Cool Atrix Hacks!

Search This thread

mistadman

Nov 30, 2006
*** WARNING!! THESE SETTING ARE PRIMARILY FOR MOD DEVELOPERS OR FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO CONSTANTLY RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS. WHILE THESE SETTING CAN BE APPLIED WITHOUT FACTORY RESETTING, IT IS A LITTLE MORE DIFFICULT -- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! ****

**UPDATE** Great supplementary guide by Amil: http://www.amilkhanzada.com/2012/03/how-to-enable-select-network-on.html?m=1

Hello All! I'll get straight to the point.

I was playing around with some files, and noticed a bunch of configuration files in the '/system/etc/motorola/' directory. This directory is filled with custom setting that are applied after a factory reset. Here are some examples that I have played with:

File: /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/settings.mkitso:
Setting: - Enable the 'Unknown sources' check box (Allows you to install non-market apps)
Code:
 force_only_market_apps=0

File: /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.setup/defaults.xml
Setting: - Allow you the option of bypassing the Motoblur setup altogether
Code:
 <boolean name='ShowSkipSetupMenu' value='true'/>

File: /system/etc/motorola/com.android.phone/defaults.xml
Setting: - Unlocks the mobile networks, 'Select network' and 'Operator selection
Code:
<boolean name='network_select_menu' value='true'/>

I have completed a test and can confirm that "Use Wireless Network" check box is "agps and wifi positioning" controlled with one check box. I would argue that the suggested modification to display the AGPS checkbox is legacy feature and unneccasary. Exposing both check boxes in the GUI will most likely get the files out of sync that these check boxes write to. You can confirm that the "Use Wireless Network" check box enables agps by using maps over cellular data (3G required) with GPS and wifi turned off. You'll notice that maps will find your location. This is agps. While we are on the subject, the menu option with the "2G check box", has been replaced with the 'Select network' menu with 2G/3G/Automatic.

I kind of wish that the original posts would be updated as people are being mislead in this thread. The AGPS configuration does not need to be modified. In this situation, the stock settings are already optimized for agps, wifi and gps as well as the optimal server.

*** CONFIRMED NO IMPROVEMENT ***

File: /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/settings.mkitso:
Setting: - Enables the Assisted GPS option in the "locations and security" menu page
Code:
 agps_feature_enabled=1

attachment.php

Here are some other interesting setting that I haven't had a chance to play with yet:

File: /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/settings.mkitso
Setting: - Unknown
Code:
dun_enable=1
Bluetooth_Dun_Enabled=true

Not sure what these do, but if you find out, please post it in this thread.

Thanks and I hope you all find these settings useful. Also, from my limited testing, the settings are only applied after a factor reset. This helpful for mod developers and those of use who that factory reset our devices often--the setting are automatically applied after a hard reset.

[size=+2]*** ADDITIONAL INFO ON HOW TO APPLY THESE MODIFICATION WITHOUT FACTORY RESETTING****[/size]

Great explanation provided by forum member jjwatmyself:

This is the Atrix, proof of concept for Enable mobile networks settings: 'Select network' and 'Operator selection' that are greyed out in 4.1.83.

FALSE

INCOMPLETE METHOD

Here is the complete method. I decided to post as I had some issues getting the described methods to work also.

Thanks to to mistadman and crnkoj and liranm2. My post is simply to join all of the items into a single method and provide information on what the resulting un-greyed settings do.

End result is that this method works flawlessly providing that all of the following steps are completed.

1) Edit the following files:

/system/etc/motorola/com.android.phone/defaults.xml
/data/data/com.android.phone/shared_prefs/settings.xml
/data/data/com.android.phone/shared_prefs/com.android.phone_preferences.xml
/data/data/com.android.phone/shared_prefs/_has_set_default_values.xml

Setting:

2) When I initially tested, I found that the files would revert to their original state after rebooting, but on http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1108181 member liranm2 states that YOU MUST DELETE THE BACKUP XML FILES THAT ROOT EXPLORER CREATES.

3) Reboot phone.

In summary, the above changes provide un-greyed options under Settings, Wireless & networks, Mobile networks as follows:

1) Select network
2) Operator selection

'Select network' provides the following options:

• 2G only = GSM only = lowest battery consumption, with slowest data speeds
  • 3G only = WCDMA only = highest battery consumption, with fastest data speeds
  • Automatic = GMS auto (PRL) = medium battery consumption, with fastest data speeds when 3G towers are 'preferred' over 2G towers. This is based on what the towers advertise as being available. i.e. if a 2G tower has a stronger signal than another 2G/3G capable tower, then use 2G.
Automatic uses less juice becasue:

1. 2G uses less juice :)
  2. a stronger signal will yield lower transmit power consumption by the phone, i.e. don't force 3G if there is a stronger signal available at 2G.

'Operator selection':

• Search networks = see all of the providers that your radio is compatible with, i.e. providers transmiting on frequencies your device supports.
  • Select automatically = will prompt every time your phone moves between different services that your provider offers that are not considered roaming.

On AT&T's network, using Any Cut to run Activity, GSM/UMTS Options provides a slight variation of the above menu. This can be used without modifying files. Instead we get a 'Use only 2G networks' check box which causes the phone to switch between GSM Only and GSM auto (PRL).

All of the methods described have the same result as dialing *#*#4636#*#*, then Phone Information, Set preferred network type. The acronyms shown on this menu most likely do not mean what you think they mean, hence the descriptions included in this post. Alternate method is to use Any Cut to run Activity and select Phone Information (thanks Vangelis13).

I'll post a link to this on the GingBlur thread to see if Ken will include these changes in his next version. My opinion is that having these settings would take the phone closer to a native build.

BTW Nice comments from crnkoj. Although I did not need to modify any settings.db files in any way, those files have some pretty interesting fields in them, just nothing that appears to be network_select_menu related.

Files listed below are for references purposes only. DO NOT MODIFY!!!

/data/data/com.andoird.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
/data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

Attachments

• aGPS.png
    aGPS.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 31,802
Last edited:

TheToiletSpaula

Mar 12, 2011
So the unlock mobile networks hack will basically unlock the phone to other networks? (Asking because I need to unlock my at&t phone to rogers)

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

chria01

Sep 7, 2007
So the unlock mobile networks hack will basically unlock the phone to other networks? (Asking because I need to unlock my at&t phone to rogers)

No this is not a sim unlock, it is supposed to allow you to select EDGE instead of HSPA+ however I was not able to get this to work after rebooting.

mistadman

Nov 30, 2006
Unfortunately, you will have to perform a factory reset in order for the changes to apply. As I said before, this only works after a factory reset.

No this is not a sim unlock, it is supposed to allow you to select EDGE instead of HSPA+ however I was not able to get this to work after rebooting.

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
basically there are even more hacks possible in the subdirectories of the /system/etc/motorola/ directory. Thers one for sms delivery notification aswell, and the max allowed number of sent MMS/SMS at once (to different recipients), thers more things in there that i dont even know what the parameters mean. As for some of the hacks the values are being duplicated in /data/data/ and than com.each.particular.setting at first boot (ie when the phone is new, factory restored or sbf flashed) and is than maintained there, so even if you would change some of the settings in /system/etc/motorola/ it might not have an effect until you either factory restore (which is mega unconvenient) or go to the respective directory in /data/data/ and edit (mostly the files are saved in settings.db in those directories) the values in the settings.db there. by cleverly modifying those in the /data/data/bla bla and putting in read only tags into the settings.db you can in fact modify some things that are at times rather bothersome.

Reactions: G-Man.

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
Unfortunately, you will have to perform a factory reset in order for the changes to apply. As I said before, this only works after a factory reset.

you dont have to factory restore it as a matter of fact. just go to:
/data/data/com.android.phone/shared_prefs edit this file: _has_set_default_values.xml which is a duplicate of the one from the /system (the defaults.xml) and write true in it, reboot and voila you have 2g/3g selector enabled.

Reactions: G-Man. and Immix

mistadman

Nov 30, 2006
/data/data/com.android.phone/shared_prefs edit this file: _has_set_default_values.xml which is a duplicate of the one from the /system (the defaults.xml) and write true in it, reboot and voila you have 2g/3g selector enabled.
Crnkoj, you are absolutely correct! However, making changes there will be lost after a factory reset. The beauty of modifying the configurations via the '/system/etc/motorola' directory is that the changes will become permanent.

So modifying both locations would probably be best for those who don't factory reset as much as I do :) Thanks for pointing this out crnkoj. I should have mentioned this in my original post.

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
Crnkoj, you are absolutely correct! However, making changes there will be lost after a factory reset. The beauty of modifying the configurations via the '/system/etc/motorola' directory is that the changes will become permanent.

So modifying both locations would probably be best for those who don't factory reset as much as I do :) Thanks for pointing this out crnkoj. I should have mentioned this in my original post.

yes i meant you have to change both :) and many are using gingerblur so a factory reset rather ****s up the phone, so thats a better solution than factory reset :)

Reactions: G-Man.

doesn't work for me even though I changed at both places and did a reboot ..

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
I am not clear on this:
Change
/system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.setup/defaults.xml
and

to be the same?

this line must be like that in both:
<boolean name='ShowSkipSetupMenu' value='true'/> value true cuz defualt is value false

milesjohnson

Feb 27, 2011
hmm does any one know how to get motoblur back. I didnt turn it off using one of those methods im not even sure how my account got deleted but does anyone know if theres a way to get motoblur account back. none of my facebook contacts are syncing

Paschalis

Mar 25, 2009
Tried too changing in both files, and 2g/3g menu didn't appear!!
I never use mob net to access the web..

For motoblur account, if you intalled gingerblur, try restoring bloatware

natboy

Mar 7, 2011
Anchorage, AK
hmm does any one know how to get motoblur back. I didnt turn it off using one of those methods im not even sure how my account got deleted but does anyone know if theres a way to get motoblur account back. none of my facebook contacts are syncing

I've gotten it back before when I disabled it doing the keypress during first boot. It prompted me again trying to do a software update, which I ended up doing as I was to lazy to use rsd :)

milesjohnson

Feb 27, 2011
I've gotten it back before when I disabled it doing the keypress during first boot. It prompted me again trying to do a software update, which I ended up doing as I was to lazy to use rsd :)

Yeah I figure ill just sbf because Ihavebt found an easier way out

Sent from my Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk

Bakano

Nov 25, 2009
Texas
awesome POST. thanks brother =)

BUT... it looks like my speeds are super similar with 2G enabled vs not... ? =/

Last edited:

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
I do believe on att network this option even if enabled, doesnt change your connection type...

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
You need to be rooted, than you can change these settings/databases to enable sideloading.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** WARNING!! THESE SETTING ARE PRIMARILY FOR MOD DEVELOPERS OR FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO CONSTANTLY RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS. WHILE THESE SETTING CAN BE APPLIED WITHOUT FACTORY RESETTING, IT IS A LITTLE MORE DIFFICULT -- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! ****

**UPDATE** Great supplementary guide by Amil: http://www.amilkhanzada.com/2012/03/how-to-enable-select-network-on.html?m=1

Hello All! I'll get straight to the point.

I was playing around with some files, and noticed a bunch of configuration files in the '/system/etc/motorola/' directory. This directory is filled with custom setting that are applied after a factory reset. Here are some examples that I have played with:

Setting: - Enable the 'Unknown sources' check box (Allows you to install non-market apps)
    Code:
     force_only_market_apps=0

File: /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.setup/defaults.xml
    Setting: - Allow you the option of bypassing the Motoblur setup altogether
    Code:
     <boolean name='ShowSkipSetupMenu' value='true'/>

File: /system/etc/motorola/com.android.phone/defaults.xml
    Setting: - Unlocks the mobile networks, 'Select network' and 'Operator selection
    Code:
    <boolean name='network_select_menu' value='true'/>

I have completed a test and can confirm that "Use Wireless Network" check box is "agps and wifi positioning" controlled with one check box. I would argue that the suggested modification to display the AGPS checkbox is legacy feature and unneccasary. Exposing both check boxes in the GUI will most likely get the files out of sync that these check boxes write to. You can confirm that the "Use Wireless Network" check box enables agps by using maps over cellular data (3G required) with GPS and wifi turned off. You'll notice that maps will find your location. This is agps. While we are on the subject, the menu option with the "2G check box", has been replaced with the 'Select network' menu with 2G/3G/Automatic.

I kind of wish that the original posts would be updated as people are being mislead in this thread. The AGPS configuration does not need to be modified. In this situation, the stock settings are already optimized for agps, wifi and gps as well as the optimal server.

*** CONFIRMED NO IMPROVEMENT ***

Setting: - Enables the Assisted GPS option in the "locations and security" menu page
    Code:
     agps_feature_enabled=1

attachment.php

Here are some other interesting setting that I haven't had a chance to play with yet:

File: /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/settings.mkitso
    Setting: - Unknown
    Code:
    dun_enable=1
    Bluetooth_Dun_Enabled=true

Not sure what these do, but if you find out, please post it in this thread.

Thanks and I hope you all find these settings useful. Also, from my limited testing, the settings are only applied after a factor reset. This helpful for mod developers and those of use who that factory reset our devices often--the setting are automatically applied after a hard reset.

[size=+2]*** ADDITIONAL INFO ON HOW TO APPLY THESE MODIFICATION WITHOUT FACTORY RESETTING****[/size]

Great explanation provided by forum member jjwatmyself:

This is the Atrix, proof of concept for Enable mobile networks settings: 'Select network' and 'Operator selection' that are greyed out in 4.1.83.

FALSE

INCOMPLETE METHOD

Here is the complete method. I decided to post as I had some issues getting the described methods to work also.

Thanks to to mistadman and crnkoj and liranm2. My post is simply to join all of the items into a single method and provide information on what the resulting un-greyed settings do.

End result is that this method works flawlessly providing that all of the following steps are completed.

Setting:

2) When I initially tested, I found that the files would revert to their original state after rebooting, but on http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1108181 member liranm2 states that YOU MUST DELETE THE BACKUP XML FILES THAT ROOT EXPLORER CREATES.

3) Reboot phone.

In summary, the above changes provide un-greyed options under Settings, Wireless & networks, Mobile networks as follows:

1) Select network
    2) Operator selection

• Automatic = GMS auto (PRL) = medium battery consumption, with fastest data speeds when 3G towers are 'preferred' over 2G towers. This is based on what the towers advertise as being available. i.e. if a 2G tower has a stronger signal than another 2G/3G capable tower, then use 2G.

2. a stronger signal will yield lower transmit power consumption by the phone, i.e. don't force 3G if there is a stronger signal available at 2G.

'Operator selection':

• Search networks = see all of the providers that your radio is compatible with, i.e. providers transmiting on frequencies your device supports.
    • Select automatically = will prompt every time your phone moves between different services that your provider offers that are not considered roaming.

On AT&T's network, using Any Cut to run Activity, GSM/UMTS Options provides a slight variation of the above menu. This can be used without modifying files. Instead we get a 'Use only 2G networks' check box which causes the phone to switch between GSM Only and GSM auto (PRL).

All of the methods described have the same result as dialing *#*#4636#*#*, then Phone Information, Set preferred network type. The acronyms shown on this menu most likely do not mean what you think they mean, hence the descriptions included in this post. Alternate method is to use Any Cut to run Activity and select Phone Information (thanks Vangelis13).

I'll post a link to this on the GingBlur thread to see if Ken will include these changes in his next version. My opinion is that having these settings would take the phone closer to a native build.

BTW Nice comments from crnkoj. Although I did not need to modify any settings.db files in any way, those files have some pretty interesting fields in them, just nothing that appears to be network_select_menu related.

Enable mobile networks settings: 'Select network' and 'Operator selection settings

I do believe on att network this option even if enabled, doesnt change your connection type...

FALSE

doesn't work for me even though I changed at both places and did a reboot ..

INCOMPLETE METHOD

Setting:

change the line
    Code:
    "network_select_menu" > "false" > "true"

3) Reboot phone.

1) Select network
    2) Operator selection

'Operator selection':

Maybe I'm missing something, but I added " agps_feature_enabled=1" to "/system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/settings.mkitso" and "Enable Assisted GPS" does not appear (even after reboot).

What am I missing here? Is there another file that needs to be edited?

Obviously this is provider specific, so if you are a world phone user that needs AGPS, using an internet accessible AGPS server is the way to go, otherwise I would recommend sticking with stock in this case.

Also, does 'Enable Assisted GPS' duplicate 'Use wireless networks' which states 'Location determiend by Wi-Fi and/or mobile networks. This makes me 'think' it might be AGPS plus wifi positioning...

In summary... is AGPS (plus wifi GPS) already implemented and optimized on the Atrix? I'm leaning towards the yes side of the fence on this one.

Exactly, that options it's the AGPS one, we don't need to enable another one.

But, I don't live on USA, nor AT&T user, but installed 2.3.4 from AT&T, so, I changed to supl.google.com as you mentioned, and my GPS it's locking DAMN FAST compared to the default settings. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Is there any way to debrand the phone by changing some of the system files? It will be great if someone knowledgeable can explore this possibility
    I managed to upgrade my old xperia x10i by using the hack given in this thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=8934154

I really don't want to go down the path of unlocking bootloader

I installed a boot animation and I don't see the AT&T boot animation again...

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/02/download-droid-razr-boot-animation-and-sounds/