CyanogenMod 9 ICS for Captivate Q&A(Unofficial)

Search This thread

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
This thread is for the support of CM9 ICS release by CyanogenMod

This is NOT an official CyanogenMod thread, and isn't officially supported by CyanogenMod or Teamhacksung.

This thread is designed to help keep the dev thread clean and clear for the dev's to do their magic. So please feel free to ask any questions about the ROM, but flaming will not give great results and will be reported

The main CyanogenMod CM9 ROM thread is HERE

The Nightlies can be found here

GAAPS can be found here
Look for 'gaaps-ics-********-signed.zip'

Modems for ICS:
http://soggycashew.weebly.com/cm7miui--ics-modems.html
Modem Coverage Map:
http://soggycashew.weebly.com/modem-location-map.html
ONLY USE THE MODEMS MADE FOR CM7/Miui/ICS.

Give the ROM thread and this one a good read before you post, you may find the answer is already available. Keep in mind that each device may behave slightly different, so YMMV

People have found different ways to successfully install, and it works for them, but their method may not work for everyone. So it is highly suggested to follow the method recommended by the developers.

This is copied directly from the dev OP:

"-First time flashing ICS to your Captivate (or coming from another ROM)?

1. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
2. Reboot into Recovery using 3-button-combo
3. Do a Nandroid backup!
4. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
5. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
6. Optionally install the Google Addon
7. WIPE again or Calendar Sync will not work

-Upgrading from CM7?
1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
2. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
3. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
4. Optionally install the Google Addon

-Upgrading from another CM9 (or teamhacksung) Build?
1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
2. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
3. Optionally install the Google Addon

Note: The upgrade process from CM7 to ICS is automatic, but downgrading from ICS to CM7 (or restoring Nandroid) requires flashing twice. Once from ICS and again from CM7's recovery."

FAQ

The FAQ is available on Teamhacksung's Wiki. Please read before asking any questions and please feel free to edit it.

http://teamhacksung.org/wiki/index.php/Experimental:GT-I9000:Frequently_Asked_Questions

Known Issues

Please check the list of known issues before reporting bugs.

http://teamhacksung.org/wiki/index.php/Experimental:GT-I9000:Known_issues

Reporting Bugs

You are allowed to report bugs ONLY in the Development thread. Before reporting a bug, please make sure you are running as stock as possible. This means no custom kernel, no custom framework modification, etc. If you are using any of the above modifications, please flash the rom again to get rid of the modifications before reporting.
Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred.
If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. The following is a useful format to follow.

Thanks to the entire CyanogenMod Team for creating their magic for our aging Captivates!

Last edited:

tarpman

Nov 30, 2011
Victoria, BC
I just registered so I can't post in the development thread... I hope this is the next best place...

I flashed build 3 of the ICS ROM and the DNS, at least for wifi, seems hardcoded to 8.8.8.8. I changed it to my local DNS ('su', 'setprop net.dns1 192.168.1.1'), checked that I could ping a local name, turned wifi off and on again, and it had gone back to 8.8.8.8. I'm new to Android so I don't know whether there's a way to set it harder, but I had expected that it would get the DNS servers from DHCP... that is definitely what stock Gingerbread and CM7 both did.

Hopefully some kind person will pass this message on to the developers... I am not sure whether this is the wifi DNS update issue listed in the Known Issues on the dev thread but if so maybe that should be marked confirmed :)

nsyik

Jan 11, 2011
What should i do before flashing this rom? I'm currently with gal net miui. I assume that's cm7? So should i just flash after wipe? Or go back to stock first?

Sent from my I897 using XDA App

Hasher76

Aug 5, 2011
it states to wipe data and cache, then install from miui or CM7, no need to return to stock. Some run it better than others, mines running just fine with their release 3

kusabikuri

Oct 7, 2010
Cupertino
Dunno if anyone else has this issue but both mornings since flashing, I've woken up to an unresponsive touchscreen. clicking the hard button brings up the lock screen and everything looks right but it's just unresponsive to touch. I've had to fiddle with the hard buttons to be able to use the touchscreen again.

Last edited:

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
When finding things wrong with this build, you do have to realize that it's not even a beta yet, and things are gonna be slow/broken/or not integrated yet. I'm sure the devs will add all this stuff once the basic framework is solid. And like someone else stated, the best way is to go from CM7. It's very easy. I can even flash back and forth no hassle

Hasher76

Aug 5, 2011
after updating (after clearing the phone again) to build 5, i get more errors than with build 3. Gonna go back and try it again.

doctor_r

Dec 29, 2010
Two issues in build 5, calendar issues, no sync. Tried custom apk's, no luck with that. Reflashed gappsv5 still no good. Was working on build3 with gapps v4.1. Also anyone able to get their facebook account to sync. Try adding facebook account and just nothing...

flashman2002

Aug 8, 2010
Derby/Wichita Kansas
Having market download issues, even with free apps it just hangs on the downloading line. Wipe cache and reflashed GAPPS v.5 and it still is having issues. I was able to download World of Goo last night but nothing good this AM. Any other suggestions that may work?

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
I am also was having market issues. What helped me was making them download to phone from the market website. It helped a bit. And yes, the Facebook sync seems broken

Sent from my ICS Captivate

Last edited:

GalaxySdude

Mar 2, 2011
Two issues in build 5, calendar issues, no sync. Tried custom apk's, no luck with that. Reflashed gappsv5 still no good. Was working on build3 with gapps v4.1. Also anyone able to get their facebook account to sync. Try adding facebook account and just nothing...
I had the same calendar sync problem. Did a wipe, flashed build 5, immediately flashed Gapps v5.1 before rebooting, and that fixed it for me.

namtellum

Sep 22, 2010
FB sync doesn't work on ICS at all so I wouldn't expect a quick fix. I downloaded the friendcaster app and used that to sync with my contacts.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is for the support of CM9 ICS release by CyanogenMod

This is NOT an official CyanogenMod thread, and isn't officially supported by CyanogenMod or Teamhacksung.

This thread is designed to help keep the dev thread clean and clear for the dev's to do their magic. So please feel free to ask any questions about the ROM, but flaming will not give great results and will be reported

The main CyanogenMod CM9 ROM thread is HERE

The Nightlies can be found here

GAAPS can be found here
    Look for 'gaaps-ics-********-signed.zip'

Modems for ICS:
    http://soggycashew.weebly.com/cm7miui--ics-modems.html
    Modem Coverage Map:
    http://soggycashew.weebly.com/modem-location-map.html
    ONLY USE THE MODEMS MADE FOR CM7/Miui/ICS.

Give the ROM thread and this one a good read before you post, you may find the answer is already available. Keep in mind that each device may behave slightly different, so YMMV

People have found different ways to successfully install, and it works for them, but their method may not work for everyone. So it is highly suggested to follow the method recommended by the developers.

This is copied directly from the dev OP:

"-First time flashing ICS to your Captivate (or coming from another ROM)?

1. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
    2. Reboot into Recovery using 3-button-combo
    3. Do a Nandroid backup!
    4. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    5. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    6. Optionally install the Google Addon
    7. WIPE again or Calendar Sync will not work

-Upgrading from CM7?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    3. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    4. Optionally install the Google Addon

-Upgrading from another CM9 (or teamhacksung) Build?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    3. Optionally install the Google Addon

Note: The upgrade process from CM7 to ICS is automatic, but downgrading from ICS to CM7 (or restoring Nandroid) requires flashing twice. Once from ICS and again from CM7's recovery."

FAQ

The FAQ is available on Teamhacksung's Wiki. Please read before asking any questions and please feel free to edit it.

http://teamhacksung.org/wiki/index.php/Experimental:GT-I9000:Frequently_Asked_Questions

Known Issues

Please check the list of known issues before reporting bugs.

http://teamhacksung.org/wiki/index.php/Experimental:GT-I9000:Known_issues

Reporting Bugs

You are allowed to report bugs ONLY in the Development thread. Before reporting a bug, please make sure you are running as stock as possible. This means no custom kernel, no custom framework modification, etc. If you are using any of the above modifications, please flash the rom again to get rid of the modifications before reporting.
    Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred.
    If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. The following is a useful format to follow.

Thanks to the entire CyanogenMod Team for creating their magic for our aging Captivates!
    Ok, so before flashing Build 15 I decided to check out the other ICS rom out here (rc4) just for funzies. Turns out not a great idea. Flashed the rom and it su decides to deny every permission required app. Its up to date too, whatever I didnt want to deal with it and decided to flash back b15 (yes I followed instructions from OP) but I get an error:
    getprop("ro.product.board") == captivate
    E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation Aborted.

According to google, some say status 7 is an out-dated CWM Recovery I think. Well, I thot I dont mind going back to stock and then working my back to ICS but the new ClockWorkMod app is weird. It says it doesnt support Captivate (MTD) and to use the already installed recovery which I wouldnt have if I go back to stock, right?

A little confused, hopefully somebody can throw some advice my way. Oh btw, I can still flash the RC4 file thru recovery without error.

Just flash this kernel reverter/kernel cleaner, then BEFORE you reboot flash the THS CM9 and it will NOT give you tje get prop error.
    The error bappens because once you flashed the other ics it makes you phone read as a i9000. NO NEED TO FLASH STOCK. http://db.tt/o1IOmK4d

EDIT: Just noticed you got it working. Just keep tjis kernel reverter handy and it will get you past those get prop issues kn the future for cm9.

Sent From My KickAss ATT SGS2 SPORTING CM7
    I have been running ICS port from Teamhacksung since beta three and have had no issues with it at all, guess I am one of the lucky ones. When flashed b13 all was great and then I got Sleep of Death the next morning. I flashed Glitch Kernel and all was solved. But Glitch is Glitchy. LOL. Well I am on b14 now testing it and this morning was Sleep Of Death. I dont want to flash Glitch because the stock Kernal is pretty sweet. Does anybody have an Idea why it is doing this and if there is a cure? This only takes place when plugged into a A/C adapter not to my PC.
    Thanks for the help.

The charge death problem could be due to a hot battery. Is the phone warm/hot to the touch when it first dies? The wall charger charges the phone faster by supplying a higher voltage. This can cause the battery to get hotter than charging at a lower voltage. The battery in our Captivates is designed to stop charging if it gets too warm. Based on recent evidence, it appears that at least on the teamhacksung ICS ROM, it may also be causing the phone to "die." The battery shut down feature is to protect the phone and you from the battery starting a fire (such as has happened with some iPhone's recently).

If your battery is overheating, there are two potential causes. The first is that your charger/cable may have issues and need to be replaced. I have read of at least one person solving the charge death problem by replacing their charger. The other cause could be the battery itself. As the battery ages, it becomes less efficient and it is possible that it is getting hotter when charging now than it did when it was new. If this is the case, a new battery could solve the problem.

edit: To clarify, you mention that your problem only happens when charging on the A/C charger. This means you have a charge death, not a sleep death. People who have sleep death have their phone die when not using it (and not charging it). Sleep death is a completely different problem that is frequently fixed by changing the lowest clock setting to a higher speed (200 - 400 Mhz) or increasing the minimum voltage at the lowest clock speeds.

The sleep death is a recognized problem by AT&T and Samsung which caused them to replace phones that have the issue in Nov/Dec 2010. A update was released around that time that provided a software "fix" for the sleep death. It is theorized that the software fix was an increase in speed or voltage (or both) to prevent sleep death.
    Was wondering if anyone was having any wireless download speed problems? I am currently getting 200kbps down and 4.5mb upload (huge difference, obviously).

Running stock everything on build 15 with no kind of wireless fixing applications installed.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Take a look at a new modem. You can find one here
    Also, take a look here There is a map that can give you some ideas as to which modem works (according to other users) in your area
    On build 12, Gapps v7.1: I'm getting ""App x" could not be downloaded due to an error. (-101)". I've tried clearing the market's data, but no change. Any ideas to fix this?

Thought I'd share what fixed my issue, in case it helps someone else...

- removed my Google account from accounts menu
    - re-added my account
    - reboot
    - issue solved, and no need to flash the fixer

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium