How To: Block Ads On Non-Rooted Systems

Search This thread

yumms

Dec 13, 2010
Its done via DNS blocking. You'll need to go into network settings in TFP, long hold on your wifi connection and click modify network. Then you must click on 'Use Static IP'.

IP address Choose a static address, just keep the current value as it should automatically be filled in.
Gateway will also be router's address
Netmask should be 255.255.255.0

Now the most important change to make is on DNS 1 and on DNS 2 settings. Put the following DNS servers on TFP's DNS settings.

These servers are provided by http://www.adbarricade.com/ - dedicated to blocking ads

These servers are provided by http://www.fooldns.com/fooldns-community/english-version/ - dedicated to blocking ads, tracking cookies, maleware, ect. These are located outside of US, so it would be slower for some depending on your location.

There are provided by http://www.opendns.com - the fastest of the bunch. This is not for ad blocking specifically but it can block ads. (see below)

You'll need to register with OpenDNS, in settings go to web filtering and put in any domain you want to block. Only thing is that its limited to blocking 25 domains.

These domains should get rid of ads on most sites.

ad.doubleclick.net
ad.yieldmanager.com
adadvisor.net
adlog.com.com
ads.mobilityware.com
adservices.google.com
advertising.com
apps.mobilityware.com
b.scorecardresearch.com
campaign-tapad.s3.amazonaws.com
ctxt.tribalfusion.com
google-analytics.com
googleadservices.com
ib.adnxs.com
intellitxt.com
media.admob.com
media.mobpartner.mobi
munchkin.marketo.net
origin.collective-media.net
pagead2.googlesyndication.com
pixel.quantserve.com
static.ak.fbcdn.net
swappit.tapad.com
view.atdmt.com
zedo.com

Last edited:

Bait-Fish

Aug 10, 2011
Southern California
Great post. I've been using OpenDNS on my home network and devices for years.

Something I experienced when my laptop was set to use OpenDNS, similar to your guide, is the public library WiFi network didn't allow my custom DNS setting.

In order to get any service there, I had to set my laptop adapter's DNS setting back to Auto and it would work. Just a heads up on case someone is having trouble while out and about.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: patcou

mata77

Apr 6, 2010
tnx bro for help..have any question:

"You'll need to register with OpenDNS, in settings go to web filtering and put in any domain you want to block. Only thing is that its limited to blocking 25 domains"

my setting have only security, customization, stats logs and advanced settings..but not see "web filtering"..help me pls?

yumms

Dec 13, 2010
tnx bro for help..have any question:

"You'll need to register with OpenDNS, in settings go to web filtering and put in any domain you want to block. Only thing is that its limited to blocking 25 domains"

my setting have only security, customization, stats logs and advanced settings..but not see "web filtering"..help me pls?

Click on dashboard, settings, click on your IP address, then you'll see the content filtering settings.

benefit14snake

Dec 23, 2011
Henrico, VA
For gods sake people. I read the god damn op. I was just saying thanks for making this. I'm already taken care of because I'm unlocked but it is nice to see effort put towards people that are not. Don't ****ing assume.

This forum is going to **** on a daily basis because everyone has a stick up their ass.

All I said was I USE ADFREE BUT THANKS FOR MAKING THIS.

Edit: didn't mean to come off as such an a hole but it is frustrating when people assume you don't read the op just because you say thanks. I really love xda but I've found myself avoiding the general section because it is plauged with trolls. I really love flashing and modifying my devices and usually when I post it is to either say thanks or tell about my experiences but apparently some people have nothing better to do than try to flame people. Thanks to the op for providing a great option to unrooted people. Thanks to the devs that make xda as great as it is. Thanks to any members that have helped me when I needed it. Trolls please just go away you are ruining this amazing forum.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Bait-Fish

Aug 10, 2011
Southern California
Either I'm overthinking this or there's one more piece to make this work seamlessly.

On my laptop, I keep a program running, OpenDNS Updater, so when my ISP changes my dynamic IP, it updates my OpenDNS account. Or, if I take it out somewhere to another WiFi, it updates my account and carries my settings to requests to OpenDNS from that new IP.

I haven't seen an app to do that for Android. If your ISP changes your IP or you go out and use your device on a different WiFi than home, where you probably first associated OpenDNS to, then you won't be using custom settings, only OpenDNS' default public profile. The system can't tell it's you elsewhere unless you tell it.

You can manually update IP addresses from the web interface but that's not easy to remember.

I didn't see an app that would update OpenDNS.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

teh_lorax

Aug 31, 2006
Its done via DNS blocking. You'll need to go into network settings in TFP, long hold on your wifi connection and click modify network. Then you must click on 'Use Static IP'.

IP address will be your router's address

Uhhh, not sure how this could work when your IP is the same as the gateway. Was that a typo?

yumms

Dec 13, 2010
Can't see "content filering settings" section too. The only ones present are Security, Customization, Stats and Logs, Advanced Settings. Am I missing something?

Have you added a network yet? Under dashboard, click settings and click add this network. Under "your networks" click on your ip address for the filter settings.
Uhhh, not sure how this could work when your IP is the same as the gateway. Was that a typo?
Whoops, you're right, that shouldn't be.

Last edited:

Ardito

Oct 12, 2007
Piacenza
Have you added a network yet? Under dashboard, click settings and click add this network. Under "your networks" click on your ip address for the filter settings.

I think I've found the solution. From OpenDNS support forum:
"OpenDNS Use At Home:
If you plan on using OpenDNS at home and also plan on using our web content filtering services, please click the 'Get Started' link under 'Parental Controls' to create an account"

If you choose "Premium DNS" instead of "Parental Control" during the registration, the content filtering section is missing.
Now I have to open a support ticket for change that setting. After that, all should be fine.

Thank you for sharing this useful trick.

Ardito.

barisko

Jul 21, 2011
AdBarricade doesn't seem to block in app ads.
At least not with a few I'm running...

---
Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

yumms

Dec 13, 2010
If using OpenDNS make sure to block Business Services category, it blocks crap load ad servers. Along with Adware category of course.

Rustednail

Dec 26, 2009
Hi everyone. This is probably my first post on the forum, but I have been a lurker for a little while now.

@yumms: Excellent Post. Good work and thanks for sharing this awesome technique and information.

I would like to point out, also, that you can edit your routers DNS server to one of the suggested DNS IPs yumms posted. If your router allows it, you to turn off automatically assigned DNS and enter in a different DNS IP address then what your ISP uses.

I do not know enough about all routers, but my Netgear WNR3500 has the DNS settings on the basic settings section. I suspect that most will have a similar setting; but, I can guess that modem/wireless router combo supplied by an ISP may not.

Doing this blocked ads for every device on my network, laptops, tablets, ipads, etc

My apologies if this is common knowledge and has been posted many times before.

mooz1

Dec 19, 2011
Is this for PC or android phone cause I held on my WiFi on my phone until my finger turned blue and nothing happens. I googled and got here because mobpartner is driving me crazy. When I enlarge the page to see better mobpartner ad enlarges until it takes all the screen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

IP address Choose a static address, just keep the current value as it should automatically be filled in.

Now the most important change to make is on DNS 1 and on DNS 2 settings. Put the following DNS servers on TFP's DNS settings.

These servers are provided by http://www.adbarricade.com/ - dedicated to blocking ads

These servers are provided by http://www.fooldns.com/fooldns-community/english-version/ - dedicated to blocking ads, tracking cookies, maleware, ect. These are located outside of US, so it would be slower for some depending on your location.

There are provided by http://www.opendns.com - the fastest of the bunch. This is not for ad blocking specifically but it can block ads. (see below)

You'll need to register with OpenDNS, in settings go to web filtering and put in any domain you want to block. Only thing is that its limited to blocking 25 domains.

These domains should get rid of ads on most sites.

ad.doubleclick.net
    ad.yieldmanager.com
    adadvisor.net
    adlog.com.com
    ads.mobilityware.com
    adservices.google.com
    advertising.com
    apps.mobilityware.com
    b.scorecardresearch.com
    campaign-tapad.s3.amazonaws.com
    ctxt.tribalfusion.com
    google-analytics.com
    googleadservices.com
    ib.adnxs.com
    intellitxt.com
    media.admob.com
    media.mobpartner.mobi
    munchkin.marketo.net
    origin.collective-media.net
    pagead2.googlesyndication.com
    pixel.quantserve.com
    static.ak.fbcdn.net
    swappit.tapad.com
    view.atdmt.com
    zedo.com
    I use Adfree, but I thanked you anyways. Super cool post, thanks for taking the time to post it!

Sent from my EEEPAD using Tapatalk 2

AdFree is simpler to use for people with Root, but there are some people who do not want to root their Prime, and some who simply can't (damn .21 update), and this is a good alternative for them :)
    Great post. I've been using OpenDNS on my home network and devices for years.

Something I experienced when my laptop was set to use OpenDNS, similar to your guide, is the public library WiFi network didn't allow my custom DNS setting.

In order to get any service there, I had to set my laptop adapter's DNS setting back to Auto and it would work. Just a heads up on case someone is having trouble while out and about.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk
    Does anyone have an updated list of top 25 Ads serving domains to block via OpenDns?

Specifically, I am trying to block Ad-Choices Ads.