Wifi running super slow, please help. (Solved in my case)

Search This thread

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
I have an oldie Netgear but someone is selling the wndr3400 for $40 local. Maybe I will give it a shot.

I have the WNDR4300, but i have no idea how the 3400 is.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

BTW, can you log into your router and check the log? Look for "DoS Attack: RST Scan".

After checking the log on my router, i noticed A LOT of DOS attacks, and after checking the IPs, it looks like Google and Telenor are attacking my router. After some more googling, it looks like i'm not the only one getting these attacks from google. This might be why our connections are getting "crippled" now and then, so check your log and see if you've also been attacked. I'm going to dig some more and update here if i find anything else.

Last edited:

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Alright, i'm back :p It looks like my router is "panicking" whenever it receives a lot of data in small packets, so it thinks it's a DDoS attack, and it blocks and logs it. This might be the reason why it slows down, but i'm not having any slowdowns on my computer, but only on the Ultra. Damn you to hell, technology!

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
hahah tell me about it, like mine suddenly working fine then the HTC dropping to 5MB..like when you think you know what the issue is, then it totally changes :D

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
Complete happiness! :D
Got a used $30 Linksys E2500 and WOW, now even my smartwatch (ZGPAX S5) maxes my internet connect (24Mb as I just downgraded it).
Even my Prime does 24Mb which I though it could not do at all since it is famous for horrible Wifi range and GPS.
And of course, my Ultra is smoking fast too now at maxed out speeds.
I can rest now :D

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Complete happiness! :D
Got a used $30 Linksys E2500 and WOW, now even my smartwatch (ZGPAX S5) maxes my internet connect (24Mb as I just downgraded it).
Even my Prime does 24Mb which I though it could not do at all since it is famous for horrible Wifi range and GPS.
And of course, my Ultra is smoking fast too now at maxed out speeds.
I can rest now :D

Alright, so i guess i'm alone now. God damn it!

Congrats on "fixing" it though! $30 for a router is dirt cheap, so it's actually pretty funny to see that a cheap router does a better job than a $200 router. Just typical :p Well, i guess i'll have to take a closer look at my router tomorrow.

EDIT: Okay, so i just tested the up/down speed on both my laptop and my Ultra like 3 meters from the router.

- Laptop: 12Mbps down, 5Mbps up (as usual)
- Ultra: 12Mbps down (but then it fell down to 8Mbps) and 4Mbps up.

I then turned Wifi off and on again on the Ultra, and i got 12 down and 6 up. It works NOW, but my guess is that it'll start to drop in a few hours and i have no idea why.

Last edited:

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
Yeah sorry man. :/
But I can see that most of the headaches I have been having for a LONG time were just the router...maybe it was dying already and I always thought my Prime tablet was super slow in the wifi department because of thatl..so I took it all for granted that way. :)
But yeah, in my case my router was very old and was cheap so this one is a MUCH more modern one but your case is not that one though. :/

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Alright, so i guess i'm alone now. God damn it!

Congrats on "fixing" it though! $30 for a router is dirt cheap, so it's actually pretty funny to see that a cheap router does a better job than a $200 router. Just typical :p Well, i guess i'll have to take a closer look at my router tomorrow.

EDIT: Okay, so i just tested the up/down speed on both my laptop and my Ultra like 3 meters from the router.

- Laptop: 12Mbps down, 5Mbps up (as usual)
- Ultra: 12Mbps down (but then it fell down to 8Mbps) and 4Mbps up.

I then turned Wifi off and on again on the Ultra, and i got 12 down and 6 up. It works NOW, but my guess is that it'll start to drop in a few hours and i have no idea why.

Have you used something like a wifi analyzer to see who else is on the same channels?

Oh and check for cheap power supplies and fluro lights - they can spew out a lot of noise...

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Have you used something like a wifi analyzer to see who else is on the same channels?

Oh and check for cheap power supplies and fluro lights - they can spew out a lot of noise...

Yup, there are like 10 2.4GHz networks around me, and 0 5GHz networks, but both 2.4 and 5 slows down after a couple of hours. I'm always getting max speeds on my laptop, and the Ultra is the only one that struggles. It will hit max and then slowly decrease down to almost half of that.

As mentioned earlier, it went back to normal after i turned the Wifi on my Ultra off and on for 3 seconds, so it has to be a software bug on my Ultra. I have the Netgear WNDR4300 which i got like two months ago.

Vanquiz

Nov 13, 2010
Just want to give a little update, wifi connection seems slows a lot, only at 3 Mbps. On iPad on the same connection speedtest shows normal fast speed.

1. Restarted modem and router, same result.
2. Turn off and turn on wifi on ZU, same result.
3. Forget wifi network, and reconnect, same result.
4. Almost give up with frustration.
5. Turn off phone and turn it back on, then finally the speed back to normal.

So at least on my phone, i think i need to restart my phone every other day to prevent the drop on wifi speed, but still need to see if it happens again in the next few days.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Just want to give a little update, wifi connection seems slows a lot, only at 3 Mbps. On iPad on the same connection speedtest shows normal fast speed.

So at least on my phone, i think i need to restart my phone every other day to prevent the drop on wifi speed, but still need to see if it happens again in the next few days.

I stumbled upon something today. Disable "WiFi optimization" (WiFi->Advanced). Some say it'll stop Android from "pinging" the router every couple of seconds. I disabled it a couple of hours ago, but my WiFi issue creeps up on me, so i'll have to wait and see if it solves my problem. Also, i read that disabling the "n" (in b/g/n) (local speed over 54Mbps) helps too. I haven't disabled that yet, but i still find it funny that my 4 year old laptop isn't having any issues with WiFi. I was on 4.4.2 (GPe ROM) earlier today and it was still the same, so it can't be software, and i refuse to believe that it's a hardware issue (since turning WiFi off and on speeds it up again), so it has to be my router or some crappy Android WiFi drivers.

I can of course set it to turn WiFi off when i turn the screen off, and that'll "refresh" the connection every time i use it, but then i'll have to wait a couple of seconds for it to connect every time i turn the screen on :p I ain't got time for dat!

Reactions: Vanquiz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I stumbled upon something today. Disable "WiFi optimization" (WiFi->Advanced). Some say it'll stop Android from "pinging" the router every couple of seconds. I disabled it a couple of hours ago, but my WiFi issue creeps up on me, so i'll have to wait and see if it solves my problem. Also, i read that disabling the "n" (in b/g/n) (local speed over 54Mbps) helps too. I haven't disabled that yet, but i still find it funny that my 4 year old laptop isn't having any issues with WiFi. I was on 4.4.2 (GPe ROM) earlier today and it was still the same, so it can't be software, and i refuse to believe that it's a hardware issue (since turning WiFi off and on speeds it up again), so it has to be my router or some crappy Android WiFi drivers.

I can of course set it to turn WiFi off when i turn the screen off, and that'll "refresh" the connection every time i use it, but then i'll have to wait a couple of seconds for it to connect every time i turn the screen on :p I ain't got time for dat!