My “Root for Verizon Galaxy S4 VRUAME7 Build Only” experience
Follow original thread here:
First I’d like to thank everyone for all their work so far with the Verizon S4 rooting and modding. I wouldn’t be writing this if I didn’t have so much info online already. I’m standing on the shoulders of giants. Hehehe.
Here is what I ended up doing:
1) To start, download all these (ODIN, Recovery.pit File, VZWS4 root .zip, SafeStrap.apk, ME7 modules):
2) And Stock S4 recovery .tar.MD5 here (if you need to reflash back to stock, or to unbrick)
3) Install Android Terminal Emulator on your phone:
4) Format your SD card to exFAT using your computer.
5) Extract the RootForVZWS4.zip to your SDcard (DO NOT put it in any other folders, it must be extracted on the SD top level). Then put the SDcard back into the phone.
6) Enable Developer Mode on your phone.
7) Check USB debugging in Developer Options.
8) Allow Unknown Sources under Security.
9) Open terminal emulator and type exactly what is shown:
cd /mnt/extSdCard <-Note: there is a space after cd
If you’re like me, even though you may see “Permission Denied” in a few lines, your phone is rooted. This is OK. You're rooted when you see the " $ " turn into a " # "
10) Install SafeStrap.apk from your SDcard to get the bootloader.
11) Run SafeStrap from your Apps Drawer, then choose Install Recovery (this will allow you to boot up and enter SafeStrap where you can back up your stock ROM, and install custom ROMs from your SDcard).
12) Restart and you should see a new Boot Screen – hit menu to enter Recovery
13) Backup your phone! Save to SD card!
14) Add custom ROMs to your SDcard and flash them with SafeStrap
15) Flash ME7 modules.zip
16) Wipe cache and dalvik
17) Fix permissions
18) Reboot and enjoy
*****If you brick your phone, or want to go back to stock*****
1) Enter/boot to ODIN mode (phone NOT connected to computer).
2) Plug your phone into your computer.
3) Open ODINv3.07.
4) Make sure ODIN finds your phone (Top left box will be blue with your phone ID).
5) Click the big PIT button, and find the “SCH-I545.pit” file you downloaded earlier to your computer.
6) Click the big PDA button, and find the .tar.md5 file you downloaded earlier to your computer.
7) When ODIN has finished checking the files, hit START. Wait a long time, then when your phone reboots, and the program says PASS in green, you’re back to stock.
Please let me know if any links don’t work. Hopefully you all can follow this long post.