[APP/OPEN SOURCE]Screen Standby ♯ Root [2.0]-Screen off while keeping device active

Search This thread
Feb 10, 2015
It's not working for me. When it detects HDMI the touchscreen stops responding. When I disconnected the cable or shake the device it doesn't turn back on. I have to reset the phone. I have a note 4. Any ideas?

patmontes

Feb 10, 2015
Previously it worked for me, but now as soon as i click the icon, it says unfortunately screen standby has stopped.
Using ainol novo 7 tablet. What seems to be the problem?

krollsplint

Feb 14, 2015
Record video black screen

When I try to capture something with my HTC One X, rooted, running Cyanogenmod 11, 4.4.4, KitKat, my phone A. Kills my battery and B. Runs hot. A fully charged phone attached to the original HTC charger end up with a dead battery in less than two hours. Obviously this has to do with my screen staying alive while recording. Enter Screen standby. I have now tried using Screen standby to do it's thing together with both the Google camera app that comes with Cyanogenmod and the OpenCamera app, but both cameras stops shooting when I switch to Screen standby. If I set a 15 seconds timer in Screen standby, switch to a camera and start recording, the screen don't go black. If I tell Screen standby to go to sleep when I start a camera, it does, literally. I have to shake the phone and start recording but then nothing more happens, except for another recording until my battery is dead.

It would seem Screen standby don't stay alive when I sweep down my top menu if a camera is recording, I don't see the icon. I started a youtube clip, pulled down the menu and I could select Screen standby to make my screen go black, and the song played on, so it's not broke.

What to do?

exander

Jan 13, 2011
I am looking for an app which dims screen to a certain level after a specified inactive time.

Any help?

zander7990

Oct 20, 2011
Ive got a Nexus 5 running lollipop and cant get the app to run properly. I have reset everything to default, have root and busybox installed. When I activate it, it goes black for a few seconds and then screen comes back on but says its still running. When I turn it off, the screen turns back to normal brightness. Its been hit and miss, and not sure whats going on. Any suggestions?

joshseo

Aug 24, 2010
Galaxy S5 issue

i am currently using galaxy s5. the apps seems to work fine most of the time turning off/on.
But sometimes if I leave the screen off for too long, the screen would not turn back on. It would flash for a split second but fail to turn on.
The only way to fix it would be to remove and replace the battery.

krollsplint

Feb 14, 2015
When I try to capture something with my HTC One X, rooted, running Cyanogenmod 11, 4.4.4, KitKat, my phone A. Kills my battery and B. Runs hot. A fully charged phone attached to the original HTC charger end up with a dead battery in less than two hours. Obviously this has to do with my screen staying alive while recording. Enter Screen standby. I have now tried using Screen standby to do it's thing together with both the Google camera app that comes with Cyanogenmod and the OpenCamera app, but both cameras stops shooting when I switch to Screen standby. If I set a 15 seconds timer in Screen standby, switch to a camera and start recording, the screen don't go black. If I tell Screen standby to go to sleep when I start a camera, it does, literally. I have to shake the phone and start recording but then nothing more happens, except for another recording until my battery is dead.

It would seem Screen standby don't stay alive when I sweep down my top menu if a camera is recording, I don't see the icon. I started a youtube clip, pulled down the menu and I could select Screen standby to make my screen go black, and the song played on, so it's not broke.

What to do?

[Edit] Turn out, if I change settings to Generic HTC device the One-two-dim option appear work. I had initially set my phone to HTC One X .

stadros83

Sep 19, 2008
Paris
Sorry if it was already asked but is it supposed to work with a Nexus 5 and Lollipop ?

Because on my it doesn't.

The first time that I click and "stanby" it's asking me to allow it (root access), I click on yes ... then nothing, the screen is still on.

Edit : Ok I just reinstalled Busybox and now it's ok !

Edit2 : I have another problem, the screen shutdown so it's good, but if I click on "Home" it awakes :( ! I have Lollipop on my Nexus, is it normal ?

Last edited:

stadros83

Sep 19, 2008
Paris
Ive got a Nexus 5 running lollipop and cant get the app to run properly. I have reset everything to default, have root and busybox installed. When I activate it, it goes black for a few seconds and then screen comes back on but says its still running. When I turn it off, the screen turns back to normal brightness. Its been hit and miss, and not sure whats going on. Any suggestions?

Same problem here.

iamjezz

Nov 27, 2012
using 4.2 rooted Samsung S5 and although it works via app detection, Bluetooth and tasker ( tasker automation works well) it doesn't stay off , for example if i go over a bump in my car the screen turns on and if i open the app it thinks its still off so i have to turn the screen on then off again. Is there another setting to make it a little more aggressive?

Thanks in advance

stadros83

Sep 19, 2008
Paris
Last edited:

haoluu15

Mar 4, 2015
Reboots Phone issue

Hi,

I downloaded this app on my VZW Samsung Galaxy S4 NC5 build. Every time I "Turn Off" the screen, it would always reboot my phone. Any ideas what's going on? Never happened before when I was using my Motorola Droid 4.

lshanepowers

Mar 8, 2015
Nexus 7 2013 rooted

I've searched but couldn't find anything related to my issue. Sorry about the length of the post.

First off, great app! Helps a lot. I'm doing things a little different than most with this app. I use my Nexus as a dedicated Home Automation controller (Elan g! system for anyone interested)
I keep the tablet bedside in a dock. I'm running lollipop(5.02) on my Nexus. I keep my automation app pinned to be running all the time. I'm using screen standby to turn off the screen while keeping the app, wifi and the tablet still awake. I then just tap the screen to awaken it and be able to use the app. I turn off the screen because even dimmed down, it puts out a lot of light for sleeping.
I've got the screen turning off after 35 seconds and that works well. Initially I had the display timeout(in settings) set to 1 minute. The screen would turn off at 30 seconds and then at 1 minute, the backlight would turn back on along with the buttons under the app. I realized this so I changed the display off time to 30 seconds and seemed it fixed this.
Now after a more extended time however, the backlight still turns back on and I can't figure out why. I'm not sure how long that takes yet though because it has mostly happened when I'm asleep and I awake to find it on. Any ideas?

wolfnumba1

May 5, 2007
New Rochelle
Not sure if said already, using on nexus 6 with root on stock ROM when using track pad feature how do you actually select something using said pointer. If I double tap on the screen it selects whatever is there on the screen that I tapped, it doesn't select whatever the pointer is on and since screen is off you can't see exactly what is under where you tapped, am I missing something here? Please help! Thanks

emanrov

Jan 11, 2009
xperia z3c, app closed

I'm on xperia z3c, app (v2.0) works fine for mhl screen mirrroring (it freezes when checking for root/busybox but does have root permissions), screen goes black, backlight off, sensor or touch can reactivate screen....
My Problem is when I exit the app, or emergency on, my screen backlight no longer shuts off. Power button puts the device in sleep but the backlight stays on.
So I have to reboot everytime after using the app to restore normal screen off behaviour.

Anyone can help me with this?
Thanks for aswers

BIGSIKE3

Oct 19, 2010
Cleveland
Guys the Dev is long gone, this post for the most part is dead. Unless you've had it a long time ago on an older phone chances you'll never get it to work for you. Just some heads up.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

aillez

Jun 28, 2010
Bangkok
OnePlus 10 Pro
Have some issued.

I have Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 running on CM12 temasek build

when I turn off the screen it's work perfectly.
when I turn on the screen via 2 in 1 widget it's work for few times (2-3 times)
after that I can't turn screen on anymore only option is to reboot.

do you guys face this issued too ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [APP/OPEN SOURCE]Screen Standby ♯ Root [2.0]-Screen off while keeping device active

SCREEN STANDBY ♯ ROOT 2.0
    TURN OFF SCREEN AND AVOID OVERHEATING PROBLEM FROM PROLONGED STREAMING/GAMING OVER HDMI / MHL | DOWNLOADING DATA OVER WIFI
    SAVE YOUR SCREEN AND BATTERY WHILE PHONE IS STILL RUNNING!
    OPEN SOURCE!
    AUTO SCREEN OFF / ON WITH HDMI CONNECTION / DISCONNECTION

Git Repo: https://github.com/nkahoang/screenstandby

promonew_xda_zpsbfbcbdd2.png

Remote Controller Feature - Public Review
    remoteBanner_zps56ef2600.png

Setting Wizard
    settingwizard_zps62df3a35.png

Search Plugin
    searchplugin_zpsc15ab8ca.png

Selectable UI
    toggleui_zpsa8d122ab.png

Outgoing call automator
    automator_zpse7d250b0.png

TURN YOUR SCREEN INTO TOUCHPAD, NO NEED FOR BUYING AN EXTERNAL MOUSE!​
    REMOTE CONTROLLER FEATURE!​
    SCREEN STANDBY IS NOW LIVE ON GOOGLE PLAY STORE!
    The app is published under the name "Screen Standby ♯ Root"

INTRODUCTION
    Hi everyone,
    This is originally for HTC One X, however, I have ported it to the Galaxy Nexus and now it could work on all devices! (Galaxy S3 / Moto Razr / etc). "Screen Standby" will completely turn off the backlight while keeping the phone running for MHL / HDMI streaming|gaming. That means you can now watch movie / play games on big screen and can still turn off the screen (touch screen still works!).

ROOT REQUIRED (Non-root method also available but not as effective & battery saving as root)

FEATURES
    - Switch off the screen temporarily without actually putting the phone into 'sleep mode'. The phone is still running! It saves your battery, avoids heating to prolong battery life
    - Since 1.96, screen can be optionally turned into touchpad!
    - It has a nice little widget that let you quickly turn the screen off from your homescreen
    - Since version 1.5 beta 2, shaking your device will temporarily toggle between complete screen off and lowest brightness level (so that you can perform quick action without playing a blind guessing game)
    - Non-root method now available with 1.98 Beta 7
    - One two dimmer: Turn off screen automatically after an idling time (no user interaction)
    - Simple interface

WHY?

This little app will temporarily turn off screen backlight, however, unlike putting the phone to sleep, the phone is kept running. It is perfect for keeping the phone from heating from prolonged HDMI streaming over Medialink HD or MHL connection (the screen is off yet image/movie/games continue to be streamed) / or wifi data downloading, etc.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

It attempts to perform various actions (cutting screen voltage / brightness / light switch / writing a blank image to frame buffer, etc)
    (Since 1.5, the voltage method is temporarily disabled)
    For some devices, the screen may shutter a bit if Automatic Brightness is turned on. However, the app will automatically detect it and put the backlight into sleep again. So if you want to avoid the problem, set Automatic Brightness to false.. Since 1.7, enable auto brightness handling in app setting helps preventing this flickering

HOW TO TURN ON THE SCREEN AGAIN?
    + Click on the app notification on your status bar (since version 1.3) or
    + Simply put the phone into true sleep (short press power button) then turn it on (power button again)
    + Temporarily lid the light a bit by shaking the device (since 1.5b2, enable it in Menu -> Settings)
    + If you can't turn on using any of the above methods, press emergency button (in main app interface) to turn on / or use 2 by 1 widget

SCREENSHOTS (Updated for version v1.97)

ss001_resized_zps6e8366ab.jpg
    ss002_resized_zps69f173f3.jpg
    ss003_resized_zpse4c7e153.jpg

Installation
    Install as normal apk :) No big deal
    Remember, install and use as your own risk, even though I can't think of any damage this little app can cause to your phone

Changelogs:
    ßeta 2 Changelog:
    Add toggable UI: Metro and Android Dark Holo (in Settings -> Extra)
    New feature: Outgoing call automator !

First ßeta Changelog:
    - New! Setting Wizard to help user quickly and easily set up Screen Standby. Simply select your known-supported device (the list is expanding!
    Please help me) and your use-case (Streaming movie / Playing ingress / Playing Youtube etc) and the wizard will automatically select the optimised preset for you!
    - New! Screen Standby Search Plugin to help automate Screen Standby from Search key (long press search hardware-key or softkey) or Google Now gesture (swipe up from Home softkey on Jellybean device). The plugin can now open Screen Standby interface, activate / deactivate / toggle screen off or launch Remote Controller
    - Added better Root & BusyBox checker and helper
    - Added new Tasker intent to control screen standby:
    com.nkahoang.screenstandby.action.TOGGLE : to toggle screen on and off automatically
    com.nkahoang.screenstandby.action.REMOTE_CONTROL: to launch Remote Control from tasker
    - Added new option to broadcast an intent to Tasker when HDMI is detected (go to my app's settings -> HDMI Detection -> Enable broadcast on HDMI Connection/Disconnection. Specify intent action (case-sensitive) for each case. Go to tasker, add New System Event -> Intent Received, type exactly the action intent you provided in Screen Standby). The best part is, HDMI Intent can also be broadcast without activating Screen Standby (yeah, so you can use SS as a HDMI sensor for tasker)
    - Added ability to use Remote Controller with Wifi-Direct (if a warning message is shown, just click 'Continue Anyway')
    Optimizations:
    - Continued optimisation for Nexus 4
    - Added wake-lock to One Two Dimmer
    - Slightly tuned sensors

From user report:
    Normally, with the same amount of time watching movie, battery drain drops from 30% down to just 2%!!!!!!!!!!!

Please report bugs / feedbacks / suggestions.
    To help me solving your issue faster, since version 1.31, you may want to open the app, hit "Menu" key -> Print debug info. It will then generates a log file containing the required information. Please send that file over pm to me. Thank you

Special thanks to:
    - ppmeis (helps with S2, now S3 / Transformer and lots of other stuffs)
    - winsettr (helps with Galaxy Nexus compatibility and constant reports)
    - mnsk (helps with his Sony and Iconia)
    - cocatriz (helps with S2)
    - TheDarkLux (helps with Galaxy S3)
    - evilmtv (helps with problems on GB devices)

Coffee buyers:
    Styles Vancleave
    - agronick from AppRadio / ARLiberator forum
    - jjwatmyself (and also thanks for his mention of my app on his thread)
    - jdbaldi
    - jhanson
    - MichaelMotes
    Youtube clip:
    - Doctor.Krouch

Tutorial: Setup app to work with tasker / Llama
    Follow the instruction of this post:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33073452&postcount=92 (Tasker)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33073452&postcount=565 (Llama, thank Buzzthebuzzsaw)

DOWNLOAD
    Stable version of app can be downloaded in attachments section on through Google Play Store. In addition, this thread will receive beta / experimental build in the future.

Archived build (1.1 to 1.96) can be downloaded from here
    [Tutorial] Making Screen Standby works with Tasker

This tutorial will help you setup tasker to automatically turn off / on screen based on your defined profiles.

Step 1. Download and install my app (only works with version 1.5 and above), then open Tasker, of course
    Step 2. Switch to Tasks tab, click on the Add button (plus icon)
    Step 3. Type "Screen off" as Name or up to you /* creating action to enable my app to turn off the screen */
    Step 4. Click on the Add action button (plus icon)
    Step 5. Select Misc -> Send Intent
    Step 6. In the action box, type in com.nkahoang.screenstandby.action.ENABLE
    (case sensitive)
    Step 7. Click on OK (check icon button)

Step 8. Add another task
    Step 9. Type "Screen on" as Name or up to you /* creating action to disable the app to turn the screen on again */
    Step 10. Click on the Add action button
    Step 11. Select Misc -> Send Intent
    Step 12. In the action box, type in com.nkahoang.screenstandby.action.DISABLE
    (case sensitive)
    Step 13. Click on OK (check icon button)

Step 14 (Optional). Go to Screen Standby -> Menu -> Settings and set all the options you want the app to behave like

Now you can add action "Screen off" and "Screen on" in your Tasker profile. Have fun!
    Screen Standby is now OPEN SOURCE

Hi everyone, sorry for the long long response. Many things happened and I'm extremely sorry for any issues and lack of my feedback.

Today, I finally have some free time and open sourced Screen Standby to everyone under GNU GPL v2 license

Every developer will be able to access the codebase of the app for the first time (with screen off, remoting, HDMI, everything!) and contribute directly to it. I would like to apologize for being late in open sourcing the app. I recognise my biggest problem was the ambitious of making the app compatible with all devices, which did prove that it is an impossible task. Screen Standby is too hardware specific and I, myself cannot maintain it to work on all devices.

The app should be able to compatible with 4.4 devices (4.3 device please wait for an update to 4.4)

Github repository is at the following URL:
    https://github.com/nkahoang/screenstandby

If the app is not working on your devices, please ask your device developer to contribute in the app project. I, myself, will contribute in the following devices:
    - Google Nexus 4 (4.0+)
    - Google Nexus 5 (4.4+)
    - Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 (4.4+, which is broken as I dropped it after having it for about 1 month... )

Cheers and glory to Open Source community
    promo_xda_newyear_zps97da5785.png

New year Release: 1.99 R2
    - Add new feature: "Auto app detection". If enabled, this feature will turn off screen when the selected app is launched (Youtube, Ingress, MX Player, etc) and screen will be turned on again if none of the selected app is active. Select up to 4 apps, disabled by default.
    - Much much better One Two Dim. The handler is completely rewritten and should be more stable and battery friendly
    - Attempt to fix Nexus 10 bugs
    - Squash some small bugs

I would like to thank you to Styles Vancleave with his very generous donation that is enough to buy me more than a year worth of daily coffee. It greatly helps further development of this app. Thanks again!
    Everyone, I would like to make an announcement
    fanfare.play();

SCREEN STANDBY IS NOW LIVE ON GOOGLE PLAY STORE!
    The app is published under the name "Screen Standby ♯ Root" with version v1.75 (also updated on this thread), which has the following changelogs:

- New icon !!!
    - Proximity sensor (experimental, please test for me! )
    - Even better stability & faster off time
    - I also implemented an ads banner with this (don't worry guy, there is an option in Settings to turn it off :highfive:.)

Both XDA Thread and Google Play will receive constant update from me (for those who don't use Google Service can download the app directly from this thread). Moreover, XDA Thread will receive more frequent update (like what I have been doing)

Please spend time checking it out and give me some reviews :p It would encourage me a lot in further development of the app.

--------------------

One more thing, as I mentioned, my MHL adapter is broken. So can anyone with MHL adapter make a short Youtube demonstration clip for this little app so that I could add it to the Google Play page? I would be very very grateful.

Once again, I would like to express my deepest appreciation to everyone for helping me. Without you, this app is still a lost orphan thread sinking down somewhere in XDA.

CHEERS!