[ROM][NC] Unofficial CM9 Nightly builds - with/without OpenGL

Search This thread
See my edit above. That could be the difference.

Edit: Actually I had disabled a few more that I did not list above, Exchange Services, OpenWnn (alternate language for keyboard), and one with oriental characters (also a language).

leapinlar, i took your advice and tried disabling as many apps, especially stock apps that i dont use to see if it would make it any better...

WOW. i have been using cm9, the 6/15 openGL build for over an hour on my SD with only one FC on dolphinHD after doing my daily trudge through 1000+ articles on the google reader app. i would have to say that that is the first time that i have been able to do that using cm9. this SD install should also be configured with v6 super charger, if that makes any difference in my little experiment. for reference, the SD card is a sandisk 32gb, CL4 with decent performance: Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.025 MB/s.

i wonder if its the accumulation of all the other apps or perhaps its just one of two of the apps that is causing the freezing that we are having on the nook with beta cm9. i wonder if it would be beneficial to try systematically re-enabling some of the more background (updating/syncing) apps to see if they are causing the freezing or not.

to access and disable apps, go to settings / devices / apps / all (hidden in portrait view), scroll far right
select an app, choose disable (unless its greyed out)

i googled a couple of these and found that other devices said its safe to disable some of these apps, but your mileage may vary if you do use them

what i have disabled:
android keyboard
apollo
black hole
browser
bubbles
calendar (645kb)
calendar (0.89mb) perhaps the data?
camera
clock
com.android.wallpaper.holospiral
download manager
drm protected content storage
email
exchange services
google bookmarks sync
google search
html viewer
magic smoke wallpapers
market feedback agent
market updater
movie studio
music
music visualization wallpapers
my uploads
news & weather
openwnn
phase beam
pico tts
rom manager
search
sound recorder
themes provider
voice dialer
voice search
[what are either japanese or chinese characters; icon is blue circle with one character, along with red circle behind and smaller yellow circle bottom right hand corner)]

there are several android icon apps that have disable greyed-out, guessing that they are required system apps that cannot be disabled.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
leapinlar, i took your advice and tried disabling as many apps, especially stock apps that i dont use to see if it would make it any better...

to access and disable apps, go to settings / devices / apps / all (hidden in portrait view), scroll far right

i googled a couple of these and found that other devices said its safe to disable some of these apps, but your mileage may vary if you do use them

what i have disabled:
android keyboard
apollo
black hole
browser
bubbles
calendar (645kb)
camera
clock
download manager
email
exchange services
google bookmarks sync
google search
html viewer
magic smoke wallpapers
market feedback agent
market updater
movie studio
music
my uploads
news & weather
openwnn
phase beam
pico tts
rom manager
search
sound recorder
themes provider
voice dialer
voice search
[what are either japanese or chinese characters; icon is blue circle with one character, along with red circle behind and smaller yellow circle bottom right hand corner)].
Seeing that you have two calendar apps makes me think you have some older stuff on there from way back. Early in the sneekpeek days and shortly after, and with the first set of gapps, there was a problem of duplication of apps. And since the SD installer script does not format /system as part of its installation process, some old stuff may still be there and may be contributing to your problem. And two calendars was one of those.

I modified the installer script to delete these duplicate apps. You should go to my tips thread linked in my signature and look at item B2. It links you to my updated script and tells you how to easily install it. Also you should update to the latest ics gapps (4-29).

I recommend re-enabling both calendars, google search and search, then putting my new script on the boot partition along with the same CM ROM you flashed last and the newest gapps and flash those. As it installs those, the duplicates will be deleted. Then you can go back in and disable those you don't want.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: freonchill

yelloguy

Jun 24, 2011
Thanks so much for the useful info above. My card is a SanDisk CL4 which ran CM7 without any issues so I doubt it is a card problem. But I have seen stranger things so I wouldn't be surprised if it is. I have another 16GB SanDisk card lying around, I will try that next.

I installed 6/20 open gl build last night on the same old card. If I have a freeze, I will start disabling apps one-by-one.

Thanks again.

Edit: Had a freeze soon after I disabled the first app (Google Voice Search). I am going to try rooting Stock.

Last edited:

MechaGen

Sep 9, 2008
Puyallup WA
Samsung Galaxy S20

WOW. i have been using cm9, the 6/15 openGL build for over an hour on my SD with only one FC on dolphinHD after doing my daily trudge through 1000+ articles on the google reader app. i would have to say that that is the first time that i have been able to do that using cm9. this SD install should also be configured with v6 super charger, if that makes any difference in my little experiment. for reference, the SD card is a sandisk 32gb, CL4 with decent performance: Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.025 MB/s.

i wonder if its the accumulation of all the other apps or perhaps its just one of two of the apps that is causing the freezing that we are having on the nook with beta cm9. i wonder if it would be beneficial to try systematically re-enabling some of the more background (updating/syncing) apps to see if they are causing the freezing or not.

what i have disabled:
android keyboard
apollo
black hole
browser
bubbles
calendar (645kb)
camera
clock
download manager
email
exchange services
google bookmarks sync
google search
html viewer
magic smoke wallpapers
market feedback agent
market updater
movie studio
music
my uploads
news & weather
openwnn
phase beam
pico tts
rom manager
search
sound recorder
themes provider
voice dialer
voice search
[what are either japanese or chinese characters; icon is blue circle with one character, along with red circle behind and smaller yellow circle bottom right hand corner)]

there are several android icon apps that have disable greyed-out, guessing that they are required system apps that cannot be disabled.

If you "Disable" an app it disappears from the list. How do you "Enable" it if you want it back?

Edit:
Sorry, I scrolled down to the bottom of the list and see the Disabled apps.

Sent from G-Note

Last edited:

cybertimber2007

Oct 31, 2007
keep getting: "encryption unsuccessful" message while booting latest builds on sdcard with verygreen's method, what can i do?
Does anyone have a solution for this? I got it with the 6/19 build, clean install on SD card with Cyanoboot. No amount of reboots/reset fixes it, so it looks like it ends with a clean install.

fastoy

Jan 1, 2009
Southaven
benmoore.info
Thanks so much for the useful info above. My card is a SanDisk CL4 which ran CM7 without any issues so I doubt it is a card problem. But I have seen stranger things so I wouldn't be surprised if it is. I have another 16GB SanDisk card lying around, I will try that next.

I installed 6/20 open gl build last night on the same old card. If I have a freeze, I will start disabling apps one-by-one.

Thanks again.

Edit: Had a freeze soon after I disabled the first app (Google Voice Search). I am going to try rooting Stock.

I'm running eyeballer's non-OpenGL from 06/12/12 and leapinlar's scripts (they cleaned up duplicate apps) with no apps disabled. Very solid. I'm on a Sandisk 8GB Class 4 uSD. I'm overclocked to 1100 mHz.

glgehman

Jan 28, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm running eyeballer's non-OpenGL from 06/12/12 and leapinlar's scripts (they cleaned up duplicate apps) with no apps disabled. Very solid. I'm on a Sandisk 8GB Class 4 uSD. I'm overclocked to 1100 mHz.

First of all, thanks and props to all the Nook Devs here for all the work they've done. Especially to Eyeballer, whose name I see in all the forums for all the devices I happen to own!

Is it, perhaps, time for a non-nightly CM9 roll-up thread with a package where you format System and Data, as well as Cache and Dalvik? I first started using Sam's nightlies back around January/February, and then Eyeballer's and had great success with them. I have one Nook with an April build on it that's really solid and fast, still. But the tablets that I've been updating with May and June builds are less and less stable. Freeze ups. WiFi weirdness.

At this point, I'm only a casual Nook Color user. I can't afford to spend a bunch of time investigating possible causes or reading 800 messages into a thread to find the stupid mistake I'm making. It's actually less work for me to completely wipe a machine and restore from backups. And as far as frequency of updates: monthly or bi-monthly is probably as much churn as I'm willing to absorb.

I know what I'm describing would be a lot of work for somebody, and you all are really busy already. It's just odd that we have here two (three, counting Dalingren's?) separate threads pursuing incremental nightly builds while the forums for other devices (phones!) spawn dozens of complete (often indistinguishable) Kangs.

Just the opinion of one faithful Nook Color user with too many other, newer devices to play with. As I said, thanks for everything!

glg

P.S.: Is there any way to remove goo manager? Its notifications are hideous and I never use it for updates.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
P.S.: Is there any way to remove goo manager? Its notifications are hideous and I never use it for updates.
You can disable the notifications. Just open Goo Manager, go to settings and open ROM update check frequency and select never.

Or, if you want to completely disable the app, go to settings, apps, and select all and Goo Manager. In the upper right hand corner will be either 'disable' or 'uninstall updates'. If it says uninstall, do that first and come back and it will say 'disable'. Do that. Once disabled it will no longer show in your app drawer or run. If you want to re-enable, go back to settings/apps/all again and scroll to the bottom and select it and choose 'enable'.

Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
I have been using CM9 on the Nook since the early days of hidden links but I am getting a little frustrated with the freezing and SOD problems.

First of all, thanks to all the devs for pumping their free time into this project. Now, I have been using Eyeballers version for the last few months and have noticed progress. I have mostly used opengl version and had bad battery life and a complete freeze issues. So I read on this thread that non-opengl is better. So for my last flash, I tried that version from some two weeks ago. But that version is giving me the exact same problems of occasionally freezing AND it has SOD problems as well. So I am downloading the opengl from last night as I type this. Just wanted to ask if others are also noticing bad battery life (maybe a day tops) and almost a daily freeze? I stopped using Chrome because I thought that was the culprit. But it happens in other apps too now.

I am willing to try a complete rebuild of my sd card if that fixes it. Otherwise I might go to rooted stock and install the few apps I use everyday. That should give me better battery life and no freezes.

Thanks for any advice.
I use non-opengl installed at Sandisk @2 Card and except a very small lagness, there are no freezes, daily reboots or other problems with apps.
Battery lasts almost 10 hours of full using for browsing, chatting etc, so I guess it would keep nook alive for at least 3 days if it was only sleeping.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Is it, perhaps, time for a non-nightly CM9 roll-up thread with a package where you format System and Data, as well as Cache and Dalvik?......

I know what I'm describing would be a lot of work for somebody, and you all are really busy already. It's just odd that we have here two (three, counting Dalingren's?) separate threads pursuing incremental nightly builds while the forums for other devices (phones!) spawn dozens of complete (often indistinguishable) Kangs.
I'm not sure I follow what you are asking for. Are you asking someone to start building/customizing and posting CM9 ROMs and starting a new thread? Why? Eyeballer's builds are great. And remember we do not have a stable build yet from CM. It is being updated almost every day as they fix things and add new features. That is the whole concept of nightlies. Some work great and some have bugs as they try to get things right.

Reactions: voit

glgehman

Jan 28, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not sure I follow what you are asking for. Are you asking someone to start building/customizing and posting CM9 ROMs and starting a new thread? Why? Eyeballer's builds are great. And remember we do not have a stable build yet from CM. It is being updated almost every day as they fix things and add new features. That is the whole concept of nightlies. Some work great and some have bugs as they try to get things right.

Well, again, maybe I'm misunderstanding because I haven't read every post in the relevant threads, but a few weeks ago it sounded like: You can't format your system partition because the nightly CM9 is expecting to find some files there from some earlier state (i.e.: not a complete install).

Then these last few days it sounds like there are conflicts with old software (e.g.: two calendars) that you, Leapinlar, have kindly provided a script to clean up. But that if maybe if you have these conflicts, it might explain why the system locks up.

I'm just saying that scanning the first three pages of the Android Development forum, I don't see any "CM9 for virgins" post that lets me download a package that I would, you know, format system, format data, format cache, install & run. So that the only thing in System is what the install puts in system, the only thing in bin is what the install puts in bin, the only thing in sys is what the install puts... etc. And it doesn't need to be updated that often. Once in a while on significant functionality milestones.

Or can I use the Nightlies that way? Super-wipe everything and install?

glg

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Or can I use the Nightlies that way? Super-wipe everything and install?

glg
You can wipe everything (but not /boot) now and it is ok. That not being able to wipe /system was one of those bugs that I mentioned sometimes shows up in nightlies. It is fixed now (eyeballer fixed it for us). And that duplication of app problem was only for systems that were installed on SD. Pick a nightly and wipe away if you want (but you don't really need to, see my tips thread in my signature for more information). If that one seems to have bugs you cannot live with, try a different one (earlier or preferably later).

Edit: Soon CM will be releasing a version called a Release Candidate (RC). It serves the purpose you are asking for. It is a snapshot of a nightly that many people prefer to use instead of the sometimes buggy nightlies. It only gets updated occasionally (RC0, RC1, etc). I don't know if eyeballer is going to make one for us when the time comes, but it is what you want.

Last edited:

routey

May 18, 2012
Just flashed to the new 2206 opengl...noticed that the recent nightly does not come with non open gl, I have to say I'm very impressed coming from the 0606 nightly, I just flashed cm7.2 again to compare n I have to say my cm9 is just as smooth!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

glgehman

Jan 28, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Edit: Soon CM will be releasing a version called a Release Candidate (RC). It serves the purpose you are asking for. It is a snapshot of a nightly that many people prefer to use instead of the sometimes buggy nightlies. It only gets updated occasionally (RC0, RC1, etc). I don't know if eyeballer is going to make one for us when the time comes, but it is what you want.

Yes, exactly. Thanks for the other help.

glg

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Just flashed to the new 2206 opengl...noticed that the recent nightly does not come with non open gl, I have to say I'm very impressed coming from the 0606 nightly, I just flashed cm7.2 again to compare n I have to say my cm9 is just as smooth!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

I can confirm the same for today's nightly that I installed at my Dualboot card this morning.
But scrolling while browsing in Opera Mobile and Dolphin haven't approved much.

Produced by NookColor at ICS 4.0.4

routey

May 18, 2012
I can confirm the same for today's nightly that I installed at my Dualboot card this morning.
But scrolling while browsing in Opera Mobile and Dolphin haven't approved much.

Produced by NookColor at ICS 4.0.4

right, surfing with dolphin is still lagging and just 5mins ago it hanged and i had to do a force restart of my nook color.. everything else is running smooth thou, will probably flash to 2306

pkchainsaw

Jul 30, 2007
youtube

So, has anyone gotten YouTube to work? It mostly worked for me (opengl) until the last several night lies. Something hapeed about half a month ago. Now it just spins for a very long time and if it does anything, it says cannot play touch to retry.

Anotherquestion. Anyone know how to get the "can't find your location" to stop? I've disabled every setting I could find, but I must be missing something.

fastoy

Jan 1, 2009
Southaven
benmoore.info
So, has anyone gotten YouTube to work? It mostly worked for me (opengl) until the last several night lies. Something hapeed about half a month ago. Now it just spins for a very long time and if it does anything, it says cannot play touch to retry.

Anotherquestion. Anyone know how to get the "can't find your location" to stop? I've disabled every setting I could find, but I must be missing something.

My youtube is kind of hit and miss also on eyeballer's non-OpenLG from 06/12/12. As soon as it starts playing (if it's HD) tap the HD in the bottom left and it'll play. These are videos from my Panasonic Lumia. iPhone videos don't seem to play at all. They will crash the youtube app.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 9/4 opengl is enabled on all builds (so no more double builds each night) and hardware UI acceleration is working. Thanks krylon360 for the work :)

In the same spirit as Samiam303 I've been building and hosting nightly builds of CM9 for the community to use. In particular I'm now building nightlies with OpenGL rendering turned on in addition to non-openGL builds (same as Samiam303). These builds are all straight sync with CM source with no additional mods. Builds are sync'd at 3am EST for non-openGL and 4am EST for openGL - they will be available to download approx 15 mins after their sync times.

So what does OpenGL rendering mean? It means we have some form of hardware acceleration for the UI and apps. It is not full hw accel and it is not hw video decoding. The couple of things you'll notice work is wallpaper scrolling in the launcher and chrome beta will mostly work to render webpages but will fc if you go into settings. Flash also somewhat works - I've found you definitely need to OC to get some flash videos to work, most still are not smooth.

The downside to it seems to vary user to user, some people report sluggish responses and some get lock ups, a few have no problems at all..

Either way, give them a try and report back. Please try to keep the thread on topic of these builds only, other mods can be flashed over, but that discussion should be in the respective thread. I'd also like to revisit keyodi's suggestion here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22277804#post22277804) - a few people reported good results with that change. Any more feedback?

Downloads

There's a few ways to get the builds:
    1) Browse the hosted folder here: http://techerrata.com/browse/nightly_kangs/encore
    2) Follow @CM_Encore on twitter for announcements of the builds as they hit the host (PLEASE NOTE: @CM_Encore IS A TWITTER BOT - don't bother tweeting at it)
    3) *NEW* Use the Goo Manager app to receive notifications of new builds and download them directly on your nook. With Goo Manager you can also get incremental updates, see my post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25441065#post25441065

Latest ICS gapps can be found here http://goo-inside.me/gapps or mirrored here http://techerrata.com/browse/gapps

Updates

For the latest updates/announcements follow me on twitter, or check back here.

5/9/12: Goo Manager now comes pre-installed to make updating as easy as possible :)
    4/28/12: Incremental updates are available for the flash-a-holics: See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25441065#post25441065
    3/10/12: Due to some merges yesterday you may need to reflash gapps when going from a nightly prior to 3/9 to later than 3/9

Credit and Thanks
    Thanks to fattire, dalingrin and the rest of the CM encore theme for making this possible. Thanks to fellow TeamWin members Kevank for providing the hosting and to s0up for the Goo app.
    The 9/4 nightly includes all of krylon's changes, and opengl is now enabled by default so there will only be 1 build each night from now on (unless something changes again). In testing we haven't experienced any freezes or random reboots with the new code and opengl enabled, of course with wider testing we may discover something.
    I've decided to pause the nightlies at this point. If most people are on 9/4 we can start to see if there's any specific issues affecting all users that might be able to be resolved with the goal being as stable a cm9 release as possible. There isn't much being merged into the cm9 tree upstream so we're not losing anything by building less frequency.

So go ahead and install 9/4, if I see something of significance merged upstream I'll kick off a new public build.
    Nightlies will now feature HWA and full Hardware Decoding, as well as working Flash.

Known issues.
    Netflix - Stupid Stupid App. :p - Giving the same error as we are getting in JB, so when we fix one, we will fix the other.

Fruit Ninja - Hangs at the loading screen. - Known issue across several devices.
    I've decided to pause the nightlies at this point. If most people are on 9/4 we can start to see if there's any specific issues affecting all users that might be able to be resolved with the goal being as stable a cm9 release as possible. There isn't much being merged into the cm9 tree upstream so we're not losing anything by building less frequency.

So go ahead and install 9/4, if I see something of significance merged upstream I'll kick off a new public build.

thanks eye.
    This gives me a chance to hack in the PBHACK which will bring down the memory usage of SystemUI like I did in JB.
    Gonna take some work since it didnt like some of the syntax usage when I attempted the 1st time.
    Will try to get to this sometime this week. Have my Grandma coming to town on Sunday, so will be unavail this weekend/next week.