[APP][8.24.14] Sprocket - Notifications, SMS/MMS, File Transfer, Remote App Install

Search This thread

East2West

Dec 1, 2011
I bought a gear recently and was sad to see a lack of apps tailored specifically for it so I made one of my own!

Sprocket

Features:

1. Native SMS/MMS functionality.
    • View/Send SMS conversations
    • View MMS

2. File Transfer
    • Send a file from the phone and it will automatically be saved in Internal Storage in the GalaxySMS directory and opened on the Gear from the default handling app
  3. Remote Application Install
    • Allows you to install apps on the gear that are installed on your phone.
    • *Note does not work for paid apps it seems. At least on my Moto X.

Installation
  • Install the apk on both the phone and the gear and you will be good to go. The application will be automatically run on startup, but needs to be started initially once first installed on both the phone and gear.
  • Its a good idea to have bluetooth already turned on when initially starting the app.
  • Install on Phone first, select device
  • Install on gear next, select device

Support
This app was written specifically on my Moto X so there may or may not be issues with other phones. Please send me a logcat and I'll see what I can do.

Update 7.29.2014
Hello everyone!

I've been working many hours on this release and have made several improvements.

ChangeLog

1. Better App Stability
    • System runs in the foreground now so it is less likely to be killed
  2. Improved Connection Speeds
    • Increased buffer size to allow faster transfers
  3. New Notifications For Texts
    • This is the one I'm most excited about. I took some inspiration from the new Android Wear Watches to create custom notifications for our beloved gear.

Installation

Install the update on both the Gear and the Phone. If you already have sprocket installed on your gear you can update it with the new version v1.1 attached to the first post using Remote Install. To enable notifications click "Enable SMS Notifications" on the Phone version and follow the prompts.

Right now the app supports all notifications for SMS, but if you would like to preview notifications across the entire device you may download a developer key available on the play store. It will unlock all other notifications (including ongoing and button control!) from the device and will help continue development from my end to give you new features to make our device more useful. A preview of these notifications below:

Install Developer Key*

*The developer key only needs to be installed on the phone

I'll be going through the thread to address any issues you have come across. Thank you all for the feedback

Update 7.31.2014
Hello everyone!

I have a new version available to address some of the issues in the thread as well as to add some new features.

Download

• Whitelist Applications
    • Go to settings/allowed notifications and uncheck the applications you don't want notifications for
    [*]Local Application Updates
    • Updates will be checked on the phone when the application is started. You can also check by going to menu/check for update on your phone
    [*]Crash/Log Reporting
    • When the application crashes, you will be presented with a dialog to send the crash report to me for analysis. This will help resolve issues on different devices.
    [*]Clear Phone Notifications From Gear
    • When you hit clear on the notification screen on your gear, notifications will be cleared on your phone
    [*]Resend Files If Not Connect To Gear at Transfer Time
    • Fixes an issue when you try to send a file when the gear is not connected. The file will send as soon as device is reconnected
    [*]Crash Fixes
    • Fix crash for some ongoing notifications

Update 8.7.2014
Hello! Thanks for your feedback and crash logs. I've pushed out an update that should take care of the ones I've seen so far with the Nexus 5 crashes and one's when clicking on a conversation on the gear and the contact app is not installed. Let me know if it solves the issues.

Sprocket 1.3b

Thanks,
East2West

Update 8.9.2014
Hey Everyone!

I was on vacation last week, so I only had time to push some incremental updates for some bug fixes, but I'm back now and have some new features!

• New UI for bringing up sms messages and notifications
  • New Media Controller
    • Works with any media player that responds to media button events.
    • *Developer Key Needed
  • Clock On Notification Screen
  • Stability Fixes

Screenshots

Update 8.9.2014
New Update.

• Connection Fixes
    • Fixed an issue where server would not connect on initial app launch
    • Try and reconnect to server on bluetooth toggle
  • New Settings Menu
    • Allows Muting of Notifications. 3 Settings
      • Sound On Symbol - Notifications will vibrate and turn on screen and play the notification sound
      • Vibrate On Symbol - Notifications will only vibrate and not turn on screen
      • Mute Symbol - Notifications will be silent

Update 8.11.2014
Another Update!

• Extended Notification Detail
    • Click on flashing icon to expand
  • New SMS/MMS Theme
  • Improved MMS image quality
  • Media Controller Now Works With Pandora

Update 8.21.2014
  1. Fixed notification buttons not fitting
    • Items that do not fit go on to the next row
  2. Added reply button in sms notifications
    • Will take you to SMS Threads
  3. Notification splitting option in settings
    • Updates to notifications usually replace the last notification in android. This will keep them separate so you can see how it changed over time. Excludes ongoing notifications
  4. Faster connection speeds
  5. Bluetooth reset on disconnection
    • Bluetooth on the gear will reset if the connection is dropped to improve speeds
  6. Support for large images like sms/screenshots
    • Images from sms and other notifications will show in the main view
  7. Added request timeouts
    • Notifications will not be sent to the gear after 15 minutes of being disconnected
  8. Fixed crash when sms is received on the phone and bluetooth is off
  9. Fix duplicate notifications such as email and google music and calendar coming in more than once

Update 8.24.2014
Hello! Another update..

1. Widget Support!
    • Swipe left from main menu
    • Long press to change widget
    • Can also activate by clicking notification clock at the top
    • For both free and developer versions
  2. Out of Memory Crash Fixed
    • Phone memory was greedy before. Should stay in memory much longer without crashing
  3. Removed "Unable to connect" popup from phone
    • Will still show on the gear

For others not able to connect to the gear after upgrading from version 1.3. It may be necessary to upgrade the watch apk manually as the UUID for the bluetooth service has changed and might not be recognized until upgrading the gear to 1.5

Attachments

• Sprocket_1.8.apk
    679.8 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

brad2taylor

May 24, 2009
Houston
Great app! Is it normal that an ongoing notification will cause my watch to vibrate every few minutes? I would prefer that it only notifies me when it pops up initially. I'd also love to see an option to set this app as a lock screen. Thanks and keep up the awesome work!

dkirker

May 24, 2013
I installed this on my SmartQ Z1 and oppo find5 (with CM11) and it is pretty sweet! Thanks! I think this might be by favorite notification manager by far (I've used some for the Z1 and the Pebble). :D :D :cowboy: :highfive:

Reactions: East2West

falum

Feb 9, 2006
Try sprocket with an app called Notif on your phone and you have an instant list maker/photo transfer. Love it

East2West

Dec 1, 2011
Updated Version 1.7

Sprocket 1.7a

• Updates to notifications usually replace the last notification in android. This will keep them separate so you can see how it changed over time. Excludes ongoing notifications
    • Bluetooth on the gear will reset if the connection is dropped to improve speeds
    • Notifications will not be sent to the gear after 15 minutes of being disconnected
  9. Fix duplicate notifications such as email and google music and calendar coming in more than once

Last edited:

falum

Feb 9, 2006
Sprocket 1.7a

Thanks for the update, it wouldn't install over the last version so I removed 1.6 and installed 1.7. works like a charm!

Last edited:

FdeKlerk

Oct 10, 2013
Johannesburg
Does not work.

Hi to all.

The one app that gave me hope to send images to my device does not work.

I tried everything in this forum and still no hope.

And i am also unable to send the log it does not want to work.

Note 3 4.4.2 kitkat rooted.

Screenshot_2014-08-22-09-54-07_geqnote320140822_095529.jpg

Any help would be nice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-22-09-54-07_geqnote320140822_095529.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 79

East2West

Dec 1, 2011
Hi to all.

The one app that gave me hope to send images to my device does not work.

I tried everything in this forum and still no hope.

And i am also unable to send the log it does not want to work.

Note 3 4.4.2 kitkat rooted.

Any help would be nice.

Can you check for a crash log text file in the /sdcard/GalaxySMS directory? It will have the format CrashLog######.txt

If you can send that my way I can see about fixing the crash

East2West

Dec 1, 2011
Updated Version

Hey Everyone!

If you are getting a constant update notification there was an issue with my workspace and the version code would not update. I've reuploaded a new version to fix the issue.

Sprocket 1.7b

East2West

Dec 1, 2011
Updated Version

Hello! Another update..

Sprocket 1.8

1. Widget Support!
    • Phone memory was greedy before. Should stay in memory much longer without crashing

Last edited:
Reactions: dkirker

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought a gear recently and was sad to see a lack of apps tailored specifically for it so I made one of my own!

Sprocket

Features:

1. Native SMS/MMS functionality.
      • View/Send SMS conversations
      • View MMS

2. File Transfer
      • Send a file from the phone and it will automatically be saved in Internal Storage in the GalaxySMS directory and opened on the Gear from the default handling app
    3. Remote Application Install
      • Allows you to install apps on the gear that are installed on your phone.
      • *Note does not work for paid apps it seems. At least on my Moto X.

Installation
    • Install the apk on both the phone and the gear and you will be good to go. The application will be automatically run on startup, but needs to be started initially once first installed on both the phone and gear.
    • Its a good idea to have bluetooth already turned on when initially starting the app.
    • Install on Phone first, select device
    • Install on gear next, select device

Support
    This app was written specifically on my Moto X so there may or may not be issues with other phones. Please send me a logcat and I'll see what I can do.

Update 7.29.2014
    Hello everyone!

I've been working many hours on this release and have made several improvements.

ChangeLog

1. Better App Stability
      • System runs in the foreground now so it is less likely to be killed
    2. Improved Connection Speeds
      • Increased buffer size to allow faster transfers
    3. New Notifications For Texts
      • This is the one I'm most excited about. I took some inspiration from the new Android Wear Watches to create custom notifications for our beloved gear.

Installation

Install the update on both the Gear and the Phone. If you already have sprocket installed on your gear you can update it with the new version v1.1 attached to the first post using Remote Install. To enable notifications click "Enable SMS Notifications" on the Phone version and follow the prompts.

Right now the app supports all notifications for SMS, but if you would like to preview notifications across the entire device you may download a developer key available on the play store. It will unlock all other notifications (including ongoing and button control!) from the device and will help continue development from my end to give you new features to make our device more useful. A preview of these notifications below:

Install Developer Key*

*The developer key only needs to be installed on the phone

I'll be going through the thread to address any issues you have come across. Thank you all for the feedback

Update 7.31.2014
    Hello everyone!

I have a new version available to address some of the issues in the thread as well as to add some new features.

Download

• Whitelist Applications
      • Go to settings/allowed notifications and uncheck the applications you don't want notifications for
      [*]Local Application Updates
      • Updates will be checked on the phone when the application is started. You can also check by going to menu/check for update on your phone
      [*]Crash/Log Reporting
      • When the application crashes, you will be presented with a dialog to send the crash report to me for analysis. This will help resolve issues on different devices.
      [*]Clear Phone Notifications From Gear
      • When you hit clear on the notification screen on your gear, notifications will be cleared on your phone
      [*]Resend Files If Not Connect To Gear at Transfer Time
      • Fixes an issue when you try to send a file when the gear is not connected. The file will send as soon as device is reconnected
      [*]Crash Fixes
      • Fix crash for some ongoing notifications

Update 8.7.2014
    Hello! Thanks for your feedback and crash logs. I've pushed out an update that should take care of the ones I've seen so far with the Nexus 5 crashes and one's when clicking on a conversation on the gear and the contact app is not installed. Let me know if it solves the issues.

Sprocket 1.3b

Thanks,
    East2West

Update 8.9.2014
    Hey Everyone!

I was on vacation last week, so I only had time to push some incremental updates for some bug fixes, but I'm back now and have some new features!

• New UI for bringing up sms messages and notifications
    • New Media Controller
      • Works with any media player that responds to media button events.
      • *Developer Key Needed
    • Clock On Notification Screen
    • Stability Fixes

Screenshots

Update 8.9.2014
    New Update.

• Connection Fixes
      • Fixed an issue where server would not connect on initial app launch
      • Try and reconnect to server on bluetooth toggle
    • New Settings Menu
      • Allows Muting of Notifications. 3 Settings
        • Sound On Symbol - Notifications will vibrate and turn on screen and play the notification sound
        • Vibrate On Symbol - Notifications will only vibrate and not turn on screen
        • Mute Symbol - Notifications will be silent

Update 8.11.2014
    Another Update!

• Extended Notification Detail
      • Click on flashing icon to expand
    • New SMS/MMS Theme
    • Improved MMS image quality
    • Media Controller Now Works With Pandora

Update 8.21.2014

Update 8.24.2014
    Hello! Another update..

1. Widget Support!

For others not able to connect to the gear after upgrading from version 1.3. It may be necessary to upgrade the watch apk manually as the UUID for the bluetooth service has changed and might not be recognized until upgrading the gear to 1.5
    I run this on a K2 W100 and it works really well.
    I installed this on my SmartQ Z1 and oppo find5 (with CM11) and it is pretty sweet! Thanks! I think this might be by favorite notification manager by far (I've used some for the Z1 and the Pebble). :D :D :cowboy: :highfive:
    Updated Version

Hello! Another update..

Sprocket 1.8

1. Widget Support!