Rooting the HTC Hero/G2..(success)

Search This thread

enlightener

Aug 21, 2008
Rome
@Dayzee
I think is better(in this way there are less comands and Superuser.apk) to replace step 6 of http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4257045&postcount=38 with:
- download superuser.zip and extract the contents into <somewhere... > (superuser.zip containts Superuser.apk and the su binary )
Code:
adb shell mount /system                    
adb push su /system/bin/     
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
adb shell reboot

(there's no need to specify mount options because the mount point is defined in /etc/fstab ;-) )

@jackdaniels_lee maybe it's better to replace the steps 5-6 on the first page too :D

Last edited:

Dayzee

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Dayzee, with Root Explorer where can you access that you couldn't before?

Not really sure if am actually rooted... wifitether runs fine but actually loading up webpages on my laptop doesnt load. everything says its connected though.

Is this likely to be more a laptop (probs software) issue than not being root?

In my experience (so far G1 and Google Ion or Dev Magic) Root Explorer allows you everywhere that astro does BUT in each folder it tells if it is R/O or R/W and allows you to toggle this to copy paste move stuff around even in device memory - as such it is either EXtremely useful or Extremely dangerous. :) Without Root, you cannot swap from R/O to R/W in a folder, though Astro and other file explorers let you look inside.

Dayzee xx

DeadManDan

Feb 20, 2008
quick questions....

couple of quick questions....

1.Is this a permanent change/flash? Will this need to be done if you reboot or hard reset the device ?

2.Will your mobile operator shout at you for doing this if you ever need to return your device? i.e. with previous devices flashing back a stock rom prior to returning device was necessary - is there a similar process for reversing this change?

3.To me, rooting, sounds like a permissions change to the device allowing you more permissions to tinker with it than before - therefore after rooting does the possibility exist that malicious code or human error fry/break/delete sys data from the device? (i like my phone, and i like to tinker but also dont want to trash it within the first week :D )

cheers dudes

veejayjameson

Jan 17, 2007
Is there something im missing?

Wifitether doesn't seem to work. On the device it gives an upload speed, but no download speed.

Anyone having this issue? So far iv just turned on wifitether then added the network on my laptop. Webpages just pause for ages before saying page not avaliable...

:(

Dayzee

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester UK
@Dayzee
I think is better(in this way there are less comands and Superuser.apk) to replace step 6 of http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4257045&postcount=38 with:
- download superuser.zip and extract the contents into <somewhere... > (superuser.zip containts Superuser.apk and the su binary )
Code:
adb shell mount /system                    
adb push su /system/bin/     
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb shell reboot

(there's no need to specify mount options because the mount point is defined in /etc/fstab ;-) )

@jackdaniels_lee maybe it's better to replace the steps 5-6 on the first page too :D

Ta I've added it to my noobs post - Can you clarify something for me - Specifically where should I put the unpacked stuff? should it go into the tools folder of sdk like the recovery.img file? I think that the two files - su and superuser should go into tools for adb to find them easily - is that right? Lemme know if its not...

Dayzee. xx

veejayjameson

Jan 17, 2007
Do you have the Hero on T-mobile
i have the G2 touch and want to try this method...........can anyone confirm this is working on t-mobiles hero

Yer have tried with G2. It worked I think.. having issues connecting with wifitether though. However root explorer seems to work.

Give it a try, let me know, would be interesting if you have similar tethering issues..

Dayzee

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Firstly to Deadmandan - Yes to all that, and the programme Superuser Whitelist is there to tackle that one - it means no programme can have SU access without it flagging it up to you and asking for you to allow it (can be once or always or never) For the most part, in my limited experience, there isn't huge problems with hackers or nasties yet on android, prolly as its new.

With regard to Wifi Tethering, its a whole other can of wrigglies with lots of little glitches and niggles down to the many many variables involved in getting it working. So, it might be more productive to seek out tethering threads and info on the Sapphire forums, as the Hero and Sapphire should be essentially the same on this, and lots of work has been done on tethering the Magic/sapphire. Or check the forums and maybe start or join a tethering thread :)

That will also leave this thread less cluttered for folks getting their new heros and wanting info on rooting. < smiles >

enlightener

Aug 21, 2008
Rome
Ta I've added it to my noobs post - Can you clarify something for me - Specifically where should I put the unpacked stuff? should it go into the tools folder of sdk like the recovery.img file? I think that the two files - su and superuser should go into tools for adb to find them easily - is that right? Lemme know if its not...

Dayzee. xx
YES, it's right :D

If you don't have the tools folder in your PATH it is better if you put Superuser.apk and su binary in the tools folder of the sdk so you can push them without specifying the full path. :p

Dayzee

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Ya indeed but as with Tethering and Bluetooth file transfer, these are all things that need a thread / enquiry of their own and often have lots of glitches to get through to make them work - soo many variables and root is just the jumping off point.

I'd say have a look in hero forum for A2SD but it may be too early for a hero specific thread (You could start one tho!!)

Then try the Sapphire Forums as the board and OS is the same as the Rogers 32A Magic and lots more development already done in there.

Catscrash

Mar 2, 2008
i rooted with your first method (method 2 was not there when i did)

rooting seems to work... well i think so, root explorer works... but when i try installing super user whitelist it says "incompatible upgrade"... or to be exact "inkompatible aktualisierung" (german version)

any ideas?

Dayzee

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Try pushing that Superuser .apk from enlightener - it seemed to work for Republik. Just do the lines that say

adb shell mount /system
adb shell reboot

Try that - Dayzee

Catscrash

Mar 2, 2008
okay, now after restart there is a black window, above it says "SU Request"
and after a while there is a popup, asking to wait or force-close the application...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A GUIDE FOR TOTAL NOOBS to SDK + Rooting of HERO.

Right - a nice clear NOOB guide - I'll asume no previous SDK experience :) and XP Throughout, the stuff you need to type into the cmd will be in quotes " but you DO NOT TYPE THE QUOTES! :) UPDATED FROM EXPERIENCE!

1 GETTING THE SDK and INSTALLING IT
    Firstly you need to download the Android SDK (Software Developers Kit if you were wondering) from http://developer.android.com/index.html

They tell you to install it but really, what you need to do is just make sure the unzipped folder with everything in is placed in the root of your main drive (Usually c) so that its easier to point at it I guess. When unzipped, this folder is named something longwinded - I renamed mine to sdk and i'll use that in the following instructions.

2 INSTALLING SDK USB DRIVERS and USB DEBUGGING
    Firstly on your device, go to Settings - Applications -Development - USB Debugging and make sure it has a green tick :)
    Now you need to install the USB Drivers - Plug your fone in using the USB and it should come up Unknown device and ask you to install drivers - choose the Specific location option and then browse to the USB Driver folder in sdk - for XP choose the x86 folder - if you have a different OS you probably know which one to choose more than me. The drivers should install and the phone is now recognised when you plug it in (Remember if you plug it in a different USB port it may not recognise it again - stick to the same one if you have more than one USB port)

Additional - in my case, when I got to the adb section (Step6), my device wasn't recognised again. I had to do the exact same process above for adb functions. If you get a second pop up later on when starting the adb process, then navigate to the same folder. I had to specifically browse to the x86 folder. Checking USB debugging first should stop this but if not you are forewarned. :)

3 CHECKING ON SDK TOOLS
    Firstly have a look in the sdk folder to find the tools folder and make sure you have fastboot.exe and adb.exe in there. If yes then cool and groovy.

4 CHECKING IF FASTBOOT or ADB SEES YOUR HERO.
    Shutdown the phone and restart by pressing and holding power and the Back Button - you should be in bootloader - plug in your device to the USB BUT DON'T MOUNT IT!! should now say Fastboot USB on your hero. If you get prompted for drivers or device not recognised on plugging in the USB, follow step 2 again - just to be safe. :)

Open a comand Prompt Window - in XP its in Accessories/system from programs - I dragged the shortcut to my desktop, just so it was easier. You can also get to a command prompt by going to "RUN" and typing cmd (Ta Republik)

Double click and you'll see a line pointing to C drive probably Docs and settings, and your user name. You need to cd (change directory) into the tools folder so type (if you changed the name of the SDK folder to sdk like me)

"cd C:\sdk\tools" (and press enter)

should look like this now C:\sdk\tools>_

Next type in "fastboot devices" and press enter -

You should see something recognised - if nothing happens you need a different driver or more help. It might be worth going through step 2 again by unplugging from the PC then replugging in to force the driver request. (If that fails, ask on XDA for help)

If your device is listed, then you're set to start the Hero Rooting Process.

5 ROOTING!!! BOOTING INTO RECOVERY IMAGE
    Now you need to get the recovery image that will allow you to root from here
    http://rapidshare.com/files/262621147/cm-hero-recovery.img.zip

Once downloaded, unzip and place the file cm-hero-recovery.img INTO YOUR TOOLS FOLDER IN SDK (Don't forget to Unzip the zip file like I did. LOL You need the .img file in the root of the tools folder)

Now restart your fone into bootloader as mentioned above (HOLDing Back and Power) then plug into the USB and cd into the tools folder (You may already be there if you didn't unplug from before when you checked if the device was seen in part 4 above )

In the command window on your PC type "fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img" and press enter. Your fone should boot into a recovery console.

AT THIS POINT YOU SHOULD CONSIDER DOING A NANDROID BACKUP OF YOUR PRE ROOTED HERO ROM - scroll down to the nandroid backup option and press the scrollwheel. Once the Backup is finished, carry on with the next step - the backup will be on your SD Card and if anything goes wrong, can be restored by getting into this recovery console again :)

6 ROOTING - MODIFYING THE CODE TO GET ROOT ACCESSS
    enlightener says - download Superuser.zip here http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=211569&d=1249225060 and extract the contents. You get a folder with two files : su and superuser.apk. Put those two files directly into the TOOLS folder in sdk (Same place as the recovery.img in step 5 above) (superuser.zip contains Superuser.apk and the su binary ) once that's done type the following code into your command window, pressing enter after each line.

"adb shell mount /system"
    "adb push su /system/bin/"
    "adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su"
    "adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/"
    "adb shell reboot"

Now your fone should be rebooting itself. At this point you can unplug from USB and let it reboot - it *should* be rooted - You can check by plugging in the USB without mounting - from a Command console cd to the tools directory and then type "adb shell" (You see a little dollar sign) then type "su" (must be lower case) - the Superuser app should ask for permission, click allow always and then you'll see the little rooted # sign - You are rooted!!

Use the script below if you fail anywhere along the line, in case you need to remove the previous Superuser then push it back.

"adb shell mount /system"
    "adb shell rm /system/app/Superuser.apk"
    (will give error if you don't have it... ignore the error)
    "adb push su /system/bin/"
    "adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su"
    "adb push Superuser.apk /system/app"
    "adb shell reboot"

7 CHEcKING IF YOU ARE ROOTED
    Download and install a programme from the market that requires root eg
    Root Booter and test its functions if this works, you have root! You already have Superuser Permissions installed. Once installed, any programme needing root access must ask for permission (Choose allow always) and this is another way you know root has been successful. Other good ROOT prgs to try are Root Explorer (a great file explorer) bluex (For BT file transfer)

Warning - some folk get errors trying to upgrade to Superuser Whitelist (Including me) - if Superuser Permissions is working fine, leave it as is :)

Additional - Lots of posters reporting that Root Explorer not working as it should on the HTC Hero.

Hope that is NOOB FRIENDLY enough - Love Dayzee.

ALL the info is from this thread or the earlier ones so much THANKS to all involved. Please let me know if I've got any bits wrong or they could be clearer and I'll edit. I know there will be a lot of new to Android folks who need these "Granny suckingEggs" type instructions, because I was one of them 6 months ago!!
    OK i have a stupid question as i'm new to all that android thing. Where is the sdk folder? How do i open CMD? Maby u could do a tutorial for totaly new guys on *how to root your HERO* ??

Thanks

better visit www.theunlockr.com