[Q] Possible bug with Home button setting

Search This thread

Bachatu

Jul 8, 2011
Orlando, FL
I posted this earlier in the main HTC M8 forum bug list post and figured it belongs here instead because someone with the ATT version said they don't have that. This is something that I experienced before and after I rooted the Sprint M8.

Basically what happens is that once you enable the setting to long press home for menu under settings and try to use it, it just takes you back to your home screen every time. I was expecting this to be similar to the long press for menu setting the recent apps button had with the EVO 4G LTE.

Go to Settings > Display, gestures and buttons > Buttons - Home

de5u5eze.jpg

bytequ5y.jpg

Can anyone else confirm?

Reactions: Captain_Throwback

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I posted this earlier in the main HTC M8 forum bug list post and figured it belongs here instead because someone with the ATT version said they don't have that. This is something that I experienced before and after I rooted the Sprint M8.

Basically what happens is that once you enable the setting to long press home for menu under settings and try to use it, it just takes you back to your home screen every time. I was expecting this to be similar to the long press for menu setting the recent apps button had with the EVO 4G LTE.

de5u5eze.jpg

bytequ5y.jpg

Can anyone else confirm?
I thought this was just me. It's driving me crazy because I have no menu button.

Bachatu

Jul 8, 2011
Orlando, FL
I'm not sure how many people here had one but... this reminds of the quick launch WebOS introduced back with the Pre. I hope we are able to add more apps to the quick launch.

williejr185

Apr 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yeah I'm going crazy over this too. I thought maybe something was supposed to pop up in the bubble along with the search icon when you hold the home button.

gbritton

Dec 7, 2011
Neither setting in that section seems to have any effect as far as I can see. The home button always acts like "home" if you press and release, or press and hold, and even if you set "press and hold" to be Google Now, pressing and holding still simply acts like you just took a long time to release and it acts as a "home" button.

And, I haven't been able to figure out at all what the "Home double-click speed" setting even refers to.

Reactions: mcwups1

bimmerbot

Nov 21, 2008
I think the double-click speed refers to how quickly you need to double tap the screen while it's off to turn it on, maybe? Not sure why anyone would double-tap then swipe instead of just directly swiping, but whatever. :)

Sent from my 831C using xda app-developers app

ahecht

Oct 23, 2010
It sounds like these are settings left over from the M7, which didn't have on-screen buttons and long press home was needed for menu and double tapping the home button was needed for recent apps. Sounds like they forgot to remove the setting when they switched to on screen buttons.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
It sounds like these are settings left over from the M7, which didn't have on-screen buttons and long press home was needed for menu and double tapping the home button was needed for recent apps. Sounds like they forgot to remove the setting when they switched to on screen buttons.
So if this is in fact the case, where is my Menu button? I can't get to the settings in ES File Explorer without a Menu button.

ahecht

Oct 23, 2010
So if this is in fact the case, where is my Menu button? I can't get to the settings in ES File Explorer without a Menu button.

The menu button shows up for me correctly in legacy apps. This is the correct behavior per http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2012/01/say-goodbye-to-menu-button.html?m=1

uploadfromtaptalk1396319594238.jpg

If ES File Explorer is setting the SDK version to 11 or higher and not providing an action overflow or other on screen way to access the menu then that is a bug with that program.

EDIT: In ES File Explorer, click on the button in the upper right to slide out the "Fast Access" panel. There is a settings button at the bottom of the panel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain_Throwback

schmeggy929

Recognized Themer
Apr 13, 2008
New Jersey
Google Pixel 7 Pro
The menu button shows up for me correctly in legacy apps. This is the correct behavior per http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2012/01/say-goodbye-to-menu-button.html?m=1

View attachment 2661791

If ES File Explorer is setting the SDK version to 11 or higher and not providing an action overflow or other on screen way to access the menu then that is a bug with that program.

EDIT: In ES File Explorer, click on the button in the upper right to slide out the "Fast Access" panel. There is a settings button at the bottom of the panel.

Top left works too ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

de5u5eze.jpg

bytequ5y.jpg

Can anyone else confirm?
    Same thing here, along with the unlock screen. You swipe up too low it brings up Google search or browser. Highly annoying:mad:

Just swipe up without turning on the screen first. It turns on and unlocks the phone. No risk of accidentally going to Google and you save a step.
    Neither setting in that section seems to have any effect as far as I can see. The home button always acts like "home" if you press and release, or press and hold, and even if you set "press and hold" to be Google Now, pressing and holding still simply acts like you just took a long time to release and it acts as a "home" button.

And, I haven't been able to figure out at all what the "Home double-click speed" setting even refers to.

uploadfromtaptalk1396319594238.jpg