PLEASE help me troubleshoot my ridiculous battery drain!

Search This thread

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
Just to ask, have you tried adjuating wifi scan interval? You can try as well the xposed module, "wifi deep sleep". Helped minimize my wifi related drain

Yes to the scan interval, no to that xposed module.
At one point, I modified my build.prop to set the scan interval to 500. However, I also had pm.sleep_mode and ro.ril.disable.power.collapse in there at the same time.
Is that Xposed module in the downloads list in the Xposed Installer app?
EDIT: OK, so I found that Xposed module and I don't really want to try that. It basically turns wifi off in sleep mode and makes everything use mobile data. I have a 2GB plan shared between 3 people, so using too much data is a bad thing, which is why I mostly use wifi. If wifi turns off when I shut off the screen, then everything will be forced to used mobile data instead.
I am trying to wifi scan interval at 500 though. I'm currently running the rom newly flashed with no apps and default settings. Well, I do have BBS installed, but that's to monitor battery drain.

Update to all:
First, I have no idea why my last two posts were separate. Sorry if that caused problems somehow.

Second, I just reinstalled the ROM again, but this time, I'm testing my mods one-by-one. Then I'll try reinstalling apps this way too.
If I can find the drainer, I can restore my previous build knowing the solution. I hope.

ANOTHER UPDATE... Good ones? Maybe?:
I flashed the stock rom all over again last night and slowly added my mods (except GB and G2 TB) 1-by-1 and my phone kept sleeping every time.
I then flashed apps a few at a time and again, the phone slept.

I went to bed with the phone still connected to the wifi and charging. I unplugged it from the charger this morning and took a shower.
After my shower, I checked the phone and it was already down to 98%! The same wlan wakelocks were there and everything! Now, there is a good thing about this: lately, the phone would be down to 95% around this time, not 98%. So the drain was slower, but the phone was still very warm when the screen was off.

I then changed the wifi supplicant scan in the build.prop to 500s, rebooted the phone, and charged it back up to 100%. After that, the phone began to run cool and entered deep sleep. I even went over to my router and renamed the SSID, but kept wifi turnined on on my phone. This was to simulate me leaving on my wifi, but leaving the range of the signal. Phone still slept.
It's now been 28.5 minutes since charging to 100%. The phone has been in deep sleep 26 minutes and awake about 3 minutes. Drain has been 0% this entire time. The same kernel wakelocks are still there though.

So I have no idea if I just fixed the problem, or if this is a fluke. I'm not confident enough to declare it fixed because every time I do, the problem comes back (this is how my life works apparently).
I'm off from work today, so I'm going to continue monitoring it today. I work tomorrow though (I think), so I should be able to give the phone a more elaborate test.

Last edited:

zamajalo

Jun 22, 2014
Yes to the scan interval, no to that xposed module.
I then changed the wifi supplicant scan in the build.prop to 500s, rebooted the phone, and charged it back up to 100%. After that, the phone began to run cool and entered deep sleep. I even went over to my router and renamed the SSID, but kept wifi turnined on on my phone. This was to simulate me leaving on my wifi, but leaving the range of the signal. Phone still slept.
It's now been 28.5 minutes since charging to 100%. The phone has been in deep sleep 26 minutes and awake about 3 minutes. Drain has been 0% this entire time. The same kernel wakelocks are still there though.

You changed wifi.supplicant_scan_interval property, right? Can you tell me default value? My original build.prop doesn't have that variable.

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
You changed wifi.supplicant_scan_interval property, right? Can you tell me default value? My original build.prop doesn't have that variable.

As you just said, the build.prop doesn't have the value in there already, so I had to add it. I have no clue what the default value was since there was nothing there originally.

zamajalo

Jun 22, 2014
As you just said, the build.prop doesn't have the value in there already, so I had to add it. I have no clue what the default value was since there was nothing there originally.

Thanks, was just checking. Good to know for possible problems in near/far future.

Based on that, it is quite possible that your home router is acting weird... I'm glad you somehow managed to fix it and I hope that problem will not reoccur.

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
Thanks, was just checking. Good to know for possible problems in near/far future.

Based on that, it is quite possible that your home router is acting weird... I'm glad you somehow managed to fix it and I hope that problem will not reoccur.

I didn't say I fixed it, just reporting that drain is a little slower.
Android OS is still consuming 87%-95% of my battery life.

After a few hours, Android OS began to spike and now my battery is draining like crazy again.
I've done some research and this is apparently a problem many people are having, especially on the Nexus 5:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/y31AUZhMFsc[1-25-true]

Something in the Linux Kernel is sticking, causing it to run constantly and drain battery.
I thought it was wifi-related since 90% of my day is on wifi, but many people on that thread just linked to are reporting the problem with wifi off too. And it's completely random, just like mine!

I am really beginning to think that Kitkat is a piece of crap. It's bugged!

And my router settings have not changed in over a year. Everything worked PERFECTLY when on Jelly Bean. It wasn't until my phone updated to Kitkat that the problems started.

EDIT: It seems that the ATT G2 was also having similar problems, but back in April, ATT released an update that fixed it.
I'm really hoping we get an update too!!!! But why didn't they make the fix BEFORE releasing this Kitkat!?!?

Last edited:

zamajalo

Jun 22, 2014
Have you tried giving fixed IP to the phone? Also, in BBS, under Processes and Partial wakelocks, is there something suspicious or something running wild?

Sorry, but I'm running out of ideas.

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
Have you tried giving fixed IP to the phone? Also, in BBS, under Processes and Partial wakelocks, is there something suspicious or something running wild?

Sorry, but I'm running out of ideas.

I don't know how to assigned fixed IPs, but as I said, the drain also occurs when I'm at work and not connected to a wifi signal.
Would assigning a static IP really do anything?

The highest partial wakelock is Google Play Services, but it only runs for like 33s out of several hours of battery drain.
Android OS is the culprit, but there's no way to fix it. (I'm really pissed off at Google right now for making 4.4.2 and LG for approving it).

I'm currently trying Anirudhks's new ROM. I used his rom while on Jelly Bean and it always had excellent battery life. It's always based off the E988, so maybe these problems I'm having are isolated to the E980. I mean, several people even replied here using E988s and aren't having problems AFAIK.
EDIT: His rom has similar, but maybe slightly better, battery drain. The phone NEVER seems to go to sleep though.

EDIT2:
I just thought of this:
ATT sent me a new battery earlier this week and that's what I'm using now. I wonder if they sent me a bad battery?
I would swap batteries right now, but the old one (which worked great on JB BTW) is dead and I don't have an external charger. I'm going to charge this old one with my phone tonight and use it tomorrow.
I'm not saying this is my solution, but if you think about it, my new battery meets all the symptoms of a bad battery: quick battery drain, warm to the touch, etc.
It doesn't have bulging though.
EDIT: Oh and sometimes my battery magically charges itself after a while with the screen off. Not much, but maybe 1 or 2%.

ANOTHER UPDATE:
I'm also trying my phone with Location on at all times, but in Battery Saving Mode.
I read today that Kitkat is VERY location dependent and perhaps (according to the article writer) if you keep location off, then Kitkat will try to obtain your location from Wifi/Data instead, which will keep your phone awake I guess. I don't know. I just that that if you kept location off, then location wouldn't even try to be obtained, thus SAVING you battery.
Unless Kitkat has just changed that much.

Last edited:

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
Even with Location on, my phone started out looking like it was normal again, but sure enough, after about an hour, the phone began to heat up and battery started dropping like crazy. Android OS began to rise to 80% battery usage too (I was literally able to watch it go up % by % from 40% to 80%!!!!!!)
I immediately went to Settings>Apps>Running to see what was running (because Better Battery Stats wasn't really telling me). I noticed a ton of stuff that had been running for the entire time that my phone was on. I used an app to disable the services and slowly, Android OS began to lower its battery usage.

Again, I have no clue if this fixed the problem, but I'm still monitoring it. If this does fix it, I will definitely share the solution.
I'll keep you all posted on the situation.

UPDATE:
I've made a TON of progress today with debugging this issue!
I have the known "Google Play Services Bug." Basically, there's a bug in Google Play Services (I will from now on abbreviate this as GPS. Whenever I refer to actual GPS, I will use Location) 4.4.52. This bug basically causes GPS background tasks to never stop once they start automatically. My Android 4.4.2 came with GPS 4.4.52 installed and even after the Play Store updated itself automatically, it did nothing to GPS.
This bug has been hitting many phone running 4.4.2 Kitkat really hard, and they all had the same symptoms as my phone: Android OS consumes a high amount of battery; battery drains super fast (at a steady pace too); phone will deep sleep until GPS tasks start in the background, then won't sleep anymore; phone begins to warm up on its own; CPU usage remains high; and finally, GPS services appear to be running in Settings>Apps>Running for long periods of time. Not to mention that the problems occur whether Location, Wifi, or Auto-Sync are on or off.

I did some testing today and last night by using an app to disable system services. I disabled a lot of GPS services and the battery life improved quite a bit. Eventually I disabled everything that kept running in the background (minus things that messed up my wifi, etc), and battery life was much better today, but still not "normal" and the phone was still heating up at times. I ended up leaving work with 80% battery instead of 30% like I have been.
The reason why the battery life is still not great though is because now, for whatever reason, the phone NEVER enters deep sleep. It does downclock to 384MHz instead of running at 1.7GHz all the time. This is why the battery drain has been slower than the past few days, but also why it isn't good yet.

So now that I've confirmed that the issue is definitely GPS, I did some more searching and there is now a GPS version 5.0.77. Google is supposedly aware of the "Google Play Services Bug" and is trying to fix it, so since they recently released this newer version of GPS, I downloaded and installed it hoping that it contained a fix. I went ahead and reenabled all the GPS services that I disabled too. I'm going to run this version of GPS for a while to see what happens. I'll report back with some results by the end of the day.

LINKS:
Articles about the GPS v4.4.52 bug (NOTE: These are not OGP specific. This version of GPS is on many Kitkat devices):
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/555297/20140611/sony-xperia-z-series-android-4-2.htm
http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperi...rain-issue-Workaround-Fix/td-p/697685/page/11

This is where I downloaded the latest GPS build:
http://d-h.st/users/willverduzco
Thanks to the one known as @willverduzco for keeping this Dev-Host archive. The build I downloaded was the latest one (5.0.77-1244185-070). You need to have "Unknown Sources" enabled under Settings>Security to install this. Simply install the apk and it will replace the old GPS version.

LET'S HOPE THIS WORKS!!!!!!!!!

UPDATES (I love positive progress!):
OK, so I installed Google Play Services 5.0.77 and it didn't fix anything. However, Google released an even newer version later today (5.0.81) and it semi-fixed things. With this version, everything works perfectly fine while using mobile data, but as soon as you turn wifi on and it connects to a network, the phone will begin to heat up and the same problems occur again as I've always been having. If I turn wifi off (or leave my network range with wifi still on), then everything settles down again and begins to behave. So now, the issue is completely linked to only when wifi is on and connected. If mobile data is being used in any way, the phone works like normal.

To make things even more interesting, I completely uninstalled Google Play Services and downgraded to the version right before 4.4.52 (which is 4.4.48) and now my phone is behaving PERFECTLY!

So I seem to have temporarily fixed the issue permanently. Yes, I meant to say that. It's temporary because I'm not using the latest version of Play Services and may soon be forced to upgrade, yet the downgrade permanently fixes the problem until a fixed version is released and sent out by Google. I'm going to keep trying these leaks(? I guess that's what they are?) until the issue is fixed, but then revert back to 4.4.48 if it doesn't help.

BTW: My old OGP that got bricked worked perfectly fine on Kitkat. Then it bricked and I had to get a new one. During that time (about 24 hours), Play Services updated from 4.4.48 to 4.4.52. Then as we all know, my replacement was having all these problems. Interesting, huh?

Last edited:

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
You are one tenacious dude!!
Good to know all the stuff you posted, thanks for that
Just wondering, have you tried this?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.playfulgeeks.gservicefix

I'm tenacious because this problem has messed my phone up. I used to be able to get a full day's use of this phone, but now I'm lucky to get past lunch time or about 6-8 hours.
Not to mention that I can't keep my phone in my pocket because it gets hot and uncomfortable. Google has messed my phone up and I want it fixed NOW.

That GServiceFix is not a fix, but a workaround. It's basically a bunch of bull crap.
All that does is wipe the Google Play Services cache and makes you reboot your phone.

It doesn't fix the problem at all. The GPS (again, I'm abbreviating Google Play Services) bug basically makes the GPS services stick on and never stop running once they are started automatically by the system. The only way to get them to stop running is to either force stop them or to reboot. Clearing the cache and rebooting will only stop the services until they start running again an hour or so later.

If you have the bug, you need to just wait until a fixed GPS version is leaked out (which I'm doing now. AndroidPolice releases the apk's as they are leaked by Google, and I'm getting them from there.

Or you can also uninstall the current GPS version if rooted and reinstall version 4.4.48, which is the version before 4.4.52, which is broken. I'm currently doing this now and there's only one issue. If you reboot your phone, you have to repeat the reinstall procedure because the Play Store automatically updates you back to 4.4.52. I also noticed that I was auto-updated while sleeping last night.
I can't seem to figure out how to prevent the automatic updating, so every few hours, I am forced to check the version of PLay Services to ensure that I'm still on 4.4.48.
BTW: my phone is working BEAUTIFULLY on 4.4.48! No problems at all!

[mini rant] What pisses me off if that Google is aware of this bug, yet they refuse to revert GPS back to their last bugless version and push it back out to people's phone. Instead, they keep forcing your phone to update to the broken version over and over again! It's mostly likely because 4.4.52 includes a bunch of new features like support for "Android Wear." They are reluctant to downgrade because of this.
I don't know. This just pisses me off right now.

UPDATE:
Google just release 5.0.82. I'm testing it right now.
5.0.81 worked with wifi off, but not with wifi on (they were soooooo close!!!), so hopefully this fixes that.
EDIT: Nope, it's still broken. After about an hour, the phone stops sleeping completely. The major difference is that the phone won't get as warm as it used to.

Last edited:

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
[Never mind... As soon as I made this post, everything on my phone freaked out for some reason and problems started again.
Sick of this!]

Last edited:

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
FINAL UPDATE (so for all those who are getting annoyed at me, you can now relax)

I installed the E988's stock firmware on my phone and there's absolutely no problems so far. I installed it last night then charged my phone up while sleeping. Usually the issue starts as soon as I remove my phone from the charger, and within 40 minutes, I'm already down to about 96% battery. So far, I've been using my phone for 1hour and 15 mins and the battery is down to 95%, BUT I've also been making phone calls for a total of 55m and 45s. So I'm really impressed so far!

I called AT&T up to tell them about these firmware problems. I told them about my phone getting hot, never entering deep sleep, how I've tried disabling wifi and data, disabling auto-sync, etc etc. I also told them how this was a replacement phone and my old one had the same issues once I got Kitkat and how Jelly Bean on both phones were not having these problems.
Of course, they suggested a factory reset, but I told them that I had done that for times this week and it hasn't done anything to fix the problem (100% true).

AT&T filed a bug report/complaint and then forwarded me to LG. I called LG next and told them everything all over again. They too suggested a factory reset and I gave them the death stare over the phone (I'm sick of factory rest being the solution for everything). The girl looked into the problem and came back to tell me this very promising news:
There have been several bugs found and reported in the AT&T Optimus G Pro (E980) Kitkat 4.4.2 firmware. She wasn't sure exactly what has been reported, nor if my exact issue is one of them (I'm sure it is), but their software team is aware of issues and are already working on an update to correct them. She told me that she will be forwarding the phone conversation to this team too just in case, so they can hear my problems

So, the good news is that the issues will be addressed. Knowing how things work though, it may take a month or two before the problems are actually fixed since AT&T will have to get their hands on it and bloat it up. But there will be a fix. My guess is that it will be Android 4.4.4 since 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 are both riddled with bugs that have been plaguing Nexus users and other phones. 4.4.4 supposedly fixes all these issues.
I can be hopeful and say it'll be "Android L," but realistically, this would not be true if they are "already working to fix the problems."

In conclusion, if you are on the AT&T E980 firmware and are having problems with Android OS battery drain or any other issues, then I suggest that you install the E988's version of the firmware until LG releases a fix.

zamajalo

Jun 22, 2014
It's good to know that bug is reported already, but knowing how fast LG is doing... You'll use E988 firmware for a while :)

I'm glad you found a solution for your problem :)

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
It's good to know that bug is reported already, but knowing how fast LG is doing... You'll use E988 firmware for a while :)

I'm glad you found a solution for your problem :)

Yeah, I figured that LOL.
I'm hoping that since the bugs are kind of severe, they'll kick it out faster, but who knows.

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
FINAL UPDATE (so for all those who are getting annoyed at me, you can now relax)

I installed the E988's stock firmware on my phone and there's absolutely no problems so far. I installed it last night then charged my phone up while sleeping. Usually the issue starts as soon as I remove my phone from the charger, and within 40 minutes, I'm already down to about 96% battery. So far, I've been using my phone for 1hour and 15 mins and the battery is down to 95%, BUT I've also been making phone calls for a total of 55m and 45s. So I'm really impressed so far!

I called AT&T up to tell them about these firmware problems. I told them about my phone getting hot, never entering deep sleep, how I've tried disabling wifi and data, disabling auto-sync, etc etc. I also told them how this was a replacement phone and my old one had the same issues once I got Kitkat and how Jelly Bean on both phones were not having these problems.
Of course, they suggested a factory reset, but I told them that I had done that for times this week and it hasn't done anything to fix the problem (100% true).

AT&T filed a bug report/complaint and then forwarded me to LG. I called LG next and told them everything all over again. They too suggested a factory reset and I gave them the death stare over the phone (I'm sick of factory rest being the solution for everything). The girl looked into the problem and came back to tell me this very promising news:
There have been several bugs found and reported in the AT&T Optimus G Pro (E980) Kitkat 4.4.2 firmware. She wasn't sure exactly what has been reported, nor if my exact issue is one of them (I'm sure it is), but their software team is aware of issues and are already working on an update to correct them. She told me that she will be forwarding the phone conversation to this team too just in case, so they can hear my problems

So, the good news is that the issues will be addressed. Knowing how things work though, it may take a month or two before the problems are actually fixed since AT&T will have to get their hands on it and bloat it up. But there will be a fix. My guess is that it will be Android 4.4.4 since 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 are both riddled with bugs that have been plaguing Nexus users and other phones. 4.4.4 supposedly fixes all these issues.
I can be hopeful and say it'll be "Android L," but realistically, this would not be true if they are "already working to fix the problems."

In conclusion, if you are on the AT&T E980 firmware and are having problems with Android OS battery drain or any other issues, then I suggest that you install the E988's version of the firmware until LG releases a fix.

this is great and all but it doesn't solve the high android os drain on aosp based roms. this would apply to stock only. this device has horrid battery drain all around. forcing me to buy another device this weekend. im positive this is kernel or modem related. Id also be pretty shocked if lg updated this phone to 4.4.4 or android L. i doubt it as its well over a year old and the lg g pro 2 and g3 are out.

Last edited:

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
this is great and all but it doesn't solve the high android os drain on aosp based roms. this would apply to stock only. this device has horrid battery drain all around. forcing me to buy another device this weekend. im positive this is kernel or modem related. Id also be pretty shocked if lg updated this phone to 4.4.4 or android L. i doubt it as its well over a year old and the lg g pro 2 and g3 are out.

I had no response to your post until this morning when things went sour on my phone again.

On Saturday night, I reverted back to 4.1.2 (e98010p to be exact). I was sick of the E988 ROM being locked to the Chinese area. Specifically, the Quick Remote, which didn't have US cable company set top boxes. I tried replacing the Quick Remote files with the E980 ones, but every time I did so, the remote app would disappear from the app drawer, even though the permissions were set correctly. And this was after a reboot too.
I also had issues with Better Battery Stats getting uninstalled after a reboot when it was set to a system app (which is needed to get accurate data on Kitkat).

So anyway, like I said, I reverted back to Jelly Bean Saturday night. I've NEVER had any issue with Jelly Bean, and the phone was working perfectly all Saturday night and Sunday. That is, until Sunday night (last night) when I began to get the EXACT same wakelocks, heat, and battery drain as I did on Kitkat!! My phone began to suddenly heat up and I lost 50% battery within 2 hours!!!!

Google has pushed out the Google Play Services 5.0.84 update, and people who have been suffering from this kind of high battery drain, such as the Sony Xperia users, are still having issues. I am wondering again if this is the Play Services. I just uninstalled the update and completely disabled Play Services, then rebooted my phone. I'll be going to work soon, so I'll test if this works or not. It wouldn't be an ideal solution since Play Services pretty much runs all the Google stuff on your phone, but it will at least point the fingers at it if the issues disappear after I do this.

If this IS Play Services, I would want to know why the heck Google isn't fixing it! There's not even a way to contact them (AFAIK) to report these kinds of problems.
I have been using Android since 1.6 Donut, and I love the system and the customizability, but this crap is annoying me enough to consider ditching it and getting that new 5.5" iPhone 6 that's coming out soon. And trust me, when I say something like that- me being someone who has refused to own a single Apple product since the first day when the very first iPod came out- I'm saying a lot. This problem doesn't appear to be isolated to just our phone. Xperia and Nexus users are having the same issues. Sony has even pointed their fingers about the battery drain at Google Play Services.
If anyone wants to read more, search:
"Google Play Services 5.0 battery drain"
"Google Play Services 5.0 wakelocks"
"Google Play Services 5.0.84 battery drain"
"Google Play Services 5.0.84 wakelocks"
"Google Play Services 4.4.52 wakelocks"
"Google Play Services 4.4.52 battery drain"

I'll reply back after work today regarding the Play Services disabling.

UPDATE: OK, so It's been 10 hours now and my battery level is at 79%. My screen on time has been 45mins and Android OS is running at 7% (the lowest it's been!).
I noticed something weird today too. When Google Play Services is disabled and auto sync is on, certain apps, like Keep, will post and Error in the status bar when trying to sync. It says something like "And application requires and update. Requested by [APP]."
Well, this was getting annoying, so I turned off auto sync, but I kept getting this error from Maps. I keep location off at all times, so why would Maps be doing something in the background, but failing because Google pLay Services is "no updated," so to speak!? I also have Location Reporting off too.

I also did more research on some of the issues I was having. Android OS is running real high in the battery usage list. The wakelocks I've been having are all "Wlan_Wake" and "Wlan_rx_wake," which are wifi related. In Processes, I get a dhd_dpc process that runs for hours throughout the day (pretty much the same amount of time as Android OS in battery usage). According to further research, dhd_dpc is the wifi driver on the phone.
I decided to look at my router and noticed that its firmware was... 4 years outdated....
I'm updating it now, but I have no idea if this would do anything to help since I still have these issues when I turn off wifi. I also enabled AP Isolation on my router to see if it does anything.
Google Play Services is reenabled and updated back to 5.0.84. Let's see if any of my issues start again.

These problems still occur when I leave my house, but they always seem to start when I'm home. Every single morning, the wakelocks/process issues start as soon as I unplug my phone from the charger. But it's almost like I take the problems with me when I leave the house, and once this happens, they continue until I reboot the phone. Then they eventually start again after an hour or two. So what I'm trying to say is I have no idea if this will do anything....

UPDATE2: OK, it's only been a couple minutes now and my phone is already heating up and hasn't slept this entire time. It's DEFINITELY something Play Services related!

Last edited:

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
OK, after... ummmm... I don't know how many days since I last posted...
I tried version 10P and still had the issues. Tried removing Google Play Services and I thought it fixed the problems, but by the next morning, the phone was super hot and wouldn't sleep again.
It was pretty much random, but I was able to force it to occur when charging the phone at least 10%+ until I got the Battery Full message. After doing this, 90% of the time, the problem would start immediately. Otherwise, it's really random.

I also discovered that if I turned wifi off and then back on again, the problem would immediately go away and the phone would start sleeping... but at some random point, the phone would wake up again and slowly start getting hot and battery would drain rapidly. It was becoming a pain having to constantly check the phone for the "wakelocks" and then toggling wifi.

So, I reverted back to 10K and so far everything is working fine. I honestly don't know what version of the firmware I was using prior to 20g. I was using V4 of the G2 Added E988 ROM. I THINK it was the e98010K equivalent, but not certain. It could even have been the 10g equivalent though....

I am definitely agreeing now with the Kernel bug. It could also be a couple driver bugs too (in my case, one with the wifi driver, or dhd_dpc). I just had to be certain that it wasn't Play Services. Sony was blaming their Xperia problems on Play Services, but now that 5.0.84 has been released and Xperia phones are still plagued with the same problems. Users are enraged at Sony now. I REALLY hope that LG does indeed fix this soon and not be like Sony and just blame the problems on Google and hope they go away.

FINAL UPDATE (for real this time):
So, after returning to e98010k, my phone started showing me a new issue. It would go to sleep when the screen was off, but after about 30 minutes or so in this state, the phone would automatically reboot after turning the screen back on. It's like it would wake up, but then crash and restart.

At first, I thought it was a software issue, so I did a factory reset, but it still happened. Then I assumed it was a flashing error, so I reflashed 10K, but it STILL happened! I then got fed up with the phone and drove back to the AT&T warranty department located 45 minutes from my house. I showed them the issue (the phone had rebooted at least 2x on the way there, and did it in front of them too), and showed them that I had no apps on the phone, etc. They took the phone back and gave me a different OGP.

I didn't know it at the time when I got my phone replaced under warranty, but the phone they gave me was "factory reconditioned like new." The one I just got was too, but seems to be working. I am certain that all the problems I have been having were not due to a kernel bug (or anything software related), but a bad CPU. This would definitely explain the extreme heat and the CPU not cycling down to Deep Sleep and staying at 1.7GHz. This in turn would cause the horrible battery life.

The AT&T clerks insisted that I updated to KK even though I told them that LG had admitted that there were bugs. I eventually agreed. I figured, "Hey, if problems still happen, then I can show these guys and blame the problems on them." Well, I have been using the phone for over 24 hours with no problems on KK. Battery drain does seem slightly poorer than on JB, but compared to the previous OGP I had, it is phenomenal! I was draining battery at about 18% (appx) per hour with the screen off and not being used. Now the phone is draining about 1.5% per hour under the same conditions. I went to work today with the phone in the exact same way as I always do: location off, wifi on, but not connected, and the screen mostly turned off. I even listened to music using my bluetooth headphones (I couldn't before due to the phone heating up and poor battery).
I listened to music for 5 hours, then turned off the headphones and bluetooth on the phone. After that, another 5 hours had passed with only text messages during that time. So it has now been 10 hours since taking the phone off the charger this morning, and I am still at 80% battery! Before, my phone would not only be long dead by now, but it would've overheated several times too.

So yeah, now I'm happy and I am glad that I went to AT&T to exchange the phone. The only unfortunate thing is that all this time I thought it was a software issue, so I've been trying to fix something that I couldn't fix!
I am a little annoyed at the fact that I got a defective phone in the first place, but I guess these things happen sometimes.

EDIT: Oh! And the wlan wakelocks are minimal now and the dhd_dpc process is no longer running much either. Also, Android OS is running at a very low % at all times. :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please do not be sorry for this thread :good:

Someone else may have a similar issue so we will just leave it as it is

Glad your issue is fixed

In this case, I need to be more specific about my solution then.

The problem seems to be caused by the module, Xposed Torch. It's still usable, but you need to tap the overflow (3-dot) icon and disable ads (it's free to do this). The module requires internet access permissions, which I was not aware of, and it constantly connects to the internet to stream the ads. This in turn causes the wifi to constantly receive data (thus the wlan_wd_wake and wlan_wake). When wifi is on, but not connected to a network, I think it forces wifi to constantly scan in order to find a connection so that it can get that ad data. I'm not sure why it doesn't just use mobile data though... unless it does and it's just more power efficient.

So far, I have disabled the ads via module settings and the phone is now sleeping like it should.
    So if anyone else is having wlan_wake wakelocks of any kind, especially followed by wlan_wd_wake or wlan_rx_wake, then this means that something on your phone is constantly accessing the internet via wifi. FIrst turn off auto-sync, and if this doesn't help, then you need to uninstall apps until the problem ceases.

My phone is currently icy cold in my hand and I've never been so happy to feel it like this!
    Before I begin, let me state that I have already factory reset countless times and reflashed my firmware at least 3 times in the past week. Neither of these have helped me at all, so PLEASE do not suggest this. I've been trying to solve this problem for a week or two and everyone has suggested this to me and of course I've already done it, so it hasn't helped me at all.

PHONE: E980
    FIRMWARE: Stock 4.4.2 E98020g
    BASEBAND: APQ8064/MDM9x15M

SYMPTOMS:
    -Battery draining ridiculously fast (appx 10%/hr, but before my last reflash, it was draining 50%/2hrs!)
    -Phone only lasts about 5hours.
    -Android OS is consuming about 80-90% of battery, followed by Screen at around 10%
    -Phone is constantly warm
    -Phone rarely enters Deep Sleep (it stays awake 95% of the time).

TESTS DONE:
    -As I said, I factory reset numerous times with the same exact problem
    -I reflashed my firmware 3x, with same problems
    -I usually keep auto-sync on, but the issue occurs whether it is on or not.
    -There is supposably a Kitkat 4.4.2 (in general) issue where the camera will consume a ton of CPU resources and get stuck that way. I haven't used my camera much, but do use Smart Stay, so I disabled this. No positive result.
    -Disabled the Google Now "OK Google" hotword detection. This helped reduce the drain, but didn't solve it. Drain went from like 15%/hr to 10%/hr.
    -Took battery out of phone for 10 minutes and placed back in. Seemed to help at first, but after about an hour or so, it returned.
    -"Recalibrated" the battery numerous times. This was done by draining the battery until the phone shut itself off. Then I charged the phone to 100% while the phone was still off. Once the phone read as having 100% charge, I let it charge for another 1 hour. Then I unplugged the phone and booted it up. Again, this appeared to help at first, but after a while, the phone began to drain rapidly again.

NARROWING THE ROOT PROBLEM:
    -Both WakeLock Detector and BetterBatteryStats show "wlan_wake" and "wlan_wd_wake" as being the largest wakelocks.
    -As previously mentioned, "Android OS" is consuming a huge amount of battery
    -Problem only seems to happen when wifi is on, whether it is connected to an SSID or not.

OTHER:
    I have narrowed the issue down to wifi but I can't seem to figure it out any more than this.
    Both of the "wlan_" wakelocks are caused by wifi being on and I need wifi on whenever possible because I can't afford a huge data plan. My current one is 2GB/mo and it is shared between 3 people.

I noticed today that my phone drained 10% within 1 hour after taking the phone off the charger, and I was connected to my home wifi. I then went to work, but still had wifi turned on on my phone. At work, I was only connected to mobile data (but the phone was just sitting in my pocket). The battery drained another 15% within an 1hr 30min, and the phone was warm in my pocket (very uncomfortable!). I then turned wifi off completely, and the battery drain completely disappeared!!! The battery life was amazing in fact!

PICTURES:
    I've provided some screenshots with notes. Please take a look at them.
    I'm going to manually make the problem happen again and will upload new pictures afterwards. They will be of WLD and BBS. Any current info I have is tainted since I turned wifi off and the problem temporarily turned off too. I want to get only screenshots of what is going on when the problem is happening.

EDIT: BTW, the problem occurs whether my mods are installed or not (the mods used to remove the icons in statusbar, AdAway, etc)..
    The issue seems to be pureply related to wifi and nothing else.

IDEAS:
    Could adding a wifi supplement scan interval to the build.prop solve this problem?
    Is Wifi bugged in this firmware? (This never happened on Jelly Bean!!!!)
    Is maybe the "Battery Saving for Wifi" feature bugged?
    Would maybe flashing the Jelly bean modem (e98010p) solve this issue (since it didn't happen on Jelly Bean)? If so, does anyone have a flashable version of this? <- I just did some research and it seems that the baseband (AKA modem) is the same in Kitkat as it was in Jelly Bean. Weird....
    These pictures were taken shortly after making my first post. I already had wifi turned off, so I turned it back on and after a few minutes, the battery began to plummet. I went from roughly 77% to 66% in just an hour!!!!

Just to make sure that it is clear, I have both BBS and WLD set to start recording data after the phone has been unplugged from the charger. So to restart the data collection, I simply plugged the phone into my charger for a few seconds and then removed it. THEN I turned wifi on. The data seen in the pictures should only have occurred between the time when I unplugged the phone and the time I took the pictures.

EDIT: Also just to make sure it's clear: All the data shown in the System picture is actually since I unplugged the phone this morning. I only posted these pictures to show any changes from the similar ones posted earlier.

PLEASE! Can anyone help me solve this!?
    Or is this a major Kitkat bug!? (or ATT bug, or modem bug, etc etc).
    After a full week of this problem, I think I just made another breakthrough. Unfortunately, I think it IS one of my Xposed modules, which is weird because I didn't think any of them would have a need to constantly connect to the internet.
    All I know is that I just completely uninstalled the Xposed Framework and the phone started to sleep like a baby... with wifi on!

Now I just need to pinpoint the module, which I can do myself.

MODS CAN CLOSE THIS THREAD.
    Sorry I created it and (mostly) solved my own problem. This happens to me a lot. I have a problem, can't figure it out, ask for help, then solve it myself. :/
    MODS CAN CLOSE THIS THREAD.
    Sorry I created it and (mostly) solved my own problem. This happens to me a lot. I have a problem, can't figure it out, ask for help, then solve it myself. :/
    Please do not be sorry for this thread :good:

Someone else may have a similar issue so we will just leave it as it is

Glad your issue is fixed