[Q] how do i change the kernel splash screen?

Search This thread

thachosenone

Dec 20, 2010
so i'm in the process of testing out the bali kernel by drhonk, came from categorically worthless....

i just wanna know how to change the kernel splash screen to further personalize my phone.

i understand that these kernel devs want to put their trademark image in there, but the kernel splash image for bali just doesn't match my overall theme....

i have seen the video about the lfs partition for captivates, but i dont wanna risk it since i have a vibrant running a vibrant based rom.(bionix v 1.3.1)

any ideas?

geoffcorey

Apr 24, 2010
You can change the "BIOS" splash image, aka the lfs partition, but you can't change the kernel splash as it's hard coded into the kernel.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

geoffcorey

Apr 24, 2010
That is incorrect, you CAN change the kernel boot screen, the OP's question is how?
You can change it if you download a new kernel, or download the kernel developer's source code, change the screen and then recompile the kernel.

Those are tthe ONLY two ways...

Last edited:

265ada

Dec 16, 2008
FUGLY splash screen

I'd love to change or REMOVE the splash screen in any if not all of these kernels how do I do so I am using MIUI so themes mean something to me and that doesn't match any of my themes z.z

geoffcorey

Apr 24, 2010
I'd love to change or REMOVE the splash screen in any if not all of these kernels how do I do so I am using MIUI so themes mean something to me and that doesn't match any of my themes z.z

Again, if you read the post right above you, it's the same answer. You must change it in the kernel source, and then compile.

There is no way around it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

Gantori

Apr 11, 2022
You can change it if you download a new kernel, or download the kernel developer's source code, change the screen and then recompile the kernel.

Those are tthe ONLY two ways...

I am dealing with "chinese" Android 11 TV box, getting a copy of the kernel source is probably impossible, more likely it's not something that can be de-compiled (educated guess).

Are there generic public kernels that I could download?
Are kernels on Android tightly bound to particular device hardware or are they simply the core of linux and Android is linux shell?

(I would like to think of kernels NOT the same thing as firmware right? since the later is even lower level burried into HW ROMs?)

if generic public kernels exists please point me where I could download one, to try to change the "kernel splash bitmap"

After recompiling a kernel by downloading you mean same thing as what other refer to as flashing and image to the device?

Sorry about all my confusion, I appreciate any insights, Thank you!!!

Top Liked Posts