[Batt] Safe to Overcharge?

Search This thread

junialum

Apr 23, 2012
Singapore
I'd like to check if its safe to leave my phone charging for 7+ hours. It will be nice to leave the phone charging as I sleep.

But without a timer this would easily mean 3+ extra hours of it being left charging when it's already fully charging.

Will overcharging on a daily basis lead to any problems?

Thanks.

shankly1985

Dec 13, 2010
The KOP
I'd like to check if its safe to leave my phone charging for 7+ hours. It will be nice to leave the phone charging as I sleep.

But without a timer this would easily mean 3+ extra hours of it being left charging when it's already fully charging.

Thanks.

Theses phones stop charging once they hit 100% it very safe :) did it with my desire for two years.

ArmedandDangerous

Aug 8, 2011
Kuala Lumpur

Thanks.

The phone stops charging at 100% and lets it drop to 95% before starting to charge again to combat overcharging.

Reactions: junialum

Vishalvennu

Apr 7, 2013
Hyderabad
So u people say that custom Roms can be safe when we over charge
By automatically stopping it or discharging a little bit.
I use a galaxy note.however replacing it with a htc one...
I won't mod them by installing custom Roms and all..
What if I do the same wit it now?(overcharging?)

Alex240188

May 4, 2010
Hull
Its not possible to overcharge it. And the ROM you are running will have no effect on this behaviour.

Its all controlled by the charging circuits inside your phone.
They read the amount of millivolts that your battery is giving out.

These are not exact numbers (just an example)
Low battery - 800mv
You put it on charge
When your phone reaches 2000mv - full battery
it will stop accepting voltage in
While it is still plugged in your battery can fall to about 1940mv at which point it will start charging again until it reaches 2000again.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Reactions: athulele

Clarke88

Jun 16, 2013
Battery get hot when charged overnight...

Theses phones stop charging once they hit 100% it very safe :) did it with my desire for two years.

Ok cool, I see. Despite what you said above, I also have been doing this for a short period but when i get up in the morning, my htc one m8 are hot at the back. When i remove the charger the heat disperses. Can you tell me if this is normal? Also my phone are using 4.4.2 which is not the latest update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks.

No. Charging overnight is fine.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

Thanks.

The phone stops charging at 100% and lets it drop to 95% before starting to charge again to combat overcharging.
    Its not possible to overcharge it. And the ROM you are running will have no effect on this behaviour.

Its all controlled by the charging circuits inside your phone.
    They read the amount of millivolts that your battery is giving out.

These are not exact numbers (just an example)
    Low battery - 800mv
    You put it on charge
    When your phone reaches 2000mv - full battery
    it will stop accepting voltage in
    While it is still plugged in your battery can fall to about 1940mv at which point it will start charging again until it reaches 2000again.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app