"[ROOT] Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE (SGH-i957) *updated 2/10/2012*"

Search This thread

orlandoxpolice

Mar 6, 2007
Just curious - is there any reason that root requires a modded kernel?

Would it minimally suffice to just flash CWM to a fresh i957 and then apply the correct su.zip from CWM? Or are there root apps that wouldn't work under those circumstances?

Or perhaps there is a mistake in the Method 1 instructions. When it says "7. Hit Start - the modded kernel should will be flashed to the tablet. Tablet will restart." should that be recovery rather than kernel?

When just flashing the recovery in Odin, does that trip the internal flash counter too?

Thank you for pointing that out. I made the change in method 1. Method one is stock kernel with only cwm and su.zip

matt310

Jan 7, 2007
I just picked up one of these from CL for a great price and was a little disappointed to see it lag so much - until I saw all the bloatware AT&T threw on it. It obviously needs a root and removal of these crap apps.

I have had a Captivate and have an I777 SGS2 with CM9 Nightly running reasonably well, so I'm definitely not a stranger to flashing, using ODIN or running ADB commands. However, having said that, the two root methods for the i957 are baffling to me. I would love a little help in making sure I root my tablet the proper way and do not cause the incremental flash counter to register.

The wifi model seems to only need the root folder placed on it via Kies and then rebooted into recovery and flashed. This is how I'm used to doing it. Why is the AT&T LTE version so different? Are there updated methods for rooting the i957 since this thread was first created?

Thanks for shedding some light on this for me!!

Scarchunk

Sep 14, 2008
The wifi model seems to only need the root folder placed on it via Kies and then rebooted into recovery and flashed. This is how I'm used to doing it. Why is the AT&T LTE version so different? Are there updated methods for rooting the i957 since this thread was first created?

Thanks for shedding some light on this for me!!

We seem to have similar taste in android devices. I also have the captivate,i777 sgs2, and galaxy tab 8.9 lte combo.

You can root this tablet without tripping the flash counter. The red text on the first page needs updating, as method 1 doesn't trip the flash counter. Its the same method you describe for the wifi version. Flash CWM recovery via odin then flash the root package via CWM.

The reason people were tripping their flash counters was because they were installing da_g's pre-rooted kernel via odin. I packaged a CWM flashable version of his kernel and posted it in this thread a few pages back. This would also give you a rooted device with no flash counter. As long as you don't flash a kernel or rom that includes kernel via odin, you won't touch the flash counter.

Reactions: matt310

KitF

Dec 14, 2010
Philadelphia
kit.im
Quick question: Why is a custom kernel needed for a custom boot animation? Surely the default one must live SOMEWHERE on the partition to be replaced.

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
You need root access to get to the boot animation, and you need a custom kernel to gain root on the Tab LTE.

testulous

Aug 23, 2010
Vancouvre
I'd bet you can flash the stock ATT firmware when it rolls out just by using the OTA upgrade checker in honeycomb. Kernel won't make a difference.

brilliant

Feb 16, 2008
Hi, Is the GSM phone call enabled with this ROM? thanks

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Read my post, pretty well covers it. It nukes the AT&T firmware bloat, even Communications Manager. It's gone. My TI backups are still intact and I suppose I could restore the apps if I really wanted to, but since I'm not using AT&T none of it is necessary for me. And there's always the old AT&T firmware to flash back to if needed.

It wipes System applications, but will preserve all user-installed settings and applications. It'll also overwrite the root kernel, so you'll need to flash it again, along with CWM if you had that installed (actually, if you flash CWM first, then the CWM version of the kernels, you won't increase the flash counter).

It seems a bit faster (placebo or losing the bloat?), it's two months newer, it has the lawsuit-avoidance unlock screen, latest Market, it lets you select EDGE/HSPA/LTE preferences (EDGE only, WCDMA only, LTE only, auto), WiFi hotspot functionality is enabled, there is absolutely no Telus bloatware, you get full Samsung Accounts access (including Samsung's app store, which often has premium paid apps for free), Samsung's DIVE service, etc.

Hi, Croak. I am new to here, but I wonder if the GSM phone call is enabled in this new firmware? Also I wonder where I can get the ATT old firmware when necessary? thanks you so much for sharing.

quitofire532

Jul 4, 2012
Ontario, Canada
noob question

So, if I rooted my tab with method one, and I factory reset everything, where does that leave my tablet? Would it be bricked? Would it remove the root? I read somewhere that once you root, you can't update nor can you factory reset. I just want to know before I screw something up. Thanks so much!

tdisonline

Jul 7, 2012
Bricked my tablet

Hi, I think I bricked my tablet while trying to root it with Method 1 described here. Can any one help me unbrick it? Any way i can recover from this?

orlandoxpolice

Mar 6, 2007
So, if I rooted my tab with method one, and I factory reset everything, where does that leave my tablet? Would it be bricked? Would it remove the root? I read somewhere that once you root, you can't update nor can you factory reset. I just want to know before I screw something up. Thanks so much!

factory reset will *almost* never brick your device, and in this case it wont. i have factory reset many times with both methods and it is fine. You probably dont want to do a kies or ota update with a custom kernel or a custom recovery, which these both have, so in that case you would just odin back to stock and go from there. You can definitely factory reset no matter what. the only time i wouldnt recommend it is if a cm9 comes out for the tab, funny things happen with factory resets which arent done from the recovery menu, but that may have been fixed.

i have to update the OP, i would actually recommend TWRP instead of CWM from now on.

Reactions: quitofire532

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    People have requested that the initial thread from the general section be cleaned up into a step by step, so here goes. This is ONLY FOR HONEYCOMB 3.2 for the SGH-i957.

NEXT WARNING: USE OF ODIN CAN DAMAGE YOUR PHONE IF USED INCORRECTLY. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DUE TO FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Method 1

This is for people who want to keep the stock kernel. This will not trip the flash counter.

1. Download and Install the Samsung Drivers for your device. Install Kies, or the latest mobile drivers.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=961956
    2. Download CWM Recovery (courtesy of utkanos)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9459955/recovery/testing/SGHI957/v2/CWMR5x_i957_recovery.tar.md5
    2. Download Odin 1.85
    http://www.mediafire.com/?cghfk06lcfiwi29
    3. Open Odin 1.85 as administrator
    4. Place the CWMR.tar file in the PDA slot. (Make sure you do not have any boxes in the options panel checked besides the ones that were checked when opening the program - should only be auto reboot and f.reset time)
    5. Place the tablet in download mode. Hold vol up + vol down and hold power until the device powers on into download mode. Hit volume up to proceed after the warning screen
    6. Plug the tablet into the computer on a main usb slot and it will be detected by Odin in one of the ID:COM slots (will appear as yellow)
    7. Hit Start - cwm recovery should will be flashed to the tablet. Tablet will restart.
    8. Download superuser.zip from the skyrocket forums (courtesy Copperhed)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4h8cmh287mcxuf8
    9. Copy superuser.zip to the tablet
    10. Reboot into recovery (Power + Volume Up)
    11. Navigate to 'Install zip from SD card' and select 'superuser.zip'. You will get an SD Card error when it is done installing, this is normal.

You are now rooted with stock kernel.

Method 2

This is Da_G's work. This will trip your flash counter.

Steps:
    1. Download and Install the Samsung Drivers for your device. Install Kies, or the latest mobile drivers.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=961956
    2. Download Da_G's modded kernel
    http://ponack.net/TPC/dagnarf/sgh-i957-rooted-kernel-v2.tar
    2. Download Odin 1.85
    http://www.mediafire.com/?cghfk06lcfiwi29
    3. Open Odin 1.85 as administrator
    4. Place the modded kernel .tar file in the PDA slot. (Make sure you do not have any boxes in the options panel checked besides the ones that were checked when opening the program - should only be auto reboot and f.reset time)
    5. Place the tablet in download mode. Hold vol up + vol down and hold power until the device powers on into download mode. Hit volume up to proceed after the warning screen
    6. Plug the tablet into the computer on a main usb slot and it will be detected by Odin in one of the ID:COM slots (will appear as yellow)
    7. Hit Start - the modded kernel should will be flashed to the tablet. Tablet will restart.
    8. Go into market and download the Superuser App.

Optional - you can flash the stock kernel back using steps 3-7 above.
    http://ponack.net/TPC/dagnarf/stock-kernel-odin-image-for-sgh-i957.tar

Changes in Da_G's Kernel

Changes in this kernel:
    ADB Insecure (gives you # root prompt at adb instead of $)
    su, busybox added to ramdisk
    script to install busybox and su at boot-up
    init.d support for running init.d scripts at bootup
    stock android bootanimation (so you can run custom boot anims)

***Note: User Croak flashed the stock ATT Firmware to his Bell device and successfully used this root method afterwards.***

Initial Development Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1390522

Credits:
    Huge thanks to Da_G for doing ALL of the work on the modified kernel without owning the device.
    Croak and Blackberrynomore for being the first to test!
    Scarchunk for the CWM kernel zips!
    I am working on a ROM/Recovery for you guys now, need some testers with adb knowledge in irc.irondust.net #skyrocket :)
    Do we have a zip version of kernel to flash though CWM laying around somewhere?

Here's CWM flashable zips of the three available kernels for our device. Da_G's root kernel, his OC kernel, and the stock kernel. This should make it easy for everyone to switch between kernels without having to fire up Odin each time. I've tested each one quite a few times on my device.

All credit goes to Da_G, I just packaged them for my own convenience.
    I wonder if installing CWM through odin, and then installing superuser.zip from this link would work...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1340526

Edit: it works - updated original post.
    I F'ed up and flashed the wrong CWM and now have soft brick trying to root my i957. Is there a stock rom I can flash back to through odin? I've been searching high and low. Google also isn't my friend on this one. I'm stuck at a firmware upgrad encounterd an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again. But it's not even recognised in Kies at all to do any level of an restore. But the tab is seen in odin on com3. PM any info as I'm heading home from work if there's any useful help for my du-mass moment of the day.

http://www.hotfile.com/dl/135905448/56fb22e/I957UCKJ7_I957ATTKJ7_ATT.zip.html
    zip password is samfirmware.com or samfirwares.com

Unzip it, flash it in the PDA of Odin, don't change any of the Odin checkboxes. That SHOULD get you back up to speed, since your bootloader is still intact (as indicated by the ! screen).

And as you may have figured out, there is no CWM for the 8.9 LTE right now...just the Root kernel, or the Root+OC kernel.