Unable to mount \system \data \cache etc. HELP

Search This thread

cnelson3225

Apr 8, 2013
The problem: Overnight my Moto X (xt1056) went dark. Was 80%+ charged, woke up and dead as a door nail.
The day before I took 4.4.4 OTA, flashed TWRP, rooted, backed up the ROM. All turned out fine.
Now when it boots it gets about 80% of the way through the boot animation and then it goes black and nothing ever happens. So I went into recovery and attempted to flash my backup but it fails. NO!!! It says cannot mount \system. Now I cannot wipe anything and I can't mount anything and I cant flash any ROMs.

I have tried flashing back to stock using some unbricking articles, but they all result the same way.

I think I need to reflash the gpt.bin for 4.4.4, but I can't find one. I am open to any ideas, and let me know if you need any other info.
Thanks XDA community!

Last edited:

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
The problem: Overnight my Moto X (xt1060) went dark. Was 80%+ charged, woke up and dead as a door nail.
The day before I took 4.4.4 OTA, flashed TWRP, rooted, backed up the ROM. All turned out fine.
Now when it boots it gets about 80% of the way through the boot animation and then it goes black and nothing ever happens. So I went into recovery and attempted to flash my backup but it fails. NO!!! It says cannot mount \system. Now I cannot wipe anything and I can't mount anything and I cant flash any ROMs.

I have tried flashing back to stock using some unbricking articles, but they all result the same way.

I think I need to reflash the gpt.bin for 4.4.4, but I can't find one. I am open to any ideas, and let me know if you need any other info.
Thanks XDA community!

How about a standard RSD XML restore?

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Just to clarify, the ROM says VZW but this is Sprint, will it matter?

Yep, there IS NO Sprint XT1060.

All XT1060s are VERIZON. Big deal, and big difference. Your first post said you have an XT1060...........

You are in a tough situation if you are using a Sprint Device. The ONLY 4.4.4 SBF that has been released is for Verizon. You may have a brick for possibly weeks until the Sprint 4.4.4 SBF is released....

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
I don't think there is a 444 xt1056 XML ? There is a thread in the dev sec.
Edit but there is no firmware link- XML/Rsd file so you are stuck til a release is out.

Last edited:

cnelson3225

Apr 8, 2013
Yep, there IS NO Sprint XT1060.

All XT1060s are VERIZON. Big deal, and big difference. Your first post said you have an XT1060...........

You are in a tough situation if you are using a Sprint Device. The ONLY 4.4.4 SBF that has been released is for Verizon. You may have a brick for possibly weeks until the Sprint 4.4.4 SBF is released....

I apologize, it is xt1056 Sprint

cnelson3225

Apr 8, 2013
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46834711&postcount=1
There is no solution here. You must wait for the official XML.
Let others note : do not downgrade. Which is what happened here. The borked OTA was just bad luck or an example of how things can go wrong. But the op would be stranded anyway with no XML to fix it yet. But He will not know til the XML comes.

But there is a 4.4.4 ROM there, is that not what I want? I apologize for being such a noob but I don't know what the difference between a XML and SBF are? Well I know what an XML is... Just not in relation to my issue.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
But there is a 4.4.4 ROM there, is that not what I want? I apologize for being such a noob but I don't know what the difference between a XML and SBF are? Well I know what an XML is... Just not in relation to my issue.
Notice how 444 has no firmware button while the others do. Rsd can only flash firmware. Roms are flashed by custom recovery & they only touch boot, system, data & recovery. Rsd does much more. You have borked partitions that, hopefully, only firmware & RSD (or fastboot) can fix.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010

The "XML" is a file inside the SBF that instructs RSD Lite which operations to perform. For all practical purposes, they mean the same thing....

There is ONLY a 4.4.4 SBF for Verizon. You do not want to flash this to your sprint phone - most likely it will get no service.

I'm sorry that your phone is in a non-functional state, but it definitely sounds like you had modified something that caused the OTA update to go wrong. Unless you want to risk permanently bricking your phone, you will do this:

Put it in a drawer somewhere. Re-activate an old device to use in the meantime. Wait until the official 4.4.4 SBF is leaked for the Sprint XT1056 (could be tomorrow, could be next month - no one knows). When it is leaked and appears on the droid-developers site, you can ATTEMPT to flash it, and hopefully you will recover.

Bummer. Bad situation to be in....

cnelson3225

Apr 8, 2013
Notice how 444 has no firmware button while the others do. Rsd can only flash firmware. Roms are flashed by custom recovery & they only touch boot, system, data & recovery. Rsd does much more. You have borked partitions that, hopefully, only firmware & RSD (or fastboot) can fix.

Oh I get it now! So now I need to hope someone releases the firmware and hope that when I flash it it fixes the problem. Right? lol

Last edited:
Reactions: aviwdoowks

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Of course the OTA (Blur.update.zip) needs an intact partition/phone structure to add on to so it is of no value now.

cnelson3225

Apr 8, 2013
The "XML" is a file inside the SBF that instructs RSD Lite which operations to perform. For all practical purposes, they mean the same thing....

There is ONLY a 4.4.4 SBF for Verizon. You do not want to flash this to your sprint phone - most likely it will get no service.

I'm sorry that your phone is in a non-functional state, but it definitely sounds like you had modified something that caused the OTA update to go wrong. Unless you want to risk permanently bricking your phone, you will do this:

Put it in a drawer somewhere. Re-activate an old device to use in the meantime. Wait until the official 4.4.4 SBF is leaked for the Sprint XT1056 (could be tomorrow, could be next month - no one knows). When it is leaked and appears on the droid-developers site, you can ATTEMPT to flash it, and hopefully you will recover.

Bummer. Bad situation to be in....

So if I flash VZW it will work but I won't have service? That would be great because I don't have service now! I was already waiting for Ting to whitelist the Moto X. So if I run that now, I can check back when (if) Ting opens up and perhaps the Sprint one is out. Right?

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
So if I flash VZW it will work but I won't have service? That would be great because I don't have service now! I was already waiting for Ting to whitelist the Moto X. So if I run that now, I can check back when (if) Ting opens up and perhaps the Sprint one is out. Right?

It isn't without risk....but another member says that he did it successfully. A member in my SIM-UNLOCK thread has flashed the VZW firmware to his Sprint Moto X. He did not lose the IMEI, and since he used my sim-unlock method, the phone works on any GSM carrier.

But DO NOT take this as me saying that you SHOULD do this, or that it is safe. I'm warning you that it COULD make your condition worse or could cause irreversible damage. I have NOT done this myself, and I would never recommend it.

It *Might* work for you, but *ONLY* if you have unlocked the bootloader, and its still quite risky. If you do it, you are doing it completely at your own risk - I'm not responsible for anything that goes wrong.

cnelson3225

Apr 8, 2013
I understand. I already F'd up once by taking a risk, I think I learned my lesson. I will wait a bit for the Sprint firmware and if that pans out then I can rethink it.

So the Sprint ROMs page you linked me is the place to watch if it comes?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can't downgrade!!!! Never attempt to flash a previous version. Best/easiest way to BRICK your device!

He means using RSD Lite. But use the 4.4.4 SBF. Use this one:

Just to clarify, the ROM says VZW but this is Sprint, will it matter?

Oh I get it now! So now I need to hope someone releases the firmware and hope that when I flash it it fixes the problem. Right? lol