Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Speaker Noise When Volume Muted

Search This thread

TwinXM

Mar 30, 2012
How long from when you sent it in to when you got it back?

Service requested date - 03/15/2014
Customer's unit received date - 03/21/2014
Repair completed date - 03/27/2014
Ship Date - 03/28/2014 via UPS 2nd Day Air

I think they have 4 business days to fix the device, in my case it took little longer, they said that there was a warranty issue (huh?) with my device, I needed to email them proof of purchase.
I will have it back on Tue. I'm really curious if replacing the speakers fixed the problem.

Also, if you are planning on returning your tablet for warranty repairs make sure to check Samsung Support website for messages from them, that's how I found out that I have to call Samsung and provide them with the receipt.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/tracking

Oliv3

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle, WA
This is just sad

I went through a couple of nexus 7 because they had this exact same issue..... so I ended up returning both.

Waited for something else and along comes the galaxy pro 8.4, but it has the same audio buzz. I'm gonna live with this. I'm guessing the industry knows this is an issue and is probably too costly to fix/make it better.

There's no hope.....I'll just try to hope that as my ear ages i'll lose the ability to hear the frequency range that the buzzing is at.

TwinXM

Mar 30, 2012
I have received my device back from the repairs, replacing the speakers did NOT solve the problem :(

kbtmoney10

Jun 16, 2013
Returned to Amazon for Replacement

I returned my Tab 8.4 with hissing speakers to Amazon, and they sent a replacement. The new one works great with no speaker issues.

I noticed that the 2nd Tab they sent came from a different shipping warehouse. So, maybe there are batches that don't have the speaker issues.

Mathlete

Aug 9, 2009
Amazon wouldn't replace it, 3 times, so I just bought the 4th one.. which I should've been doing anyway, since I would've gotten about $12 in rewards points for each one.
Since I pre-ordered it forever ago, it dropped in price $30. Then they told me they would give me a $30 discount on this one, when I went to check out, it only came out to about $300. I really hope that #4 doesn't do it.

I also learned that Amazon won't let you print the return labels after a week, even though you have a month to return something.

JSkratch

May 14, 2010
Mine makes a very low warbling sound with the speakers muted, but only if I'm playing something that has very intense graphics. I assume it's EM interference from the graphics chip or something else drawing a lot of power.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Oliv3

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle, WA
An update from my last post,

After exchanging it twice at bestbuy, all 3 devices seem to have the speaker static. So, I returned all 3 and on a whim decided to go down to fry's to purchase another one. Got home, tested the speakers right away and to my surprise it was extremely better. I tested it by having clash of clans open and putting it on mute in a quiet room, It's completely silent.

Given my OCD, I can tell people that if I can't hear the static then there's much hope if you're bothered by this. I suggest you keep exchange/return & re-buy until you find one that doesn't have this issue. There doesn't seem to be a batch number labeled on the box that I can give you that might help your search. This 4th one is still made in Vietnam like the last three...So, I have no idea why this one doesn't suffer the issue like the last 3.

best of luck, I can say it was definitely worth the trouble for this little tablet.

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

Mine makes a very low warbling sound with the speakers muted, but only if I'm playing something that has very intense graphics. I assume it's EM interference from the graphics chip or something else drawing a lot of power.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

I believe you're right. It's the fact that the speakers do not completely shut off when you put the device on mute, and it's getting some interference. The noise do get more prevalent when you're running an app (with sound) that puts a heavy load on the cpu/gpu.

I wonder if the speakers can be shutoff when muted through a software patch. I find that would fix the problem, since for me that caused the most annoyance. Playing a game at night in bed (having it on mute) the crackling static was fairly irritating....

Skire90

Nov 27, 2012
Amsterdam
So the only thing Samsung does is replace the speakers, which does not fix the issue? I wanted to pick up this tablet tomorrow, but after reading all this I am not sure if I should..

markymark567

Nov 18, 2012
I have found that if I have headphones plugged in, the noise does not occur.
So the easiest and most effective fix for me was to use these:
http://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Dus...406452083&sr=1-1&keywords=headphone+jack+plug
Then the speaker is disabled cuz the tab thinks headphones are plugged in. The only issue is that the speakers won't work while the plug is in there so you will have to pull it out to get speaker volume.

This got me thinking though: could we maybe get a software fix to disable the speakers in a similar way when the tab is muted? Perhaps we could trigger the same effect without having to plug something in.

cimicke

Nov 11, 2013
I have the same problem. This is my second tab and both had the problem.

Is there a solution already found? Because i have the impression that almost every tab has the problem.

HKSpeed

Apr 3, 2012
Los Angeles
I noticed my 8.4 also emits a hissing noise when the volume is all the way down. Then I muted the tablet using the Sound/Vibrate/Mute toggle in the Notification Panel Quick Settings. That turned off the hissing. My guess is putting it in Mute cuts power to the speakers, thus eliminating hissing. I've noticed hissing from other devices (tvs, computers, radios, etc) when the volume is turned all the way down. A friend of mine who has lots of experience with custom car audio said the hissing sound is distortion/interference coming from power traveling through the speaker wires.

I also noticed my battery life is better when I leave it in Mute mode. I rarely use my tablet for videos/music, so I kept it in Mute mode for several days and I noticed the battery drain was much less. I don't have any numbers/stats to back up my claim, but just an observation. I also noticed it charges faster when in Mute. Strange.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My 8.4 does the same thing

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk