Phone dialled out internaionally without permission!

Search This thread

smudgelab

Jan 17, 2010
Sorry for not updating, not got an HD2 now so kind of forgot about this...For those who maybe still experiencing problems...
3D Antiterrorist is the culprit - "the one" has updated this thread with the following to help you all.
have updated the 1800pocketpc post with the collection of various fixes recommended in this thread.
Made a short video for it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGJDCKTJyI
Kindly note that this is not a sure shot fix, there might be some side effects. So far I have not seen any out going calls, will keep you guys posted
UPDATE : Kaspersky Mobile can detect the malware , so I suggest you give that a go

EDIT - "the one" has very kindly pm'd me with this link as a possible solution to this query...
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6127877&postcount=117

Sadly I don't possess this phone any more so am not in a postion to be able to comment. Seems worrying that it's still happening though... Thanks again hugely to all those who looked in & tried to offer assistance, appreciate it. Hope this helps someone.
***************************************************************************************************
Really wierd one this. Last night, I was woken by a repetitive voice telling me that "International dialling is not currently permitted from this device". As this was at aprox' 02.40 on Suday AM, it fair shook me out of a deep sleep! On checking the phone I found the following call history:
+88213213214 @ 02:44
+88213213214 @ 02:36
+1(767)503-3611 @ 02 36
+1(767)503-3611 @ 02:36
+8823460777 @ 02:35
I have absolutely no idea who or what these numbers are for (Google suggests +882 may be something to do with satellite phones(!?) & +1767 appears to be a Dominican country code(!!??) but it was very unnerving to see my phone has been trying to ring these without any input from me. I'll be onto Virgin mobile later to see if they can help but thought I'd try the collective wisdom of you guys first. Virus / dialler maybe? Do these even exist for win mo phones? Any help wil be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

oalex

Sep 28, 2005
Budapest
Really wierd one this. Last night, I was woken by a repetitive voice telling me that "International dialling is not currently permitted from this device". As this was at aprox' 02.40 on Suday AM, it fair shook me out of a deep sleep! On checking the phone I found the following call history:
+88213213214 @ 02:44
+88213213214 @ 02:36
+1(767)503-3611 @ 02 36
+8823460777 @ 02:35
I have absolutely no idea who or what these numbers are for (Google suggests +882 may be something to do with satellite phones(!?) & +1767 appears to be a Dominican country code(!!??) but it was very unnerving to see my phone has been trying to ring these without any input from me. I'll be onto Virgin mobile later to see if they can help but thought I'd try the collective wisdom of you guys first. Virus / dialler maybe? Do these even exist for win mo phones? Any help wil be very much appreciated. Thank you.

You might want to start by listing which Rom you have on and what 3rd party apps you have installed.

smudgelab

Jan 17, 2010
Hi, the Rom info' is in my sig...
3rd party apps...
BSB Tweaks
Touch x button icon in messaging
NetRipper Torch button
Touchx bluetooth toggle
Microfi Nitrogen
Touch x reset & wifi
dega's blue calendar highlight
BSB default Rot apps
Step2p currency keyboard
cleanram
Sectors HTC SRS wow
vovicheck & jamrecords 20 shcut_25
Cookies Home tab
cmE New alignment 1.6.1
JCM Dev CHT Editor
cmE CHT page indicator
hulzer advanced cookies home tab
google maps
copilot
Dutty's task Mgr
swype
nanling Quick Menu HD2 wwe
skyfire
zuniger batt clock
opnmarket
xtract, experiment 13, southend qualcomm, Moor Huhn, Deepweb F1 2010, boingles,meonlite,

ardsar

May 21, 2007
Devon
There are a few trojans for WM that can do this - download a free trial of kaspersky or equivilant and do a scan of your phone.

smudgelab

Jan 17, 2010
Just doing that now, thanks for the advice, I'll post any results once the scans done.:)

Update - total scanned files - 8327,
Viruses, quarantined, disinfected, deleted 0
skipped 13

Curioser & curioser...

Last edited:

smudgelab

Jan 17, 2010
Hmmm, just got off the phone with VM CSR & have had it confirmed that they had another instance of this happening last night. I have ensured that I have not been charged for these calls, have imposed a credit limit of £30.00 on my account & had them set up a service whereby they text me if I get to this limit. I have also ensured that the actual numbers dialled have been logged into my account at VM for future reference. A quick look around the web by my son shows that this may be a scam involving something called "party lines" - never heard of them but some poor bugger in the states has been caned for $282.00!! Thank God my international & premium lines are barred...for now. He got this info from typing "800 notes" into google. Hope this helps someone avoids getting stung by these b*****ds.:mad:

zelidar

Mar 19, 2007
Thun
Not sure it is related but as was already reported in other threads, some HD2 devices do have a "ghost typer" problem. This has also brought mine to call numbers from my history list in the middle of the night.

I think I now know the reason and, for me, it most probably lies in using a low quality power unit to charge my phone during the night. Unplugged or using a more expensive HTC branded power supply the ghost typer problem vanished immediately.

frko

Feb 7, 2009
Ghost calls also occur with certain headphones. Last number in the call history gets called automagically. Also does it ffwd ffbw & pause / play the music tab.

Not sure it is related but as was already reported in other threads, some HD2 devices do have a "ghost typer" problem. This has also brought mine to call numbers from my history list in the middle of the night.

I think I now know the reason and, for me, it most probably lies in using a low quality power unit to charge my phone during the night. Unplugged or using a more expensive HTC branded power supply the ghost typer problem vanished immediately.

smudgelab

Jan 17, 2010
Hi, thanks again for looking in. zelidar - I use the HTC charger on a night as it's next to my bed & also, the numbers dialled, have never been dialled by me before. koteski - I use a different set of headphones from he supplied stock kit, some Shure in ear things but these weren't attached when these "phantom" calls occurred (& they don't have inline ffwd or rew controls on). Again, the numbers called had never been dialled by me so they cannot be random "redials". Cheers again though :) Odd though how the VM CSR said he had never heard of this until my call & then admitted that 1 other incidence of this had been reported the same day...:confused:

SMS92

Apr 4, 2008
Ghost calls also occur with certain headphones. Last number in the call history gets called automagically. Also does it ffwd ffbw & pause / play the music tab.

This is interesting. I was driving home the other night, had my HD2 plugged into the aux port on my car as I wanted to test what it was like playing music in the car. It was fine on the way over (and the day before), but on the way home every time 'ABC - The Look of Love' played, the audio would keep muting, I'd look at the phone and see it was calling the last number on my call list! What the hell!

Thank god I noticed in time, because if the other party (poss work related) had heard me singing along to that song I'd have been screwed.

I had no idea why it was happening at first, so I switched the phone on and off and it just continued to happen.

Absolutely ridiculous bug... what's the solution to this??

And OP - thanks for bringing your issue to everyone's attention, you've reminded me to put international call blocking on my account and a credit limit. If all it takes is a cheesy 80s song to dial UK mobile numbers, god only knows what a cheesy 90s song will do next.

Edit: 1.66.405.2 (76641) WWE, 2.09.51.03_2

smudgelab

Jan 17, 2010
lol...Your HD2 may have been worried you would start cavorting round in wide shouldered shiny jackets with your sleeves rolled up, baggy trousers, pastel coloured t shirts, slip on espadrilles (I was in the 80's too:D) & tried to save you the humiliation:D. Glad this may have helped & saved someone else from an unexpected telephonic dry reaming from their operator.

Last edited:

Dewden

Mar 23, 2010
Google suggests +882 may be something to do with satellite phones(!?)

Actually +882 is not the code for satellite phones (+881 is the official code for satellite phones, Iridium satellite phones for example have +8816 and +8817).

+88 (00 88) is the international code for Bangladesh.

Terenth

Jan 15, 2009
had the same calls on my phone last night @ 3.55! the same numbers. i woke up and saw how my phone tried to call the numbers. are there more people with this problem? will do an antivirus check and may be put a new rom on it (hd2)
griaz!

conantroutman

Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Dec 10, 2009
Yep, had this last night too, 12am GMT, same numbers as OP.
Mines a t mobile stock rom, had no such problems before, ran a kaspersky check which revealed nothing! gonna phone t mobile later and see what they say.

edit; just noticed some 3rd party apps which i have in common with the op,
netripper torchbutton
bsb tweaks
skyfire
Had these for months though with no problems...

however installed more recently were;
vovichek and jamrecords 16 shcut
southend qualcomm
xtract
experiment 13

Anyone else using these?

Last edited:

samanric

Apr 17, 2009
Paszto
had the same calls on my phone last night @ 3.55! the same numbers. i woke up and saw how my phone tried to call the numbers. are there more people with this problem? will do an antivirus check and may be put a new rom on it (hd2)
griaz!

I also reported this problem with the phone number.
Live in Hungary.
(sorry, no speak english. Google translate :) )

ciuchino2

Jul 25, 2008
Tonight i had the same issue:
at 01:00 AM the phone auto-calls
several numbers:

+8823460777
+1 (767) 5033611 (what the hell?)
+88213213214 <------ same of the 3d starter
+25240221601 <------ about 3,5€ for 1min and 30 sec. of call!!!

I have HTC Diamond with black HD rom:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=643074

pigglett

Dec 10, 2008
Cheshire UK
Yep, had this last night too, 12am GMT, same numbers as OP.
Mines a t mobile stock rom, had no such problems before, ran a kaspersky check which revealed nothing! gonna phone t mobile later and see what they say.

edit; just noticed some 3rd party apps which i have in common with the op,
netripper torchbutton
bsb tweaks
skyfire
Had these for months though with no problems...

however installed more recently were;
vovichek and jamrecords 16 shcut
southend qualcomm
xtract
experiment 13

Anyone else using these?

oops I have every programs except xtract

Had them on a while and no dialing out yet

Iam also running cookies home tab and quite a few others

fingers crossed

N-ter

Feb 17, 2010
Tonight i had the same issue:
at 01:00 AM the phone auto-calls
several numbers:

+8823460777
+1 (767) 5033611 (what the hell?)
+88213213214 <------ same of the 3d starter
+25240221601 <------ about 3,5€ for 1min and 30 sec. of call!!!

I have HTC Diamond with black HD rom:

Same problem here, the exact same numbers in the exact same order. (12:23-12:25 AM GMT+3 Romania)
I have LG KS20 with original French rom (WM6).

I'm pretty sure I have none of those programes installed.

Last edited:

aberken

Feb 9, 2007
Auto Dial

I have a stock ROM ATT Tilt2

This AM I powered on my phone and as soon as it loaded it attempted to dial 88213213214 I was able to stop the call since the phone was still in my hand. As I pressed on an icon to start PowerOptions to softreset my phone, then the phone attempted to dial 17675033611. I once again stopped the call. I turned off my phone and restarted it.....nothing else thus far. Like others I have never dialed any of the number prior.

conantroutman

Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Dec 10, 2009
My phone just tried dial one of these numbers again, pretty much 12 hours exactly after it first happened, I've already had t mobile bar outgoing internaional calls but this is ridiculous.

Ok I just googled those numbers and found this, doesnt make much sense to me but it explains what these numbers are, why my phone wants to call them though is beyond me

Explanation of +882 numbers

Wiki Explanation of +882's

Last edited: