T-Mobile myTouch 4G GB Upgrade (Rooted & Unrooted)

Search This thread

febycv

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 14, 2011
Michigan
Most of the users find it difficult to get the right Rom to upgrade from stock 2.2.1 to 2.3.4 .
Some of the rooted users find it difficult to accept the fact that they will lose root privilage after the upgrade.
This post provides you all the detailed information regarding the Stock 2.3.4 update.
There are two versions listed here, one for the unrooted & other for the rooted.

This post is made in simple language so that anyone can understand.

Before you begin, make sure that fast boot is turned off.

Official Upgrade to stock 2.3.4 Rom (Unrooted)

Always remember that this is the official update from the T-Mobile SD Card, so even if you are rooted or Unrooted, you will lose your root privilege.
A Big Thanks to Gr33nF0x for his great work.

Procedure

1. Download the official 2.3.4 rom here.
2. Place it on the root of your sd card.
3. Switch On your phone while holding the Power button & the down volume button.
4. The bootloader menu will update your phone (do according to the instructions).

Now reboot & enjoy your update......

Rooted Version of stock 2.3.4 Rom

This Rom is for the rooted user, who wish to enjoy the new T-Mobile 2.3.4 update without losing their root privilege.

You should have a Permanent rooted device (with S-OFF), Latest Rom Manager & ClockworkMod Recovery Installed.
Also I recommend you to update your BusyBox.

Procedure

1. Download the rooted 2.3.4 stock Rom here.
2. Do a Nandroid backup.
3. Make a Full Wipe (data, cache & dalvik).
4. Reboot to Recovery & Flash the Rom.

How to Flash GB Radio to fix any GPS issue

1. Download the latest GB radio for the HTC Glacier (12.62.60.27_26.13.04.19).
2. Make sure the filename is PD15IMG.zip exactly or it will not work and copy it to the root of the SD Card.
3. Now reboot into bootloader
4. The bootloader will scan for the radio update. Once it finds the update, select Yes.
5. Allow the bootloader to finish flashing the updated radio, and reboot the device.

Some of the users reported bugs in the GPS, so if you are having this issue try the rooted 2.3.3 Rom. It's bug free. You can download it here.

This is a preview of the official Rom......Have a look at it......

Last edited:

jr_718

Jul 10, 2011
Good work.. Thanks..this is the real deal.. the other one (the first posted official update) was missing the system widgets. I don't think everyone noticed it.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

dbm0361

Apr 26, 2008
Can I rename it and flash from SD like the update I have s - off because I was root on 2. 2 so I updated store but kept soff can I just rename. The rooted version. And let SD hoot so it

Sent from my HTC Glacier

Last edited:

febycv

Jul 14, 2011
Michigan
Can I rename it and flash from SD like the update I have s - off because I was root on 2. 2 so I updated store but kept soff can I just rename. The rooted version. And let SD hoot so it

Sent from my HTC Glacier
You can't rename and boot it in your bootloader like the official update.

This rom is designed to flash only through recovery.

The stock rom is modified, rooted & busybox is also added.

So try to flash through recovery only.......don't try to do the bootloader method.

netter123

Oct 30, 2010
In terms of upgrading using the unrooted method and the official 2.3.4 rom (1st method), will all apps and settings be preserved? Or will it be a fresh install?

febycv

Jul 14, 2011
Michigan
In terms of upgrading using the unrooted method and the official 2.3.4 rom (1st method), will all apps and settings be preserved? Or will it be a fresh install?
The first method is a fresh installation, just same as that you do in a T-mobile store.
The Rom itself is copied from the T-Mobile Sd Card.

So, you will lose all the data in your phone memory, the sd card will be unaffected.

dbm0361

Apr 26, 2008

So try to flash through recovery only.......don't try to do the bootloader method.

But if Rom manager don't work how can I I. Was rooted before update

Sent from my HTC Glacier

febycv

Jul 14, 2011
Michigan
So have you updated to stock 2.3.4 from T-Mobile store...????

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

febycv

Jul 14, 2011
Michigan
So if you want to enjoy root privilege, you should downgrade from 2.3.4 to stock 2.2.1 and then do a permroot.

Just follow this steps for an error free downgrade.

1. Download the stock 2.2.1 rom here.
2. Rename it to PD15IMG.zip
3. Remove the battery and Switch On your phone while holding the Power button & the down volume button.
4. The hboot menu will update your phone (do according to the hboot instructions).

The original bootloader is 0.86.0000

Now reboot & enjoy your update......This is the original T-mobile 2.2.1 version....so no worries.....

After that you need to root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery. Follow this post.

When you are permrooted, you can install rooted 2.3.4 Rom using Recovery.

Last edited:

dbm0361

Apr 26, 2008
Cool Ty so the rooted version is same as the one from t-mobile update just rooted

Sent from my HTC Glacier

dbm0361

Apr 26, 2008
I downloaded the rooted one and the 2. 2. Went to hboot and some how it poped up cwm was not even installed I just choose the rooted one reboot and bam did not loose no apps or data

Sent from my HTC Glacier

l2afa

Oct 5, 2010
i tryied to downgrade but says the version is too older please reboot, i am on version 2.3.4 official i want to install 2.3.4 cyanogen or a custum rom but i cant because i lose the root an the mytouch is s=On im going crazyyyy

dbm0361

Apr 26, 2008
My s was off because was rooted before I went in store and them update it but s-off stayed for me nice part was I did not have to downgrade

Sent from my HTC Glacier

m2j3sahagon

Aug 20, 2010
I just rooted my phone Stock 2.3.4 (GB) by downgrading using the Permanent S-OFF (gfree). I loaded the Stock Rooted posted here, everything works but the GPS. The GPS icon is not showing eventhough I have it clicked on. When using navigation it just said "Searching for GPS" and will not lock to any GPS signal. Anyone having the same issue?

I tried a different ROM Virtous Unity and the GPS is working fine, then switched back to Rooted Stock 2.3.4 same issue.

febycv

Jul 14, 2011
Michigan
The GPS issue....

Some of the users reported bugs in the rooted stock Rom......

So if you are experiencing this problem try reflashing. If this didn't work out well for you, Try this alternative.

Download the rooted 2.3.3 Rom. It's bug free. You can download it here.

If you are experiencing any bugs in the listed Roms, please report.....:)

Last edited:
Reactions: damastah

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Most of the users find it difficult to get the right Rom to upgrade from stock 2.2.1 to 2.3.4 .
    Some of the rooted users find it difficult to accept the fact that they will lose root privilage after the upgrade.
    This post provides you all the detailed information regarding the Stock 2.3.4 update.
    There are two versions listed here, one for the unrooted & other for the rooted.

This post is made in simple language so that anyone can understand.

Before you begin, make sure that fast boot is turned off.

Official Upgrade to stock 2.3.4 Rom (Unrooted)

Always remember that this is the official update from the T-Mobile SD Card, so even if you are rooted or Unrooted, you will lose your root privilege.
    A Big Thanks to Gr33nF0x for his great work.

Procedure

1. Download the official 2.3.4 rom here.
    3. Switch On your phone while holding the Power button & the down volume button.
    4. The bootloader menu will update your phone (do according to the instructions).

Rooted Version of stock 2.3.4 Rom

This Rom is for the rooted user, who wish to enjoy the new T-Mobile 2.3.4 update without losing their root privilege.

You should have a Permanent rooted device (with S-OFF), Latest Rom Manager & ClockworkMod Recovery Installed.
    Also I recommend you to update your BusyBox.

Procedure

1. Download the rooted 2.3.4 stock Rom here.
    2. Do a Nandroid backup.
    3. Make a Full Wipe (data, cache & dalvik).
    4. Reboot to Recovery & Flash the Rom.

How to Flash GB Radio to fix any GPS issue

1. Download the latest GB radio for the HTC Glacier (12.62.60.27_26.13.04.19).
    2. Make sure the filename is PD15IMG.zip exactly or it will not work and copy it to the root of the SD Card.
    3. Now reboot into bootloader
    4. The bootloader will scan for the radio update. Once it finds the update, select Yes.
    5. Allow the bootloader to finish flashing the updated radio, and reboot the device.

Some of the users reported bugs in the GPS, so if you are having this issue try the rooted 2.3.3 Rom. It's bug free. You can download it here.

This is a preview of the official Rom......Have a look at it......
    Link!

same here, there are "debloated" stocked rooted 2.3.4 rom but there arn't any working links for non-debloated rom

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...23rooted.zip&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13606916471344
    can someone plz reup the unrooted version?
    thanks

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1476745

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Sent from my HTC Glacier

So if you want to enjoy root privilege, you should downgrade from 2.3.4 to stock 2.2.1 and then do a permroot.

Just follow this steps for an error free downgrade.

1. Download the stock 2.2.1 rom here.
    2. Rename it to PD15IMG.zip
    3. Remove the battery and Switch On your phone while holding the Power button & the down volume button.
    4. The hboot menu will update your phone (do according to the hboot instructions).

The original bootloader is 0.86.0000

Now reboot & enjoy your update......This is the original T-mobile 2.2.1 version....so no worries.....

After that you need to root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery. Follow this post.

When you are permrooted, you can install rooted 2.3.4 Rom using Recovery.