HTC Desire volume buton fix (worked for me)
After enjoying my bravo for about 2 years. I had started facing the issue of volume down button not responsive. I had to press the volume button real hard to make it work. I was sure it is the hardware issue. I opened the HTC desire and found out that, the volume button assembly is part of the flex cable and can't be replaced in it's own.
Below is the step by step how to fix it. It worked flawlessly for me but do it at your own risk. I am not responsible for any type of consequences.
1. Remove the 4 corner screws
2. Remove the middle 2 screws.
3. take out the plate just above the mini USB socket, slowly pull it out from the top, slightly pushing it downwards.
4. take out the battery, sim card, memory card
5. remove the inner cover by pulling it out and slightly adjusting the side locks. (you can see the youtube videos on how to dismantle)
6. there is a metal piece just behind the volume buttons, pull it out slowly with the tweezers. hold it only on the metal portion, not the rubbuer.
7. once it comes out, you find two holes in the rubber on the button side. with tweezer tip, pour some petrol in the holes. I did this 3 to 4 times. now press the button around 10 to 15 times to make sure the petrol reaches below the button.
If you are lucky, you are done now.
My buttons are as good as new.
Hope it helps someone. Hit the thanks button if it helped you.
Nokia 3310, Sony Ericsson C550,K750,W810,Nokia 5800
Default table with ext3, 8gb card
LG Nexus 4 (on the way)