Search This thread

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hiya everyone. This type of thread isn't new to XDA as it's on almost every device fora, but I decided to bring it over here aswell.

I'm going to share the most useful applications I have on my S3 and would like you to share more must have apps to add to this list.

Check out post #2 for some of the best games on Android and check out post #3 for some of the best widgets we can use.

1. Power Toggles - This is simply the best toggle app around. Able to toggle lots of main features.

2. Picsay Pro - This is a brilliant photo editor, but limited compared to some others. My personal favourite.

3. Rotation Locker - WYSIWYG. It locks your screen to either Portrait or Landscape. Really useful on some apps.

4. XDA App ICS Blue Colours/Themed - Our favourite forum app but with a complete red or blue colour theme thanks to our own Whiskey103

5. Home Switcher - Switches between any Home Launchers you have on your device.

6. Memory Usage - Lists all current apps and tells you current memory usage, peak memory usage and priorities.

7. PicSpeed Wallpapers - Over 170,000 HD wallpapers of all different genres, for our device.

8. Bar Shortcut - This is for the people who want their home screen nice and clear.

9. Desktop Visualizer - Makes shortcuts or widgets using a custom image and can be used to make custom icons.

10. Wave Control - Execute actions by waving your hand over the screen.

11. Solid Explorer - Solid Explorer is a file manager which with two independent panels is the most attractive, eye catching and intuitive file manager for the Android.

12. PowerAmp - The most powerful music player there is.

13. SuperSU - SuperSU is the Superuser access management tool of the future. *ROOT*

14. ROM Toolbox Pro - ROM Toolbox combines apps like Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, ROM Manager and others. A must-have root app *ROOT*

15. AirDroid - For moving files between your PC and phone using WIFI

16. QuickPic - An alternate photo gallery app, incase you don't like the default

17. AdAway - AdAway is an open source ad blocker for Android. *ROOT*

18. Tasker - The best app of its kind. It does almost anything

19. MXPlayer - MXPlayer is one of the best apps for viewing movies.

20. Photo Timeline - Lets you create a time elapsed sequence of anything you want with your camera and then play as a slideshow

21. AVG Anti-Virus Pro - AntiVirus Pro is a mobile security solution that helps protect your mobile device from viruses, malware, spyware & online exploitation in real-time

22. Aldiko Book Reader - Read and download thousands of eBooks right on your Android phone or tablet.
Download one of the best Android eBook Readers now!

23. Dropbox - Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring all your photos, docs, and videos anywhere.

24. Cerebus - Cerberus is a complete anti-theft application, the best protection you can get to recover your misplaced, lost or stolen Android device.

25. ScreenCast - ScreenCast records your phones screen at high frame rates and makes a HQ MPEG4 video with audio.

26. WidgetLocker - Simply the most powerful lockscreen replacement app there is.

27. Watchdog Task Manager - Allows you to see which apps are acting up and need closing.

28. Skype - Free voice and video calls + IM to anyone else on Skype, whether they're on Android, iOS, Windows, Mac etc.

29. Tapatalk Forum App - If you're a member on multiple forums, then Tapatalk is the ultimate forum app you will find.

30. ProCapture - Capture photos and panoramas like a pro with the ProCapture camera app. ProCapture adds advanced features to the Android camera experience. Multiple advanced camera shooting modes supported: Timer, Burst, Reduced Noise, Wide Shot and Panorama.

31. Appy Geek - Appy Geek brings you all the leading tech news sources from the industry in a cleverly laid-out user interface, including TechRadar, Gizmodo, T3 Magazine, The Next Web and more... Staying at the cutting edge of innovation has never been so easy!

32. VLC for Android Beta - VLC media player is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player that plays most multimedia files as well as discs, devices, and network streaming protocols.

33. Dolphin Browser - Dolphin browser is the fastest, smoothest and best mobile browser, in my opinion. With Sonar voice recognition, gestures and multiple add-ons, this browser just gets better and better.

34. imo - Multiprotocol IM client - Support for Facebook Chat, Google Talk, Skype, MSN, ICQ/AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Jabber, Hyves, VKontakte and Steam

35. BetterBatteryStats - With BBS, you can analyze the behaviour of your phone, find out which apps are causing major battery drain and measure the effect of corrective actions.

36. app2zip - App2zip allows you to backup apps to a flashable zip file through CWM or TWRP. Simply choose which apps you want and then click GO.

37. Shorten - Simply a URL shortener which saves a lot of time rather than going onto the internet each time.

IF YOU'VE FOUND THIS POST, OR ANY OF THESE APPS USEFUL, BE SURE TO HIT THE THANKS BUTTON!

If you know any unique or useful applications, games or widgets please suggest them in this thread so I can check them out. If I think they're good, I'll add them to the list.

*NOTE* - If you wish to know what the best app is regarding your needs, ask in this thread and I, or others, will be able to help you out.
So, if you want to know what the best music player is, ask here and I'll suggest the best ones available.

If there are any apps that you feel shouldn't be in this list, please let me know and suggest a better one. I can then test it and maybe add it to the list, in place of the other one.
If you don't suggest a better app, I won't change anything.

Last edited:

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Must Have Apps on the Galaxy SIII

Due to popular demand via PMs, I've decided to add a slot to this thread to display some of the best games we can get on our Android device.

As with the app list above, if there's a great game you'd like to be added to this list, let me know and I may well add it in :)

1. Pool Break Lite - If you like to play pool, snooker, billiards etc. on the go then this is a great app you. There are a few different variations to play in either single player or multiplayer online mode and even more variations if you buy the pro version.

2. FIFA 12 - This game speaks for itself. It's the latest mobile version of the FIFA franchise and is easily the best so far, with it showing vast improvements. There's a load of different cups and leagues to play through and with great graphics with no lag in the slightest.

3. World Series Of Poker - Probably the best game from EA (in my opinion). If you like to play poker I totally recommend this game. You can play Texas Holdem and Omaha in either cash games, tournaments or play for a WSOP bracelet as the main prize. Guest mode is now available for no login from Facebook is needed.

4. iAssociate2 - This is a good choice if you prefer a bit of a brain tester. iAssociate2 is a word association game you have to figure out which words and phrases are associated to each other. Sound easy? Give it a try and you can soon find out differently.

5. Need For Speed Most Wanted - Another brilliant addition to the EA family, Most Wanted finally brings one of the best racing experiences to Android. It's a brilliant game all round but the only thing it's lacking, in my opinion, is 'free roam' mode. But apart from that, it brings brilliant graphics and flawless gameplay.

6. Grand Theft Auto III - Grand Theft Auto III was a crime game which changed the future of gaming and is amazing to play on the go with our Androids. The full console game with great graphics, full features and surprisingly no lag considering it's such a huge game. Countless hours of gameplay, HD quality resolution and visually stunning graphics make this a must for our devices.

Last edited:

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A

The idea to add widgets into this thread aswell was an idea taken from Goku80 and I hope you lot like it.
So, the list in this post is strictly for widgets. I'll add some widgets myself as a base, but as always feel free to suggest some of your favorite widgets and they may make it into this list.

1. Beautiful Widgets - Beautiful set of Widgets containing clock widget, clock and weather widget, weather widgets, date widgets and toggle widgets with skins/themes support!

2. Fancy Widgets - Personalize your Android home screen with highly customizable clock widgets, weather widgets, home (clock & weather) widgets, forecast widgets, and more with lots of customization options.

3. Ultimate custom widget (UCCW) - If you enjoy customizing the look of your homescreen then this is pretty much a MUST HAVE app for you. It allows the user to create their own pure custom clocks with a near endless array of options to customize it how they'd like. However you want it, you can make it with UCCW.

4. Desktop VisualizeR - Here's another really useful widget if you love to customize your screens. This gives you the ability to make shortcuts and widgets with any image you specify, rather than just the default logos. You can also use this app to give apps a custom icon of your own, which is handy if your icon design doesn't currently exist.

5. Minimalistic Text - Minimalistic Text is a widget app that displays information in a minimalistic way. It can be configured to display time, date, battery and weather information. The layout of the widget is highly customizable throughout.

6. Eye In The Sky Weather - This is for all those who like their weather clean, simple and beautiful. The app includes 12 of the best weather icon sets and the ability to add your own icon sets.

Last edited:

Master Ramy

Aug 28, 2011
Placentia, California
Hiya everyone. This type of thread isn't new to XDA as it's on almost every device fora, but I decided to bring it over here aswell.

I'm going to share the most useful applications I have on my S3 and would like you to share your must have apps. If an app gets mentioned by numerous people, that isn't on this list, I'll be sure to add it.

1. Power Toggles - This is simply the best toggle app around. Able to toggle lots of main features.

2. Picsay Pro - This is a brilliant photo editor, but limited compared to some others. My personal favourite.

3. Rotation Locker - WYSIWYG. It locks your screen to either Portrait or Landscape. Really useful on some apps.

4. XDA App ICS Blue Colours/Themed - Our favourite forum app but with a complete red or blue colour theme thanks to our own Whiskey103

5. Memory Usage - Lists all current apps and tells you current memory usage, peak memory usage and priorities.

6. Desktop Visualizer - Makes shortcuts or widgets using a custom image and can be used to make custom icons.

7. ES File Explorer File Manager - An all-in-one file/app manager, task killer, cloud storage and much more. Plus, it's free.

8. PowerAmp - The most powerful music player there is.

9. Superuser - Grant and manage Superuser right for your phone. *ROOT*

10. Titanium Backup - The most powerful backup tool on Android. Simple as that. *ROOT*

11. AirDroid - For moving files between your PC and phone using WIFI

12. AdFree for Android - Removes most ads in the browser and other apps. *ROOT*

13. Tasker - The best app of its kind. It does almost anything

14. MXPlayer - MXPlayer is one of the best apps for viewing movies.

15. Photo Timeline - Lets you create a time elapsed sequence of anything you want with your camera and then play as a slideshow

IF YOU'VE FOUND THIS POST, OR ANY OF THESE APPS USEFUL, INSTEAD OF POSTING THANKS, JUST USE THE BUTTON!

*NOTE* - If you wish to know what the best app is regarding your needs, ask in this thread and I, or others, will be able to help you out.
So, if you want to know what the best music player is, ask here and I'll suggest the best ones available.

If there are any apps that you feel shouldn't be in this list, please let me know and suggest a better one. I can then test it and maybe add it to the list, in place of the other one.

Replace titanium with ROM toolbox pro, then you'll have the most powerful and best root app :)

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

RPerry435

Nov 8, 2008
Widget locker. Allows you to completely revamp your lock screen by adding anything. Works with (disable lock screen for ex.) and without root..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: DrededStar87

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Last edited:

FrameCityJackal

Nov 4, 2010
Columbus
I'm gonna remove the ones that now aren't needed, in a few minutes. Just doing some updating :rolleyes:

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair

I'm just messin around man lol really though romtoolbox is the end all be all of root apps.
I've really never given TB a chance or used it that much.
May I suggest some apps
Apex Launcher- https://play.google.com/store/apps/...51bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hbmRkb2VzLmxhdW5jaGVyIl0

IMDb- https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5pbWRiLm1vYmlsZSJd

ClockQ-Digital Clock Widget- https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwxLDEsImN6LmtpbnN0Lmpha3ViLmNsb2NrcSJd

1Weather- https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xLDEsImNvbS5oYW5kbWFyay5leHByZXNzd2VhdGhlciJd

Wallbase HD Wallpapers- https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5jaXRjLndhbGxiYXNlIl0.

dtr145r

Nov 11, 2010
Pennsylvania
Notifier pro plus---gives you repeat notifications for apps you choose. great for when you get certain events or notifications you dont want to miss

auto wifi toggle-- lets you set up times through out the day that it triggers wifi. if there is no connection with in a set amount of time it turns back off. great for people who like to be connected to wifi. saves battery because wifi isnt always on.

screen on app that keeps the screen on when in apps you choose. great for well pretty much every app that you want the screen to stay on :)

screen caster app that records the android screen. great for if you want to show a but to a dev or show an app to a friend. you can record the screen, it can also record your voice so you can explain whats going on. you can then load it to youtube.

droid wall great security app that actually works. when set up it block incoming and outgoing data connections. with this app you can ensure that none of your data is leaving your phone with out you knowing. note that if one of your apps isnt working you may need to check what you have set up.

Lux auto brightness a screen brightness app that works very wekk when set up properly. helps me save battery. also great for at night with a loer brightness. the screen no longer hurts my eyes when i first turn it on.

Smart screen off good app for turning off the screen. uses the proximity sensor to turn off the screen if its covered for a certain period of time. great so you dont pocket dial!

this is just some of my collection that ive been gathering over the years.

most of these app are paid apps but trust me they are good ones.
hope you like them!!!!

Reactions: musclehead84

hayzooos

Mar 10, 2011
Illinois
LBE Privacy Guard is a great security app as well. Allows you to manage and change any permission on any app. For example, if some apps want GPS (Angry Birds Space) and will automatically turn it on for location based ads, you deny it right off the bat.

Anytime you install an app from the store, a notification will allow you to manage the permissions for that app before you ever launch it.

Another one would be Avast. A security app that does all kinds of things I don't even know what they are. Have the ability to install at kernel level if rooted too, which could be beneficial.

Reactions: Naddict

DrKaotica

Feb 18, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Zedge should probably be in there somewhere.

Never really used romtoolbox.. I've never had a reason..

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
I'm not gonna be adding any lockscreens or launchers to the list because there's already tons of threads on each forum that go into detail about them. You're all welcome to post them in your own list as a couple of you have :)

I'm not too sure on which security app I'll add yet because I haven't really tried many yet.

I'm also undecided about a wallpapers app at the moment. I used to use Zedge until I found out about PicSpeed HD Wallpapers and I've used it since. Then there's Wallbase HD Wallpapers that FrameCityJackal mentioned aswell.
Any other wallpaper apps I should check out?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm going to share the most useful applications I have on my S3 and would like you to share more must have apps to add to this list.

Check out post #2 for some of the best games on Android and check out post #3 for some of the best widgets we can use.

5. Home Switcher - Switches between any Home Launchers you have on your device.

6. Memory Usage - Lists all current apps and tells you current memory usage, peak memory usage and priorities.

7. PicSpeed Wallpapers - Over 170,000 HD wallpapers of all different genres, for our device.

8. Bar Shortcut - This is for the people who want their home screen nice and clear.

9. Desktop Visualizer - Makes shortcuts or widgets using a custom image and can be used to make custom icons.

10. Wave Control - Execute actions by waving your hand over the screen.

11. Solid Explorer - Solid Explorer is a file manager which with two independent panels is the most attractive, eye catching and intuitive file manager for the Android.

12. PowerAmp - The most powerful music player there is.

13. SuperSU - SuperSU is the Superuser access management tool of the future. *ROOT*

14. ROM Toolbox Pro - ROM Toolbox combines apps like Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, ROM Manager and others. A must-have root app *ROOT*

15. AirDroid - For moving files between your PC and phone using WIFI

16. QuickPic - An alternate photo gallery app, incase you don't like the default

17. AdAway - AdAway is an open source ad blocker for Android. *ROOT*

18. Tasker - The best app of its kind. It does almost anything

19. MXPlayer - MXPlayer is one of the best apps for viewing movies.

20. Photo Timeline - Lets you create a time elapsed sequence of anything you want with your camera and then play as a slideshow

21. AVG Anti-Virus Pro - AntiVirus Pro is a mobile security solution that helps protect your mobile device from viruses, malware, spyware & online exploitation in real-time

22. Aldiko Book Reader - Read and download thousands of eBooks right on your Android phone or tablet.
    Download one of the best Android eBook Readers now!

23. Dropbox - Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring all your photos, docs, and videos anywhere.

24. Cerebus - Cerberus is a complete anti-theft application, the best protection you can get to recover your misplaced, lost or stolen Android device.

25. ScreenCast - ScreenCast records your phones screen at high frame rates and makes a HQ MPEG4 video with audio.

26. WidgetLocker - Simply the most powerful lockscreen replacement app there is.

27. Watchdog Task Manager - Allows you to see which apps are acting up and need closing.

28. Skype - Free voice and video calls + IM to anyone else on Skype, whether they're on Android, iOS, Windows, Mac etc.

29. Tapatalk Forum App - If you're a member on multiple forums, then Tapatalk is the ultimate forum app you will find.

30. ProCapture - Capture photos and panoramas like a pro with the ProCapture camera app. ProCapture adds advanced features to the Android camera experience. Multiple advanced camera shooting modes supported: Timer, Burst, Reduced Noise, Wide Shot and Panorama.

31. Appy Geek - Appy Geek brings you all the leading tech news sources from the industry in a cleverly laid-out user interface, including TechRadar, Gizmodo, T3 Magazine, The Next Web and more... Staying at the cutting edge of innovation has never been so easy!

32. VLC for Android Beta - VLC media player is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player that plays most multimedia files as well as discs, devices, and network streaming protocols.

33. Dolphin Browser - Dolphin browser is the fastest, smoothest and best mobile browser, in my opinion. With Sonar voice recognition, gestures and multiple add-ons, this browser just gets better and better.

34. imo - Multiprotocol IM client - Support for Facebook Chat, Google Talk, Skype, MSN, ICQ/AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Jabber, Hyves, VKontakte and Steam

35. BetterBatteryStats - With BBS, you can analyze the behaviour of your phone, find out which apps are causing major battery drain and measure the effect of corrective actions.

36. app2zip - App2zip allows you to backup apps to a flashable zip file through CWM or TWRP. Simply choose which apps you want and then click GO.

37. Shorten - Simply a URL shortener which saves a lot of time rather than going onto the internet each time.

IF YOU'VE FOUND THIS POST, OR ANY OF THESE APPS USEFUL, BE SURE TO HIT THE THANKS BUTTON!

If you know any unique or useful applications, games or widgets please suggest them in this thread so I can check them out. If I think they're good, I'll add them to the list.

I'm going to share the most useful applications I have on my S3 and would like you to share your must have apps. If an app gets mentioned by numerous people, that isn't on this list, I'll be sure to add it.

5. Memory Usage - Lists all current apps and tells you current memory usage, peak memory usage and priorities.

6. Desktop Visualizer - Makes shortcuts or widgets using a custom image and can be used to make custom icons.

7. ES File Explorer File Manager - An all-in-one file/app manager, task killer, cloud storage and much more. Plus, it's free.

8. PowerAmp - The most powerful music player there is.

9. Superuser - Grant and manage Superuser right for your phone. *ROOT*

10. Titanium Backup - The most powerful backup tool on Android. Simple as that. *ROOT*

11. AirDroid - For moving files between your PC and phone using WIFI

12. AdFree for Android - Removes most ads in the browser and other apps. *ROOT*

13. Tasker - The best app of its kind. It does almost anything

14. MXPlayer - MXPlayer is one of the best apps for viewing movies.

15. Photo Timeline - Lets you create a time elapsed sequence of anything you want with your camera and then play as a slideshow

IF YOU'VE FOUND THIS POST, OR ANY OF THESE APPS USEFUL, INSTEAD OF POSTING THANKS, JUST USE THE BUTTON!

Replace titanium with ROM toolbox pro, then you'll have the most powerful and best root app :)

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

The idea to add widgets into this thread aswell was an idea taken from Goku80 and I hope you lot like it.
    So, the list in this post is strictly for widgets. I'll add some widgets myself as a base, but as always feel free to suggest some of your favorite widgets and they may make it into this list.

1. Beautiful Widgets - Beautiful set of Widgets containing clock widget, clock and weather widget, weather widgets, date widgets and toggle widgets with skins/themes support!

2. Fancy Widgets - Personalize your Android home screen with highly customizable clock widgets, weather widgets, home (clock & weather) widgets, forecast widgets, and more with lots of customization options.

3. Ultimate custom widget (UCCW) - If you enjoy customizing the look of your homescreen then this is pretty much a MUST HAVE app for you. It allows the user to create their own pure custom clocks with a near endless array of options to customize it how they'd like. However you want it, you can make it with UCCW.

4. Desktop VisualizeR - Here's another really useful widget if you love to customize your screens. This gives you the ability to make shortcuts and widgets with any image you specify, rather than just the default logos. You can also use this app to give apps a custom icon of your own, which is handy if your icon design doesn't currently exist.

5. Minimalistic Text - Minimalistic Text is a widget app that displays information in a minimalistic way. It can be configured to display time, date, battery and weather information. The layout of the widget is highly customizable throughout.

6. Eye In The Sky Weather - This is for all those who like their weather clean, simple and beautiful. The app includes 12 of the best weather icon sets and the ability to add your own icon sets.
    Waze is a pretty good navigation app.

I'm gonna remove the ones that now aren't needed, in a few minutes. Just doing some updating :rolleyes:

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair

I'm just messin around man lol really though romtoolbox is the end all be all of root apps.
    I've really never given TB a chance or used it that much.
    May I suggest some apps
    Apex Launcher- https://play.google.com/store/apps/...51bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hbmRkb2VzLmxhdW5jaGVyIl0

IMDb- https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5pbWRiLm1vYmlsZSJd

ClockQ-Digital Clock Widget- https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwxLDEsImN6LmtpbnN0Lmpha3ViLmNsb2NrcSJd

1Weather- https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xLDEsImNvbS5oYW5kbWFyay5leHByZXNzd2VhdGhlciJd

Wallbase HD Wallpapers- https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5jaXRjLndhbGxiYXNlIl0.