[KERNEL] Bali-X 1.2GHz | Bali 1.8.8 "Extended Battery Life" [7/8/2011]

Search This thread

lilredstang

Sep 23, 2009
I have been running bail-x for a day or so with bionix and it just started crashing on me what is the best settings should it be at and what should I set bail 1.8.8?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

TravisBy

Feb 7, 2009
I love this!

I originally used the UV kernel with perfect stability, and just witched to Bali-X where I have things undervolted -75mV so far and it runs great. I can't even imagine better battery life.

I do have a question however,

Has anyone been successful with VPN usage? I use Cisco Anyconnect and it gives issues. At first it complained about the existence of tun.ko (solved by symlinking to /data/local/kernel_modules/), however it still gives me issues ('System configuration settings could not be applied. A vpn connection will not be established')

Are there any suggestions? :)

Thanks,

Travis

[edit]

Well, for those with similar issues... the Anyconnect for Samsung (< Sep 2011) works, not the Rooted Anyconnect. And I mean works like a charm. ;)

I'm loving this kernel!

[edit2]

Looks like it was an issue with wifi + TVPN, since it worked fine on EDGE. I have a feeling this isn't a kernel issue then, since there's a ticket open for my ROM with Wifi not working with Bluetooth at the same time, so I'm assuming it's that. aka: so normal rooted anyconnect probably works :)

Last edited:

Shiv4m

Jan 25, 2011
Hmm...

I'm wondering which one to install, the regular one or the UV one. Can anyone who's using this kernel tell me which one I should pick and why?

claucXC

Dec 23, 2010
Can anyone post up a mirror for Bali-X v1.2? The Team Whiskey link no longer works.

Sent from my T959 using XDA App

C

conectix

Is tv out working on this kernel? Im using bali x and I feel like this kernel is the culprit.. Anyone can confirm? Ty!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium

jakemg

Sep 23, 2009
Chicago-ish
Question, and I hope someone sees this and can answer. My Vibrant doesn't seem to like UV. I've always experienced worse battery life when using an undervolted kernel. I just popped Fishman's moded Bionix 1.3.1, but it comes with the UV Bali Kernel.

I'm just curious if I'm save to go directly from the UV kernel to either the non-UV kernel, or a different kernel (like Bullet) that doesn't implement UV. I thought I once read somewhere that I'm supposed to go to a stock kernel first, but I thought I'd check. It would be tits if I could just do my normal kernel flash to BaliX or the non-UV Bali (or bullet, if I go that route).

Thanks!

Mattymat

Nov 28, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Question, and I hope someone sees this and can answer. My Vibrant doesn't seem to like UV. I've always experienced worse battery life when using an undervolted kernel. I just popped Fishman's moded Bionix 1.3.1, but it comes with the UV Bali Kernel.

I'm just curious if I'm save to go directly from the UV kernel to either the non-UV kernel, or a different kernel (like Bullet) that doesn't implement UV. I thought I once read somewhere that I'm supposed to go to a stock kernel first, but I thought I'd check. It would be tits if I could just do my normal kernel flash to BaliX or the non-UV Bali (or bullet, if I go that route).

Thanks!

You can absolutely flash another kernel without going back to a stock one. You just want to make sure of 2 things...1.) if you want voodoo still, just make sure your new Kernel still supports that (most will) and 2.) You should clear the Cache in advanced settings in CWM before flashing the new kernel.

Other than that, you can swap them out however you please with no issues. I swapped out my kernel about 5 times on a few roms just to see which gave best performance and battery life.

- Mat

Last edited:

fishman0919

Sep 18, 2009
Providence, RI

Thanks!

You can use whatever vibrant Froyo kernel you want.

"SGS Kernel Flasher" from the market works great for flashing kernel. No need to boot into Recovery... Just simply point to the kernel you want to flash on your SD from within the app... Boom, all done

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

Last edited:

cgnavarro

Sep 12, 2009
In-Call Notifications

I have run in to an odd behavior using version 1.8.8 while running bionix 1.3.1 fishmanmod r3 final. While in call, any text messages I receive areread aloud. Toggling driving mode to off nor specifying that in call notifications be made through vibration prevents them from being read aloud. Has anyone else experienced and remedied this? For those wondering, I'm not using the UV version the rom comes with because it doesn't agree with my phone, but that is another matter.

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth
Why dont you guys give Immortality 2.1 a try ? It's also a great Kernel from TW. My setup is [treat this as a reference no flaming plz]:

Stock KB5 from T-Mobile with Immortality Kernel.
CPU Governor : Conservative
Max Freq : 800 Mhz

800 | -100mV
400 | -125mV
200 | -150mV
100 | -300mV

The phone has been running smoothly for 2 days, no SoD, no more heating up (the back cover always feel cool even if I do YouTube, Browsing or even Playing game [Avatar SD version <it does get a little bit warmer just a little bit>]). Battery life is Awesome.

I tried this and my phone seems to work perfectly with these settings, however even when I've selected apply these settings on boot in SetCPU, when it boots the voltages are back to zero (with the values saved), and I have to once again re-apply. I'm assuming that if they are not set at these values when it reboots, then it's not working? Or do the saved values kick in when required at the various frequencies?
Confused?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Moped_Ryder

Sep 4, 2010
Columbus
I tried this and my phone seems to work perfectly with these settings, however even when I've selected apply these settings on boot in SetCPU, when it boots the voltages are back to zero (with the values saved), and I have to once again re-apply. I'm assuming that if they are not set at these values when it reboots, then it's not working? Or do the saved values kick in when required at the various frequencies?
Confused?

Thanks.

Try Voltage Control from the market. Its better than SetCPU IMO.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The main goal of this kernel is to have a kernel that is smooth and efficient enough without the use of OC. A balanced between performance and battery life was the main goal of this kernel.

Features:

- BLN
    - Voodoo lagfix
    - Voodoo sound v9 (fixed on 1.8.6)
    - Voodoo color
    - 337MB RAM
    - Adjusted HZ value to improve smoothness
    - CIFS
    - TUN
    - no FPS cap
    - TinyRCU for better speed and efficiency
    - lowmemorykiller patch for compatibility with Tiny RCU
    - ext4 patch
    - jhash3 for smoothness and responsiveness
    - BFQ I/O scheduler to improve I/O throughput
    - Battery source mod for optimization and battery life (1.7.2)
    - Disabled debug and printk for performance and battery life (1.8.2)
    - NEW -25 UV across all freq on UV version only (1.8.5)

NOTE:
    - This kernel will only work with 2.2 and 2.2.1
    - Disable SetCPU if you have one installed.

Special Thanks:

grendel905 - for pointing me to the right direction
    supercurio - for wonderful work on voodoo
    neldar - for Back Light Notification
    Paul McKenny - TinyRCU
    hardcore - for ideas on kernel tweaks and efficiencies
    jdiddyub - for awesome boot logo image

Disclaimer:

As always, I'm not responsible with any damage cause to your phone.

Change Log:

Code:
    Bali-X 1.2 [7/10/2011]
    - Updated Voodoo Sound v10

Bali-X 1.1 [6/23/2011]
    - 1.8.7 based 

Bali-X [6/16/2011]
    - Adding a new variant, Bali-X 1.2GHz

=====================================

1.8.8 [7/8/2011]
    - Updated voodoo sound driver to v10
    - Discontinue capped version

1.8.7 [6/23/2011]
    - More optimization for performance

1.8.6 [6/2/2011]
    - Fixed voodoo sound patch, it should load v9 like it supposed to
    - Fixed the battery drain issue

1.8.5 [5/24/2011]
    - Minor tweaks and fixes
    - Introduction of new variant .. 1.8.5UV

1.8.4 [5/20/2011]
    - Updated voodoo sound to version 9

1.8.3 [5/6/2011]
    - Added more tweaks for performance
    - Added FPS capped version [5/10/2011]

1.8.2 [4/27/2011]
    - Fix FPS cap issue (thanks MattyMat for pointing this out)
    - Disabled printk for better performance and battery life
    - Disabled debug to be more efficient.

1.8.0 [4/27/2011]
    - Update Voodoo sound driver v8

1.7.2 [4/23/2011] 
    - Battery source mod for optimization and battery life
    - More tweaks for performance and battery life

1.6.6 [4/21/2011] 
    - Fixed kernel RAM 

1.6.4 [4/20/2011] 
    - Initial release

Current:
    Bali v1.8.8
    Bali v1.8.8UV

Bali-X v1.2 1.2GHz

Archives:
    Bali v1.8.7 uncapped
    Bali v1.8.7 capped
    Bali v1.8.7UV uncapped
    OP updated with a link to Bali-X 1.2GHz.

Enjoy!
    Already used my five thanks per day; shoot. I'll get to you tomorrow.

Thank you for the post; are there any other changes aside from the 1.2GHz option?

Nope other than giving you as a user more control over your kernel. Pick the best combination of IO scheduler, CPU governor, and OC/UV for your phone. :)
    v1.8.5 is now posted with minor fixes and tweaks. UV version is also available now ..

Enjoy :)
    Can someone please reupload the kernel, the links don't work.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA Premium App

Bali v1.8.8 and v1.8.8uv work fine for me... Bali X is down because TeamWhiskey changed it's site

Bali-X v1.2 LINK