USB host cable for $5 on Amazon with Prime (works)

Search This thread

Facegarden

Apr 3, 2006
So, this works:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FUNYSA/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

However, it doesn't work for everything. A mouse works, but a USB Flash Drive doesn't seem to work, nor does another USB device that does work on the Acer A500 Android tablet I have.

So... Yeah. Just thought you guys would wanna know. I'll look into more devices. I know Honeycomb supported all kinds of USB devices (hub, flash drive, mouse, keyboard) so I'm a little surprised the flash drive didn't work. I'll let you know if I find anything else out. Might just be a driver issue we can work out with custom ROMS. Obviously the communications is working since the mouse works. It could be a power draw issue. I have a USB power meter and the mouse draws 20ma. The flash drive that doesn't work draws 60ma.

-Taylor

UPDATE: Works great with a device we are developing at work (basically a USB hub and FTDI chip combo board if that means anything to ya). It draws about 62ma, so the flash drive issue must not be due to power draw.

UPDATE 2: Rooted users can easily mount flash drives using the app StickMount in the market - its very clean and works well! Thanks to user [esoomenona] for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Facegarden

Apr 3, 2006
Would something like This work?

Actually it looks like no. One of the reviews points out its not a USB OTG (On the go) adapter. USB On the go is a USB port that can act either as a device (plug it into your computer) or as a host (plug in a mouse, etc). In order to tell the phone which mode to be in, USB OTG connectors need to have one of the pins hooked up to ground. Unfortunately not all of these adapters do (I have no idea what they're good for if they don't) and it looks like that one doesn't. But someone linked to the one on DealExtreme that might work.

Do you get a cursor if you plug in a mouse?

Sure do! Its pretty nifty.

Thank you I was looking for something like this. Finding the right cable on Amazon is like a needle in a hay stack.

Eh I just found a cheap one that looked ok and said it worked with some Samsung devices. I'm also happy its right angle, as its more pocketable. But glad to help!

-Taylor

Reactions: subvertz

esoomenona

Jan 5, 2009
Okay, so I received the cable I stated above, and tried to plug in a microSD card via USB adapter, and it didn't work. After a bit of googling, I've come to think of two options for why it doesn't:

1. The cable doesn't work
2. The OS doesn't seem to mount them automatically. I found an app called StickMount on the Market, but it requires root, and I haven't rooted yet.

Anyone know anything about this?

Facegarden

Apr 3, 2006
Okay, so I received the cable I stated above, and tried to plug in a microSD card via USB adapter, and it didn't work. After a bit of googling, I've come to think of two options for why it doesn't:

2. The OS doesn't seem to mount them automatically. I found an app called StickMount on the Market, but it requires root, and I haven't rooted yet.

Well I mentioned in the first post that USB flash drives don't work. A card reader is going to have the same issue, as they're basically the same. I think its related to the phone not having its own microSD card, and so it lacks the drivers to mount storage properly. Which still seems silly to me if the device has USB host support, they should include those things!

Plug in a mouse. If a mouse works, the cable is fine.

jordo_99

Oct 11, 2010

I honestly think this is going to be it...because of internal storage it doesn't come with the native ability to detect external storage. I'd imagine that app would allow it or that it'll get pushed out as an update down the road...maybe a MOD will get made too if it takes too long.

Either way, when mine comes *crosses fingers for tomorrow* I'll be rooting and post back the results.

Facegarden

Apr 3, 2006
Oh damn, StickMount works! Plug in a USB drive and stickmount will pop up asking to run. Then it mounts the drive and my file browser sees it. Then you unmount the drive before unplugging. Wish it was native but this is pretty damn simple. Thanks for finding it!

I was a bit skeptical since the USB drive doesn't even light up when you first plug it in, but once you run stickmount its all good!

Go ahead and root that thing! Just note rooting will erase the phone, so back up first!

Reactions: VivianC

nosit1

May 19, 2010
Arizona
I had a Micro USB to USB female for my Nook Color for UBS host. Tried it. Worked like a charm. It even drew enough to power a hub, the keyboard, and the mouse. I was shocked. Im going to but a splitter and use a MHL out to HDMI for 1080 goodness.

Got mine on Amazon for $1.46. Works well (I just wish it was a cable and not a plug though(.

wonshikee

Nov 11, 2011
I'll have to see how this works out, ordered the cable.

I have an externally powered USB hub that I can plug into the USB OTG cable.

MrBig0

Aug 26, 2010
This is great, I've been looking for these cables. Thanks!
Edit: Does anyone have any idea if you can use an MHL adapter for HDMI at the same time as one of these? I see that some MHL adapters have charging ports, but I don't know if they support data.

Last edited:

esoomenona

Jan 5, 2009
Alright, I typed this with a mouse and it's slow, but cool. Guess it's time to root. See you on the other side.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, this works:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FUNYSA/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

However, it doesn't work for everything. A mouse works, but a USB Flash Drive doesn't seem to work, nor does another USB device that does work on the Acer A500 Android tablet I have.

So... Yeah. Just thought you guys would wanna know. I'll look into more devices. I know Honeycomb supported all kinds of USB devices (hub, flash drive, mouse, keyboard) so I'm a little surprised the flash drive didn't work. I'll let you know if I find anything else out. Might just be a driver issue we can work out with custom ROMS. Obviously the communications is working since the mouse works. It could be a power draw issue. I have a USB power meter and the mouse draws 20ma. The flash drive that doesn't work draws 60ma.

-Taylor

UPDATE: Works great with a device we are developing at work (basically a USB hub and FTDI chip combo board if that means anything to ya). It draws about 62ma, so the flash drive issue must not be due to power draw.

UPDATE 2: Rooted users can easily mount flash drives using the app StickMount in the market - its very clean and works well! Thanks to user [esoomenona] for the suggestion.

For who lives outside the USA, buy this with international free shipping: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-fe...a-cable-for-samsung-i9100-galaxy-s2-5cm-67186

The only cons is that can take a while to arrive.
    Im going to buy a splitter and use a MHL out to HDMI for 1080 goodness.
    Using MHL through a splitter won't work based on how MHL works. You either get USB or MHL. MHL does not use USB-compatible signaling.