Titanium Backup ?

Search This thread

Phil_UK

Jul 26, 2009
Hi,

I have been using this to backup, but have trouble restoring xROM. Is it able to restore apps in say 2.1, backed up in 1.5 (app compatibility aside)

Thanks
Phil

Tehmk

Oct 2, 2009
To be honest, I have a problem with this too, I always regularly backup and tried to restore all my apps in CKDROID (2.1 ROM), but I couldn't even install most of the apps, some worked, but more than 70% of my apps were just skipped.

shelnes

Feb 15, 2009
Oslo
heln.es
I have also found the Titanium backup a bit unreliable. I bought MyBackUp Pro and it is at the moment the best backup app (in my eyes)

xlxl

Nov 4, 2009
I have also found the Titanium backup a bit unreliable. I bought MyBackUp Pro and it is at the moment the best backup app (in my eyes)

mybackup also skips apps. perhaps only 70-80%.
I use appmanager to backup my apps, and mybackup for data, that is the best way for me.

e2zippo

Dec 28, 2009
Borlänge
I use mybackup pro for sms, call logs and all other data, and titanium backup for applications, although i too must admit it's a bit unreliable.

Is there any application that allows all apps to be restored with one click, using mybackup pro is a hassle as i have to press install for every app!

And what about if i use apps2d, do i have to restore them every time i flash a new rom or will they still be there?

joel.bourquard

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 7, 2009
Hi !

I'm the Titanium Backup developer.

For those who have problems with reliability (especially for the app restoration) I would recommend to try the "Problems?" button in the app which will download and install a known good version of busybox. This simple step usually annihilates most problem cases :)

e3zippo: thanks by the way for being a donator ! Just a question, I saw your post on the MoDaCo forum thread (sorry I can't post proper links as a new user. URL is: android.modaco.com/content/software/297171/new-software-that-can-backup-restore-all-settings-of-any-apps/ ) which led me to believe that everything worked fine for you. So which of your posts is the most up-to-date ? I assume you first had problems and then they got sorted out ?

Thanks,

Joël

Reactions: pandashoe

e2zippo

Dec 28, 2009
Borlänge
Hi !

For those who have problems with reliability (especially for the app restoration) I would recommend to try the "Problems?" button in the app which will download and install a known good version of busybox. This simple step usually annihilates most problem cases :)

e3zippo: thanks by the way for being a donator ! Just a question, I saw your post on the MoDaCo forum thread (sorry I can't post proper links as a new user. URL is: android.modaco.com/content/software/297171/new-software-that-can-backup-restore-all-settings-of-any-apps/ ) which led me to believe that everything worked fine for you. So which of your posts is the most up-to-date ? I assume you first had problems and then they got sorted out ?

Thanks,

Joël

Hey Joel! I couldn't really live without titanium backup so i felt a donation was in order :)

I still have a few problems, when i restore using batch it skipped atrackdog and one more app i can't remember, i will try and download a known good version of busybox as you recommended, and we'll see what happens! Thanks for replying!

maxqc

Dec 4, 2007
Hey all

I discovered this app and donated about a week ago...

I made just one restore and wasn't sure the order I should use after a wipe...

I did
1. Wipe
2. Market to download Titanium (But i didn't go in the download section so next time, it'll show all apps I previously downloaded)
3. Restore
4. Market

But I had to restore twice cause market wasn't showing all my apps...

How you guys do that ?

joel.bourquard

Sep 7, 2009
Hi maxqc,

Your procedure should be correct.

If the market link does not appear for an app, I see two reasonable reasons for that:
a) market cache needs clearing (does not apply in your case because you did a wipe)
b) market entries got deleted by the system a few seconds after I restored them.

I have noticed case "b" recently and indeed, this can be annoying but it's really the system that is removing what I just added in the Market data.

To resolve this without needing a 2nd restore, I will probably add a "repair all Market links" feature in Titanium Backup soon.

Have fun :)

joel.bourquard

Sep 7, 2009
One more thing that is important: always verify that the "Enable USB Debugging" checkbox in the phone settings is checked.

I will add a verification for that, in the next Titanium Backup release.

jdoo

Jan 29, 2010
Would it be possible to add a feature so that titanium backup will also back up our home screen layout? This is the only feature that I find missing in your great software.

joel.bourquard

Sep 7, 2009
Would it be possible to add a feature so that titanium backup will also back up our home screen layout? This is the only feature that I find missing in your great software.
Hi jdoo,

This should already be in the current version: look for something green-colored, labeled either as "Launcher" or as "Home" (depending of whether you have a google or a HTC rom) :)

jdoo

Jan 29, 2010
Hi jdoo,

This should already be in the current version: look for something green-colored, labeled either as "Launcher" or as "Home" (depending of whether you have a google or a HTC rom) :)
Thank you for the quick response! I must have missed it since the batch backup appears to skip over system type items.

Thanks again for your efforts on this program and your quick response - I absolutely love how fast the unattended batch restore is in the paid version.

daandman

Aug 3, 2009
Can you explain the different batch options for me? I'm a little confused by them.

What's the difference between the two "backup all user apps" options (why does the 'running apps will be auto-ended' one have more apps)? And what does the "force refresh of your backups" do?

cigar3tte

Mar 11, 2009
Can you explain the different batch options for me? I'm a little confused by them.

What's the difference between the two "backup all user apps" options (why does the 'running apps will be auto-ended' one have more apps)? And what does the "force refresh of your backups" do?

If you have an app running that you do not want to terminate, you can use the first option. The second option has more apps listed because it does not exclude apps that are currently running.

No idea on force refresh, but it seems like it will do a full backup of apps you backed up before, and also delete what you've uninstalled but had backed up.

joel.bourquard

Sep 7, 2009

Hi daandman,

It's quite simple actually:

Option 1: The "Backup all user apps (running apps excluded)" will backup all user apps, *except* those which are currently running.

Option 2: The "Backup all user apps (running apps auto-ended)" will backup all user apps, *including* those which are currently running (it auto-kills them as needed before backing them up).

Thus it is normal that Option 2 always includes more apps than Option 1 !

The "Force refresh of your backups" option will remake any backups that you currently have:
- if you have the Free version it will simply overwrite the backup
- if you have the Donate version (and a backup history setting greater than 1) it will simply add a new backup for the app, and delete the oldest one if the max history length is reached for that app.

joel.bourquard

Sep 7, 2009
If you have an app running that you do not want to terminate, you can use the first option. The second option has more apps listed because it does not exclude apps that are currently running.

No idea on force refresh, but it seems like it will do a full backup of apps you backed up before, and also delete what you've uninstalled but had backed up.
Hi cigar3tte ;)

Absolutely correct - except that "force refresh" will not delete backups of uninstalled apps.

joel.bourquard

Sep 7, 2009

Hi cigar3tte ;)

You are absolutely correct - except that "force refresh" will not delete backups (of uninstalled apps).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    If you have the ClockworkMod recovery, you'll be able to wipe the data from the recovery menu. In case you don't, you might be able to connect with "adb logcat" from a computer during the boot sequence to see what's wrong. Once you saw which app is misbehaving (let's say its package name is "com.x.y"), you should try:

adb shell
    su
    rm -rf /data/data/com.x.y

Be careful with the last command because if typed incorrectly, it could erase everything on your phone including the SD card.
    Hi !

Thanks,

Joël
    Flash via recovery.
    I am really struggling with TB. I've looked all over the internet forums and even youtube videos and everyone says the same procedure to transfer apps to new roms but it just does not work for me. I am on cm 10.1 running JB 4.2.1. I wanted to try out JellyBam rom 4.1.2. I backed up all my apps on CM and when flashed over to JellyBAM rom none of the apps are there on TB.I dont uderstand why they are not there. So I went back to CM rom through CWM recovery and tried moving the Apps to external SD card through TB. Then I flashed back to jellybam to move them from the EXT to internal and nothing. The only apps it shows are the new ones that came with JellyBam and I cannot recover any of my previous apps... anyone can tell how I can transfer them over =/ ..I know it would be an issue to transfer system apps since I am transferring to different android version but I am simply transferring downloaded apps. In the Restore missing apps with data option it says 0. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi,

On your new device can you try MENU -> Preferences -> Backup location and hit DETECT? That might help.
    I am really struggling with TB. I've looked all over the internet forums and even youtube videos and everyone says the same procedure to transfer apps to new roms but it just does not work for me. I am on cm 10.1 running JB 4.2.1. I wanted to try out JellyBam rom 4.1.2. I backed up all my apps on CM and when flashed over to JellyBAM rom none of the apps are there on TB.I dont uderstand why they are not there. So I went back to CM rom through CWM recovery and tried moving the Apps to external SD card through TB. Then I flashed back to jellybam to move them from the EXT to internal and nothing. The only apps it shows are the new ones that came with JellyBam and I cannot recover any of my previous apps... anyone can tell how I can transfer them over =/ ..I know it would be an issue to transfer system apps since I am transferring to different android version but I am simply transferring downloaded apps. In the Restore missing apps with data option it says 0. any help would be greatly appreciated.

try to change the filter settings, you probably have it set to just show the installed apps

do this: Backup/Restore tab > Click to edit filters (top right, under schedules) and choose on the first line "Backed up" and "Unist." on the second

cheers ;)