Search This thread

adma84

Aug 23, 2010
finally took the plunge and flashed a nightly. VERY impressed. Working great so far, for the most part anyway. It's further along than I expected. Thanks Devs!

TheTodFather

Aug 9, 2010
Huntsville
Jesus man, you sure you didn't leave out any steps. Wow...that's a lot of steps. Which isn't bad but damn! That is what i call thorough.
In an effort to completely document the "Going to CM7 and Coming Back from CM7" experience for myself and my fellow rooters, I have compiled the following diary of install. Please let me know if there are missing steps or extraneous steps that can be removed. Remember please that I am trying to COMPLETELY document the process (at least as much as pertains directly to CM7) and the audience is for everyone, even real noobs who you know will be trying this and crying about some dumb mistake. Thanks for your feedback.

Before beginning:
1. Booted into Recovery
2. Created new nand backup
3. Removed and stored MAIN sd

Using a new and different sd:
1. created 4gb CWR_ext4_0.1 bootable SD [Followed process here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=959240]
2. moved flashable zip of CM7 to SD [edit: now using latest nightly found here: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/forum/228-nightly-builds/]
3. moved latest gapps to SD [Found here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version/Google_Apps
4. moved latest Froyo/CM7 overclock kernel to SD [Found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=925451]
4. insert into NC

Installing
1. boot with bootable sd (CWR_ext4_0.1 - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6)
2. 'mounts and storage' --> format /system ; /data ; /cache
3. back to main menu
4. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "latest_CM7_nightly.zip"
5. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip"
6. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "update-1100mhz-froyo_CM7-emmc-cwm.zip" [if desired]
7. 'mounts and storage' --> unmount sdcard --> remove sdcard
8. reboot

First Boot
1. (got chills seeing that little cm7 droid boot animation)
2. @ Welcome to NookColor --> waited full 5 minutes for system to settle (?)
3. tapped Droid to begin setup
4. waited for Notification Bar to show WiFi available --> dragged down to open
5. Selected my router and logged in
6. Used built in 'Back Button' in top right of notification bar to go back to setup
7. @ Set up your Google Account --> signed in
8. @ Market Apps Installer - IMPORTANT: Read This! --> OK
9. @ Choose the apps to install --> preference i guess (gmail and google search were already installed - I added YouTube) --> ok
10. above took me to YouTube install screeen from market, seleceted Install then OK
11. @ Use Google Location --> i uncheck both since it's not a phone --> Next
12. @ Back up data --> i uncheck again --> Next
13. "Your Google Account is now linked to this phone" --> Finish setup
14. now to set time prefferences --> personal preference here (set time zone and current time will adjust) --> Next
15. WOOT! CM7 Home Screen!
16. Open Apps --> Settings --> CyanogenMod Settings --> Lockscreen --> Style Options --> Lockscreen style --> change to Sliding Tab (this is because the Rotary wheel isn't sized right yet and is real hard to use currently)
17. back @ Settings --> Applications --> check allow for Unknown Sources
18. open Market --> downloaded Titanium Backup
19. Ran batch restore to replace missing user apps
20. Open and tested each user app (some worked, some didn't - but it's early)

First Backup
1. Power off NC
2. boot with bootable sd (CWR_ext4_0.1 - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6)
3. 'backup and restore' --> 'Backup' (this creates nand backup to the SD card of the installed system)
4. 'mounts and storage' --> unmount sdcard --> remove sdcard
5. reboot

First Nightly Update
1. Download latest nightly (http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/forum/228-nightly-builds/)
2. Place new file onto the bootable ext4 SD
3. boot with bootable sd (CWR_ext4_0.1 - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6)
4. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "latest_nightly.zip"
5. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "update-1100mhz-froyo_CM7-emmc-cwm.zip" [if needed, at this time the nightly will restore original clock speed]
8. reboot

Restoring a nand backup of CM7
1. Power off NC
3. 'backup and restore' --> 'Restore' (select the backup you wish to restore - usually one with most recent date)
5. reboot

Reverting back to any other AOSP
**This requires having a seperate SD card or overwriting the image of the ext4 card
**All files needed are available as part of the
** "Monster RootPack/Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD" [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=922870]
** "Nook Color Restore to Stock" [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=914690]
**You will need the following files:
** CWR-removal.zip (both threads have a CWR removal file or two, take your pick)
** repartition-boot-with-stock.zip
** your most recent NON-CM7 nand backup -OR- your preferred stock recovery .zip
1. Power off NC
2. boot with bootable sd (original_CWR - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.5) [one made using the Monster RootPack thread]
3. 'mounts and storage' --> format /system ; /data ; /cache (this is for good measure)
3. back to main menu
4. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "CWR-removal.zip"
5. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "repartition-boot-with-stock.zip"
** If restoring to a nand backup, skip to step 9
6. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "nook-complete-restore-1.0.x.zip"
8. reboot (you should boot to stock and unrooted)(AND DONT DO STEPS 9-11) [you can now re-root with autonooter instructions]
** Only complete these steps if restoring a nand backup and NOT restoring to stock
9. 'backup and restore' --> 'Restore' (select the backup you wish to restore - usually one with most recent date)
10. 'mounts and storage' --> unmount sdcard --> remove sdcard
11. reboot (you should be back to a working version, rooted and full of joy)

Reactions: dasani

kronium

Jun 29, 2007
Ewa Beach
Crap, I just toggled the "Disable Unlock Slider" option. I thought it would bypass the lock screen altogether. Now I'm locked out. Is there any other way to get pass the lock screen? Or am I screwed. THANK YOU!

Last edited:

10equals2

Nov 24, 2010
1) Power off completely
2) Press and hold the N and power buttons
3) When the "Touch the Future of Reading" screen appears, count to 5 and let go

If the screen turns off while you're holding the buttons, repeat the process and count faster ;)

Or you could let off the power button when "Touch the future of Reading" appears and not accidentally turn it right back off... simply hold the 'n' button the five seconds...

tony1208

This has been answered in many threads,

You do not have to wipe data between nightlys.

It does help to wipe the cache and dalvik cache.

Sorry I must be blind....thanks for the info .....i new at this just installed last nights update and now this one...
does the screen capture work on this release?? all i was getting was black screens when trying with drocap2 last night..

busyychild

Sep 8, 2010
Having an issue with retainig my oc' in CM7/Phiremod. I have Dalingrin's Froyo/CM7 eMMC kernel flashed. In CM7 under CyanogenMod Settings I can choose 1000/1100 and everything runs fine, however when I reboot it does not retain the oc'. It reverts back to 800mhz default. This is with "Set on Boot" Checked or unchecked.

Can anyone comment on this? Thanks guys.

elwood1229

Jan 24, 2011
Problem with Nightly 6. Used Rom Manager to boot into recovery. Wiped cache only. Flashed nightly 6. Upon boot, I received an error message on boot that the status bar could not load (reported it had something to do with a process, but I did not note which process). When boot completed, I received the same message and had to force close. Flashed a second time with same result. Now going back to Nightly 5.

isamu

Feb 20, 2006
Downtown Canada
yeah it's a problem with the nightly 6 build (in the DEV thread), it broke something for the status bar. Everyone who flashed it has the same issue, if you installed the .zip for the remapping of the soft keys to the volume keys, at least you'll still have those buttons.

Reactions: grexian

spikey911

Jan 14, 2008
I have the same issue.

It seems that the charge indicator is not quite accurate.

Mine will also sit at 99% after all night...The green light on the cable will be on, but it will still indicate 99%.
Happened again this morning, only this time it hit 99% and no green light after an hour so the calibration seems to be off somewhere.

Fyi, happened again, took pictures if needed.

Charging 99%, Green light on..

Bawb3

Dec 1, 2010
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Nightly 6 also FC the status bar and the settings when picking wifi settings. Went back to 5.

I'm also getting fairly frequent phantom screen presses / lockups across all the cm7 builds including phiremod and the nightlies. Locking then unlocking stops them temorarily.

Using dalangrins 1.1ghz kernel

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

dalingrin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 6, 2007
Looks like nightly 6 is borked due to some WIMAX patches that got merged earlier today.

Be prepared to have to wipe on nightly build 7. I've moved the nook to hdpi to help workaround some theme engine bugs in CM7 that causes choppy 2d. HDPI doesn't completely fix the issue but it helps. It looks like the theme engine is having trouble scaling for both us and G tablet. It may take a bit for the CM guys working on the theme engine to get the problem fixed so, hang in there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In an effort to completely document the "Going to CM7 and Coming Back from CM7" experience for myself and my fellow rooters, I have compiled the following diary of install. Please let me know if there are missing steps or extraneous steps that can be removed. Remember please that I am trying to COMPLETELY document the process (at least as much as pertains directly to CM7) and the audience is for everyone, even real noobs who you know will be trying this and crying about some dumb mistake. Thanks for your feedback.

Before beginning:
    1. Booted into Recovery
    2. Created new nand backup
    3. Removed and stored MAIN sd

Using a new and different sd:
    1. created 4gb CWR_ext4_0.1 bootable SD [Followed process here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=959240]
    2. moved flashable zip of CM7 to SD [edit: now using latest nightly found here: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/forum/228-nightly-builds/]
    3. moved latest gapps to SD [Found here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version/Google_Apps
    4. moved latest Froyo/CM7 overclock kernel to SD [Found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=925451]
    4. insert into NC

Installing
    1. boot with bootable sd (CWR_ext4_0.1 - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6)
    2. 'mounts and storage' --> format /system ; /data ; /cache
    3. back to main menu
    4. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "latest_CM7_nightly.zip"
    5. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip"
    6. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "update-1100mhz-froyo_CM7-emmc-cwm.zip" [if desired]
    8. reboot

First Boot
    1. (got chills seeing that little cm7 droid boot animation)
    2. @ Welcome to NookColor --> waited full 5 minutes for system to settle (?)
    3. tapped Droid to begin setup
    4. waited for Notification Bar to show WiFi available --> dragged down to open
    5. Selected my router and logged in
    6. Used built in 'Back Button' in top right of notification bar to go back to setup
    7. @ Set up your Google Account --> signed in
    8. @ Market Apps Installer - IMPORTANT: Read This! --> OK
    9. @ Choose the apps to install --> preference i guess (gmail and google search were already installed - I added YouTube) --> ok
    10. above took me to YouTube install screeen from market, seleceted Install then OK
    11. @ Use Google Location --> i uncheck both since it's not a phone --> Next
    12. @ Back up data --> i uncheck again --> Next
    13. "Your Google Account is now linked to this phone" --> Finish setup
    14. now to set time prefferences --> personal preference here (set time zone and current time will adjust) --> Next
    15. WOOT! CM7 Home Screen!
    16. Open Apps --> Settings --> CyanogenMod Settings --> Lockscreen --> Style Options --> Lockscreen style --> change to Sliding Tab (this is because the Rotary wheel isn't sized right yet and is real hard to use currently)
    17. back @ Settings --> Applications --> check allow for Unknown Sources
    18. open Market --> downloaded Titanium Backup
    19. Ran batch restore to replace missing user apps
    20. Open and tested each user app (some worked, some didn't - but it's early)

First Backup
    1. Power off NC
    3. 'backup and restore' --> 'Backup' (this creates nand backup to the SD card of the installed system)
    5. reboot

First Nightly Update
    1. Download latest nightly (http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/forum/228-nightly-builds/)
    2. Place new file onto the bootable ext4 SD
    3. boot with bootable sd (CWR_ext4_0.1 - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6)
    4. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "latest_nightly.zip"
    5. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "update-1100mhz-froyo_CM7-emmc-cwm.zip" [if needed, at this time the nightly will restore original clock speed]
    8. reboot

Restoring a nand backup of CM7
    1. Power off NC
    3. 'backup and restore' --> 'Restore' (select the backup you wish to restore - usually one with most recent date)
    5. reboot

Reverting back to any other AOSP
    **This requires having a seperate SD card or overwriting the image of the ext4 card
    **All files needed are available as part of the
    ** "Monster RootPack/Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD" [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=922870]
    ** "Nook Color Restore to Stock" [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=914690]
    **You will need the following files:
    ** CWR-removal.zip (both threads have a CWR removal file or two, take your pick)
    ** repartition-boot-with-stock.zip
    ** your most recent NON-CM7 nand backup -OR- your preferred stock recovery .zip
    1. Power off NC
    2. boot with bootable sd (original_CWR - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.5) [one made using the Monster RootPack thread]
    3. 'mounts and storage' --> format /system ; /data ; /cache (this is for good measure)
    3. back to main menu
    4. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "CWR-removal.zip"
    5. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "repartition-boot-with-stock.zip"
    ** If restoring to a nand backup, skip to step 9
    6. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "nook-complete-restore-1.0.x.zip"
    8. reboot (you should boot to stock and unrooted)(AND DONT DO STEPS 9-11) [you can now re-root with autonooter instructions]
    ** Only complete these steps if restoring a nand backup and NOT restoring to stock
    9. 'backup and restore' --> 'Restore' (select the backup you wish to restore - usually one with most recent date)
    10. 'mounts and storage' --> unmount sdcard --> remove sdcard
    11. reboot (you should be back to a working version, rooted and full of joy)
    Signal bars
    Signal icon should be fixed in next nightly: http://review.cyanogenmod.com./#change,10233

SOD
    Also, please test the kernel. This silly SOD problem is the bane of my existence because I cannot reproduce. Really need someone to give feedback on that kernel so I know how to move forward.

ICS
    Work is underway to get legacy device(thats us) to work with ICS. These legacy hal changes will make it easier to support the Nook Color but we still need to either backport DSS and SGX drivers for update to a new kernel. Both of these options are a good bit of work and won't happen overnight so please be patient. =)
    2.6.32 kernel for CM7 is mostly complete.

+ Sleep fixed
    + Able to build a new wifi module finally. *Should* fix wifi issues.
    - Hardware overlay does not work
    - No bluetooth yet. We are trying a completely different method to init and communicate with bluetooth. This will take a little time.

No hardware overlay causes higher resolution videos to be a little choppy. I am going to continue to work on this tomorrow and hopefully have something to post.
    QUICK FAQ - 2/19/11

Q: WHAT IS THIS?

A developer port of Cyanogenmod 7 for the encore device, which has been in development for about two months starting in early January and has only recently been deemed good enough for a wider range of developers to use.​

Q: WHERE TO GET NEWS ON PROGRESS?

I will tweet progress from time to time.
    Twitter: @dalingrin

We are usually in #nookie on freenode.

You can always check the Cyanogen git@ http://github.com/cyanogenmod

Q: WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOESN'T?

As of this writing, most things do work-- touchscreen, wifi, sound, accelerometer, etc.
    See the issue list here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=960537

Q: How do report a bug I find?

PLEASE post logs to pastebin.com and include them in your report.
    To grab android logs you can run "adb logcat -d > log.txt"
    This will output the log to the log.txt file and can then be posted on www.pastebin.com

Kernel logs can be had by running "adb shell dmeg > dmesg.txt"
    This will output the dmesg log to dmesg.txt for easy posting on www.pastebin.com

Use this template to post a bug in this thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Which build are you running? Please mention any customizations:
    App or process having the problem:

Steps to reproduce the problem:

Describe the issue as well as you can:

Relevant logs(logcat, dmesg)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: WHO PORTED THIS?

Cyanogenmod itself is the creation of thousands of developers.

A vast team from around the world including members of Team Douche as well as unaffiliated individual developers have been collaborating for about two months on this port. Additional contributions continue to come from around the Internet. You are invited to help by contributing YOUR fixes.​

Q: WILL CM7 RUN OFF OF AN SD CARD? OR DOES IT USE THE INTERNAL STORAGE OF MY DEVICE?

The nightly builds are intended to run entirely off the internal storage device. Should you decide to install one of those .zip files, you should expect to overwrite whatever was installed in those partitions.

It is critical to understand that CM7 is development software that may cause serious issues, loss of data, and/or other problems with your device and to your life in general. By loading and/or running the software, you must understand and accept full responsibility for your actions and all consequences and agree to adhere to the varied licenses and terms and conditions that comprise the software.

Q: IS THERE AN SD-ONLY "BOOTABLE" VERSION?

Not from the nighty builds. However-- should someone want to create such a bootable SD-- (warning: Slightly technical answer:) all it would take to create one is a new uRamdisk file with the partitions in init.encore.rc pointing to the correct partitions on the SD card.​

Q: I AM AWARE OF THE RISKS AND ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHATEVER RESULTS. WHERE DO I GET THIS?

Cyanogenmod 7 for encore is available as a nightly build. See the XDA dev thread for download and development discussion:​

Q: WHAT IS "ENCORE" ANYWAY?

Cyanogenmod has a fun little convention to name ports after the device's original project name.​

Q: WHERE IS THE SOURCE?

On Github.com.​

Q: I'M A "TECCHY" PERSON-- WHAT KERNEL DOES THIS USE?

A somewhat-modified version of the "stock" 2.6.29 source provided by Barnes & Noble (in accordance with the GPL). Changes to this kernel include a fix for a temperature bug, a fix to a cache race-condition resulting in kernel panics, ext4 support, and support for large block devices, among other things.

A port to 2.6.32 is currently underway that may facilitate improved "deeper" sleep.​

Q: IS THE KERNEL OVERCLOCKED?

Just like the original stock kernel, the CM7 kernel runs at 800Mhz. However, you may overclock the default kernel to 925mhz through Cyanogenmod Settings. Cyanogenmod has a policy to not include voltage modified kernels. If you want a faster overclock see Dalingrin's 1.1 Ghz kernel: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=925451

Use entirely at your own risk.​

Q: WHAT ARE THESE OTHER VERSIONS OF CM7-BASED ROMS?

Because CM7 is open-source software, people are free to modify it as they wish and re-release, provided they are compliant with the terms of the original licenses. The CM7 developers have nothing to do with these derivative releases, which may or may not be of decent quality.
    Q: WHEN WILL THE FINAL VERSION BE RELEASED?

When it's ready. Please do not ask this, as it is considered the mark of a newb. In the meanwhile, nightlies are rolling out every evening with the improvements from that day, not only to the encore port in particular, but to Cyanogenmod in general.​
    ooop sorry i meant a flashable zip with just the new driver and installable on existing cm7.1 release.

thx.

I created flashable zips that just installs the files needed to fix the signal bar issue and wifi driver to prevent SODs. I have shown the links below. Just install with CWM Recovery or ROM Manager. To install with RM, go to "install ROM from SD" and follow prompts. Be sure to choose "wipe Dalvik". These work with emmc installed CM7. I don't know if they work with SD installs.

This zip is for CM 7.1 stable and recent nightlies that have the 2.6.32.9 kernel. (Look in settings/about tablet)

Install zip (SOD fix only):
    http://d01.megashares.com/index.php?d01=8VPCE7N

I am also including a zip for recent nightlies (234 and above) that have signal bar issues.

Install zip (SOD fix and signal bar fix)
    http://d01.megashares.com/index.php?d01=KFyOSYg

I am also providing the links for just the files if you want to install them manually.

Wifi driver/module:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?61b1nzzt8kq62hx

Signal bar fix:
    http://d01.megashares.com/?d01=ed8d5d9

Thanks to Embedded and Keyodi for the original files.