[ROM] CyanogenMod 9 Stable: Android 4.0.4 for Samsung Epic 4G

Search This thread

wtogami

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2010
Is anyone else having problems with voodoo sound loading at boot? Won't load for me automatically, but works fine if I launch it manually. I do have it set to launch at boot.

This and 90% of the other problems people mention in this thread is because you are using unsupported kernels or mods that replace chunks of the operating system. If you replace *any* portion of CM9 you need to ask the author of that mod for help.

Kenny could we have some mod support on encouraging people to follow this rule?

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
The problem with modified apps is they are not the most recent version of the app which is what is supported here, not old versions.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

wtogami

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2010
In this case its not always true - there is a paid app that will inject voodoo sound into any kernel it is possible that's what he's refering to

And that too would be a CM9 unsupported mod. If you modify the operating system or kernel in any way, you need to go to the author of that mod for help if anything breaks.

Reactions: flastnoles11

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
And that too would be a CM9 unsupported mod. If you modify the operating system or kernel in any way, you need to go to the author of that mod for help if anything breaks.

To add to this, if you have an issue or think you found a bug, reflash the CM9 with no themes or kernels or any other mod that changes the system files such as TWRP or Voodoo sound paid. If you can reproduce the bug, there is an issue tracker that you can post it in. But only AFTER you have confirmed it happens on a reflash after following the install guide.
And DO NOT post things in this thread about other kernels or mods. I just deleted a post about Nyan and will continue to do so as much as I can.
Let's keep this thread clean and strictly about Beta 3. If you are NOT on Beta 3, don't post here either.
Thank You
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

DCRocks

Oct 4, 2010
Washington DC
I paid for Voodoo Sound. Its worked in every other rom I have used. It "works" in this rom, but doesn't automatically inject, which it has in EVERY OTHER ROM, including EVERY OTHER build of CM9 I have tried

Kenny,

If someone is having trouble with an app while using a 100% stock CM9 build, is this not the place to get help, and that question should be placed in the Apps thread?

Even when it can be tested to show this is an issue with stock CM9 that has not previously existed with prior stock CM9 builds?

reworded... would this not be the place to go for help as to what changed in stock CM9 from prior versions to break this app?

Or is that something the App's dev would need to discuss with the CM9 devs, rather than the end user?

I tend to run 100% stock CM9, but time to time I use an app that modifies the stock build in one way or the other, should I always go to that apps thread rather than CM9, even if the build is 100% stock otherwise?

No trying to bust chops, just trying to make sure I get the process correct

Reactions: I Brick Phones

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
No no, that is a perfect question. The devs here would prefer it be discussed with the app developer because then that developer can discuss the changes with the CM9 team. Obvious things like clearing data or uninstalling and reinstalling the app should already have been tried. At worst it could be added to the issue tracker where the dev team can try to reproduce it. At best a thread in Q&A can be started to see if other users have gotten a similiar issue. Thanks.

Reactions: Ragnar

zanderman112

Oct 6, 2010
SouthEast USA
www.twitter.com
Thanks. The Devs have asked that those questions about 3rd party apps be asked in the official supported Q&A thread. Otherwise you have 20 posts of "not me, no problem". Let's make it easier for the devs to read through this thread for stock issues on each new release. Thanks.
This has been beaten to death so let's get back on topic.

I hope you don't tackle me Kenny o_O

Just to add on to this, technically, you aren't supposed to ask *ANY* questions in the Development threads. Bug Reports and thanks only, and preferably not even "thanks" posts, but those will happen anyways lol. They prefer each rom to have a corresponding Q&A thread(like CM9 does) for questions to be answered.

Help keep your local dev section clean!

~E.R.A.

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
This thread has been cleaned.

READ THE OP! Links are there!

There is a Bug Tracker, an install guide, a blog
There is a User supported Q&A thread in Q&A
There is a Battery life discussion in General
There is a customization guide in General
There is an unofficial tips thread in General
There is an unofficial one-stop shop thread in General

Stop cluttering up this thread with unsupported app bugs, kernels, or mods.
If you can reproduce your bug after redownloading and reflashing just the ROM and Gapps, report it in the bug tracker or post in the Q&A thread or make your own thread in Q&A for it.

Some posts in THIS thread may be deleted without notice. The devs have enough to do without having to read through pages and pages of crap.

Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

Last edited:

StoneRyno

Oct 29, 2011
I've never been a fan of speed dial but I'm sure in the mean time there are some dialer stuff in the app catalog that offer speed dial feature. :D

rangermateo

Jul 20, 2007
Reverse Typing?

So, I did some searching and couldn't come up with anything, so I apologize if this has been addressed.

It seems like the messaging app will attempt to type in reverse (ie pushes characters right) in the address field if you start typing as soon as the screen comes up. This happens on both the soft and hard keyboards. For example, if I'm trying to type the name "John Smith" it will initially come up as

nhoJ

with the letters filling from the left instead of starting at the left and filling right.

Seems like messaging is the only app I've noticed it on and it seems to be only if you don't wait long enough for something else to happen behind the scenes (During a MMS it takes longer while the "Converting to MMS" dialog is visible, any typing there is reversed.) Also, it seems to have popped up somewhere in the pre builds leading up to Beta 3.

Zeinzu

Aug 18, 2010
Manchester
www.sdx-developers.com
So, I did some searching and couldn't come up with anything, so I apologize if this has been addressed.

It seems like the messaging app will attempt to type in reverse (ie pushes characters right) in the address field if you start typing as soon as the screen comes up. This happens on both the soft and hard keyboards. For example, if I'm trying to type the name "John Smith" it will initially come up as

nhoJ

with the letters filling from the left instead of starting at the left and filling right.

Seems like messaging is the only app I've noticed it on and it seems to be only if you don't wait long enough for something else to happen behind the scenes (During a MMS it takes longer while the "Converting to MMS" dialog is visible, any typing there is reversed.) Also, it seems to have popped up somewhere in the pre builds leading up to Beta 3.

I've never seen this issue myself or heard of anyone else having this issue. Would probably suggest starting fresh. Redownload Beta3 and Gapps, odin stock, root, flash, and don't restore anything.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

AproSamurai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
Van Nuys, CA
github.com

nhoJ

Odd that you mention this. It actually had happened to me today, never experienced it beforehand though, so you're not the only one. I can't say I know what caused it. I had fresh flashed(Completely wiped and started new) Beta three today and experienced it shortly after.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

Wishkah420

Nov 27, 2010
Lansing, MI

nhoJ

Yes, I can confirm this. I thought I was just typing too fast and wait a few seconds for it to load properly.
Does your keyboard sometimes not light up?

I reported a few pages back that the keyboard doesn't light up sometimes, especially if screen is off and I slide it open to unlock.

Also tried re-installing swype beta to see if the text to speech button would work but no dice. So it looks like there's a total of 3 issues that have been confirmed by multiple end users.

Oh well, we have ICS on our epics so who cares!! Great job devs! Keep up the great work!

- Sent from my OG Epic 4G runnin fine on CM9 -

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
Odd that you mention this. It actually had happened to me today, never experienced it beforehand though, so you're not the only one. I can't say I know what caused it. I had fresh flashed(Completely wiped and started new) Beta three today and experienced it shortly after.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

It seems like the textbox should probably be disabled (or greyed out, if you will) at the start, and only enabled when the initialization code for that activity is done. When I see this issue, I can see the letters being entered and the cursor immediately being reset to the beginning of the box, which indicates that the activity is still trying to maintain its initial state (including cursor position) while some other part of the process finishes up. My recommendation for us end users is to learn a little patience - if a few seconds' wait is unbearable for us, we have bigger issues to deal with ;)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

murso74

Oct 30, 2010
1 bug and one question

Bug: in chrome I'm noticing that a lot of times the soft keyboard won't open in text fields. Have to use the hw keyboard

Question: what settings are people using under performance? I'm using on demand 100 to 1000, and it seems like I bounce from one to the other an awful lot. My battery drains like crazy while the phone is in use. Also does everyone have dithering on?

murso74

Oct 30, 2010
Another problem. In bbs, powermanager is showing its keeping the phone awake for 7 hours. Github says to check partial wake locks for processes keeping the phone awake but none of the services is active for more then a minute. I just can't get good batterylife out of this beta. That MMC process is still an issue also

Top Liked Posts