NEW FIX for screen separation issue! (tested & working by most members already)

Search This thread

dilldoe

Jul 26, 2012
originally made this in the original screen fix thread
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29363298&postcount=638

... I'll probably just forget about it. I'm glad that this fix is working for everyone though and I definitely think it deserves it's own thread for those that don't feel like digging through 75 pages of potential fixes

Making this, detailed step-by-step, for those who don't want to dig thru that thread (Hopefully I'm not violating any rules. If so, Mods please replace my original post with this one)

ok I think I've discover the cause of the lift.
Got a replacement due to screen lift and guess what the new one had a slight lift on the lower left.

I figure must be a loose screw, it's not as bad as the old one where the whole left side bulged out.

So I open it and found all the screws to be snug. So I unscrewed the lower left, thinking it's too tight and that's where I discover the cause.

It's not that the screws are too loose, it's that there isn't enough space between the frame & the glass. So the tighter you screw it in, the further you're pushing the screen out, causing the lift.

Here's the simple solution I came up with.

wLIgW.jpg

You'll need the following:
Nexus 7 with back cover removed
Pill Blister Pack (Allergy pills from walmart shown)
Small screwdrivers
Scissors and/or knife
Sewing Needle (not pictured)

needle nose pliers OPTIONAL (for those with thick fingers)

First you need to make a hole in the blister for the screw to go thru.
o3lsY.jpg

Here I'm using a sewing machine like a drill press to create my hole.

Next, cut out a rectangle and use your small screwdriver (Bigger than the needle, but smaller than the screw)
p7mvG.jpg

This will make the hole bigger for the screw to fit. While blister is still on screwdriver, use your knife and run it around the excess plastic created by the screwdriver.

Remove the blister and trim the corners so that it'll fit in the round frame
gmgYM.jpg

Remove the screw from the frame and slide the blister in between the frame
l6qum.jpg

Screw the screw back snug, DON'T OVER TORQUE IT!

ExcPQ.jpg

Right away the screen lift is gone where the blister is installed. Repeat for each screw where the screen is lifting up.

Cut away the excess so you can put the cover back on
6ybvD.jpg

Don't cut it flush to the frame, leave a little so you can grab it and remove it if you need to.
OPTIONAL - use a flathead to push that little bit down to eliminate any chance of obstructing the back cover.

Snap the back cover back on and enjoy your flush screen.
9CCkk.jpg

depending on how much lift you have, you might have to use 2 or more to fill the gap. But beware, the more you add the thicker the frame will be and you might run into issues with the back cover not fitting snug.

Joynted

Mar 26, 2011
ya!

After receiving my replacement today only to find out it had the same problem I tried this and so far so good! I hope it stays! Thank you for this!

Reactions: cwc3

cwc3

Oct 17, 2011
Awesome job :good:

Update: Failed. Spent Hour trying this. Keeps coming back just putting the case back on. Ill try again on Monday. Used same thickness plastic, then tried thinner, then tried IDE Floppy Cable (ASUS brand haha).

I am sending this back anyways. Here is my before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDIgiWFPgc

Tried it with 1 on top. 2 on top. 2 on bottom (Pictured below). All 4.

dTh6v.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2010
I'll confirm this is still working 24 hours later and feels more solid than it did when I first took It out of the box. Thank you so much! I started the RMA process and received the links to order my replacement when I read they hold another $225 from your account until they receive the original back and determine I caused no damage. You saved me a lot of time/hassle/and money being held from me for at least 1-2 weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

acroanidd

Jul 1, 2010
Yes thank you man, I tried it when you first posted it yesterday, I can vouch for the fix in this thread as i did the previous one, so happy that it is working for me and several others, it is well worth the 10-20 minutes to perform the fix.

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
I wish this would work on mine, but my problem is clearly related to a bad adhesive job. I'm almost tempted to re-glue it myself considering there is nothing else wrong with the thing but I'll give Google one more chance to send me a perfect one.

kieso

Mar 18, 2009
How about a donation link? I'd like to buy you a beer or 2 for your fix.

TaintedByte

May 24, 2009
Wonderful job with the pictures man, they really helped. I can confirm that this works perfect for me too. I just did not but the tablet immediately feels better. No squishyness at all. With the previous fix (tightening the screws) the screen still felt squishy. Nothing now. It feels just as sturdy as the right hand side.

Sent from my Nexus 7

acroanidd

Jul 1, 2010
I wish this would work on mine, but my problem is clearly related to a bad adhesive job. I'm almost tempted to re-glue it myself considering there is nothing else wrong with the thing but I'll give Google one more chance to send me a perfect one.

I initially thought mine may have been adhesive related.. but turns out after this fix, it really is not.

Edit: id highly suggest giving this a try, it isnt difficult, probably cannot be detected as "user modification" if you remove the makeshift washers. If you dont want to that's your call, but i think the problem is still fixable with this method.

Last edited:

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
I initially thought mine may have been adhesive related.. but turns out after this fix, it really is not.

Edit: id highly suggest giving this a try, it isnt difficult, probably cannot be detected as "user modification" if you remove the makeshift washers. If you dont want to that's your call, but i think the problem is still fixable with this method.

I dunno man, I can actually see underneath the glass on mine, that's how bad it is. I might give this a shot while I'm waiting for my replacement but I really don't expect it to do any good. I am happy for everybody who is finding success with this, just don't see myself being one of those lucky people.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

randroid123

Sep 13, 2010
I dunno man, I can actually see underneath the glass on mine, that's how bad it is. I might give this a shot while I'm waiting for my replacement but I really don't expect it to do any good. I am happy for everybody who is finding success with this, just don't see myself being one of those lucky people.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

I really would give this a shot...I'm convinced the issue is not adhesive related. My tab doesn't actually have a screen lift issue... it has been making a crunching sound that i discovered is actually just the black tape/insulation that the little black foam piece is glued to. If you remove the back cover and just fiddle with that black insulation you should hear the crunching i described. I am 90% sure that the crunching sound people are reporting is really not going to affect your devices integrity at all. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

saadi703

Jan 26, 2007
So far so good. Let's see whether it stays that way or not. The left side feel solid now :)

Thanks for the fix and the photos.

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
I just opened up my buddy's N7 with him, and check this out. It looks like the N7 already has some type of circular washers in this spot. OP, and those of you who have done this - did your N7s have these circular washers as well, or was that space totally hollow? I couldn't tell from your pictures. I've attached pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. It doesn't look like there's room in here to add the blister pack washers you guys are talking about, unless I really have to struggle to shove them in. Is it possible some N7s were missing these washers?

Attachments

• IMG_20120727_222314.jpg
    IMG_20120727_222314.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 2,211
  • IMG_20120727_222339.jpg
    IMG_20120727_222339.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 2,106
  • IMG_20120727_222350.jpg
    IMG_20120727_222350.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 2,086

compumasta

Jan 25, 2011
I just opened up my buddy's N7 with him, and check this out. It looks like the N7 already has some type of circular washers in this spot. OP, and those of you who have done this - did your N7s have these circular washers as well, or was that space totally hollow? I couldn't tell from your pictures. I've attached pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. It doesn't look like there's room in here to add the blister pack washers you guys are talking about, unless I really have to struggle to shove them in. Is it possible some N7s were missing these washers?

No, those were there on all of them. Those do not come out as far as i can tell. The blister washer goes in between the black round part and the back plate where the screw enters. Its snug but it should be, this will allow you to snug up the screws and alleviate the pressure on the screen. People seem to forget that only adhesive would not cause glass to bend, it would just sit loose but not protrude upward without a force behind it.

Reactions: nyijedi

honghsien5

Nov 22, 2011
I just did what op did and everything is working fine. Fantastic work!

ijeff

Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, QC
You, sir, are brilliant. I just did the fix and it seems to be holding well. I'll see how it is tomorrow but the logic behind it seems solid.

Thank you for sharing!

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
Performed the fix, and it seems to have fixed the problem on my friend's N7. The OP is smarter than stinking Asus! Bravo.

One minor issue on the N7 I did this on is the back doesn't seem to be completely flush with the bezel now in the area with the washers, but this beats the screen lifting.

bofslime

Jan 16, 2009
Orlando
Have people allowed enough time after performing this and rechecked their screens? Everyone was saying retorquing the screws was the fix, and it initially looked like it did help, but eventually the screen came back up.

yanksrock1000

Feb 23, 2012
Thanks for the fix, but to be honest all this seems to be ridiculous, there should be no defect in a product you had to pay good money for. I'm hoping a fix comes soon out of the box.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    originally made this in the original screen fix thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29363298&postcount=638

... I'll probably just forget about it. I'm glad that this fix is working for everyone though and I definitely think it deserves it's own thread for those that don't feel like digging through 75 pages of potential fixes

Making this, detailed step-by-step, for those who don't want to dig thru that thread (Hopefully I'm not violating any rules. If so, Mods please replace my original post with this one)

ok I think I've discover the cause of the lift.
    Got a replacement due to screen lift and guess what the new one had a slight lift on the lower left.

I figure must be a loose screw, it's not as bad as the old one where the whole left side bulged out.

So I open it and found all the screws to be snug. So I unscrewed the lower left, thinking it's too tight and that's where I discover the cause.

It's not that the screws are too loose, it's that there isn't enough space between the frame & the glass. So the tighter you screw it in, the further you're pushing the screen out, causing the lift.

Here's the simple solution I came up with.

wLIgW.jpg

You'll need the following:
    Nexus 7 with back cover removed
    Pill Blister Pack (Allergy pills from walmart shown)
    Small screwdrivers
    Scissors and/or knife
    Sewing Needle (not pictured)

needle nose pliers OPTIONAL (for those with thick fingers)

First you need to make a hole in the blister for the screw to go thru.
    o3lsY.jpg

Here I'm using a sewing machine like a drill press to create my hole.

Next, cut out a rectangle and use your small screwdriver (Bigger than the needle, but smaller than the screw)
    p7mvG.jpg

This will make the hole bigger for the screw to fit. While blister is still on screwdriver, use your knife and run it around the excess plastic created by the screwdriver.

Remove the blister and trim the corners so that it'll fit in the round frame
    gmgYM.jpg

Remove the screw from the frame and slide the blister in between the frame
    l6qum.jpg

Screw the screw back snug, DON'T OVER TORQUE IT!

ExcPQ.jpg

Right away the screen lift is gone where the blister is installed. Repeat for each screw where the screen is lifting up.

Cut away the excess so you can put the cover back on
    6ybvD.jpg

Don't cut it flush to the frame, leave a little so you can grab it and remove it if you need to.
    OPTIONAL - use a flathead to push that little bit down to eliminate any chance of obstructing the back cover.

Snap the back cover back on and enjoy your flush screen.
    9CCkk.jpg

depending on how much lift you have, you might have to use 2 or more to fill the gap. But beware, the more you add the thicker the frame will be and you might run into issues with the back cover not fitting snug.
    To be honest I don't know which I have enjoyed more, playing with the N7 itself or fiddling around trying to fix the screen :D
    ya!

After receiving my replacement today only to find out it had the same problem I tried this and so far so good! I hope it stays! Thank you for this!

No, those were there on all of them. Those do not come out as far as i can tell. The blister washer goes in between the black round part and the back plate where the screw enters. Its snug but it should be, this will allow you to snug up the screws and alleviate the pressure on the screen. People seem to forget that only adhesive would not cause glass to bend, it would just sit loose but not protrude upward without a force behind it.
    Why couldn't you just loosen the screw a thread or two rather than putting something in there to cause the case to bulge out? Seems like it would accomplish the same thing. Also why would it only be the left side that the screws are pushing the screen out? Seems like if the screws are too long, then the screen would be popping out around all sides.

I don't have this issue, just seems like if the screws were really too long, then just taking them back a few turns would take care of this rather than putting in pieces of a material to create a shim.