[Q] SOLVED: Help - KitKat upgrade from stock... ish.

Search This thread

Tim 13

Dec 28, 2011
So, I did a stupid thing this morning. I spent the last, probably, five hours backing up all of my apps and data from my TF300, and once that was all done, I wiped the data on my tablet. "What makes that stupid?" What makes that stupid is, it was a miracle that I ever actually managed to root this thing in the first place, and now, I don't know a) if it's still rooted (I doubt it), and b) if I'm even mentally capable of rooting it again (I doubt it).

So, here's my situation, and if someone could just dumb down the steps for me and point me in the right direction, that's all I need. I got my tablet, I don't know, probably early 2012. I can tell you that the tablet is on ICS 4.0.3, and the build number is 9.4.3.29-20120511. It's also unlocked, I don't know if that needed to be mentioned. Now, things are better since I wiped the data on this mother, but ICS, on this tablet in particular, is slow as balls, and I'm done with it, I want KitKat. But I am so far beyond lost after what I did that if I try to work my own way out of it, I'm going to brick this thing.

I wiped the data because I was trying to do something involving the Fastboot menu or something like that. Whenever I selected the USB icon and hit up on the volume strip, the tablet just locks cold. I figured whatever caused that, would probably go away with a data wipe. It didn't. So now my data's gone, my apps are gone, my tablet's not rooted anymore, I have no idea how to get to KitKat, I can't sleep at night, it burns when I pee... let's focus on the tablet stuff for now, I'm signed up to some forums for the other stuff.

I know most of the people that read this topic will be inclined to say, "You're an idiot, read this, this, and this, and take care of it yourself." I know I'm Androidiot, and I'm humbly asking for help. Again, I'm just petrified of following the wrong topic and ruining the whole thing, so if someone could tell me how I'd go about upgrading my tablet from stock ICS to KitKat, I'd appreciate the hell out of it.

Last edited:

Tim 13

Dec 28, 2011
Normally, you need to install the latest stock ROM from ASUS in order to recover a functional device & by the way upgrade your bootloader.
Things done, you can proceed to install recovery and kitkat.
Better explanations here : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53738192&postcount=2
Thank you, Zlazaar!

Well, it seems that after my device was wiped, it still didn't remove CWM as a bootloader or whatever, I don't know what I'm saying. When I hold down the power and volume down buttons, I could wait like ten seconds for fastboot, or I could tap vol up to enter the "RCK" menu. I don't know what that means. But I go into it, and I'm at the CWM menu, I think it was 5.5.0.4. You probably know better than me if I need to do anything further than that with CWM, but I should be good on that, right?

I'm almost going to go to the sites that you mentioned to download files and get more information on how to use it all. I appreciate your help, because without it, I'm sitting on an unrooted stock ROM with only most of my apps, because oh yeah, like 70 apps forgot to transfer with that backup I did... so, whoopee.

Thank you again, buddy!

zlazaar

Jun 6, 2014
The goal is kitkat, right ?
So, in order to get it you need 2 important things :

1- The latest bootloader, yours can't handle kitkat.
2- a custom recovery supporting kitkat, i.e i'm using TWRP 2.7.1.0 (link in my signature), your CWM is outdated.

The only way i know to update the bootloader is to flash Stock ROM via fastboot as described in tutorial.

Tim 13

Dec 28, 2011
I got some really stupid questions... apparently it's been entirely too long since I've messed with any of this.

What's a bootloader? I know mine's unlocked, but I didn't know there were versions of it. Is it the blob file I got from Asus?
And I have my tablet hooked up to my PC, it's on the fastboot menu wait for input from USB. When I go to the command prompt, I've tried to push TWRP to the device, but when I start a command with "adb push," it just tells me that it doesn't know what to do with that command. Same thing happened with fastboot, but then I realize I didn't have fastboot installed, so I tried to install it and it complained about a missing dll file on my computer, and I think I'm about ready to give up. lol

b..c

Jul 6, 2014
I got some really stupid questions... apparently it's been entirely too long since I've messed with any of this.

What's a bootloader? I know mine's unlocked, but I didn't know there were versions of it. Is it the blob file I got from Asus?
And I have my tablet hooked up to my PC, it's on the fastboot menu wait for input from USB. When I go to the command prompt, I've tried to push TWRP to the device, but when I start a command with "adb push," it just tells me that it doesn't know what to do with that command. Same thing happened with fastboot, but then I realize I didn't have fastboot installed, so I tried to install it and it complained about a missing dll file on my computer, and I think I'm about ready to give up. lol

Ok Tim so the GOAL IS: 4.4 KITKAT CORRECT?

This is the process overview. This is a review.

Step 1 Upgrade the bootloader. Why? Inorder to flash a 4.4 rom you need a Jelly Bean 4.2 bootloader. How? Do as zlazarr suggests by flashing the lastest stock version V10.6.1.27.5 on your tf300t. Flashing the latest stock rom will update your bootloader. And here's another helpful guide.

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-restore-asus-transformer-tf300t-back-to-stock/ Remember that the SKU has to match!

Step 2 Follow this guide.

http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...nstall-roms-tf300-jelly-bean-kitkat-roms.html

It guides you on how to unlock your bootloader which you already have and it shows you how to install twrp. After installing twrp MAKE A BACKUP!

NOTE: If using the command method on the link fails repetitively use the app rashr to install the twrp version in the link

Step 3 Upgrade twrp to vr 2.7.0.0 or higher. Refer to step 2 link on the post about 4.4 kitkat.

Step 4 Install a 4.4 kk rom. I recomend the lastest snapshot of Cyanogen Mod 11. The download is on their wiki.

And then your done! Don't give up! The hardest part I find is using the command prompt! Look for work arounds. AND SEARCH FOR METHODS!

Goodluck

Reactions: Tim 13

Tim 13

Dec 28, 2011

Step 1 Upgrade the bootloader. Why? Inorder to flash a 4.4 rom you need a Jelly Bean 4.2 bootloader. How? Do as zlazarr suggests by flashing the lastest stock version V10.6.1.27.5 on your tf300t. Flashing the latest stock rom will update your bootloader. And here's another helpful guide.

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-restore-asus-transformer-tf300t-back-to-stock/ Remember that the SKU has to match!

http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...nstall-roms-tf300-jelly-bean-kitkat-roms.html

It guides you on how to unlock your bootloader which you already have and it shows you how to install twrp. After installing twrp MAKE A BACKUP!

NOTE: If using the command method on the link fails repetitively use the app rashr to install the twrp version in the link

Step 3 Upgrade twrp to vr 2.7.0.0 or higher. Refer to step 2 link on the post about 4.4 kitkat.

Step 4 Install a 4.4 kk rom. I recomend the lastest snapshot of Cyanogen Mod 11. The download is on their wiki.

And then your done! Don't give up! The hardest part I find is using the command prompt! Look for work arounds. AND SEARCH FOR METHODS!

Goodluck

Okay, so I've started work on this finally, but I think I might be having some trouble. I flashed the latest stock ROM onto my baby and restarted the tab like the article said, but now it's taking a very long time to load. I don't know if it's supposed to be taking this long, considering I'm pretty sure it wiped the data on it (flashing a ROM wipes data, doesn't it?), so I'd assume that removing the weight of those apps would make startup lightning quick.

I have the ASUS logo and the spinny circle. And it's just spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning. Is this a problem?

I'm going to let it spin spin spin spin spin for like five more minutes, and then I might go cry for a while.

EDIT: I cried too soon, it loaded for a long time then came to a menu that says "Android is upgrading..." and it's optimizing the apps, or apptimizing, that were apparently NOT wiped when I flashed a new ROM. lol, so I'm back on track. So far, so good. Thank you for the detailed guide, I appreciate it!

Further edit: And I'm also done rooting and flashing to KK 4.4. Thank you for dumbass-proofing the process for me, it is incredibly highly appreciated. I didn't kill my tablet!

Last edited:

b..c

Jul 6, 2014
Okay, so I've started work on this finally, but I think I might be having some trouble. I flashed the latest stock ROM onto my baby and restarted the tab like the article said, but now it's taking a very long time to load. I don't know if it's supposed to be taking this long, considering I'm pretty sure it wiped the data on it (flashing a ROM wipes data, doesn't it?), so I'd assume that removing the weight of those apps would make startup lightning quick.

I have the ASUS logo and the spinny circle. And it's just spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning. Is this a problem?

I'm going to let it spin spin spin spin spin for like five more minutes, and then I might go cry for a while.

EDIT: I cried too soon, it loaded for a long time then came to a menu that says "Android is upgrading..." and it's optimizing the apps, or apptimizing, that were apparently NOT wiped when I flashed a new ROM. lol, so I'm back on track. So far, so good. Thank you for the detailed guide, I appreciate it!

Further edit: And I'm also done rooting and flashing to KK 4.4. Thank you for dumbass-proofing the process for me, it is incredibly highly appreciated. I didn't kill my tablet!

Hi Tim13,

I'm glad to hear that everything went well and my guide helped you!:good::) And to answer your question flashing doesn't wipe your data. You have to manually wipe it. And lol:laugh::good: that you didn't kill your tab. I hope you find your tab faster and useful again! :)

Tim 13

Dec 28, 2011
It's just as slow and useless as it was. But honestly, the flashing process was fun, and I learned from it. Plus, TWRP and Cyanogen mod are awesome, and now I know that. lol

Tim 13

Dec 28, 2011
No, I'm not gonna do that.

I'm just kidding. You're all right, darling. :good:

Edit: Actually, not being a douche, I can't figure out how to edit the thread title. I went to edit the first post and I can't change the title of the post... I'm gonna look around for how to do it a bit more but after that I'm gonna go to bed.
DOUBLE EDIT: Got it, as you can see. Thanks to all that helped out!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Normally, you need to install the latest stock ROM from ASUS in order to recover a functional device & by the way upgrade your bootloader.
    Things done, you can proceed to install recovery and kitkat.
    Better explanations here : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53738192&postcount=2

Goodluck