovery. do not boot into eecovey by shutting it down and holding the volume butoons. Use the app to reboot as the reboot makes the change.

Just to let you know if you haven't done so.

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
Fabulous!! I now have a nice 7" tablet with decent resolution, performance and all of the accessibility to Android apps that my 10.1" tablet has.

Thank you to all for your help.

Last edited:

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
At the bottom of the fireflash app youshould be able to boot into recovery. do not boot into eecovey by shutting it down and holding the volume butoons. Use the app to reboot as the reboot makes the change.

Just to let you know if you haven't done so.

Yes, I had it figured out and am now running CM 11 with TWRP 2.7.0.0. I am running it in ART and OC'ed at 1.5 Ghz. So far no reboots or crashes.

Thank you for your help.

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
Wait. You're using ART? I normally use Dalvik but it's mostly up to personal preference.

Sent from my device running CyanogenMod 11

Yup! Been using ART on my TF300T for about six months so I enabled it on this tablet too.

ART runs circles around Dalvik as far as performance is concerned. I've heard that there are some apps that won't run with ART and Xposed Framework is not compatible with it, but I don't use Xposed and I have never run into an app that has caused me any problems.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

flash twrp 2.7.0.0 using fire flash app DO NOT FLASH TWRP IN OLD TWRP. So that you have the latest twrp version. Make sure you do a full back up then clear davalik, cache (factory reset) in twrp. THEN flash cm 11 with gapps.
    Can't seem to locate a version of Fire Flash to download. Where might I find it?

LINK TO TRWP 2.7.0.0= https://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/tate/kfhd7-twrp-2.7.0.0-recovery.img/

FireFlash = http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2168512

Under RECOVERY PARTITION put the TWRP image file. LEAVE OTHER BOXES ALONE.

Then Reboot into recovey.

You will have the latest twrp recovery. Backup in twrp then flash cm11 with gapps.