Recent iPhone users who migrated to the GS3 - Favorite Features?

Search This thread

mywifeshero

Feb 1, 2013
Sorry, still very new... What exactly do I need to check out to keep TWRP up to date?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

iloveandroid16

Jul 25, 2011
Fort Pierce, Florida
I left the SGS 3 for the iPhone 5 & I love it. I tryed to love the sg3 but the cheap plastic build & the pentile screen was such a turn off. Android just still felt like beta & I wanted a mature OS. I love iMessage & other features Apple offer. I have my galaxy tab 10.1 whenever I get android sick.

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

Must I add how dark the SGS3 screen is... I had the sg2 & noticed they made the screen darker when I booted up the sgs3.

ikjadoon

Jul 4, 2012
Lenovo P11
Sorry, still very new... What exactly do I need to check out to keep TWRP up to date?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Oh, sorry! See my signature? It's attached to the end of all my posts (except on Tapatalk or the XDA app, only on desktop site). Click the first link after guides.

TWRP is updated every once in a while with bug fixes and new features. :)

Errrr, this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2123208

[HOW TO] Get a text when TWRP is updated for your phone!

Last edited:
Reactions: mywifeshero

remix7196

Sep 22, 2011
I like the fact that Google doesn't insist on only allowing proprietary software like Apple. I also love the customization options and ROMs.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

duke4c

Dec 14, 2012
To me it's all about concept of "if you don't like something... change it!"...

A total freedom to do whatever I want with my device with no limitation.

The only caver is rather steep learning curve. I do this for over a year and there are still stuff that I don't fully understand: like Ktonez kernel settings... or theme-ing issues on TW vs AOSP...

But learning part was and still is a tons of fun.

And especially with S3 there are so many options and so many ROMS / themes / modifications out there that even after 6 months of owning a device I tried less than half of what's available out there...

tobstradamus

Jan 10, 2013
Fort Worth
The best part for me is Google Play for my music. I have way too much music to fit on a phone (even my 64gb iPod touch ran out of space), so being able to stream it all conveniently is awesome.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

I left the SGS 3 for the iPhone 5 & I love it. I tryed to love the sg3 but the cheap plastic build & the pentile screen was such a turn off. Android just still felt like beta & I wanted a mature OS. I love iMessage & other features Apple offer. I have my galaxy tab 10.1 whenever I get android sick.

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

Must I add how dark the SGS3 screen is... I had the sg2 & noticed they made the screen darker when I booted up the sgs3.

The plastic never was an issue to me because I have a case on my phone whether it was my old iPhone or my gs3. They made the screen darker to prevent battery drain, so I can see that being am issue for some.

iloveandroid16

Jul 25, 2011
Fort Pierce, Florida
The best part for me is Google Play for my music. I have way too much music to fit on a phone (even my 64gb iPod touch ran out of space), so being able to stream it all conveniently is awesome.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

The plastic never was an issue to me because I have a case on my phone whether it was my old iPhone or my gs3. They made the screen darker to prevent battery drain, so I can see that being am issue for some.

One question.. Can you say you absolutely love your phone? I couldn't when I had the SGS3. I can say that about my iPhone 5 though.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

tobstradamus

Jan 10, 2013
Fort Worth
One question.. Can you say you absolutely love your phone? I couldn't when I had the SGS3. I can say that about my iPhone 5 though.

I can. Coming from the iPhone 4 and getting the gs3 and case for free probably also helped, but I love it. Also probably helps I have an iPad and work at my schools technology help desk so I'm also on peoples iPhone 5's anyways.

jayRokk

Jan 12, 2012
Rack City

I do.. Way more than I did apple..
I find it weird your user name is "I love android" but you're in here down talking the gs3, and using an iPhone to access tapatalk... There is an iPhone website.. Use that to bash android ... Don't do it here.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

iloveandroid16

Jul 25, 2011
Fort Pierce, Florida
I can. Coming from the iPhone 4 and getting the gs3 and case for free probably also helped, but I love it. Also probably helps I have an iPad and work at my schools technology help desk so I'm also on peoples iPhone 5's anyways.

Okay, I guess it really does come to preference. When I has the sgs3 the screen is what bugged me out the most. I loved the size but the pentile matrix was a turn off. A lot of my family members has iPhones & every time I compared our screen the sgs3 whites looked yellow/greenish or just blue looking. If you do a screen test with a app you will notice the greens are the most clearest for whatever reason. Reds, blue's & every other color really shows the pentile tech. The sgs4 should be great looking though if the rumors are correct.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

I do.. Way more than I did apple..
I find it weird your user name is "I love android" but you're in here down talking the gs3, and using an iPhone to access tapatalk... There is an iPhone website.. Use that to bash android ... Don't do it here.

I love android not the sgs3. I have many android devices so you're dismissed.

Capa1970

Oct 28, 2012
I came from an iPhone 4, my first smartphone, and now have had a Galaxy S3 since the first week of July. I was completely happy with the iPhone except for the screen size. Honestly, both phones have their pro and cons and it is quite absurd to bash either since there is no perfect phone.

My wife has an iPhone 5 and I upgraded my phone about 4 months before she did and was hoping that she also would switch from the iPhone 4 to the S3. I let her fool with my phone multiple times during those 4 months but she definitely preferred Apple's OS. I've messed with her phone as well and do not regret my decision because my #1 criterion is screen size. However, my battery life isn't as good as hers, and both GSMarena and Anandtech point this out. Judging by the very many threads on this subject, this is no secret and, unfortunately, 3 hours of screen time is very poor. Also, my phone gets extremely hot on LTE or after playing Dead Trigger for 5 minutes. Again, the many threads on the heat issue bear this out.

I admit that I am also worried about the hardware failures that have been reported on the Galaxy S3. Personally, since Apple will probably never release a phone with at least a 4.7 in screen, I will stick with Android and I am looking very forward to what the Google Motorola X phone will provide. The Galaxy Note 3 might interest me as well, as long as it doesn't increase its 5.5 in. screen.

As a side note, I have been very disappointed with the Jellybean update. My phone has slowed down and there is more lag than with ICS :(

theraffman

Jul 22, 2011
I came from an iPhone 4, my first smartphone, and now have had a Galaxy S3 since the first week of July. I was completely happy with the iPhone except for the screen size. Honestly, both phones have their pro and cons and it is quite absurd to bash either since there is no perfect phone.

My wife has an iPhone 5 and I upgraded my phone about 4 months before she did and was hoping that she also would switch from the iPhone 4 to the S3. I let her fool with my phone multiple times during those 4 months but she definitely preferred Apple's OS. I've messed with her phone as well and do not regret my decision because my #1 criterion is screen size. However, my battery life isn't as good as hers, and both GSMarena and Anandtech point this out. Judging by the very many threads on this subject, this is no secret and, unfortunately, 3 hours of screen time is very poor. Also, my phone gets extremely hot on LTE or after playing Dead Trigger for 5 minutes. Again, the many threads on the heat issue bear this out.

I admit that I am also worried about the hardware failures that have been reported on the Galaxy S3. Personally, since Apple will probably never release a phone with at least a 4.7 in screen, I will stick with Android and I am looking very forward to what the Google Motorola X phone will provide. The Galaxy Note 3 might interest me as well, as long as it doesn't increase its 5.5 in. screen.

As a side note, I have been very disappointed with the Jellybean update. My phone has slowed down and there is more lag than with ICS :(

Overheating issues and slowing down after jb seem like a small red flag. I know quite a few people with sgs3s and have two in my household and none have these issues. I don't frequent these forums as often as I use to, but it seems like you may have a hardware issue. The only time my phones get hot are when I'm playing a game while charging.... other than that, it stays pretty darn cool, especially compared to every iPhone I've ever had that would get so warm that it would be uncomfortable against my ear after 15-20 minus of talking. Last iPhone I had was the 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

mumbo jumbo

Sep 24, 2012
I love the pop up sms feature. On my iPhone I would either have to come out of my app or ignore the sms. The only way I was able to get it was to jailbreak my phone and use biteSMS.

Also the recent update to the on screen video (resizeable) is cool too.

My friend went from the iPhone 5 to the sg3 when I told him about it. He's thinking of going back but I love the out of the box customization, look and feel of y sg3...I'm hooked :D

Capa1970

Oct 28, 2012
Overheating issues and slowing down after jb seem like a small red flag. I know quite a few people with sgs3s and have two in my household and none have these issues. I don't frequent these forums as often as I use to, but it seems like you may have a hardware issue. The only time my phones get hot are when I'm playing a game while charging.... other than that, it stays pretty darn cool, especially compared to every iPhone I've ever had that would get so warm that it would be uncomfortable against my ear after 15-20 minus of talking. Last iPhone I had was the 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

There are a lot of people here who have reported and a lot of threads here (most combined) about the Galaxy S3 getting extremely hot. If you google it you will see that it is a very common problem, probably the #1 or #2 most common compliant about the Galaxy 3. Mind you, I am not talking about the phone getting warm, which is common with all smartphones with good hardware. I'm talking about the phone getting extremely hot on LTE or after gaming for about five minutes. I had an iPhone 4 and it never reached such temperatures while gaming for +30 minutes, not even close. I, personally, would never go back to the iPhone 4 but I'm going to call it as it is. My wife also had a 4 and now has an iPhone 5 and was shocked when I showed her how hot the bottom part of my screen gets.

Admittedly, the slowdown and lag with Jellybean isn't as a common issue, but if you have it as I do it is very annoying. I will probably root after the warranty expires and possibly and hopefully that will fix the heat and slight lag issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys.

So it seems like a number of people here have recently migrated over from iPhone, just curious what are your all favorite features/apps since you switched over.

I used an iPhone 3 from 2008-2010 and then an iPhone 4 from 2008-Sept 2012. I was jailbroken on those devices but still pretty blown away by many Android functions. I loved loved loved my iPhone when I first got one, back in the day they were so damned ahead of the curve, but over time HTC/Samsung has caught up and they are no longer making truly impressive devices worthy of me overpaying for them, and to have the Nanny state of Apple telling me what apps I am capable of using. Those are the main reasons I made the switch. Although I still kind of miss the smaller size of my iPhone.

ANYWAYYYYS....things I love since I made the switch:

1. TORRENTS! You could never ever get a Torrent application from the Apple App Store. I use "adownloaded" via the Google Play Store. I love mainly the ability to switch between various torrent trackers and even grab torrents from some of the private torrent sites I use (ones for music / video). If I feel like listening to some old album I don't have on my PC at home, simple just grab the torrent. Forgot to DL the new Boardwalk Empire, just grab it off a tracker via Adownloader.

2. Power management options. Having an app to turn off power hog features (wifi, mobile data, gps, etc) when the screen is turned off and then booting them all back up quickly when I turn the screen back on. I use "Go Power Master" for this and love it. You don't need to be rooted to do it either.

3. Themes / visual customization. Animated backgrounds, etc. Some of those things were available to jailbroken (and JB saavy) iPhone users but it was extreeemly buggy and problematic when I tried to mess with visual display customization with my jailbroken iPhones. Here its entirely simple to do for non-root and root users.

4. Battery replacement / external memory. Bought 2 extra batteries and an external battery charger off ebay for only $20 all included. Yes maybe that's a testament to the...not so amazing battery life of the GS3, but I still love the option of having extra 100% charged batteries at home and in the office in case I forget to charge my GS3. Down to 10% and no time to charge? Pull off the ottebox and throw another battery in. Also love the external memory, bought a 32GB micro SD as soon as I got my GS3. Blows my mind that Apple charges $100 extra to go from 16gb to 32gb and to 64gb (when it's been proven online it only costs them $10 to raise the memory....a 90% margin customers have to pay....retarded. A lot of my iPhone devotee friends would just tell me to get the 16gb and keep all my extra music/movies "in the cloud". Fuuuuuuck that. Why blow my wireless data plan constantly DLing albums from my Cloud account rather than just having a phone with a decent amount of memory.

5. Video playback. GS3 has flawlessly played everything I've thrown at it, without any conversion. AVI's / XVID / X264 / MKV / VOB, MP4, alll of it. It's a far far cry from trying to get any bloody files to play on the iPhone, iTunes was so prickly with formats that even many .MP4's I downloaded wouldnt sync properly with iPhone. It was a major pain in the ass to throw videos on the iPhone because so many would require conversion. Even the third party apps in the app store that could play SOME AVI/XVID would get buggy and be unable to play back 50% of anything I threw at it.
    you guys got most the pros and cons pretty much right.

I think having had an iPhone for many years and now having a top-quality Android device, you really get to see that there are many pretty advantages to each device. I dont think the Apple fanboys or the "Fandroids" have a perfect case to make for each device. With the GS3 I sacrifice a few things that I loved about iPhone but the things and possibilities I get in return with Android / GS3 kind of blow me away.

but I'm learning there are some shortcuts to some of the "too many clicks" issues:

if you go into Contact and want to call someone quickly, the common gripe is you select a name and instead of it launching a call to that name, you go into the contact details. there are Swipe Left and Swipe Right features in Contacts. Look up a contact and Swipe Right and it should launch straight into a call, Swipe Left and it will start a text to that name.
    Admittedly, the slowdown and lag with Jellybean isn't as a common issue, but if you have it as I do it is very annoying. I will probably root after the warranty expires and possibly and hopefully that will fix the heat and slight lag issue.

Root makes everything better. ;)

Seriously. :D
    I had an iPhone since 2007. In the beginning, and up until recently they were amazing. I feel like every iteration since the iPhone 4 has gotten less and less innovative. The S3 has some amazing features and the fact that you can tweak it in every direction is pretty great. Android was new and weird at first coming from iOS but now that I'm more comfortable, its amazing.
    My favorite features of the S3 over iPhone 5:

Larger Screen:

This is a nice feature compared to the tiny iPhone 5 screen. This was one of the main reasons why I made the switch.

Colored LED Notifications:

This is a nice feature which doesn't exist on the iPhone 5. With the ability to customize the colors for of the different app notifications is a treat.

Removable Back Cover:

How nice it is to be able to swap/replace the battery with ease compared to the iPhone 5. Not to mention the difference in price replacing the back cover on each device.

Micro-USB vs. Apple proprietary cable:

Nuff said.

I could go on and on and on but since this is my first post on this forum, I will keep it short and sweet. ;)

-slimshotty